Skip to content

Chronic Restarting Detox Camp

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    jackjack said:

We're what, 9 days away from BG2EE, and I just rolled a new Jester. I can't shake this thing!

I just rolled a new Swashbuckler myself. :P That other thread comparing F/T to Swashbuckler inspired me.
    lolien
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, No, no, no.
    Eudaemoniumlolientbone1
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

All this great custom art needs a character to be paired with it, right?

Can't have character portraits go unused!
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262

All this great custom art needs a character to be paired with it, right?

Hehe, I posted earlier about rolling a female halfling cleric just to fit the voice that says "I've got the world's biggest ouchie!" Part of what I love about BG and BG2 are the voice sets, for both PC and NPCs, so... I don't roll for the custom art, I roll CHARNAMEs to match up with all the voices. Darn those six new voice sets!!
    lolien
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I downloaded dosbox to this computer so Eye of the beholder 3 would be ready for me when I am done with bg. I popped in to the game for like five min. saw all the generic gear and toons I had no attachment to and was like shit I have to start all over. I think I will try to run it hc this time around apart from maybe lv 4 ...? god Im dead already.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Only a week away from BG2EE and I just decided I'd rather do a Fighter/Mage than a Swashbuckler..... *sighs* I'm guessing I wont have a character ready in time to import into BG2EE, unless I just create one, give myself the max XP and a copy of each tome (3 of the wisdom tomes). And all the mage spells he would have picked up along the way.

I wonder if its all possible to quickly get through most of the game in just a few days so that I wont have to resort to cheating my character to where I want it for BG2EE :P
    lolienCrevsDaak
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Elendar said:

Only a week away from BG2EE and I just decided I'd rather do a Fighter/Mage than a Swashbuckler..... *sighs* I'm guessing I wont have a character ready in time to import into BG2EE, unless I just create one, give myself the max XP and a copy of each tome (3 of the wisdom tomes). And all the mage spells he would have picked up along the way.

I wonder if its all possible to quickly get through most of the game in just a few days so that I wont have to resort to cheating my character to where I want it for BG2EE :P

Yea same here I have just decided to wait and till bg2ee comes out so I can see if they do something else with sd till then I am floating between bg1, eob1, and zoo tycoon.
    ElendarCrevsDaaklolien
  • PestilentPestilent Member Posts: 1
    Elendar said:

I usually make it past character creation, and start doing the quests around Beregost and FAI to level up a bit before going down into the mines. Then I decide I'd rather play an evil character so that I can have Dorn, or decide that a Fighter/Mage PC would be a better character than a Cleric/Illusionist to bring into BG2:EE.. Then I just get bored because of how many times I've played through BG1 and drop the game for a day or two.. before another interesting character idea hits me. :P From the looks of it, I'll just have to use my Cavalier in BG2EE (only character I've actually managed to finish BGEE with).

lol this is me

ReadingRambololien
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    If you skip all the sidequests, only going out of your way to get tomes, you can pretty easily get through the game in 10-12 hours. You may find the final battle a little challenging, but with the right party you'll be fine. Assuming the same conventions as BG1-BG2 vanilla, if you are below the 89k minimum xp for BG2, they will increase your CHARNAME's level until you are at 89k.
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yep, if you powerlevel solo for a bit and then recruit your NPCs you can plow through the game really fast. Maybe even in a few hours. I remember seeing someone finish in under two hours playing "legit" (ie without abusing glitches/extensive cheese like a speedrun). But it does kind of take the fun out of it unless you like that sort of thing.
    lolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    So... I just got through the maze, and I'm standing in front of the temple doors... And I thought... I wonder what it would be like to play as a Kensia / Thief...
    jackjackCrevsDaaklolientbone1
  • You guys are completely insane. I've never once rolled a new character before finishing the playthrough with my current charname. If I start one in BG1, I don't start any new characters until that one is all the way through ToB. Why would you do such a thing?

Look, if you reroll then you never get to complete the game. Think of how much xp and how many journal entries you're missing! Loviatar's pain, you would still have unfinished quests in your quest log! There could even be a random encounter that you haven't gotten to. And how much of your area maps is still covered by unsightly black fog of war? Not only that, think of how many mobs there are unkilled, and potentially even unlooted. You could be leaving a Composite Longbow +1 laying around and it would just sit there and SIT THERE. FOREVER! There...there could even be a minor NPC whose party-member-specific dialogue you didn't get a chance to see. It could even be one with voiced dialogue. /sob

I just can't think about this any more.
    LordRumfishSouthpawlolien
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Cyteen said:

You guys are completely insane. I've never once rolled a new character before finishing the playthrough with my current charname. If I start one in BG1, I don't start any new characters until that one is all the way through ToB. Why would you do such a thing?

Look, if you reroll then you never get to complete the game. Think of how much xp and how many journal entries you're missing! Loviatar's pain, you would still have unfinished quests in your quest log! There could even be a random encounter that you haven't gotten to. And how much of your area maps is still covered by unsightly black fog of war? Not only that, think of how many mobs there are unkilled, and potentially even unlooted. You could be leaving a Composite Longbow +1 laying around and it would just sit there and SIT THERE. FOREVER! There...there could even be a minor NPC whose party-member-specific dialogue you didn't get a chance to see. It could even be one with voiced dialogue. /sob

I just can't think about this any more.

