Skip to content

[Spoilers!] The long avaited Major update 15.11.2013 All you wanted to know about Hexxat

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
BG2:EE will give us a new NPC, a thief, her name is "Hexxat" (pronounced as - HEK-sat -).

You can call this discussion as a personal page of Hexxat.

Here's her portrait (the new one, of the best quality)

NEW INFORMATION:

Neutral Evil, Human Female, Thief.

A regular patron of the Copper Coronet, she spends most of her time there seeking adventurers to join an expedition to Dragomir's Tomb. Hexxat insists there is great treasure to be found within the tomb, but her distracted air and tentative manner make it difficult for even the most adventurous souls to fully trust her. Even if what she claims is true, she hardly seems capable of the most basic tasks, never mind the raiding of a tomb.

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW A LOT MORE click here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/396220/#Comment_396220.

Her concept art and her music (http://soundcloud.com/beamdog) provide a great thrill, giving an intense feeling of excitement.

She'll be a romanceable option, probably for female characters as well as male ones.

Yeah, and she seems to be cool, I already like her!
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
SCARY_WIZARDAristilliusStarflower2525EudaemoniumDjimmyThe_Guilty_Partyzupskysunset00EffinyDarkDoggShapiroKeatsDarkMageCrevsDaakCoryNewbIkMarcBeetleWonderboy2402NecdilzorGemHoundQbertlolien

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Kaeloree said:

demigoddess

Now you have my attention...
    Fredjo
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    Kaeloree said:

Confirmed: New NPC to be a romanceable Werecapybara half-tiefling half-drow demigoddess.*

*May or not be accurate.

id totally romance a Werecapybara!! haha. too funny.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Isn't it possible that Hexxat is the name of the protagonist on that screenshot?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    "Hexxat" seems more like the name of a male sorcerer than a female thief.

Anyway, a bit disappointed that she's a vanilla thief. Is that what you meant, or did you just mean to say that she is definitely not a thief/mage etc.?

I hope she has dual-class potential. I guessed a year ago that a new evil thief NPC would be a cleric/thief priestess of Mask, so I'm crossing my fingers that she'll have 17 Wisdom =D
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2013
    @Kilivitz: In the third screenshot, only the new thief is selected - it's definitely Hexxat.

@Madhax: Trent Oster called her a "pure rogue" at PAX, so take that for what it's worth.

@bengoshi: I think she's also the designated romance option for female PCs...
    JuliusBorisovStarflower2525
    Well, I have enough faith in the devs of these games to assume that we won't simply get a random vanilla thief. If her name really is Hexxat, there's got to be SOMETHING interesting going on with her.

That, or she hates her parents and wears lots of eye shadow.
    QuartzThe_New_RomanceAristilliusCrevsDaak
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Does 'pure rogue' mean 'vanilla thief'? Surely Assassins, Swashbucklers and Bounty Hunters are every bit as much a rogue as vanilla thieves. Hell, so are Bards and all their kits, although they have misled significantly if she's going to be a bard.
    @pixie359

I'd be very surprised if she was a bard. BG2 players with evil Charnames have been begging for an evil thief for a decade, and a bard simply doesn't fill that gap. Besides, Haer'Dalis is evil-compatible.

I agree with you that a kit thief is probably/hopefully what Trent meant. A shadowdancer or assassin would be cool.
    Valchist
    @Madhax: That's like saying Rasaad is a random vanilla monk (which, technically, he is) - there's more to them than just their classes.

@pixie359: Taken in context with the information already provided (she's referred to as a "mysterious thief" rather than a "mysterious assassin", for example) and other comments the devs have made, it's pretty clear he was referring to the core thief class.
    JuliusBorisov
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    @shawne: I'm not convinced it does mean that. Had they been introducing Keldorn or Cernd and wanted to keep some mystery, I wouldn't be surprised if they only referred to them as 'a Paladin of Torm' and 'that useless Druid'. This doesn't give away kits. However, this is speculation all the way until November of course.
    Aristillius
    @Shawne

Except that, before the patch 2014, there weren't monk kits. Vanilla thieves are basically worthless in BG when compared to their kits, and the only reason to play one is to multiclass or dual-class it. And with the dual-class, it's still probably better to go assassin or swashbuckler, depending on the thief's focus.

