Skip to content

Struck by lightning, twice!

13»

Comments

• dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    edited May 2013
    Lighting strikes a lot. I've been doing a lot of no reload games and it happens a lot (I've been fortunate for charname not to be the target). I actually took off all of the metal gear that Khalid and Jaheira were wearing while traveling a couple times out of the chance that metal equipment causes it (I really don't know one way or the other). It definitely adds flavor to the game, but it scares the shit out of me.

Add. Speaking of lighting strikes. I charmed a bear with Kivan, and after he tanked some orgrillons for me, he was struck by lightening! He was near death, so I kindly put him out of his misery (I have no cleric in my party). That is a first for me.
    Post edited by dstoltzfus on
    ZalsonMortianna
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited May 2013
    Okay, the lightning strikes are getting ridiculous. My character (Necromancer) was fighting a skeleton, which got hit twice, and then she was struck three times in a row (the third one charred her to a crisp). She was even wearing Boots of Grounding (Talos' Gift). Lay off it, Talos!
    dstoltzfuselminsterCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Did anyone report this as a bug or is its damage/frequency no different than it was during the original?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I didn't read the whole thread by I think it depends on the armor you are wearing.
    Btw I got 50+ damage on Insane...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Zafiro said:

I actually got saved by lightning once; this assassin introduced by a mod got hit instead, I was a deader for sure. Unless it was a bug.

That's awesome. :D

I want to make a killing blow with a sword on a humanoid opponent one day, trigger a chunking death animation, get enough experience points to level up, and then get hit by lightning.
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    Don't think that the frequency or behaviour of natural lightning was changed with EE, but I could be wrong.

Just got Shar-Teel hit almost killing her while attacking two guardians of the iron throne. Then both of them also where struck, and died. That was really impressive and I'll never forget that :).
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    I was hit maybe once throughout all my games since I started playing this game.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    *reads first post thoroughly*

Clearly the problem is that you didn't stand still after the first time. Lightning can't strike the same place twice.
    SilverstarFredjoCrevsDaak
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Well obviously I knew that much. It was a joke. Though the meaning's lost when I gotta explain it ;D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    The Lord of Murder shall perish. And in his doom he shall randomly smite people with lightning just for the hell of it. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Didn't the prophecies go something like that? I could swear they did.
    jackjackmlneveseFredjoCrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Silverstar That's the Talos edition. Candlekeep's Monks have some doubts if that edition can be trusted...
    SilverstarFredjoCrevsDaakZaghoul
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2013
    Nice little fight with 5-6 Dogs.
    One Dog was killed from lightning, a second lightning hit ?nothing? and the fight was over -> want to save "not able" and a 3 lightning killed the hurt Rasaad.

:-(
  • Gonzo100100Gonzo100100 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2017
    I am sorry but I didn’t read all the thread. Nevertheless, instead of creating a new topic I wanted to ask, I know I can turn off weather conditions but is it possible to keep the weather conditions but change the chance of being struck by the lightening? It’s incredibly annoying that I’m getting struck basically on every storm especially that I like to take my time to explore different locations. In my opinion how the EE behaves in that regard is very unrealistic and not pleasant in any way. I know that in original BG1 it was possible to be struck by lightning and yet it didn’t happen to me more then maybe once or twice in few playthroughs.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I am sorry but I didn’t read all the thread. Nevertheless, instead of creating a new topic I wanted to ask, I know I can turn off weather conditions but is it possible to keep the weather conditions but change the chance of being struck by the lightening? It’s incredibly annoying that I’m getting struck basically on every storm especially that I like to take my time to explore different locations. In my opinion how the EE behaves in that regard is very unrealistic and not pleasant in any way. I know that in original BG1 it was possible to be struck by lightning and yet it didn’t happen to me more then maybe once or twice in few playthroughs.

BACKUP "no_lightning/backup"
    AUTHOR CrevsDaak
    VERSION v1.0

BEGIN "Remove random lightning strikes"
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP "^.*\.are$" override
    WRITE_SHORT 0x50 0
    BUT_ONLY
    Ardanis
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    That is a bugger sometimes. My favorite of the this was while fighting greater basiliks on top of Durlag's Tower during a storm with a priest of Talos and a lighting strike came down form the heavens killing it deader than a doornail. Talk about favor of the gods.
    ThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I would love to see a mod where a character, be it CHARNAME or an NPC, who gets struck by lightning twice is automatically renamed "Bernie".
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Rigel wrote: »
    The party of my character, a halfling priest of Lathander called Myrtle Leafshadow, was wandering in the area of the Sword Coast (after Nashkel mines and before the bandits camp). The party was composed of Myrtle, Imoen, Minsc, Rasaad, Neera and Xan. A couple of days ago, they helped a young priest of Umberlee who was being persecuted by followers of Talos. Even if Myrtle was not very keen on Umberlee, the situation was so outrageous that she decided to side with her. One of Talos followers told her that the God would not forget her... and he was right.
    Suddenly, when they approached the coast, they were attacked by two carrion crawlers. And then a storm erupted, a lighting fell and killed one of the beast. A couple of minutes later, two lightning strikes killed instantly poor Rasaad. They buried his - fried- remains under a pine tree. Myrtle was convinced that this was the vengeance of Talos...

A nice feature would be if a Priest of Talos couldn't be struck by lightning. Better yet, an increased chance for enemies to be struck during a thunderstorm!
    JuliusBorisovZaghoul
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    You might be onto something here! In some of my games the lightning strike seems to happen excessively frequently and in others, not. If I were to look back at the saves I might find that my luck had changed for the worse if I headed North of the Ankhegs early in the playthrough...

If this is something that was built into the EEs deliberately I'd give the developers a pat on the back! Time for some experiments I think.
    Balrog99
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Rigel wrote: »
    The party of my character, a halfling priest of Lathander called Myrtle Leafshadow, was wandering in the area of the Sword Coast (after Nashkel mines and before the bandits camp). The party was composed of Myrtle, Imoen, Minsc, Rasaad, Neera and Xan. A couple of days ago, they helped a young priest of Umberlee who was being persecuted by followers of Talos. Even if Myrtle was not very keen on Umberlee, the situation was so outrageous that she decided to side with her. One of Talos followers told her that the God would not forget her... and he was right.
    Suddenly, when they approached the coast, they were attacked by two carrion crawlers. And then a storm erupted, a lighting fell and killed one of the beast. A couple of minutes later, two lightning strikes killed instantly poor Rasaad. They buried his - fried- remains under a pine tree. Myrtle was convinced that this was the vengeance of Talos...

A nice feature would be if a Priest of Talos couldn't be struck by lightning. Better yet, an increased chance for enemies to be struck during a thunderstorm!

@Balrog99

DoF's (and PnP's) Priest of Talos are immune to lightning.
    Balrog99Zaghoul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yeah, 3 times is the biggest amount of subsequent lightning strikes I've seen. Long live your Cavalier!
    gorgonzola
  • UlvarylUlvaryl Member Posts: 217
    My shadowdancer have been fought against few iron throne mercenaries in cloakwood area. Suddenly lightning bolt struck from afar and hit one of them. Okay, this was a minimal reload run, so i've decided it's worth to use one of my potions of absorbtion to ensure my character won't suffer from this mess. Could anything went wrong? SURE.
    Third bolt hit right at my character and almost killed her. There was no way to heal all damage taken, so I've decided to run in order to reach Wyvern Lair and use it as a shelter. Fourth bolt fell on her head 20 second later, but somehow missed. Then, after another 15 seconds she was hit again, third time in a row and this time it was fatal. 100% electricity resistance didnt help at all.
    :(