Skip to content

What are the Female to Male demographics of this board?

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

Women are greatly out numbered here. I blame it on romances like Anomen, what sane woman would want to romance him?

I really really hated Anomen's romance and could barely stand him as a character. I'm crossing my fingers that additional romances are added in BG2EE for females or at least making all the romances capable of being romanced by male or female characters.

Permidion_StarkCommunard
  • CalawenCalawen Member Posts: 707
    Well, there's 90% male and 9% female... what is the last 1% ? Oo
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    Damn, i am surprised there are any female gamers here: i noticed the female gamers usually play Sims,fallout3 or some other rpg but not one as sophisticated as Baldur's gate where you actually need to read a lot.
    And thats not stereotype but real life facts: same as you dont see a lot of women working out with weights or doing bodybuilding\powerlifting\weight lifting\calisthenics\armwrestling because:
    they think they are going to bulk up into 250lbs beings. Or because they are lazy.
    Women basically prefer "charisma" stat over everything else: they look good,try to impress,love reading,painting and nothing like hard labor.
    Lets say i dont know any girl who's Strength (based in DND world) would be greater then... 12? :D.
    Rush_that_speaks
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Why do threads like this always bring the misogynistic nutjobs out of the woodwork?

"Heavy objects carried by women? Preposterous."
    "Reading? Absurd. Women are shallow idiots."
    CommunardRapscallionJalily
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Well I think that female should have like -5 penalty to strength and condition.
    How dare can we discriminate races (by giving them bonuses and penalties) and not gender...?
    I think that you are just being racist. It’s easy to give -1 Wis for Gnomes because you all know no one will stand up for them :(
    Leezl
    ...It was foolish of you to come here, trolls. This is a D&D-related forum. We all know your weaknesses.
    CommunardRenshtalisScooterJalily
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    You can always mix martial arts in the art of war.

I'ts like Coca Cola, goes with everything o/
    Maciak87 said:

Please remember that Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura employed such an attitude.
    Men received a +1 Strength bonus, while women +1 Constitution (since women are more resistant to physical pain). I didn't notice any feminazis foaming at their mouths over that. Or the fact that, in Fallout 2, you could just sleep around as a woman in return for various favours.

Any differences based on the gender of the main character should be purely narrative, as is the case with the Fallout games.

Mechanical gender differences like stats are asinine, especially given that being able to start at 20 Constitution for a female dwarf or 20 strength for a male half-orc would be crazy powerful.
    CommunardJalily
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Mornmagor: Thanks for contributing with such an interesting post. Better than what certain provocative trolls have said thus far. I have to agree on the various points you make, Mornmagor. I just detest the idea of your gender having an influence on your stats in games. It seems unfair and not only sexist, but also restrictive.
    CommunardMornmagorScooterJalily
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud i agree, fantasy should be left as fantasy, no stat altering for being male or female.
    edited August 2012
    Maciak87 said:

And I just detest the idea of pretending that both genders are equal. Please spare me the politically correct crap. Only part of the West still believes in this nonsense.

That's your problem though.

@AndreaColombo, haha, no, not yet, and we won't let it.
    Communard
    Maciak87 said:

And I just detest the idea of pretending that both genders are equal. Please spare me the politically correct crap. Only part of the West still believes in this nonsense.

It's not so much that genders are equal as both are equally capable of being awesome at any of the classes. Like it or not, there are women that could easily kick the crap out of you. There's no reason to arbitrarily make male Fighters better than female Fighters, just like female Mages aren't better than male Mages.

Communard
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Maciak87 said:

I can agree with most of those points, Sir, but we were talking about female warriors, not martial artists. Besides, in my previous post I aknowledged that, in general, women are more resistant to pain.

Martial arts are the arts of the warrior, you know. Anyone fighting for a living would be practising martial arts.
    Maciak87 said:

And you're also committing a logical fallacy by saying that since the average woman is weaker than the average man, all women are weaker than all men. Individuals are not bound by the averages, they make up the averages. The "politically correct crap" you're talking about is simply the modern notion that every individual person should be seen from and judged by their individual capacities and not by generalised prejudice. What a ridonkilous thought, right?

Which is also why I THINK +1 THIS and -1 THAT rules are ridiculous. I'm playing an individual. Just because other such individuals are more likely to be weaker or less pain-resistant or whatever doesn't mean that this individual should be.
    CommunardRunariel
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Just a reminder:

The Forgotten Realms does not need to follow reality. That's why all this talk about women being physically weaker is pretty pointless.
    CommunardRunariel
    LadyRhian said:

I have been watching this topic and getting sick to my stomach at the misogyny. Honestly, who would you back in a fight? 1st level male fighter with an 18/00 strength, or a 12th level female fighter with a 14 (say) strength? The fight doesn't always go to the person who is stronger. 1e AD&D had stat limits based on race and sex. Human females had a maximum of an 18/50 strength. Half Orc women had a maximum of 18/75 strength. Male elves had a maximum of 18/90 strength. It also had minimums, too. If you had a 5 Wisdom or less? You could only be a thief. You could have an 18 strength and a 16 constitution (and this was in the days where stats were rolled as 3d6, not 4d6 drop the lowest die, so a 5 Wisdom was very possible), but nope, you had to be a thief.

In 2e, they got rid of all of that- to the better, I think. Although the stat roll system changed several times (there was one system where you rolled between 4 and 9 dice for each stat, and only kept the three highest dice- but that was insane.) The changes were because the first edition was based more on reality, while the second was based more on Fantasy. And we are playing a fantasy RPG, aren't we? You have a fantasy of romancing a Drow Elf. Maybe someone else fantasizes about doing heroic deeds in a fantasy world. Women can be just as heroic as men, and I don't mind if that means throwing out some of the reality of how strong a woman can be versus a man.

