Skip to content

What is your favorite magic item in BG1?

Please state your:

FAVORITE
Green stone amulet. Nothing is more aggravating then being held or charmed in some way. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. Which is why I love the beserker class so much. This amulet is awesome.

MOST USEFUL
The wand of sleep is a phenomenally useful item. It can be used by anybody with a functioning brain (except wizard slayers). I find myself tossing the wand around in combat, like "make yourself useful". You can slaughter ogre beserkers with this thing, LOTS of them. It's affordable, rechargeable, and a must have item.

MOST POWERFUL
I used to think of the wand of monster summoning as the most powerful, because you could use it round after round and create a horde of monsters that enemies need to deal with, while you nuke said enemies from a nice safe distance. I understand that it has more limitations now, as does the spell. So I will go with the...Gloves of brawling (dexterity). Think about it! The resale value of this item is laughably low, especially when you consider the fact that is can raise a single attribute FIFTEEN POINTS. If you have a 3 DEX, you put these on, and now you have an 18 DEX. This is the item that can make just about any character way more awesome. And that is POWERFUL.
sarevok57SCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisovAristillius

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    FAVORITE
    Sword of Berserking +3. It's a huge, deadly advantage early on in Minsc, Dorn, or CHARNAME's hands. But, it requires some micro-management and preparation to minimize the risks to the rest of the party, and it can make you indirectly immune to certain spells and effects, both facets lend a depth and strategy to its use.

MOST USEFUL
    Virtually any potion that provides bonuses. They can make the difference between obliterating Drizzt/Elminster, or some other powerful creatures, or being obliterated.

MOST POWERFUL
    I agree with the Dexterity gloves, here. A single item that makes otherwise less desirable companions some of the best in the game? I think so.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    FAVOURITE
    A rusty halberd... roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat.

MOST USEFUL
    Larloch's Minor Drain scrolls.

MOST POWERFUL
    The violet potion, provided it is used in conjunction with a few other items.
    SCARY_WIZARDSouthpawOneAngryMushroomMalicron
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Favorite:
    Not exactly a magic item, but the Butter Knife of Balduran. I freaking love that thing. It's just so cool.

Most Useful:
    Potion of Healing. Cheap, plentiful, keeps you from dying.

Most Powerful:
    Potion of Magic Shielding. Because +20 to all saves is makes nearly everything trivial.
    CaptRorySCARY_WIZARDAristillius
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Favorite: Ring of Wizardry
    Useful: Elixer of Health
    Powerful: Wands. Just wands.
    JuliusBorisov
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Varscona. Always.

And then the Dagger of Venom.
    meagloth
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    FAVORITE:
    Ring of Wizardry. It makes all the difference at low levels and allows you to memorize a wider variety of your 1st level spells.

MOST USEFUL:
    Wand of Paralyzation. One of my most reliable contingency plans when on the losing end of a battle.

MOST POWERFUL:
    Arrow of Detonation. It's a bit too powerful, IMO, since you get at least 2 APR. If I do use them, I only use one per battle, so I don't cheese the game.
    CoM_Solaufeinsarevok57
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Love Arrows of Detonation.
    Mortianna said:

FAVORITE:
    Ring of Wizardry. It makes all the difference at low levels and allows you to memorize a wider variety of your 1st level spells.

MOST USEFUL:
    Wand of Paralyzation. One of my most reliable contingency plans when on the losing end of a battle.

MOST POWERFUL:
    Arrow of Detonation. It's a bit too powerful, IMO, since you get at least 2 APR. If I do use them, I only use one per battle, so I don't cheese the game.

sarevok57
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited September 2013
    Favourite: brawling hands... So handy for making the damage dealers capable of surviving melee, or making Kagain the tank that won't quit. Well, he'll run away if you aren't careful.

Useful: ring of wizardry. Versatility much? Early game it's a godsend for a vanilla Mage.

Powerful: strength boosting stuff... Just plain ridiculous how much more useful certain characters are with an 18/00. You get it midgame, so it's going to help decide some battles. Khalid late game has no business actually attacking late game without it! ;) potions can make a tough fight a cakewalk... Kagain with 21 str? And 18 dex?? You can use that early, too.

Mentions to the cloak of balduran and greenstone.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited September 2013
    FAVOURITE
    Honorary Ring of Sune, or Ring of Holiness. I like healers. This ring makes them healer better, by having more spells to healer with in one day. And Sune is so nice, this ring even works on those smelly eco-terrorists known as Druids!

MOST USEFUL
    Wand of Polymorphing, for those Flaming Fist idjits. Or any other idjit, can't save against it.

MOST POWERFUL
    Containers pls. Like, Bag of Holding? That's powerful, because it can hold lots of powerful things in it!
    JuliusBorisovMortiannaGawdzilla
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Favorite - Dagger of Venom
    Most Useful - Gloves of Dexterity
    Most Powerful - Algernons Cloak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    FAVOURITE Belt of Masculinity/Femininity

MOST USEFUL
    Algeron's Cloak: You can still get it early on, it still gives +2 to charisma and its still an effective item in its own way.

MOST POWERFUL
    Wand of Paralysis: For all those bosses you just want to paralyze and then pummel to death.

CaptRoryJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Favourite:
    Helm and Cloak of Balduran - Incredibly powerful items; saving throw bonuses, AC bonuses, magic resistance, bonus HP, bonus to hit

Most Useful:
    Spiderbane - deals great damage and makes it so you can cast web all silly like while enemies get paralyzed and you just start chunking them to bits

Most Powerful:
    Protection From Magic Scroll - Outrageously powerful, makes you IMMUNE to any mage/spellcaster period, there is only 2 instances I use them in the game
    top floor of the iron throne building visit 1, and in the undercellars starting at the skeleton warriors so then I don't have to detect any of the traps just have them go off and have no effect on the protected party member
    in fact they are so crazy powerful there is only 2 in all of SoA/ToB, and yet there is only 2 demiliches as well............ :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    sarevok57 said:

Favourite:
    Helm and Cloak of Balduran - Incredibly powerful items; saving throw bonuses, AC bonuses, magic resistance, bonus HP, bonus to hit

Most Useful: Summoning Monsters - This is the one thing I used in the original Baldur's Gate 1 game and I simply loved how I used swarms of gnolls and wolves in order to get close to Sarevok back then with such a crap party in order to win.

Most powerful: Gauntlets of Dexterity - That stuff is DAYUUUUUUUUUM! One of my main things to go for early in the game because they have such weak creatures protecting them and they're in such a gorgeous spot to get a tome nearby as well. It's like killing a stone with two birds.
    Flashburn
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Fav: Varscona. I also have a soft spot for the Ashideena, despite of how badly it was nerfed.
    Useful & Powerful: Stupefier, easy
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    elminster said:

FAVOURITE Belt of Masculinity/Femininity

MOST USEFUL
    Algeron's Cloak: You can still get it early on, it still gives +2 to charisma and its still an effective item in its own way.

MOST POWERFUL
    Wand of Paralysis: For all those bosses you just want to paralyze and then pummel to death.

I must admit, Sarevok eventually failed that save vs death while facing my solo sorcerer... Not sure what mods are kicking around, but super fast sarevok chasing me around with fricken doom guards is not a time to worry about dignity. Technically, it was gnolls that earned the kill.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

FAVORITE
    Dagger of Venom and Green Stone amulet.

MOST USEFUL
    Potions and certain wands.

MOST POWERFUL
    Protection scrolls. Protection from magic will net some of the hardest encounters really easy. Put protection from petrification on yourself and hack away at the basilisks...

• OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    FAVORITE: Golden Pantaloons, Trousers you would be proud to take home to mother, if mother rode fast and fought hard.

MOST USEFUL: Potions of Giant strength. Wow, would you look at the chunks fly!

MOST POWERFUL: Wands, any type really.
    lolien
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    FAVORITE: Tomes. You just get a warm, cozy feeling when you've got one in your inventory. Even if it is just a wisdom or intelligence tome to make your illiterate Barbarian drool less in public.

MOST USEFUL: Gem bags, Scroll cases and Potion cases. They've fixed so many headaches.

MOST POWERFUL: The Stupifier and Wands of Paralysis are definite contenders. They both have the potential to turn "ohcrapohcrapohcrap Aec'Letec is eating my party" moments into surprising victories.
    Stormvessel
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Favorite
    Most Useful
    Most Powerful

The winner is... THE STUPEFIER!!!
    elminsterMetalloman
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Tysonm1 said:

sarevok57 said:

It's like killing a stone with two birds.

don't you mean it's like getting 2 birds stoned at once?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Favorite - Potion Container. I like the way it looks. It is the prettiest of all containers.

Most Useful - Wand of Sleep; especially in annoying encounters with archers like bandits and kobolds.

Most Powerful - Wand of Paralyzation.
    SCARY_WIZARDEudaemonium
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Claw of Kazagroth....my precious.

MortiannaEudaemonium
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Favourite-Dagger of Venom(when i can hit anything with it).

Most Useful-Gloves of Dexterity(someone always needs them)

Most Powerful-Wand of Paralyzation(For that,shit my PCs in trouble here moment.HERE EAT THIS! )
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81

Tysonm1 said:

sarevok57 said:

It's like killing a stone with two birds.

don't you mean it's like getting 2 birds stoned at once?
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't...like some crazy proverb-altering hippie....

"Hey mister eagle! Yeah, it's all natural, you'll love it. You'll be flying higher than ever! Bring over the missus..."
    elminster
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

FAVORITE
    Sword of Berserking +3. It's a huge, deadly advantage early on in Minsc, Dorn, or CHARNAME's hands. But, it requires some micro-management and preparation to minimize the risks to the rest of the party, and it can make you indirectly immune to certain spells and effects, both facets lend a depth and strategy to its use.

Way too much maintenance, especially at low level!
    SCARY_WIZARDTJ_Hooker
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Favourite: Gauntlets of Dexterity - turns worthless NPCs into valuable companions.

Most Useful: the new containers for potions/scrolls - their absence in original BG1 made inventory management a real pain.

Most Powerful: the Wand of Paralyzation - an instant victory device against most enemies.
    Gawdzilla
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Favourite: Wand of Magic Missiles - if used in time it can interrupt these annoying wizards as soon as they start casting spells. I just like the feeling "I spoiled your magic!"

Most Useful: Potion of Invisibility - it can be a life saver - your character has been seriously wounded and you understand he'll be dead in a few seconds - gulp! - and you're alive. You see an enemy mage casts Magic Missiles at your main char on the insane difficulty (an instant death on low levels) - gulp! - you're saved. This is the most useful item in any no-reload run.

Most Powerful: Wand of Paralyzation - from the 10th charge I even managed to paralyze Sarevok in the final fight. He ran after Monty all the time I kept trying to paralyze him (he used to save against wands) and - at last - Imoen did it. He became dead in a matter of seconds. I call this wand the most powerful item in the game because it alone can decide even the final fight.
    Stormvessel
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    FAVOURITE
    Balduran's cloak. Don't know why but I have always been a sucker for black cloaks. And this cloak is a really good boost for any character (specially mages with that armor class bonus).

MOST USEFUL
    Wand of Sleep. I must confess that I rarely use it though.

MOST POWERFUL
    Gauntlets of dexterity. Hands down.