Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    SCS + Ascension ... 2 months to realease. IS IT IN THE GAME SIR?!?! ... the f.a.q. makes me all tingly ... I need moderation!
    kiai
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2013
    Just how popular is this forum? It seems to have a very active community.
    Itomon
  • kiaikiai Member Posts: 18

SCS + Ascension ... 2 months to realease. IS IT IN THE GAME SIR?!?! ... the f.a.q. makes me all tingly ... I need moderation!

Interesting question, I've overseen the whole discussion if it will be included. Question to be added: Will it be turnable on and off?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    MonkLover said:

Just how popular is this forum? It seems to have a very active community.

I can't say how popular it is but its fairly active. I think the announcement of BG2EE has made it pick up steam more.
    TJ_HookerMonkLoverStarflower2525Ascerion
  • RadwulfRadwulf Member Posts: 49
    I've heard that Overhaul is interested in other old infinity games such as Planescape Torment. Given that my preference is Linux, and assuming they do Linux support, will all games that use the new multi-platform engine be easily portable so that we won't have to wait for non-Windows versions?
    Goddardalnair
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    I agree with Radwulf. I am hoping for the same thing and I am willing to pay more.
    alnair
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Technically Thieves and Bards get shortchanged by a level 40 cap, they should be able to hit 46! Will they be able to do so in BG2EE? ;)
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    What sort of proportion of the 350,000+ words will we be able to see with a solo or multiplayer party, as opposed to a character collecting single player?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited September 2013
    36.3%

but seriously, it will depend on what adventures you choose to undertake and what class/race/alignment you are.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Well yes, but I was wondering if @Dee or whoever could say something about whether we *need* to take new NPCs to feel a difference in the game.

For example, there are quite a few words associated with eg D'Arnise Keep. There are more if you Nalia with you, but not really that many.

So will it be something like 80+% new content is available whatever your party, or will only parties that take all four new NPCs get anything like that much?

Words is a pretty poor metric for this I think, but that's the only one they have discussed really.
    redline
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    For the new GUI, will there be an option to make the bottom part not transparent? I saw the screenshots and to me it looks a little distracting.
  • ForliezenForliezen Member Posts: 18
    I have Baldur's Gate EE for Windows, but I'm eagerly anticipating the Android release for my Nexus 7. Without rooting my Android device, will I be able to transfer my saved game files between my PC and my tablet?
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    It has been mentioned too many times that certain variables (such as NPC romances) cannot be transferred between games. Are we going to have conversation options that can put those variables in place? I think NWN2:MotB had something like this if you managed to restore Ammon Jerro you could tell him what you remembered and then he would tell you what happened to your allies based on that.
    Itomon
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Or better yet, revise save game importing in BG2 in order to allow importing variables from a BG1 save file. (Of course, if you just import your character file, the variables do not transfer.)
  • KAZAMAJINKAZAMAJIN Member Posts: 8
    will there be an option to use the old baldurs gate 2 UI?
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    Can you tell us something we don't know about Baldur's Gate?
    (fun fact, stats, dev story, or anything else)
    Itomon
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i think the PC response in the starting dialogue with NPC could determine the relationship/variable and change the tone of at least the first conversation. it has been done in original it doesn't make sense not to use it again.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    About the localization : when the language packs (audio) will be available, will we have the option to keep the original version with translated subtitles ?
    I'm really happy that my french fellow will be able someday to play a French BGEE, but i'm myself fond of what is currently available : english version with subtitles / translated texts. I hope this is what you planto do.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Palanthis said:

About the localization : when the language packs (audio) will be available, will we have the option to keep the original version with translated subtitles ?
    I'm really happy that my french fellow will be able someday to play a French BGEE, but i'm myself fond of what is currently available : english version with subtitles / translated texts. I hope this is what you planto do.

I don't think that will be ready for the next patch, but that is definitely something we're looking at.
    edited September 2013
    @ Dee: by "not ready" you mean the audio packs or the option to have english version with translated texts ?
    It would be sad to lose what we have now, because this is working and closer to the 'true version" of BG. Audio packs should be another option besides the Original version with subtitles.
    I hope what i'm speaking of is understandable. Excuse my poor english ^^
    Palanthis said:

@ Dee: by "not ready" you mean the audio packs or the option to have english version with translated texts ?
    It would be sad to lose what we have now, because this is working and closer to the 'true version" of BG. Audio packs should be another option besides the Original version with subtitles.
    I hope what i'm speaking of is understandable. Excuse my poor english ^^

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer--I meant the ability to choose a different language for voice and subtitles.
    Hmm, that's really sad. I 'm almost sure the audio packs will come out in the next patch, and this means i could lose the english audio / french texts i'm using now.
    Anyway, i hope you'll be able to add this option soon. Thank you.
    Anton
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    are HLA abilities redone? is there some more variety between kits, new abilities, etc.?
    or are they just as they were?
  • KAZAMAJINKAZAMAJIN Member Posts: 8
    KAZAMAJIN said:

or simply change the colour to the old brownish one, new one just doesnt suit the "shadows of amn" for me, offputting (forgive my awful english its 2:30 in the morning :( )

KAZAMAJIN said:

KAZAMAJIN said:

or simply change the colour to the old brownish one, new one just doesnt suit the "shadows of amn" for me, offputting (forgive my awful english its 2:30 in the morning :( )

You can see the BG2EE UI in this screenshot:

That's the UI that will be used in BG2EE; we don't currently have any plans to offer alternate UI's.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Laurensvo92Laurensvo92 Member Posts: 33
    Is it possible to somehow remaster the sprites?
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    A while back i bought the infinity collection that atari released and beat BG1 with a character. Will i be able to use a non EE BG character in BG2:EE?

Is it possible to somehow remaster the sprites?

Not without a whole lot of work; each animation sprite has somewhere between 25 and 200 frames, all of which would have to be created--and there are hundreds of sprites in the game.

So technically it's possible, but it's not something we're prepared to attempt.
    Baxyratty said:

A while back i bought the infinity collection that atari released and beat BG1 with a character. Will i be able to use a non EE BG character in BG2:EE?

You'll need to import a BGEE character in order for it to work in BG2EE.

You should, however, be able to import your vBG1 character into vBG2, export it there, and then import the exported character into BG2EE. I can't guarantee that will work, but the character files in BG2EE use the same character format as vBG2.
This discussion has been closed.