Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    There are a few areas in Bg2 that are actually recycled areas from Bg1. The temple of umberlee and a few more. Now that you found the 24bit renders, will you implement these better versions for BG1EE too?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Jarl said:

There are a few areas in Bg2 that are actually recycled areas from Bg1. The temple of umberlee and a few more. Now that you found the 24bit renders, will you implement these better versions for BG1EE too?

There are lots of areas recycled in BG2, The wizard in the sewer use the level 3 upper durlag's tower for example. part of the shadow thief scenario is made with the same resources used to make the pirate alcove in BG. The pirate den in the secret door of the inn in the docks use the same scenario base to make most of the caves in BG. The temple of Helm in the bridge district is the same temple of Helm in Naskhel, Some empity places in BG2 use the same scenario as the silence shop of baldur's gate if i'm not wrong, the Drow in the cemitery raising an army of spiders use the same scenario as Centeol from cloakwood 3... i'm sure there are other recyclings in the game but atm i have to sleep a bit, so see ya!

• EsgarethEsgareth Member Posts: 101
    About the upcoming patch for BG EE 1
    Still.. the middle or the end of September??
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2013
    I heard the original plan on BG was to have the capital as a one big city in a big map, but had to be split up for performance issues. Would it be possible now for you to paste all the parts up and reconstruct the city in one large map? Is that something I can dream of?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @Cleave

There was a thread around here somewhere that stated they couldn't do that. Certain events are triggered by "changing" areas and they would have to do A LOT of rewriting to get that worked out and worked out correctly. Not only about the scrippted events, but the in-game map would also have to be edited. It would take them quite a while to finish that and it wouldn't be worth the time in my opinion.
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    Wiggles said:

@Cleave

There was a thread around here somewhere that stated they couldn't do that.

Thanks! I've been reading pretty much everything but I must have missed that info.

• rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    @CamDawg thanks for the insight! That's what I was wondering. The reason I asked about relationships, specifically, is that as you all know the contracts don't say they can't change anything- it says they can't make major changes. I wouldn't see carrying over a relationship as a major change, nor would the handful of dialogue needed be considered such in my humble opinion. Just something to consider.

@Dee I've got a coupla zingers for you. First, I bought the game on Windows because at the time I didn't realize the game was out for Mac as well. I have gotten the Windows version running on OS X via Wine. Is this a problem? Would it be a problem if I told other people how to do it? I mean, obviously legally I could, but is that something you guys would look down on? I don't mean to cost you sales; some people just won't buy two copies of the same game just to play it on different OS's on the very same computer.

And secondly, how would you guys feel about people distributing the beta patched files to those of us who don't get access to it? I'm certainly capable of manually adding those files to mine- would that be something you guys allowed, or would that be vastly against the rules?
  • raonilunaraoniluna Member Posts: 16
    So I heard that early-mid september was an optimistic prevision for the patch... So what is the realistic date for the new patch?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    raoniluna said:

So I heard that early-mid september was an optimistic prevision for the patch... So what is the realistic date for the new patch?

I'm guessing the realistic estimate is "when it's done", unfortunately.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2013
    Back in May they said at one time they were hitting a wall and needed more time. The problem was Android related i think.
    My guess is, they're still struggling over the android version (or another big problem they can't solve) and so don't know when/if they will release this damn patch.
    I can't see another good reason to delay this patch so much. It's going through a beta phase, so it's not like they needed to polish it first. If they release a perfect beta, why even bother to make a beta in the first place ?
  • DudoDudo Member Posts: 361
    When will the new patch released ?
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    wheeeeeeen?
  • StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    kamuizin said:

Well it's an ask anything thread, so here i go:

What makes Hull (the guard in candlekeep that drunk too much and forget his sword in the barracks) be nice or agressive with you, alignment? Reputation? Class? Race?

It depends on your charisma, in my experience. When I played with a Palladin he was nice, when I had lower then 16 char, he was not so nice. This is not the only one in Candlekeep btw, to receive the dagge +1 you also have to have a high char. (correct me if i'm wrong or made the wrong connection, but it happend multiple times.)
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54

kamuizin said:

What makes Hull (the guard in candlekeep that drunk too much and forget his sword in the barracks) be nice or agressive with you, alignment? Reputation? Class? Race?

