Skip to content

Why I am unhappy with Hexxat *spoiler*

Comments

• YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    As there is already 8 full pages of comments on this matter, I'm sure that my opinion has already been said but I might as well throw it out there.

I would love to save Clara at the cost of killing Hexxat. Even if she becomes just a blank slate NPC, as Hexxat said her character was. If we wanted a great story, we got it. But even for an evil party, hauling around a vampire doesn't seem like a good option. I just feel like it's similar to the chaotic evil is not "Chaotic dumb" analogy. Sure, we have Dorn's quest:
    Slaying paladins at a wedding

And certainly that is very evil, but it is justifiable compared to having a vampire walk around at your backs.

I think the best solution would be to give the option to save Clara. Give her a voiceset and leave her as a chaotic neutral thief with no special quest. Those would want a great story have it. Those who want a power-gaming evil thief are happy. Those who just want a vanilla thief or want the cute girl after saving her are happy.

And as the answer to the obvious follow up questions, yes I would pay for it.
    jankielQuartz
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @YupImMadBro
    Bro, do you even have faith? I'm immune to level drain and can turn undead. I'll party with a vampire all DAY.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I am unhappy she isnt romanceble by male. Poor execution
  • alooullaalooulla Member Posts: 1
    I just thought Clara was beautiful, and Hexxat was not. I like beautiful women in my party. Usefulness is secondary. a Clara romance would also help. As it is, i feel like i was tricked into killing a particularly hard (for my level and equipment) enemy for no purpose.
    EmmiSulla
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    I too was a bit surprised at the lack of a 'keeping Clara alive' option (as in a 'dude don't drink blood when I'm watching' kind of intervention, not a 'hey I prefer the befuddled girl to the totally cool vampire lady' thing) at first but I'm liking Hexxat immensely so far.

And she is not stupid evil, which I like a lot. I normally run evil parties but I don't like evil npcs to be caricatures. Hexxat as she is in the game is subtly manipulative and self serving (so far. I am still some way from the end of her quest) as a really interesting evil party member should be IMO.

Good job devs!
    jankiel
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Having a character be a lesbian isn't "poor execution."
    It could be if it was accidental
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If i'm not wrong Hexxat was meant to be bisexual, not lesbian.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Damn you @ajwz that's actually a good point. ;)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @kamuizin I agree that there should be a little more reactivity in Bodhi's Enclave, definitely. It was something I wanted to add, but we had only so much development time, and I had to make some choices about where we focused our efforts.

Hexxat is incredibly careful about concealing her vampirism, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for there to be too much reactivity to it. *More* reactivity is something I definitely want to look at in future patches, though. :)
    SpaceInvaderJuliusBorisovAstafasbooinyoureyes
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Akihiko said:

Damn you @ajwz that's actually a good point. ;)

For all we know, the writers could have been trying for an Aasimar dentist
    Akihiko
  • What's ironic about this whole thing is that I used to see tons of threads when BG2 was first released that complained about the LACK of a pure thief. Also, she's the only evil thief available, which I think is something else folks used to ask for. Personally, I like having a pure thief. Removing traps and unlocking stuff is a core part of the game, and I like having someone who can do it well before level 20+ without hanging every thief boosting item on them (or ignoring other fun abilities like Detect Illusion).

Also, as several people have mentioned, Hexxat's stats make her quite dangerous with a good old-fashioned pre-emptive backstab. That pesky mage who ALWAYS starts combat by triggering Protection from Magical Weapons, Protection from Normal Missiles, and Spell Turning, then starts taking you apart while he's effectively invulnerable? Have a thief backstab him and watch the chunky goodness! Especially effective in the 'adventuring group' encounters, where it may be hard to get to the mage after combat starts and he buffs his party members to make them even more dangerous. Even if that's the only blow the thief lands that fight, the tactical advantage is significant.
  • kamuizin said:

By the way, the level of non interaction between NPCs and Hexxat is insane. No one care about her, i enter the temple of helm and the watchful eyes of Helm and his followers doesn't detect a vampire amidst them... Keldorn doesn't react to Hexxat unless he enters the party, among thousand of other NPCs that simple don't care about a vampire walking at their side. The pinacle of this insanity is the lack of references in Bodhi's Enclave to Hexxat.

@LiamEster i know you already have a lot of complains about hexxat in hand, but can't a future update include some integration for Hexxat with the environment?

Depending on how this is implemented, it could severely limit the character's usefulness. It would be logical to have NPC paladins, clerics of Helm, etc. have a hostile reaction to her, but then you can't complete any of the content in areas where she's persona non grata. Not to mention the Shadow Thieves - shouldn't they consider Hexxat as KoS due to their war with others of her kind?
  • darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad I found this thread. I was wanting to try out Hexxat because I couldnt tell what alignment she was with just the description either at BG2's main webpage, BG2's launcher or her plea for help.

