Skip to content

What are the Female to Male demographics of this board?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Aliteri said:

That's a unfair comparison. You're comparing BG companions to the DA protagonist.

That's fair, though if we look at the first "Dragon Age" as a whole (DLC included), there's Shale, Mhairi, Sigrun and Ariane, while the second game has Aveline, Isabela and Tallis.

But it's more about general representation: there are female knights (like Loghain's lieutenant), women in every army whether it's dwarven, elven or human, etc. You just don't get that kind of equal approach in D&D worlds. Which is understandable given the differences in age, but... well, there is a lack of balance.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Maciak87 said:

Being treated equally does not change the fact that a woman walking around in plate mail is pure nonsense

That depends on the game's stats. Gameplay and Story Integration and all. Women in Baldur's Gate do not have a Strenght limit lower than males. Wether they should or not seems to be the issue, but then again, both Males and Females can have a Strenght coeficient that implies a level of physical prowess that is indeed pure nonsense.

Anyway, @shawne did you see my last comment on page 1?
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    @shawne Lets add some ponies too shall we? and rainbows!
    NWN_babaYaga
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Why do these conversations always have to go too far. All I was asking is how many people are male vs. female on the board and if we could get more in-depth stories with the female characters. There is no need to start flinging mud.
    reedmilfamLeezlJalily
    wariisop said:

Why do these conversations always have to go too far. All I was asking is how many people are male vs. female on the board and if we could get more in-depth stories with the female characters. There is no need to start flinging mud.

Don't be silly, there's no flaming here.

Drugar said:

Aliteri said:

wariisop said:

Don't be silly, there's no flaming here.
    Just a whole list of posts that claim women are weak fragile creatures that have no place being on a battlefield. The tone of where this thread went could do with some serious improvement.
    I'd take that guy's post and convert it from 'women are physically weaker than men and, therefore, they are the lesser melee combatant' (a not entirely unreasonable position) into a actual flaming comment that you can see in less fortunate threads. But then I'd be banned.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it, the flames are waiting to start by people taking the bait.

Because it is a bait and nothing more, by someone who has learned to do it well.

But since we can learn as well, we won't take the bait this time.
    Communard
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Aliteri is absolutely correct: we're having a nice, civil discussion about gender roles in fantasy. May not have been where the conversation started, but let's go with it and see what happens! :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Male characteristics: external genitals at kicking height; The historical right to march slowly into machine gun fire.
    CommunardSyntia13
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2012

Male characteristics: external genitals at kicking height;

I just watched Jade Jones win an Olympic gold medal in taekwondo. I certainly don't think I'd want to take her on in a butt-kicking contest.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    edited August 2012
    All this because Shar Teel was called a stereotyped character. It may be, but only because strong woman tend to be scorned by man, therefore hate them, quite usual.
    There are strong woman take a look at this one: http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnailfull/yuliya-kalina-2009-11-23-8-13-55.jpg
    Just, a guy who trained as much will do better. Strenght requires muscle and body mass, as long as a creature has it, the sex does not matter.

The historical right to march slowly into machine gun fire.

Women have to endure losing blood monthly, someone had to balance that out.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Razor

Yes, we are aware that in the real world the common woman isn't as physically strong as the common man.
    Communard
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    I've never understood applying the argument that generally a woman will not be as strong as a man to D&D. In the real world women who train hard can attain great strength and PCs in D&D are demigods in terms of stats. We're talking heros not NPCs here. There isn't sexism in Faerun full stop, at least in terms of professions, so that should be the end of the discussion.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Sausage-fest baby! Sausage-fest!
    @Renshtalis: If we ever make a BGForum's disco we'll need a hell lot of ladies nights!
    Renshtalis
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Everyone in this thread is Hitler.

Seriously though, It's not exactly a stretch to say the majority of gamers are male.
    The rpg and fantasy genres tend to attract a greater percentage of female gamers that other genres though- just from my experience.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Women are greatly out numbered here. I blame it on romances like Anomen, what sane woman would want to romance him?
    Syntia13Leezl
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    "I'm bailing, this place is a total sausage fest."
    Moomintroll
  • SixSix Member Posts: 33
    Love statistics so cast my vote.

As for women in army the main reason don't seem to be due to their lesser muscle mass but for the effect they have on the men around them. Dying or hurt women tend to mess up morale and make men ignore orders and their own safety.
    Rapscallion

I agree with @Drugar. 'll I've seen from that Maciak87 guy thus far is that he tends to be rather provocative in his attitude and narrow-minded in his opinions. So being a woman automatically degrades me to a fate of just bearing kids and deal with chores?

Did he say that?
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    @razor ever hear the song too many dix on the dance floor... Totally BGForum disco dude!

Tell the fellahs, make it understood, it aint no good if theres too much wood! Just Make sure, before you go, you know the bro/hoe dance floor ratio! There's Adam, Steve and Marty. Billy, tad and dony, on leave from the Army, the only boobs we'll see tonight'll be made of oragami!

Too many Dix on the dance floor!!!
    RazorArtemielle
  • jmanreisjmanreis Member Posts: 39
    I never liked the fact that they gave Jaheira a 14 strength. It made me waste extra points on strength because I felt I at least needed to be significantly stronger than a half-elf female. I think they were way too generous with strenght for a number of the female characters.
    Rush_that_speaks
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2012
    Oh for Sune's sake, it's already degraded into sexism and rehashed "women as soldiers" arguments. C'mon guys, let's at least try to keep that 8%.
    MoomintrollCommunard
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Interesting that there the male percentage is 90% here. I guess PocketPlaneGroup had a unusually high percentage of female forum members - I thought it was just a weird Baldur's Gate phenomenom. However that could be because the site is heavily based on NPC mods of which a large portion had female designers/modders/contributors.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    jmanreis said:

I never liked the fact that they gave Jaheira a 14 strength. It made me waste extra points on strength because I felt I at least needed to be significantly stronger than a half-elf female. I think they were way too generous with strenght for a number of the female characters.

...I really hope you're joking. Please be joking. I don't know if my faith in humanity can take it.
    MoomintrollCommunardRapscallionJalily
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    jmanreis said:

You could always put the belt of masculinity/femininity on Jaheira and turn her into a man. That way you wouldn't have to feel threatened by her awesome STR 14.

Communardtrinit