Yes, but think of completing that random encounter with a *different* character. It could totally be cooler with a new class.
    jackjacklolien
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    And think about alllll the things you missed...yesssss, my precious!

Perhaps behind that rock...or perhaps that npc. Oooohhh....now you don't really want to rush to the end, do you?

In fact, you will never complete the game again!

Hahahhahahahaaaa!
    Southpawlolientbone1
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    You know, sometimes, I'm not sure rerollitis is such a bad thing. It turns every game into a "Neverending Story". Endings can be sad. I kind of like the idea of there being lots and lots of content that I've never seen in a game because I keep restarting before the end.

I've never seen at least the last half of Mask of the Betrayer, and I still have it on my mental backburner to get to it someday, and also, I want to take that rainbow fallen bear god, instead of the boring druid guy I took last time.

I've only ever finished Hordes of the Underdark once (there are still party combinations I'd like to try in HotU), and Throne of Bhaal once, by forcing myself to go to the end, while part of me was kicking and screaming to go back to the beginning of BG1.

In my current BG2:EE run, I've barely started, and I'm already thinking about all the party members I haven't been using, and how cool it would be to be playing a -fill-in-the-blank- alternate charname.

I'm mostly still pushing through with this run because I've skipped Tradesmeet, Umar Hills, and Windspear, in favor of heading straight for Imoen, which I've never done before, and I want to see my "Turmish Play" in my stronghold, which I've never seen before, and, oh yeah, I still want to go see Neera's new area that's marked on my map, and I'm trying out the Branwen mod, and I want to see her comments on everything.

My constant need to restart has had the side effect of making it so that there's still a lot of new content in all my favorite D&D games after all these years, so I can still get excited about them.
    LordRumfishlolientbone1
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The more I keep rerolling new characters, the longer I can put off ToB.
    mylegbigBelgarathMTHlolien
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I'm a chronic restarter, but not for lack of trying. The only way the game seems enjoyable any more is to do no reload runs, because otherwise the game is just reload-reload-reload every time something bad happens.
    lolien
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    jackjack said:

The more I keep rerolling new characters, the longer I can put off ToB.

The funny thing is that I always create characters with the end game in mind, but I haven't beaten ToB in... I don't know how many years.
    jackjacklolientbone1
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    The same happens to me in FPS, I can't stand with a gun of 8 shots per cartridge with only 7, no, I have to reload it, and after that, I reload it again, but, not to load it, to reload it just, because, just reloading reloads.................
    @LordRumfish help me load the truck again!
    but we loaded it 46183 times already!!!!
    Just, come and help me reload it.
    OK, going to!
    See??!??!? I have an impulse to reload things, like.
    *reloads draft comment*
    The same happens to me in FPS, I can't stand with a gun
    *reloads draft comment*
    *reloads draft comment*
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.
    And again.
    lolienNonnahswriter
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    ( @CrevsDaak 's atoms get torn apart as he/she crosses the Reload Event Horizon of the black hole known as Uncertainty. On the other side, he/she reassembles through a matter funnel known as a white hole, manifesting into an alternate universe as a being of pure thought coalesced through a cloud of highly intelligent dark blue particles. Upon realizing this for a fraction of a moment, @CrevsDaak 's mind refuses this as an impossibility, reforming a body out of astral particles and repositioning in space to become a facsimile of the person he/she was before, not realizing his/her newfound potential. After surviving this ordeal but writing it off as a bad dream brought on by undercooked mutton, he/she goes back to reloading the forum page as he/she cannot stand the blinking of the cursor after the first blink. The cycle begins anew.)
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Now I have become a reloader, RELOADER OF SAVES, WORLDS, TRUCKS, AIRPLANES AND CATS!!!!!!!!!!!
    jackjackTime4Tiddylolientbone1
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

@CrevsDaak You have reached the Reload Event Horizon, and are now at risk of being shipped off to the same zoo that Schroedinger's cat may or may not be at, on the back of Zeno's arrow.

Oh my...this sentence is so meaningful on so many levels. I hope the turtle runs faster this time, as then Crevs will never get there.
    CrevsDaakLordRumfishlolientbone1
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Hello all, my name is RedWizard and I am a chronic restarter.
    I must have played BG1EE about 10 times to the mid/end with the same damn character build except I always keep finding ways to improve/change it such as change weapon proficiencies. Then I start BG2 and give up near the end of chapter 2 as I don't feel satisfied.
    I'm currently very happy playing BG2EE with my fighter>mage dagger run, wish me luck!
    Oh who am I kidding. I just started BG1EE with a half orc fighter/cleric.
    CrevsDaakGoturallolientbone1
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    Edit: bloody double posts.
    I'll go ahead and reserve this spot for the NEXT time I relapse.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    lolien