Skip to content

Chronic Restarting Detox Camp

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I hear you @TheElf ... you create those great characters and then never get to play with them. Only fantasize about playing...and then ... at night ... you can hear those chars calling for you.
    "Play me! Play me!'
    lolienNonnahswritertbone1
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I've never had this problem with BG. I did have it with Civ 4, and before that Star Wars: Rebellion, many many times
    tbone1
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Try to beat the 75 stat no reload/resurrection challenge

so many pre chapter 2 restarts it makes this thread seem mediocre
    WilburJuliusBorisovlolientbone1
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

Try to beat the 75 stat no reload/resurrection challenge

so many pre chapter 2 restarts it makes this thread seem mediocre

Don't tempt me. I like having a life outside of Baldur's Gate.
    Wilburlolientbone1
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Restarted my Sorcerer (now Dragon Disciple, yay!) a couple times due to various really petty things... now I'm this close to restarting once more because of that horrible metallic screeching sound in eastern Baldur's Gate. I know the patch has fixed it but it doesn't work retroactively sadly. But I really really do not want to do Cloakwood once more :(
    Wilburlolien
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Aaand.. i am restarting because of the patch. Just ot make sure i don't miss anything they changed, fixed or broke.
    WilburMortiannalolientbone1
    Michail said:

Aaand.. i am restarting because of the patch. Just ot make sure i don't miss anything they changed, fixed or broke.

I envy your ability to do that.
    lolientbone1
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Arcalian said:

I've never had this problem with BG. I did have it with Civ 4, and before that Star Wars: Rebellion, many many times

civilization is my biggest culprit of restarts. I actually keep restarting in single player until I like the starting area and sometimes until I am alone on an island if I want. I have literally never finished a complete game in civ 5. my second biggest culprit is just any game I put down for a long time. I have problems getting back into the character after months away.
    Wilburlolientbone1
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Southpaw said:

@Kneller - runner-up for "best written chronic restarter confession".
    As your prize, you will be entitled to BG2EE. Be wary, it's a double-edged sword!

So you see, it's not my fault. It's like this game has been perfectly engineered in a secret government lab to f*ck up my life.

And what kind of prize is BG2EE? After the broken Firebead quest in BGEE, I went back to the GoG version. I mean, if they let something that simple and soon slip through the cracks, then who knows what fresh hell EE has in store for me.

I'm still working through the old hell...
    nano said:

Do any of you guys write a journal for your adventures? I started doing this to help me stick to one character. It worked, but now I can't play because of writer's block...

The user journal? Started it for the first time on a dwarven defender and his misadventures with Neera and Safana vying for his affection as he has misgivings about dating tall women. That doesn't mean I haven't combined writing with my BG character before though: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22604/veraka-s-saga#latest is my attempt to retell my jester's misadventures through epic verse. This is coming after the fact though, so I guess it wasn't able to help me stay focused on her (though the continued interest I have will probably help push her through BG2:EE).
    lolien
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

nano said:

Do any of you guys write a journal for your adventures? I started doing this to help me stick to one character. It worked, but now I can't play because of writer's block...

The user journal? Started it for the first time on a dwarven defender and his misadventures with Neera and Safana vying for his affection as he has misgivings about dating tall women. That doesn't mean I haven't combined writing with my BG character before though: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22604/veraka-s-saga#latest is my attempt to retell my jester's misadventures through epic verse. This is coming after the fact though, so I guess it wasn't able to help me stay focused on her (though the continued interest I have will probably help push her through BG2:EE).
    Ah, I don't use the user journal myself. It's just a text file that I make notes in, kind of like what you're doing in that thread (but not in epic verse, that's way beyond my skills). It started off with fragments like "Imoen rescued me. Khalid missing." but it's grown to the point where I've been writing a page for every encounter. One good thing is that it's forced me to be very careful with my characters because if one of them dies I have to write a whole scene for that. It's also hard to make cheese sound good on paper so my playthrough has been more honest than usual. It's definitely enhanced the game for me so I'm glad to see others are doing it too!
    lolien
    Indeed, I was forced to justify to myself why I killed off Montaron and Dynaheir with my jester. As a chaotic neutral character with bad Wisdom, sometimes the answer is she made a poor judgment call, though she still has a reason (not always a good one). Cheesier things than this (weird tactics to kill Driz'zt, etc.) definitely sound very bad when written in story form and they make you reconsider what you're doing. For me, the last time I killed Driz'zt was before they had fixed the pathing problem. ^_^
    lolientbone1
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Given Montaron basically threatening to kill you in your sleep every few minutes, it's not too hard to justify killing him for self-preservation. Dynaheir on the other hand, I guess it depends if you have Edwin and feel like he's more likely to help you achieve your goals?

