Skip to content

Rate BG2:EE out of 10

Comments

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2013
    I think if I listed 100 things that I hoped would change between BG2 and BG2EE, devs would agree about 99 of them but couldn't do anything because legal drama. So I mostly look at the new content, and I'm quite happy with that. However I don't find the game to be as polished as I'd like, between bugs, crashes and a little this and that. Come first patch my 8 is probably a 9.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited November 2013
    No "view result" option? I don't have a copy yet, so I can't decided fairly. But I'm interested in seeing the results.

Edit: nevermind. OP posted the result. Thanks for that.
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    If I wasn't having all these crash issues and bugs I'd rate it a 10 as it's probably my favorite game of all time and the additions are nice, but right now it's just frustrating to play. I'm sure a patch or 2 will fix all or most of the issues tho.
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    I gave it a 7, cause it really doesn't feel like it's very polished. Some annoying bugs and I get crashes about once every hour or so and although it has never really happened at a bad time (and I quicksave like a mad man) it still gets annoying. New content is nice and I still have tons of it to find out. Would probably give it a 9 if everything was working smoothly.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    It still has some annoying, and even gamebreaking bugs
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    That's a lovely distribution.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    ajwz said:

Based off your impressions so far.

So far it's an 8 from my pov.. without the crashes and bugs it'd be a straight 10 *^_^* !!
  • VeroMaestroVeroMaestro Member Posts: 3
    I gave it a 9. I'm encountered few bugs and the new content is awesome.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2013
    I would love to say 10/10, but I rarely ever give that to any game title. 10/10 would imply perfection incarnate, at least in my eyes. It was a toss-up between 8 and 9 for me. I've yet to experience any game breaking issues or crashes, I've only experienced a couple bugs in the small hours that I've been able to play it properly (it's been running for something around thirty hours non-stop, but I've only been able to play for about two). Only one bug that I would say is annoying, but not game breaking. Overall, I would say I'm quite happy with it. Certainly won't be going back to the old originals for a full playthrough.

Edit: and apparently the bug I was having is fixed...
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2013
    Won't officially vote until a complete playthrough, but so far I'd give it a solid 8.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I'm loving it soooooo much now:)

The only thing this edition needs to be perfect is some time - the bugs here and there will be fixed, all mods will be compatible and BG2:EE will definitely be 10/10.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited November 2013
    I face few crash status , but everything is still good enough for me so far, I appreciate the new UI, contents, loot bar, new NPC, I only rate 6 score for BG2-EE is because I still don't satisfy the "enhanced element" , I can pre-order all the BG series to support developers , but I hope they can really show more exciting improvement for us, nobody knows what kind of features will implement in the future and what will be reality , all ideas are possible but the problem is how long ?

I thanks for beamdog bring the game back , but I hope they can speed up their progress and give us more enjoyable instead of long time waiting,
    Post edited by darrenkuo on
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    A little buggy, but a very solid release. Awesome game, just a few little things here and there.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    A bit torn inside whether to give this game an 8, a 9 or a 10.
    Originally, I wanted to give it 9 due to some bugs that came with BG2 (slowing frame-rate, occasional blackout of the main window (restart of the game helps)...)

But I am positive the devs will fix them in some upcoming patch (possibly with some more goodies on top like new kits and stuff)...so here's your 10.

Good job.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    So far I can't get enough of it!!
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    This pool needs a "See the results" option.
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    edited November 2013
    Monsters disappearing bug was known in BGEE a year ago and it takes 10 minutes into new game to find out. There is no excuse for this.
  • pkmnpkmn Member Posts: 22
    Many bugs, the new characters feel as out of place as bad mod NPCs, and it seems like all the new content revolves around these new characters. It's almost comical - I'm sure a first time player could easily tell which are the new characters due to low quality voice acting, unskippable scripted introductions that you have to watch even if you don't want to use the character, and portraits that don't look anything like the style of the original BG2 portrait style.

The amount of new content feels extremely light considering the game cost more than double the non-Enhanced version on Good Old Games.

BG2 is still a great game though... but I think I'd recommend the one at Good Old Games over this version.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Poll results so far:
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    10/10. Call me a fanboy if you like.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    pkmn said:

Many bugs, the new characters feel as out of place as bad mod NPCs, and it seems like all the new content revolves around these new characters. It's almost comical - I'm sure a first time player could easily tell which are the new characters due to low quality voice acting, unskippable scripted introductions that you have to watch even if you don't want to use the character, and portraits that don't look anything like the style of the original BG2 portrait style.

The amount of new content feels extremely light considering the game cost more than double the non-Enhanced version on Good Old Games.

BG2 is still a great game though... but I think I'd recommend the one at Good Old Games over this version.

I do feel that the biggest problem with both BG:EE and BG2:EE is that all the new content: the dungeons, areas, gear, etc. are ENTIRELY tied in with the new npcs. Wanna experience a new place? Gotta take the new characters, regardless of whether you want to or not. Plenty of existing npcs have recruitment type quests, but none require them to be in the party, and some have personal quests that require they be in the party, but nothing on the scale of the new npcs.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Is that true? I encountered Neera and said something like "Well, nice seeing you" and she marked a new area on my map.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    I'm going for tough love.

shitloads of new and shiny gamebreaking and/or simply annoying bugs, with no important UI improvements, and only a couple of new NPCs/areas, in a game that pretty much is an obvious beta? yeah, that gets you a four.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    rdarken said:

Is that true? I encountered Neera and said something like "Well, nice seeing you" and she marked a new area on my map.

Ah, good point. I think you actually can do some of the stuff surrounding Neera, but I think you'll be stopped from doing it all if she isn't in your party. I'm honestly not sure.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I enjoy the game greatly, but I did that a decade ago. That is to say, I am reserving my rating to the efforts Beamdog made to improve the base game. New content is enjoyable, and fits in better that of its predecessor, though decidedly more modern than the original content. I feel the new UI is a significant improvement, particularly the loot pane. Instantaneous save/load is wonderful, as is the new matchmaking, though I have only tried that very briefly. A workable journal is a pleasant surprise.

That being said, the game feels a little buggy for a full release, closer to an open beta in terms of polish. However, I certainly do not regret my purchase.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    I give it a 9.5 due to a few bugs. Still the greatest game ever.
    Of course, the original game was full of bugs as well, so hard to hold some bugs against EE.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    too many bugs, but so far i'm pretty impressed. Black pits was really good, Kinda sad that the whole "plotting" part broke up in my game
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    For those who keep debating the value of the thieves and whom to take, if you prefer Imoen take her, in BG2 she doesn't leave the party regardless of reputation if I recall correctly.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I would give a 12 because of .... can't say, it's a spoiler, but..... oh my god!!!!
    Let's just say Tom Hanks.... who can understand will understand.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

with no important UI improvements

I assume you've tried playing the original?