Skip to content

Game Update: v1.2.0

Comments

• JoltJolt Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    Im angry too, about the thing with the Patch, but for poeple like this guy at the steam forums a little attacking is ok :p But he is right with one thing...Some Things must go better with BG2. Especially the Other-languages -and plattforms support. Its annoying to have all time the feeling to be a second-class customer if you came not from america or using a steam gameversion, or maybe iOS or Android.
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    Read that comment too, actually just a tooltip you get when hovering over the topic. It was enough for me to realize that it was not worth opening and reading further.

I've expressed my displeasure with the state of affairs concerning the Steam patch (before that tweet about Beamdog doing everything to resolve the situation) on these very boards but always in a respectful manner. Snark here and there is ok, in moderation, but I always keep in mind that I'm seeking information from a developer regarding something, not ranting and trolling to ease my mental state. You're much more likely to get that info if you maintain decorum.
  • NoxarNoxar Member Posts: 21
    Let's stop talking about Steam, what im interested is to know if after this patch will the crew still work on BG:EE or will they mostly only contribute to BG2:EE because i whould like to see full multi language support first :), i love BG more than BG2, mayby because its the first game i ever ended, but from my point the BG:EE is still unfinished.
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    Ok noob question here: I'm in chapter 4 and most of my party still hasn't full items. I did almost every quest i could find. Is this normal or i'm doing something wrong?
    Noxar said:

Let's stop talking about Steam, what im interested is to know if after this patch will the crew still work on BG:EE or will they mostly only contribute to BG2:EE because i whould like to see full multi language support first :), i love BG more than BG2, mayby because its the first game i ever ended, but from my point the BG:EE is still unfinished.

They've clearly stated that this would not be the last patch for BG:EE. So yeah, they will work on it still. I suspect that any improvements done to BG2:EE through patching process will be implemented in the original game as well. Since we are talking about the same engine and both games going through the same treatment, that won't be hard to do.

• BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    mirceapui said:

Ok noob question here: I'm in chapter 4 and most of my party still hasn't full items. I did almost every quest i could find. Is this normal or i'm doing something wrong?

It's normal. By the end of the game most of your characters might have close to a full set of magic items, but magic items are scarce enough to make distributing them between characters a challenge. :)
  • Olek77Olek77 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

Big thanks to all of you helping to release this patch!

For me - this is the first version where the "adventure really starts".
    Everything looks much better now.

Very smooth UI now.
    Nice semitransparent dialoges and map background.
    The font looks even better.
    The spells looks smoother.
    Animations looks a little bit improved.

Item system is quite well for me now.
    I never see some items I found bevore ( in the last 13 years I played BG1 )

Better looking startup menu now.

Go on with this!

best regards,

Olek
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    revanbh said:

Noxar said:

They've clearly stated that this would not be the last patch for BG:EE. So yeah, they will work on it still. I suspect that any improvements done to BG2:EE through patching process will be implemented in the original game as well. Since we are talking about the same engine and both games going through the same treatment, that won't be hard to do.

Also, if I remember correctly, there are two separate teams for the content of the games.

But yes, they said this was not going to be the last patch and that they will keep working on BG:EE.
  • komonokomono Member Posts: 19
    So do you guys at Beamdog have access to the steam build now or...? If so any chances you guys would look at the missing image problem as well after you've managed to patch up the game?
  • ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42
    Anywys, i can understand this guy also in some points. Baldurs Gate:EE is not better than the old one actually the old one BG1 + BG2 + Big World Mod is still much better. I dunno how this 1.2 Patch is looking and I'm normally love Baldurs Gate, but to be honest, BG:EE isn't worth the money if you have already the old games. It's just my opinion. This game has nothing special in that case... sadly.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Before BG2-EE release around one week , May i think Nov.15th is solid date ?
    Sed said:

@ayuno you clearly haven't played the game in its current state ^^

Unfortunately, you r right. I don't have the new update cause It's not released on steam. If you say It's even better with that new patch then I'll take my criticism back for a while.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    @Dee

For me the difference between v1.2 and v1.0.214 was the game running or not. All hail v1.2!
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    Necdilzor said:

@Dee

For me the difference between v1.2 and v1.0.214 was the game running or not. All hail v1.2!