For me more of the cheese is when you do things specifically to lower rep to keep certain party members, like picking pocket in plain sight then running away, or when you rob people's houses immediately after doing a quest for them. Yup, just found your son and gave you 100 gold, now I'm going to pick the lock on your door while you watch and then rob all your items. These things are harder to do if you are trying to RP, and just saying you are crazy isn't an answer. :)
    lolien
  • It's not my fault, I don't like any of the fighter kits and the bard can't dual class, and I'm struggling

I would be more inclined to write on the journal if it carried over to BG2
    nano said:

Hilarious
    BaldursCatEudaemoniumlolien
    @Time4Tiddy Indeed. Veraka kept her reputation hovering around average by executing the occasional NPC that she felt needed to die (when you have the option to let them live and spare them). Some of those NPCs don't give a reputation hit, some do. She could be surprisingly stone cold in terms of forgiveness and mercy.

She ended up not resurrecting Dynaheir after the group's rest was interrupted by xvarts and one got a lucky stab in on her. Of course, Veraka was also a bit jealous of Dynaheir and the attention Minsc paid to her so that weighted her decision... Veraka is not a nice lady per se, she just manages to *not quite* be downright evil.
    lolien
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    @LordRumfish Approved. :) I always manage to wander into that tavern in BG with an evil party member right around the time I need to drop my rep "naturally" - it's not my fault if that dumb paladin attacks me first!
    LordRumfish
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @LordRumfish Totally agree. Many NPCs have slept soundly because of the mountain of writing I'd have to do to explain away their deaths :)

For troublesome party members, I'd claim them as unfortunate accidents in a dangerous line of work (maybe Monty got bloodthirsty and charged into a fight) or leave them in an inn. It's also tricky to justify booting some characters who need your help. I want Neera's gem bag, but I don't want her around. And Aerie and Nalia didn't seem to understand why I had to free up a spot in the party...

@Time4Tiddy
    I think a few accidents while stealing are plausible. Not the murder sort of "accident", but things like opening a chest you're not supposed to and getting spotted. Maybe Imoen got curious as to what was inside and decided to take a peek, not that she'd ever dream of taking what's not hers, no sir! Look, since we're obviously innocent, we'll save you the trouble of arresting us and RUN FOR IT!
    LordRumfishlolien
    Southpaw said:

That orphanage ATTACKED ME!

100 points for Richard reference!
    MichailnemiafalaEudaemoniumlolien
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2013
    Regarding the reputation thing, I created a script that allows me to set my reputation back to whatever level I want at the press of a button. While it could be abused I find it stops me performing strange/inconsistent actions purely for the sake of keeping my party together. I wish there was an option to turn reputation off altogether as it seems like a terribly implemented mechanic to me. This still doesn't prevent me spending all my time re-rolling new characters though.
    Post edited by csuzw on
    lolien
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited November 2013
    @csuzw - Well...I don't have problems with role playing evil acts. See...my CHARNAME is ultimately going to become a god and a power to reckon. He needs to occasionally remind the folks that he is not to be trifled with.

You see...you do good things and people will try to abuse it, con you and think you are a pushover. (Saemon Havarian)
    You do only evil acts and the police force will be on your tail all the time. (Flaming Fist)
    So...what is the solution then?
    Do acts of good in the most evil way possible...
    (Like the quest for Ramazith and Ragefast, where you kill Ragefast, then Ramazith (for being a douche) and the SIren as well in the end (she would die anyway, you are just relieving her of a slow death) ...see? I'm helping! )
    lolientbone1
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Demented, play mgs4. Its a great game!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Shin said:

I feel your pain. My restarting is of the painful, meticulous kind. Even if I'm progressing through BG2 or even ToB.. even if I am just about to import from BG1 into BG2 when I feel the urge to restart, I have to go back all the way to Candlekeep and start anew from there; doing every sidequest, talking to every NPC, killing every enemy and opening almost every container. Nothing else is permitted.

Wow. I do the same thing. It's like a perfectionistic ritual. Starting a new character in BG2 never felt authentic to me, so, like you, I always started a new one in BG and would play it all over again (doing every side quest, etc.) and then import my character to BG2 where, of course, I must open every container, do every possible quest/encounter, explore empty areas, and talk to nearly every NPC.

I'm sure I'll continue the same behavior throughout BG2EE as well. By then, the developers will probably have all of the bugs ironed out of BGEE--yet another reason to start over!
    MichailEudaemoniumlolientbone1
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    We're what, 9 days away from BG2EE, and I just rolled a new Jester. I can't shake this thing!
    lolien
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Mortianna said:

Wow. I do the same thing. It's like a perfectionistic ritual. Starting a new character in BG2 never felt authentic to me, so, like you, I always started a new one in BG and would play it all over again (doing every side quest, etc.) and then import my character to BG2 where, of course, I must open every container, do every possible quest/encounter, explore empty areas, and talk to nearly every NPC.

A ritual.... It actually is one, of a sort. A zen thing, if you like.
    I am happy not to be the only one not feeling just right if I don't go through the whole process. Quick, someone write a thesis on our relationship to the games we love.
    Mortiannalolien