Nalia confronted me first, and I wanted to do her quest first then swing by and do Hexxat but if she is an evil aligned character and having me kill of a 'blank slated NPC' well maybe I will wait on that.

So I prefer a 'Neutral/Good' aligned party cast.....of the 4 new NPCs, did I over miss the description?? Was there an NPC that might be suited?

I did beat Shadows of Amn a few years back so thats a start. I havent beaten ToB at all so that is my goal this time.

But I too would like to be in on the crowd that says "I want a choice".

LOL perhaps a poll for this would be helpful??

PS. Of the 4 new NPCs; again...was there that might be appropriate for me that I over missed by information provided? I play a Good/Neutral Party Cast....mainly cause my main character is Paladin lol Thanks
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd recommend checking out Hexxat's quest, if only to see what happens for yourself and make an informed, in-character decision.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187

@enneract
    The "folks with the resources" made their decision already, and that's why Hexxat functions as she does. You're much better off betting on the modding community than hoping Overhaul changes the entire scenario they wrote.

Eh, its potential DLC fodder~
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    When my good party finally gets to all this--strangely enough I haven't actually *played* the game yet...at all--I will simply edit creatures and/or dialogs so that I get to keep Clara. Simple. Why should I wait for someone else to do it?
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    Do the shadow thieves acknowledge who or what Hexxat is if you side with them, can you side with them if you have Hexxat in your party?
    Taevik
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    imajasjam said:

Do the shadow thieves acknowledge who or what Hexxat is if you side with them, can you side with them if you have Hexxat in your party?
    Aran will refuse to help you unless you either
    1) kick her out
    2) pass a 16+ Charisma check
    3) pay 2,500 gold

The bribe isn't ideal, but it prevents players from being stuck with no faction.
    booinyoureyes
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    Jalily said:

imajasjam said:

Aran will refuse to help you unless you either
    1) kick her out
    2) pass a 16+ Charisma check
    3) pay 2,500 gold

The bribe isn't ideal, but it prevents players from being stuck with no faction.
    Reading the thread I was concerned that they wouldn't react at all to the fact that she was a Vampire.
    Taevikkamuizinbooinyoureyes
  • KumbaKumba Member Posts: 7
    LiamEsler said:

@kamuizin Hexxat was from conception to final release, always meant to be a lesbian. It was a very clearcut design decision. :)

@LiamEsler: Next, you guys just need to add a character that is "omnisexual", ala Captain Jack Harkness. That would make for some interesting character dialog...
  • EmmiEmmi Member Posts: 77
    enneract said:

Emmi said:

enneract said:

The alternative, though, of just a quick patch to let you keep Clara... pass.

An option to keep Clara would at least make it easier for modders to create banters, dialogues, even a romance for her. Quests would probably take more work, so all in all, a full fledged DLC would still be the BEST option here. Especially since I loved Clara's voice and it would be a shame to not get any more dialogue to hear.
    The existing voice work for Clara is inadequate, even if you are just considering her as a 'one day NPC'. Her command soundset would be inappropriate for someone who is no longer a thrall. I love the modding community, and they do great work - but this is a great opportunity for the folks with the resources to integrate the content fully to actually do that.
    Good point well made, I must say. Kind of a shame though. Well, still, a mod for Clara would be better than nothing. But you're right, the DLC path would be best.
    jankielQuartz

Having Hexxat non romanceble ruins the fun for me and many others. Such a small thing to piss off so many. Just take a look at the forum. Poor execution

LiamEsler said:

@kamuizin Hexxat was from conception to final release, always meant to be a lesbian. It was a very clearcut design decision. :)

This makes no sense. Did none of you understand that a large part of your customer base would get pissed off?

A shiny new female thief with a romance...lets limit it...

The comments and topics have been ruthless in turn.

A comapny lives and dies with its customers satisfaction.

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Having Hexxat non romanceble ruins the fun for me and many others. Such a small thing to piss off so many. Just take a look at the forum. Poor execution

I'm not mad. My only Male Pc at this point is an Undead Hunter and if Hexxat was to romance him I don't see it working out too well. I mean she's a vampire and thats a creature he's trained his whole life to legitimately hate and kill. It would have never work out. Although I'm anxious to see her romance via female pc, but I don't want to start a new game.
    That is all good and well and with you many dont care about it. But many do care and that is why it makes no sense.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    So you want her to be bi? Hetro?
This discussion has been closed.