Yes and You can play the game after one year ^^
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2013
    the game should work properly at the release date, that's my opinion. I have never had a single problem with performance though. I enjoy the game and i'm really happy Beamdog released the EE. And i hope that everyone will be able to play BG 2 EE November 2013 not November 2014
    Dee said:

I can say, for myself, that after spending so much time with v1.2, every time I load up the 1.0.2014 version of the game there's a minute where I completely agree with anyone who's ever complained about anything. It's really night and day between them.

God... I can't wait anymore. I've slight shudder on my hands. I create my own Character in my fantasy already. His name will be Lancelot!.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    Don't get me wrong I do love Steam, but you always have to be patient with them. They always have issues with delayed patches, things not installing correctly, or issues with payment going through with certain DLC's. I've seen several developers complain about this often.

Don't get me wrong I do love Steam, but you always have to be patient with them. They always have issues with delayed patches, things not installing correctly, or issues with payment going through with certain DLC's. I've seen several developers complain about this often.

I'm agree with you. But It's still a good solution for me compared with other platforms except gog.com. Gog.com is good but.. It's just for a specific group of people cause most of these game are in english so, as someone who doesn't speak/understand english It's highly uncomfortable.

If steam changes his mind and the games there will also available as DRM free software, then this will be the only one true platform worldwide i guess. But this will never happens.
  • n00bodyn00body Member Posts: 14
    Is just me or Steam just released an update (9mb I guess) for BG:EE? It seems the ''patch'' didn't effect the game at all, but still its a good news. Right?
  • AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    Just VC++ 2008 redist , nothing fancy. Maybe they're needed for 1.2 and this is a way of testing the update system?
  • lycanraviolilycanravioli Member Posts: 9
    Had me ridiculously excited there for a moment - I should have realised that 9.3 MB is too little for the v1.2 patch :D anywayz, makes sense that they would test the update process first... and if this means Beamdog / Overhaul are taking over the Steam distribution then yay !
  • EketEket Member Posts: 69
    Would have been nice if the patch was released on all platforms at the same time. It takes longer for the steam and iPad version to be released, and btw the iPad version was just delayed by god knows how long. Basically, what i'm saying is get those versions out the door first. At least we would all be able to enjoy the patch at roughly the same time.

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Great patch — definitely worth waiting for, too bad I already finished the game and I'm waiting for BGII to export my character.

One thing that bothers me though, are the portraits. I don't like the change. To be more specific, if I make a custom portrait, the large one tends to be vastly different than the small one. I have a full body on one (with a sword and torso for instance), but only zoomed on face on the other. If you are going to make it so it automatically resizes the large image, it will look bad. Unless of course you still can choose the small one independently.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You can still use the small one independently; the change just makes it so you don't have to use a small one.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    @Eket so nobody would enjoy the patch until now ... what would be the benefit of this?

those (corporate driven) appstores (apple) and distribution platforms (steam) instead of direct sales and downloads just provoke those delays, and people supporting those stores should be aware (or have to learn the hard way) that they are at the mercy of their distributor to give support *after* the money has moved (which is a drag for the distributor from that very moment)
    ... and having a publisher inbetween that does strange decisions while going bancrupt doesn't help either.
  • JonMarcJonMarc Member Posts: 17
    Dee said:

I can say, for myself, that after spending so much time with v1.2, every time I load up the 1.0.2014 version of the game there's a minute where I completely agree with anyone who's ever complained about anything. It's really night and day between them.

You're such a tease.
    ayuno said:

Anywys, i can understand this guy also in some points. Baldurs Gate:EE is not better than the old one actually the old one BG1 + BG2 + Big World Mod is still much better. I dunno how this 1.2 Patch is looking and I'm normally love Baldurs Gate, but to be honest, BG:EE isn't worth the money if you have already the old games. It's just my opinion. This game has nothing special in that case... sadly.

The only reason why BG:EE is not superior version yet, to me, is the mods, more accurately lack thereof. I can't imagine BG without BG1 NPC and SCS. Once these mods are made compatible with the game, BG:EE will be the definitive version for me. Beamdog, for their part, have done a great job regarding optimization and additions. If they had original assets, I'm sure they could have done even a better job. There were bugs galore, true. There still are some after patch 1.2 apparently, but let's chalk that up to the growing pains and see how they do with BG2:EE.

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @revanbh SCS has been compatible for quite some time...
This discussion has been closed.