Skip to content

Phase II: Hardware Compatibility Test

Comments

• CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Jaesa said:

I see. That is... not nice at all. I wish it weren't like that, because getting off that map was a pain with one party member missing on top of having no protection.

But it has its advantages too. In that you can dump one of the New Guys at any time so you can take pick up someone else and not have to go back later to pick them up again. For example Rescuing Dynaheir or Xan. No need to leave a spot open on your team with one of the newbies along.

Its amazing Neera wants anything to do with me after all the times I made her trudge all the way back to the Friendly arms on her own. :D

• JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    @CutlassJack I know how that can be convenient; I've taken advantage of it with both Rasaad and Neera when I wanted to pick up Dynaheir, Xan, and Yeslick. I just wish there was something like what @Flashburn said, so I don't have to potentially hike half way across the map to get back a party member I didn't want leaving in the first place.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    While we're on the subject of companions, @Dib mentioned that the pathfinding seems to be worse than normal. At first I didn't believe it since BG1's interiors are a lot less open anyway. But even outdoors some of my companions take the long way around an obstacle, only to find they can't even go that way in the first place.

Are you guys experiencing this too?
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    @Flashburn I've only seen the usual stuff that happens when you try to navigate places like Firewine Dungeon or Nashkel and Cloakwood Mines. When outdoors, sometimes my individual party members take different paths to get through or around the same treeline/cliff/building/etc., but I don't recall seeing any of them take a path that was unnecessarily long, difficult, or impossible.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2013
    @Gate70

That's exactly what the water looks like on my PC (Intel HD Graphics) too.
    Post edited by Wilbur on
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Gate70 said:

As the game was previously unplayable for me I'm struggling to know if this is how water should appear at other than default zoom.

Looks better at the default zoom.

I see this too but I don't think it is a bug. What is happening is when the zoom level needs to rescale the image, and the resulting image is not an exact multiple of the original image (i.e. not exactly 2x or 3x bigger) you get these dark spots from the scaling. As a test you can take a screen shot of the map, open it in an image viewer, and then zoom in and out, and you will see exactly the same effect.

In short it has nothing to do with how BG:EE draws water to the screen, it is just an optical illusion (can't think of a better thing to call it at the moment) caused by scaling the original image. I get the feeling that this is one of those things that could only be fixed if the source at was still around.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    cmk24 said:

Gate70 said:

As the game was previously unplayable for me I'm struggling to know if this is how water should appear at other than default zoom.

Looks better at the default zoom.

I see this too but I don't think it is a bug. What is happening is when the zoom level needs to rescale the image, and the resulting image is not an exact multiple of the original image (i.e. not exactly 2x or 3x bigger) you get these dark spots from the scaling. As a test you can take a screen shot of the map, open it in an image viewer, and then zoom in and out, and you will see exactly the same effect.

In short it has nothing to do with how BG:EE draws water to the screen, it is just an optical illusion (can't think of a better thing to call it at the moment) caused by scaling the original image. I get the feeling that this is one of those things that could only be fixed if the source at was still around.
    It can be fixed with a better scaling algorithm
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    It's also worth to mention that the beta version works flawlessly with the Steam UI if you link baldur.exe
  • MarekkMarekk Member Posts: 13
    That water looks like a bug to me. I've never seen that in the pre-beta version
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    This may depend on hardware or driver. Here is what I get in maximum zoom in what seems to be the same area. There is no significant change in the water wheter or not I zoom. This was taken with the beta on a netbook with AMD E350 and integrated Radeon HD6310.
  • batmanis64batmanis64 Member Posts: 11
    A few minor comments on my machine:

1. When I expand the text box in small indoor areas at far zoom, the screen position "jumps" up. It's not a problem, but it just looks sloppy.

2. When scrolling outside areas at max zoom out, there is noticeable tearing.

3. Not sure if the main menus are supposed to not fill the screen, but they don't while I'm running 1600x900.

Other than that, works beautifully.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400

3. Not sure if the main menus are supposed to not fill the screen, but they don't while I'm running 1600x900.

This is the same in v1.0.2014, except there are "fillers" below and on the right and left sides of the main menu. Doesn't look very good, so I'm hoping the new patch will include a main menu that ignores the in-game resolution settings.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I commanded one of my characters to open the container I marked in the screenshot below from the Cloakwood mines. As he walked up to it he never stopped but kept on walking on top of the container and right through the wall and didn't stop until the bandit in the next room walked up to him and initiated a conversation with him.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @dib that has to be one of the most elusive bugs reported to date. There are a number of reports of this type of thing - wandering through walls, across water, over mountains...but to date, no one has been able to make it happen twice. If ANYone can come up with a reproducible case for this, we would be most grateful.
    @Cerevant Yeah, it didn't work a second time I'm afraid.
    Cerevant said:

@dib that has to be one of the most elusive bugs reported to date. There are a number of reports of this type of thing - wandering through walls, across water, over mountains...but to date, no one has been able to make it happen twice. If ANYone can come up with a reproducible case for this, we would be most grateful.

