Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Very nice. I like the story format.
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    @Lateralus actually, that was pretty epic :)
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    You guys want some more? I can dust off that character although I am enjoying my first attempt with a dragon disciple right now. :)
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Yes! This is my favorite thread.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2013
    correct me if i am wrong, but isn't a roll of exactly 75 nearly as unlikely as all 18s?
    Now if it was "anything under 75" that would be different
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    taltamir said:

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't a roll of exactly 75 nearly as unlikely as all 18s?
    Now if it was "anything under 75" that would be different

Nope.

Rolling 3d6*6 is a distribution of 18-108.
    Rolling 3d6 is a distribution of 3-18.

Now see how likely is is to roll 12 (or 13) rolling three dice compared to rolling 18.

Same difference.

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited October 2013
    A roll of 75 is quite common actually. Granted it's more difficult with some race/class combos, but they come up all the time. This is a really fun challenge if you're looking to mix it up and quite difficult if you follow the rules.
    Post edited by JLee on
    75 is the minimum roll, anything lower than that and it's autodiscarded by the system. Thus the basis of this thread - use the minimum roll...
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited October 2013

Thrilled with their victory over the Iron Throne, Savilous and the gang made their way back through the Cloakwood forest. They were waylaid by a bunch of senseless bandits at one point, but otherwise their journey was uneventful.

They spent the night at the Friendly Arm, then continued north towards Baldur's Gate.

imageimage

On the way they met an old farmer named Brun whose lands were overrun with ankhegs. They brought back to him the body of his lost son who had sadly fallen prey to the large insects. The adventurers left Brun with some of the ankhegs' hoard to help him get by—at least for a few seasons.

imageimage

Further down the road, they handled a dispute between some Talossian fishermen and a priestess of Umberlee. Although the two parties were pretty much at each others' throats, they managed to resolve the situation without bloodshed. Well, mostly. A few threats and punches did the trick.

imageimage

Finally, the adventurers crossed the bridge leading into the capital. After paying the bridge tax, they were approached by a man named Scar, commander of the Flaming Fist. He had heard about Savilous and his group's involvement in abolishing the iron crisis, and hired them to investigate the merchant organization known as the Seven Suns which had been acting strange lately. They accepted the task.

It was getting late, so the party set their course towards the city gate.

Level-Ups:

Savilous: 1 level gained, rolled 5+1 for HP. Mediocrous.
    Jaheira: 1 druid level gained, rolled 3+1 for HP. This roll may look terrible, but for a multiclass druid it's actually pretty decent.
    Minsc: 1 level gained, rolled 3+1 for HP. No excuses this time, this roll truly is terrible.
    Imoen: 1 level gained, rolled 4+2 for HP. You passed, sis. Not that is matters.

Current Party:

Savilous: lvl 6
    Imoen: lvl 7
    Khalid: lvl 6
    Jaheira: lvl F5/D6
    Minsc: lvl 6
    Dynaheir: lvl 5
    Heh.. it didn't help that my sword broke during combat. I should have beat a hasty retreat after the first hit, but who would have thought. I rolled up another one for the challenge last night. Randomly selecting Race/Gender/Class/Alignment. I ended up with a Male Elven Priest of Talos, this should be interesting. I'll post details hopefully this weekend.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    @Easymask I love that portrait!

Keep 'em coming, I love this thread!
  • blueblue Member Posts: 39
    annnnnd was promptly squashed by the ogrillons south of beregost : (
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Weird, I thought Neera couldn't die in that fight. Is this a new "feature"?
  • EasymaskEasymask Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2013
    Neera has about a 100% higher death rate after they removed her immunity to dying. Now, she takes one hit and dies most of the time.

Oh, and fun read Kilivilitsz! Looking forward to your next character. After the changes to the Neera battle, I find more of my soloers dying during that fight than previously.
    I liked your Game of Thrones references, oh and Hull is an asshole. He talks all nice to you so you'll get his sword, then insults you afterward if your CHA score isn't to his liking.

As for Neera being killable, I like that. It does add a bit of challenge to the fight, since you have to worry about keeping her alive, also you don't end up with her absorbing hits like a mage shouldn't be able to.

My party was able to take her down with her alive, though we did lose Khalid
  • EasymaskEasymask Member Posts: 22
    @SirK8 sounds like Khalid did what he does best, then!
    Yeah, and I'd say overall we had a net gain... a gem bag and a magical staff (to sell) for Khalid's life. Not a bad trade :) Though this is a no resurrection game, so I do want to try and preserve the lives of NPCs so as not to run out in the end (if I make it that far!)
    Not much play time today. We run across some flaming fist enforcers who accuse us of being bandits. It seemed a case of mistaken identity, but we couldn't take the chance that they were on to our recent misdeeds. So we killed them and looted their armor, plate mail for all!

Feeling good about ourselves for ridding the world of three of these shmucks we went back to Beregost and commited some B&E including the mansion up North, we got quite a haul.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    edited November 2013
    Well I did reload a couple times :) , but Pia the level 1 Assassin has made it to Bhaal's Temple, time to die Sarevok!

Sarevok went down to the might of level 1 Pia, the new god of murder! :)

Xzar started whining about heading to Nashkel so we set our sites south. It was with mixed emotion that we left Beregost behind - such good times. Upon arriving in Nashkel I could see why Xzar was at home here... the place was full of looneys! First some guy dancing in the street yelling about justice

Then some cleric lady who thought she could take out six well armed adventurers all by herself, not to mention first announcing her intention. She got a hold spell off on me, but the others cut her down nice and easy

We decided to take a walk around town, spoke to some guy who thought I was someone named Greywolf... pocketed his 200 gold, his loss for being stupid. We talked to the mayor and promised to check out the mines.. yadda yadda, sure if we get some time - though Kagain's axes keep breaking so it may be worth it just for that. Then we ran across some annoying guy that wouldn't SHUT UP, so we shut him up... the town didn't seem to mind to much

We robbed a few peasants, almost got caught on one house... maybe this place isn't so bad after all

We decided to start in on the job Kagain hired us for initially, we did some searching but he gave up on it pretty quick - I'm starting to think it was all just an excuse to join our party. I don't mind though, he seems to enjoy the same type of fun I do.

