Skip to content

G3 Announces IWDification; Beta 3 Available

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
edited August 2013 in General Modding
This is the original announcement for Beta 1. See below for Beta 2 info.

IWDification is a mod to bring some of the elements of Icewind Dale into the Baldur's Gate series of games. A lot of this project is based upon the work of the IWD-in-BG2 conversion project. The mod adds various elements such as selectable bard songs, two-handed axes, and over 65 new spells into your BG2, Tutu, BGT, or BGEE game. Every component can be installed independently of one another.
Post edited by CamDawg on
GrammarsaladMortiannaKamigoroshiKilivitzMoomintrollZafiroNeonfiskermo[Deleted User]SpaceInvaderDexterlunarIllustairPadentonxetatanFrozenCellsWilburCrevsDaakPrincess_SarahSchopenhauerButtercheeserakanishuJuliusBorisovjackjackBelgarathMTHLudwig_II

Comments

• KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Thank you!!!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Sweet.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Awesome, @Camdawg! Curious to see how you implemented the Song of Kaudies.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, Song of Kaudies isn't nearly as useful as it is in IWD as there aren't nearly as many sound-based attacks in BG/BG2. It basically grants partial immunity to power words, silence, sirine charm, and (un)holy word.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited July 2013
    Is "Contact Other Plane" (lvl 5 arcane spell)spell working in BG? Cos this spell required a set of scripts of his own linked to IWD quests.

Being destruction implemented (lvl 7 divine spell), will wish spells be able to ressurect characters that die from it?
    Contact Other Plane works dandy, though it still needs dialogue written--right now the planar spirit just says 'yo' and goes away. I'm not sure about Destruction, which is why this is in beta. :)
    kamuizinGodCrevsDaakjackjack
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited July 2013
    What an awesome mod. The new divine spells alone would be worth it, I can't wait to see Jaheira with a bunch of new tricks under her sleeve.

Oh, one thing: the download link at the project's page @ G3 is pointing to the BG2 Tweaks mod. The link on the OP is working, though.
    CamDawgjackjack
    Kilivitz said:

Oh, one thing: the download link at the project's page @ G3 is pointing to the BG2 Tweaks mod. The link on the OP is working, though.

Thanks, this is fixed.

jackjack
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Any chance ((even a (very) small) part of) this could ever be integrated in any future EE patch and/or in BG2EE?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Unless it was intentional, all of the two-handed axes (from normal to +5) have their base prices set to 10 GP. Not that I don't appreciate a good bargain.
    jackjack
  • DeathOfNamesDeathOfNames Member Posts: 40
    This is awesome.

Any chance of adding "Mordenkainen's Force Missiles"? It's included in the "Lost Crossroads Spell Pack" by Galactygon, which unfortunately isn't compatible with BG:EE... yet.

It would be nice in BG2:EE, as it scales rather nicely :)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Cool indeed.
    Only one thing: sorcerers can't choose some spells when they level up, due to the limited "spell window".
    Mortianna said:

Unless it was intentional, all of the two-handed axes (from normal to +5) have their base prices set to 10 GP. Not that I don't appreciate a good bargain.

Yeah, I'll get this fixed for the next version.

Any chance of adding "Mordenkainen's Force Missiles"? It's included in the "Lost Crossroads Spell Pack" by Galactygon, which unfortunately isn't compatible with BG:EE... yet.

The goal is simply to get the IWD spells into the BG/BG2 games, not necessarily make new ones.

Cool indeed.
    Only one thing: sorcerers can't choose some spells when they level up, due to the limited "spell window".

BGEE, BG2?
    BG:EE
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I just ran across a bug with Blood Rage. It immediately insta-kills the recipient of the spell, probably because Opcode 209 (Death: Kill 60HP) is assigned as one of the effects.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524

It's included in the "Lost Crossroads Spell Pack" by Galactygon, which unfortunately isn't compatible with BG:EE... yet.

Purely out of curiosity, have you actually tried the Spell Pack with BG:EE? If you tried it and it didn't work, could you be more specific as to what happened exactly?

IIRC, @Galactygon once said he built the mod with as few assumptions on the engine as possible, and as a consequence it should have been mostly—if not entirely—compatible with BG:EE.

• GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    @CamDawg this mod looks super cool! I have a quick question though. I have already started a bard run (a Skald). If I Shadowkeeper him to pure-class after I have installed the mod, will I be able to use the new bard songs (will they appear as I level)? If not, will I be able to add them via shadowkeeper or something? And do they show up under innate abilities or does a new menu appear when clicking the harp (sounds hard to do...)?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    I believe they should just show up immediately; if not then they should at the next level up.

Basically, you get a series of innate abilities (cdibar1-6) that let you swap the bard song, so you 'cast' the innate to change. Once it's swapped to the song you want you just use the bard song icon as normal.
    Emotion: Hopelessness scroll has no icon.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Can I use this on iPad without jailbreaking the device? Like dropping it on the portraits folder as I've read on other threads for some other mods
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Illustair said:

Can I use this on iPad without jailbreaking the device? Like dropping it on the portraits folder as I've read on other threads for some other mods

Spell descriptions and new scroll descriptions will be either empty or wonky, since you can't edit dialog.tlk on Ipad without jailbreak. The spells should be usable, but any new text, new spell name, new description added, will be wrong and weird.

Illustairjackjack
    Ouch that sucks, but thanks anyway! I hope this can be remedied by the devs, if possible...I'm sure players would want to extend mods to these portable devices as well. The words BG and mods simply go perfectly well together
    lunar said:

Illustair said:

Spell descriptions and new scroll descriptions will be either empty or wonky, since you can't edit dialog.tlk on Ipad without jailbreak. The spells should be usable, but any new text, new spell name, new description added, will be wrong and weird.
    Actually, they probably wouldn't even be usable--a lot of the spells and scrolls need processing (assignment of projectiles and whatnot) so you can't even just drop in the files.
    lunarjackjack
  • THX1139THX1139 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Error - to be suppressed. Sorry.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    edited August 2013
    Illustair said:

Ouch that sucks, but thanks anyway! I hope this can be remedied by the devs, if possible...I'm sure players would want to extend mods to these portable devices as well. The words BG and mods simply go perfectly well together

These kind of mods will work on relatively open platforms like Android with too much issue, assuming that the Android version of the game isnt radically different 'under the hood' than the other versions.

This isn't a problem to be 'remedied by the devs'. It is a design feature of Apple products. You don't own the device, you are just leasing it from Apple, etc.

You bought a closed-platform, anti-owner, anti-modification device, you generally won't be able to get mods beyond the most cosmetic (portrait and soundsets) without circumventing the anti-owner provisions of the device. IE, you made your bed, now lie in it.
    IllustairThunder
    I get it now, thanks for the clear explanation. Should have bought android then..tsk! BG without mods is a bit lonely
    enneract said:

These kind of mods will work on relatively open platforms like Android with too much issue, assuming that the Android version of the game isnt radically different 'under the hood' than the other versions.

Let's not chalk up any points in the fanboi wars just yet. We'll still need a version of WeiDU for Android first.
    LiamEslerCerevantCrevsDaakjackjack
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    CamDawg said:

enneract said:

Let's not chalk up any points in the fanboi wars just yet. We'll still need a version of WeiDU for Android first.
    I really would be surprised if that was needed. You could probably mod the game on PC, then just copy your .tlk and other modified files.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people keep on topic. If anyone wants to discuss modding Android or open x closed platform just crete a new thread in the off topic section.
    jackjack
    Beta 2 is out. If you read nothing else, read this:

Updating from Beta 1 to Beta 2 will mess up your save games due to some necessary internal changes. New games will be fine.

The big update is the new icons. Over the course of editing 180 or so of those bastards I'm sure mistakes were made, so please give them some extra attention when you play--are the backgrounds transparent, do the scrolls change when you pick them up, random green pixels, etc. Otherwise it's some bug fixes, as noted in the changelog:
    • Made a first pass at having the new spell icons blend in
    • Added lore and prices to Two-Handed Axes
    • Cat's Grace wasn't being added to any stores
    • Added Cure Moderate Wounds
    • Shambling mounds summoned by Stalker no longer drop their paws
    • Entropy Shield wasn't blocking Icelance
    • Emotion: Hopelessness scroll now has icon
    • Blood Rage had an extraneous effect that would kill the target
    • Alicorn Lance now uses a nicer glow on the target
    • Static Charge's initial charge worked, but not its followup damage
    • Zone of Sweet Air should now clear the new cloud-based spells
    jackjack