I've seen it several times (with and without new patch). It seems to only occur when I am controlling my entire party, and it's always just one character that gets lost. Telling the character to stop or go somewhere works just fine unless he's already inside a wall or outside of the map.

Happened to me three or four times in a row in the labyrinth in Firewine Ruins, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the complexity of the pathfinding the character has to do. Therefore places like the Firewine Ruins would probably be ideal for trying to reproduce the bug. :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Heh, I've kinda had to delve into pathfinding stuff in the past, and my own code produced behavior like that all the time. :D To be honest, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more in BG.

I've had it happen to me a couple times in the past though, and mostly when I was playing multiplayer (as a client, not the host).
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    1. I noticed that when doing the tutorial and trying out the journal, the finished quest doesn't entirely disappear from the original Quest folder. The description disappears, but the original heading doesn't.

2. Beginning in Chapter 1, the journal entry saying "With Gorion slain..." appears in both the Prologue and Chapt. 1 journal sections. Shouldn't it appear in only one or the other? (preferably Chapt. 1).

3. When I tried to write in a journal entry for the first time (while doing the tutorial IIRC), I got this screen:
    When I clicked the "OK" button there, the game went back to normal, and I didn't have trouble adding journal entries after that.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Fornost said:

Sometimes the mouse animation stops (when you click on something) and mouse scrolling isn't working (I have to use the keyboard in order to move the map).

When I use the cursor to move the map, I notice that the screen occasionally "lags" or "bumps" (not sure how to describe it) as the map is moving. I just retested the non-beta version, and I noticed that this problem is basically the same (perhaps even a bit worse?) on the non-beta version, though it seems I just got used to it and stopped noticing it. I also don't know whether this is really a problem with the game itself or my 6-year old Dell Vostro laptop.

I've also noticed that when I move the cursor to the edge of the screen to move the map, the map will sometimes stop moving, even with the cursor still spinning. I can resolve this problem simply by re-moving the cursor in that direction, but I don't recall having this issue on the non-beta version.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Isaya said:

This may depend on hardware or driver. Here is what I get in maximum zoom in what seems to be the same area. There is no significant change in the water wheter or not I zoom. This was taken with the beta on a netbook with AMD E350 and integrated Radeon HD6310.

Odd, I have been seeing the strange dark spots on the water (but only at certain zoom levels) since I got the game a year ago. I am running the game on an AMD Radeon HD 6870 with the newest drivers. Turning on AA and texture filtering through AMD CCC helps reduce it some, but it is still there... Now I am beginning to wonder if I can make this effect go away some how...
  • DrakeloreDrakelore Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2013
    Hi
    Is the Neera-clone still a thing ? I remember reporting that Neera appears twice in Friendly Arms Inn a while back. I can't remember if it was prior to 2014 or not.
    Yesterday I started a new game and Neera still appears twice.
    I can upload a savegame if it will help.

BG:EE from Mac Appstore
    MBP Retina, 15", Early 2013 with Apple CinemaDisplay
    2.4GHz i7
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 650M 1024MB
    OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
    Post edited by Drakelore on
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    I know it has been posted somewhere else (don't really remember where exactly however) but I just noticed the 3 instead of 1 Flaming Fist soldier in Tradeway North (Below Beregost). Nice tweak!

You know, I've played BG1 so many time since 1998 that I seem to remember almost everything from it... But this make it worthwhile! "Three Flaming Fist? Where did the two others came from?" :)

I also noticed, down in Nashkel Mines, that instead of simply vanishing, the soldier "moves" out of the way... I know, it's a so small tweak right? But it makes playing it again almost a quest to spot little things like that!

On another note: I also experienced (for the first time again) an already mentioned bug where, when random battle occurs (in the wild/while moving from one map to another) the screen pauses before you can see anything... Therefore, the map being black (never saw that but within the beta).

Also just noticed the the iron poison (mysterious liquid) has now its own unique bottle color, nice!
    Post edited by Vortaka on
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Neera clone is fixed. I'll look into the journal issues.
    edited October 2013
    I charmed Tiax and initated dialogue with him and for some reason the End Dialogue button was missing, forcing me to restart the game. This happens every time I charm and talk to him.
    dib said:

I charmed Tiax and initated dialogue with him and for some reason the End Dialogue button was missing, forcing me to restart the game. This happens every time I charm and talk to him.

Looks like the left menu is missing as well. Even though you might have hidden it the pause button (timer) should've showed.
    @Basilicum Yeah, I already reported the disappearing timekeeping device (sundial?) a few posts back. It's unrelated to this bug though.
  • WalKaNWalKaN Member Posts: 9
    I dont know if the bug is reported but when I stop fighting with Shoal the nereid and she starts summon the ogre mage when the cast ends the game close.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    @dee I just went to start the beta and an update is available, will this break my current save game? what are the changes?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The update shouldn't break your saved game; the major changes are listed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21750/phase-ii-part-2
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I lost all my savegames (on a modded BGEE) the last time I updated. Luckily I backed up the essentials, so just to be safe I'd back them up if I were you.
This discussion has been closed.