Skip to content

Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Mage who would win???

It's an interesting thought if you could put a Fighter/cleric and Fighter/mage in a arena and see who comes out. Who do you think would win????

Comments

• CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Fighter/Cleric. Silence spell makes it a fighter fight, and they have more armor. Plus hold person. Mages don't work well in arena type situations. With time to prep and getting the first strike it could go the other way.
    SchneidendLateraluslelag200
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Fighter/mage, easy. The fighter/cleric has better offensive buffs (except Improved Haste), healing, and can wear armor. The fighter/mage has, depending on level, Sleep, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Fire Shield, Protection from Magic Weapons, and quite importantly, Magic Missile. The fighter/cleric will never get a spell off, because he has no good way of avoiding being Magic Missiled. As such, his healing is irrelevant. The sheer weight of defensive buffs gives the fighter/mage the defensive advantage in spite of the AC difference, and Improved Haste alone is sufficient to counter all the fighter/cleric's offensive buffs.
    Wilbur
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    edited October 2013
    What experience point are we talking? Dual or Multi-class?

Duals would be 13/28 v 13/38, btw...

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    lamaros said:

That was my first thought too. The balance of power would change so much depending on level.
    the_spyderDragonspear
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    and also what items? first they could both have amulet of power, which would make them immune to silence, but a mage can wear robe of vecna, can cast timestop and wish to unload piles and piles of spell books worth of spells, but chain contengency can be cast while the game is paused and set, even if they were both naked about 30 feet away, just the fact of chain contengency can go off right away, but if we are talking about multiclass fighter/mage, he will only have 2 level 9 spells at the cap ( if he isnt a gnome) and if its a fighter13/mage28, then he will have at least 4 level 9 spells and they will greatly help out the mage, so i really guess it depends on items ( they could also both have the cloak of mirroring and make offensive damaging spells a no no, despite the mage has way more of those) and on levels and how they are classed, also i find it easier to solo the game with a fighter/mage compared to a fighter/cleric, so that might also have some influence on who is the more powerful combo
    Dreadnaught
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    A fighter/mage would win most of the time. A mage could easily disrupt silence with a faster spell like magic missile.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what if a fighter/mage had arrows of biting/dispelling/detonation? used axe of the unyielding or the ravanger and got lucky with a vorpal hit?
    Dreadnaughtzwadek
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    Time Stop. Game over.
    Dreadnaught
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    Cleric uses the command whip spell, if it works, the mage is done for.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2013
    As you don't know which spells the other person is casting, there's a huge element of chance in such a match. Silence is easily countered by Vocalise, though. Timestop sure gives the F/M an advantage. Any Contigencies would have a large impact as well.

All in all, I'd say the Fighter/Mage would come out on top.
    Dreadnaught
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It all really depends if they get time to prebuff or have contingencies/sequencers prepared. The F/C will have a big advantage if the mage is standing there trying to get protections up for the first few rounds, either that or has to waste a timestop to do it.

Again, gear will make a big difference. Having a Belt of Inertial Barrier would make a big difference to the F/C against offensive spell damage, and an amulet of power would protect the F/M against possibly the most dangerous effect to get thrown at them.
    Dreadnaught
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2013
    I think level would matter here too. In general I would say a F/C would win at low levels, because the extra armour matters much more here, while the F/M needs to cast spells to get a decent armour level. At higher levels, so more and better spells available, I think the mage would win.

These are very likely to be average results of course, because fights like this can hinge entirely on one save being made or failed, so even if a F/M would normally beat a F/C they wouldn't always.
    DreadnaughtDragonspear
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It could go either way of course but I'd probably say fighter/mage. Its true the cleric has silence but if the mage is able to get a blindness or glitterdust spell (or at higher levels a power word: blind) to successfully work that would basically make the match a lot easier for the mage.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It's not even close if you're talking BG2 levels, since the F/C doesn't really have any way around the F/M's defensive buffs (PfMW, Spell Immunity, Improved Invisibility, etc.) the F/M can kill the F/C any way they choose. It's closer in BG1 and could be more down to luck with Dispel Magic, but the buffs a mage does have such as Mirror Image and Stoneskin are still gonna give them the edge.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The arcane caster will always win in BG2.
    chickenhedSpaceInvader
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    F/M/T would turn both into flying chunks.