It depends on your charisma, in my experience. When I played with a Palladin he was nice, when I had lower then 16 char, he was not so nice. This is not the only one in Candlekeep btw, to receive the dagge +1 you also have to have a high char. (correct me if i'm wrong or made the wrong connection, but it happend multiple times.)
    The reaction is based on a combination of charisma and reputation.
    according to dulleyville:
    "According to the manual whenever you talk to an NPC the computer rolls a random number from 8 to 12. It then adds your Charisma and Reputation modifiers. A high numbered result may bring better rewards but equally could prevent NPCs from offering you unsavoury quests. Although the manual talks about random numbers, I have a theory that the number is actually 10. On this basis you can work out your NPC Reaction value as follows:

value = 10 + (Reputation Reaction Adjustment + Charisma Reaction Adjustment)

A Lawful Good starting character (Reputation 12, RRA = 0) would therefore need a Charisma of 18 (CRA = +5) to obtain Fuller's magic dagger in Candlekeep as a reward for his quest.

A Chaotic Evil starting character who had killed a nobleman on the 2nd floor of the Candlekeep Inn (Reputation 6, RRA = -3) would need a Charisma of 19 (CRA = +8) to obtain the dagger."

• PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    Dudo said:

When will the new patch released ?

Soon.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Given they rewrote the renderer, it is likely the game is really unstable because of the dozens of new bugs they introduced with the large amounts of new code. If the game is crashing every 5min there isn't point doing any beta testing. Once they manage to squeeze out the most obvious bugs you don't need beta testers for, they'll start the beta.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Well I just hope it won't take forever for the simple reason we don't have forever ;)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    I guess you're right. Anyway, six months of work and all this wait, just for what will be a visual upgrade for most of us. Still seems strange to me.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Well I suppose the engine coder(s) needed to work on something while the other devs were working on implementing BG2:EE content. I mean, the engine was mostly ready before. I'm glad they decided to shake it up a bit.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There are many changes in the next patch. Officially there are a few hundred bug fixes + improvements. I think it will be easier to understand when the patch notes are released.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Palanthis said:

I guess you're right. Anyway, six months of work and all this wait, just for what will be a visual upgrade for most of us. Still seems strange to me.

Adul said:

Well I suppose the engine coder(s) needed to work on something while the other devs were working on implementing BG2:EE content. I mean, the engine was mostly ready before. I'm glad they decided to shake it up a bit.

They didn't re-write the renderer just for kicks. Users with certain types of hardware (i.e. iPad users or people with intel GPUs) suffer from massive slowdowns, and probably a few other issues as well. This renderer is meant to solve those problems.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

kamuizin said:

Yes, charisma and to some degree also reputation. Class and race are not involved.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2013
    Being a paladin helps because it ensures that your reputation is high (Lawful Good starts with a reputation of 12) and your Charisma as well (minimum 16).

And to anyone wondering, I'm not intentionally ignoring this thread; I'm just extremely (and unexpectedly) busy today.
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Is that a "beta preparation" business?)))
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Dee said:

Being a paladin helps because it ensures that your reputation is high (Lawful Good starts with a reputation of 12) and your Charisma as well (minimum 16).

And to anyone wondering, I'm not intentionally ignoring this thread; I'm just extremely (and unexpectedly) busy today.

@Dee I realise you're busy and you may not have ready answers to every question, but is it possible that you or someone can have a look at what aspects of the Ascension mod Trend & Co. are looking at for possible inclusion in BG2:EE? I think with the release of BG2:EE being so close maybe it would be best to inform potential customers. I don't think something that's potentially that much of a change from the original game should be left as a surprise for people buying the game.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    Dee said:

Charisma minimum is 17 for a paladin. I hope you won't 'change' this for the upcoming patch ;)

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    -1 charisma = +1 constitution, you sure?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    17 Charisma, sorry. Don't know where I got the 16 from.
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    rathlord said:

@Dee I've got a coupla zingers for you. First, I bought the game on Windows because at the time I didn't realize the game was out for Mac as well. I have gotten the Windows version running on OS X via Wine. Is this a problem? Would it be a problem if I told other people how to do it? I mean, obviously legally I could, but is that something you guys would look down on? I don't mean to cost you sales; some people just won't buy two copies of the same game just to play it on different OS's on the very same computer.

And secondly, how would you guys feel about people distributing the beta patched files to those of us who don't get access to it? I'm certainly capable of manually adding those files to mine- would that be something you guys allowed, or would that be vastly against the rules?

Feel slightly awkward quoting myself again, but since this is something that (especially the first part) could be somewhat important it'd be nice to know.
This discussion has been closed.