Came across a talking chicken, was hoping for a nice reward from the guy's mentor, we didn't even get a discount at the shop.

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Alright I just got done with possibly the best run I've ever had at this challenge. I'm going to link an imgur album ( http://imgur.com/a/n4pm7 ) with all the screenshots I took, although the order is mangled for some reason so just take it for what it is.

I went with a Halfing Bounty Hunter, Edgar, and cheesed the hell out of traps. It worked out quite amazingly and I had few mistakes in the entire run up until the end where I started doing stupid crap with complete lack of preparation. The screenshot I uploaded has 76 stats because I used a Con tome on him and realized I didn't snap a screenshot of his record page so I did it after the run.

I basically explored and destroyed the whole sword coast and scoured every area below Baldurs Gate. I'll highlight the NPC's I lost and the major mistakes I made as well as the end of the run. To be honest I considered cheating at one point with a reload but after 10 or 15 minutes of thinking I just took the bullet and stayed true to the challenge, I will go into detail on this

- Dynaheir was disposed of swiftly with the intention of picking up Edwin or Baeloth in the future. Sorry Minsc

- Minsc got smashed by an Ogre Berserker and his gang of Ogrillon and Hob Goblin thugs. Not a heavy loss but I wanted Minsc to endure so we had a moment of silence for him. Ajantis made a better 2 handed sword artist anyway

- Viconia's death was the start of a series of ridiculous and saddening mistakes. The Basilisk area was the source of failure and it ate me up and spat me out by the end. My first mistake was entering this area from the north - your positioning is horrible and you are forced to fight through basilisks to get to Korax. My second mistake was leaving the Belt of Antipode on Viconia. My third mistake was leaving the default ai scripts on all my NPC's and being too content with them running into battle. My fourth mistake was CASTING A FIREBALL ON TOP OF HER WITH BAELOTH in a thoughtless panic. Yep. With the -100 fire resist thanks to the belt she had no chance and was a incinerated. I can't justify my brilliant play so it is what it is. I blew her up with a fireball.

- Kivan's demise was when I seriously considered a reload. I've never done a reload once for this challenge because I feel like a dirty cheating scum but since I got so far in this run and he was so precious to me it took a lot of pondering. After being done with the Basilisk area and losing Viconia, I remember thinking to myself when I was leaving "Thank fuck thats over". Well.... I got waylaid by a Basilisk on my way out with no stone to flesh scrolls and Kivan was Medusa'd before my eyes. He had over 20,000 gold worth of fire/cold/biting arrows on him, the longbow of marskmanship, the archer gauntlets, all my magical potions and a chainmail +2 and a bunch of other valuable stuff. All gone. After much thought about a reload to keep some of his items, then kill him, it was decided that cheating was not an option. I'm glad I took the loss and stuck with the challenge.

- Rasaad was picked up with not much intention of keeping him. His poor AC led to his inevitable death at the hands of an Ogre Berserker. Didn't get a chance to use his Sun Soul Monk abilities before his grave was buried

- Branwen was a rock solid replacement for Viconia who the party was still heavily mourning. Her proficiencies were spot on and she had a better melee prowess than Viconia. Her death came at the hands of a baby wyvern in cloakwood. A crippling and deadly 5 damage poison per second withered her life away and didn't even leave a window to drink an antidote. Edgar's slow poison spell was 1 second late and she was buried in the wyvern cave.

- Yeslick's death was due to another colossal mistake on my part. Right around the corner from where he was imprisoned was a mage named Hareishan. I gave the witch far too much time to employ her magics and she got off an invisibility spell off and positioned herself for a lightning bolt spell. The lightning pierced the party and damn well near killed Coran, Ajantis and Yeslick after several bounces. A sneaky flame arrow spell sadly finished Yeslick off.

- The end of this challenge came at the hands of Davaeorn. Actually it came at the hands of a ghoul he summoned. I think I would of easily defeated him if I had taken off the stupid NPC ai scripts. I had baeloth cast an Improved Invisibility 10' radius spell after buffing everybody with potions, spells etc. As I position myself behind him with my whole crew Ajantis decides to take a swing at him and start a horrible initiation. Everything happened pretty fast after that, I tried to dispel magic on Davaeorn but he shadow doored away and I missed. The battle horrors came and were hacking away as I tried to decide whether to chase Davaeorn or take them out first. I'm not sure if it was a fireball or a lightning spell or what but the damage piled on FAST. Ajantis dropped, followed by Baeloth and Kagain. With just Edgar and Coran left, I went for the kill. Another mistake I made was using a potion of firebreath in a last ditch effort with Edgar. I thought it was a ranged fireball potion like the other 2 but it's melee and I ran right up to him. Woops. Coran's arrows were doing work but he got a Summon Monster III spell off right before he died. 2 ghouls were spawned and Edgar was struck and held. The last hope was Coran's archery skill. He managed to take 1 of the ghouls down but the second one finished the job.

A great run, I had a ton of fun. The reason I had so much success was because a single class thief levels up so damn fast. Some of the NPC's I picked up started at twice the level Edgar was. Recruiting NPC's at a high level is a far better route than raising them yourself.

I'll be back to conquer this challenge.. one day..