F/M/T would turn both into flying chunks.

It doesn't matter if it's a F/M or a F/M/T or just a Mage. The mage will take the victory and it doesn't matter if he has levels as a fighter, thief or anything else.

Pure mage -> Everything
    meaglothBelgarathMTHSpaceInvader
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited October 2013
    dud f/m easy coz of half mage

he would just cast something like pfmw and chaincontingency horrid wiltig ezpz roflstomp gg wp

while cleric could cast maybe 1 spell

bg2
    m>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>c

bg1
    m>>>>>>c
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Fighter/Mage easily. Time Stop - Misdirection - Any combination of kill spells they want because the Cleric won't have any way to stop the mage from casting. The Fighter/Cleric is standing around casting True Seeing and going "What hit me?"

Seriously though it depends on the level and what spells are available and who is prepared and what items they have on (if the mage has something that give him vocalization and it is game set and match). And finally, who gets the first spell off.
    Dreadnaught
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    The Command spell is the best quick casting spell in the game. Mage gets knocked out then the cleric gets a full round to cast hold or silence. Like all things it depends on the roll of the dice.
    Dreadnaught
    We're talking about high level here, or atleast that is the vibe i got. Otherwise you'll end up with two low level fighters ignoring their caster half and hope for a good dice throw as they shoot their compositive longbow at eachother.

Dreadnaught
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2013
    lamaros said:

Ya good point ok how about this Dualed Lvl 9 Fighter for both but a level 20 cleric or mage
    so
    Fighter lvl 9/Mage 20 dual wielding longswords or two-handed (Equalizer, daystar, or hallowed redeemer)
    Fighter lvl 9/cleric 23 dual wielding hammers (crom-fraer, Rune hammer Lvl 5)
    Both classes buffed with spells to the extreme no special items.
    Post edited by Dreadnaught on

lamaros said:

Ya good point ok how about this Dualed Lvl 9 Fighter for both but a level 20 cleric or mage
    so
    Fighter lvl 9/Mage 20 dual wielding longswords or two-handed (Equalizer, daystar, or vorpal sword)
    Fighter lvl 9/cleric 20 dual wielding hammers (crom-fraer, Rune hammer Lvl 5)
    Any contingencies/triggers allowed or pre-buffing?
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Why would you put the mage on the same level as the cleric? The cleric level advantage is just making it harder for them. They should have a number of levels on a mage at the same experience.
    elminsterDreadnaught
    lamaros said:

Why would you put the mage on the same level as the cleric? The cleric level advantage is just making it harder for them. They should have a number of levels on a mage at the same experience.

Yea a better comparison would be fighter 9/ mage 20 vs fighter 9/cleric 23.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    kab said:

Time Stop. Game over.

Chain Contingency, then Spell triggers, game over..no need for time stop
    lamaros said:

I agree forgive me I just made the change.
    elminster said:

lamaros said:

so
    Fighter lvl 9/Mage 20 dual wielding longswords or two-handed (Equalizer, daystar, or vorpal sword)
    yes all spell buffs. I removed the vorpal sword.
    elminster
    edited October 2013

elminster said:

lamaros said:

so
    yes all spell buffs. I removed the vorpal sword.
    I'd still go with the fighter/mage. It would be easy to protect yourself thanks to a continguency spell and to cast spells at the enemy quickly thanks to a trigger.
    Dreadnaught
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Don't priests have Sanctuary? I can't remember exactly the mechanics but doesn't it make them unattackable? So they could cast whatever buffs they needed while it's up.