But I don't think we're actually in disagreement here. We both expect interesting things out of Hexxat. If she actually is simply a single-class, non-kit thief, I expect there to be something else going on to make her stand out. Maybe she's a vampire, or a werewolf, or perhaps she has a scripted event forcing her to dual-class into a new Cleric kit. It simply isn't possible that, with all of the interesting thief kits available, we'd still only have basic thieves in this game.
    @Madhax: Except there are no basic thieves in this game: Imoen and Nalia can't advance their thief skills, Jan is multiclassed (so he can't progress as far as you'd want him to if you were looking to rob vendors in Athkatla, for example) and Yoshimo can only help you up to a point. The core thief may seem unexciting, but Hexxat would literally be the first of her class in BG2 (and the incentive to use her, on top of whatever questline she has, is that she'll outperform the competition).

Similarly, giving her a kit - especially Assassin or Shadowdancer - is problematic because she'd have fewer skill points, which undermines the whole reason she exists in the first place.
    Sjerrie
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    shawne said:

Similarly, giving her a kit - especially Assassin or Shadowdancer - is problematic because she'd have fewer skill points, which undermines the whole reason she exists in the first place.

This here is the only reason why I think it's even possible that Overhaul may have kept her a vanilla Thief. That said, from my experience Assassins have plenty of points later on, but yes, it's a little tight at first.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    From the screens her sprite looks single class - she's still got the rogue hood which vanishes once you dual.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well this was unexpected.

BG2 fans, I salute you for your diligence.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Personally I don't really care whether she has a kit or not. You can always use EEKeeper to make her what you want. However, I wouldn't mind a swashbuckler if she comes with a piratey attitude and dialogue (although the portrait doesn't really seem to hint at that.)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited September 2013
    Nice thread. I hope that's not the real name. Not cool... or maybe it's just me.
    QuartzCrevsDaak
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If I had to guess I'd say she's probably a Shadowdancer, because a) it's the new thief kit, and b) Shadowdancer doesn't really describe her profession the way Assassin or Bounty Hunter do, so referring to her simply as a thief makes more sense (although the same argument can be made for Swashbuckler).
    alnairAristillius
  • albinocobraalbinocobra Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2013
    Well we could call Minsc "bland" because he's "just a ranger" but we know better than that, don't we? So lets save judgement on this supposed vanilla thief for when we actually have a chance to "meet" her (god this sounded wrong >.<).

P.S. I really, REALLY hope they make her neutral so good parties can use her too. I've been looking forward to the new NPC for far too long, and for some reason I just can't make an evil party.
    JuliusBorisov
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I kind of hope she's neutral. Though maybe I'll use her either way because I love me some pure thief.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    In principle, @Kaeloree, of course you're right. I'm sure she'll have an interesting story, and it'd also be in keeping with precedent for NPCs if she had some unusual special ability not available to other members of her class.

Just as a pedantic technicality, however, Keldorn isn't "just" a Paladin - he's Inquisitor kitted, and kitting is what people are debating here. But yes, Minsc is "just" an unkitted Ranger and Mazzy is "just" an unkitted Fighter, yet both of them are fun and useful.

I really, REALLY hope they make her neutral so good parties can use her too.

Agreed, @albinocobra. A Thief who can level up and develop is conspicuously missing from the Good NPCs as well as the Evil NPCs, so (since we're only getting one new NPC) it's much more sensible for her to be Neutral and available to all.

I think it's fine if she's an unkitted Thief. The kits all have advantages, but they each have disadvantages too. With only one new NPC being supplied, versatility to suit the maximum range of party-composition and playing-style is important, and the vanilla Thief may be best for that.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Quartz said:

Well we could call Minsc "bland" because he's "just a ranger" but we know better than that, don't we?

No. No I don't. I seriously fail to see what is so captivating about Minsc. Dumb benevolent brute who has an affinity for furry animals? He's a cliché.
    Not to mention a bully who tries to kill you if you don't help him, like you owe him something.
    QuartzMortiannaCrevsDaak
  • OYMEOYME Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    shawne said:

Who says she has to have low thief points due to her class? Edwin will always be a better pure mage then you, Viconia will always be a better pure cleric then you, Dorn will always be a better blackguard then you, & Sarevok will always be a better pure fighter then you. So with that said, our new thief could be a shadowdancer without any thief penalties; as in she has more spent already then what should be possible. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Good thief gear that only she can wear similar to what Jan wears can also work.
    Aristillius