I have to say I always love reading your well thought out posts and this one might have been my favorite post from you yet. So thank you =)
    CommunardscriverTalvrae
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    So many male insecurities popping up here...
    scrivertrinit
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dragonspear Thank you. I really appreciate that. I bit my tongue so many times when reading this thread, I think I might have bled to death from tongue-related wounds. There was a comment somewhere about how a male fighter might be able to cleave a foe from head to crotch because of his strength. A Female fighter saves herself the effort by paring her foe's head from his neck. It takes less strength, but both foes are equally dead. (One of the AD&D articles I read somewhere. It doesn't take great or exceptional strength to be a fighter, it can also be about using the strength you have in an intelligent way.

As an aside, my first Basic D&D character was a female fighter. Zenobia had bright red hair and a 14 strength. She kicked more than her fair share of ass. She certainly was the one who killed the Ogre in the Keep on the Borderlands module. And she got in the first and last blows against the Minotaur there as well.
    Communard
    Agreed @LadyRhian about the having to bite your tongue. I love playing characters that use two-handed weapons but I always wish there was some option to finesse them in combat. Brute strength only gets you so far, but finesse, tactics and momentum can be equally important in keeping yourself alive in combat. I think my first character was an elven ranger but my second was a greatsword wielding paladin.
    CommunardLadyRhian
    @Dragonspear I like the sound of your characters! In Basic D&D, there were only four classes for humans: Fighter, Mage, Cleric and Thief. Then there were the racial classes of Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling. Dwarf=Fighter. Elf= Fighter/Magic User and Halfling=Thief.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    the only surprising part of this poll is the lack of trolling haha :)
    edited August 2012
    @LadyRhian To be fair, the greatsword only made sense cause of carsomyr. But I have a preference for 2hers rather than sitting behind a shield on a paladin. The whole "best defense, good offense" approach to fighting evil. And here's a toast to one day a game letting you weapon finesse a greatsword!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Been watching the olympics here. There are some pretty physcially strong women out there. Okay, the top male weightlifter could lift more than the top female weightlifter, but a top female boxer could still kick the arse of 99% of blokes.
    CommunardscriverSchneidend
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i'm not even bothered about laughable attempts to apply generaly perceived "facts"/stereotypes to every existing individual.
    i'm more bothered by people not realizing that feminism is A DUTY at last of every sane being. radical elements are at your discretion.
    Runariel
    edited August 2012
    LadyRhian said:

I have been watching this topic and getting sick to my stomach at the misogyny. Honestly, who would you back in a fight? 1st level male fighter with an 18/00 strength, or a 12th level female fighter with a 14 (say) strength? The fight doesn't always go to the person who is stronger. 1e AD&D had stat limits based on race and sex. Human females had a maximum of an 18/50 strength. Half Orc women had a maximum of 18/75 strength. Male elves had a maximum of 18/90 strength. It also had minimums, too. If you had a 5 Wisdom or less? You could only be a thief. You could have an 18 strength and a 16 constitution (and this was in the days where stats were rolled as 3d6, not 4d6 drop the lowest die, so a 5 Wisdom was very possible), but nope, you had to be a thief.

In 2e, they got rid of all of that- to the better, I think. Although the stat roll system changed several times (there was one system where you rolled between 4 and 9 dice for each stat, and only kept the three highest dice- but that was insane.) The changes were because the first edition was based more on reality, while the second was based more on Fantasy. And we are playing a fantasy RPG, aren't we? You have a fantasy of romancing a Drow Elf. Maybe someone else fantasizes about doing heroic deeds in a fantasy world. Women can be just as heroic as men, and I don't mind if that means throwing out some of the reality of how strong a woman can be versus a man.

@LadyRhian

Exactly! Fighting experience, willpower, demeanor and wits are much more important than strength when it comes to fighting and winning.

And indeed, very wise of you to point out that it doesn't take strength to harm a person. The ways are countless, the possibilities endless, in the end strength is good for carrying stuff easier, not winning fights.

There is no point in giving extra stats or take away others if you're male or female.

And in the end, even the differences because of muscle mass in real life are not as big as people think they are, same for constitution for women.

A woman your size, weight and body type will be probably near your strength, it's a matter of how aggressive or violent someone is, or how gentle, do they want to harm or just defend? If they want to harm, there are so many ways...

Anyway, people tend to forget that warriors or heroes in general win against Ogres, Dragons, Giants, monsters that are FAR stronger and bigger than a human. Do they win because of their physical strength? Or wits, tactics, and their comrades being there for them?

If strength was all it took to be a hero or a ruler, then Giants would be ruling and Hulk Hogan would be world leader.
    CommunardJalily
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Maciak87 congratulate to anyone or anything that pleases you, because it doesn't matter.

yes, feminism is a duty of anyone against discrimination or denying of equal opportunity, and/or that knows a female human being or ackowledges that no human being is purely masculine or feminine for that matter. we cannot talk about any kind of equality, peace, or other idealistic discourses without acknowledging and combating this extremely basic and senseless divide in our culture.

and yes, goal of the feminism is equality in a true sense not supremacy or copy of drow culture.
    CommunardpurebredcornRunarielJalily
    @Solyaris I agree, but I also think that rape in the military against women is a much bigger problem than most people realize. I saw a statistic somewhere that 40% of military women will be raped. And the treatment of women who are raped? A lot of them get slapped with a diagnosis of "Personality Disorder" and are drummed out of the military: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14/health/military-sexual-assaults-personality-disorder/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rape-military-invisible-war-documentary-exposes-assaults/story?id=16632490#.UCUPqxxsi4A

To me, this is more of a turn-off than any kind of supposed "unfitness" of women for war or combat.
    Jalily