Skip to content

Hotfixes, workarounds, and how to activate the console

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
While we're working on the next patch, here are workarounds for some of the issues that have been found. To use most of these, you must first activate debug mode by ensuring that your Baldur.ini file (located in Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition) contains this line:
'Program Options',	'Debug Mode',	'1',
To open the console in the game, press Ctrl+Space.[spoiler=If the console still doesn't appear]It might be because you have multiple languages enabled. To disable it on Windows, right-click the EN (or whatever the language is) on your toolbar and choose Settings. See these links for further details:

Windows XP
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/179119/how-to-prevent-windows-xp-from-stealing-my-input-ctrl-space-which-is-meant-for-e

Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/8305-ctrl-space-not-working.html[/spoiler]

Dorn Issues

Problem: After teleporting you into the Radiant Heart building, Dorn repeats his selection sounds nonstop.
Put your cursor over Dorn and enter this:
C:SetGlobal("ohd_wedding_impatient","locals",4)
Problem: True Sight doesn't work for a certain part of Dorn's quest.
Use the wand from the same map.

Hexxat Issues

Problem: Hexxat's first lovetalk is taking forever to start.
C:SetGlobal("HexxatLovetalksTimer","GLOBAL",1) 
The first talk is meant to fire 90 real-time minutes after you recruit her. Your PC must be female, and you must not be in a dungeon area or Chapter 5.

Problem: Hexxat is stuck as a mist.
Kick her out of your party and then reaccept her.

Problem: I lost Dragomir's Cloak.
C:CreateItem("ohhcloak")
Problem: I can't drop the casque.
Place the contents of ohhcasq.zip (see attachment) into your Override folder.

Problem: Viconia's interjection loops when you encounter a weaver.
C:SetGlobal("OHD_ritual_interjects","GLOBAL",2)

Neera Issues

Neera, Aerie, or Jan keeps saying a line that refers to Hexxat's ToB quest.
Unzip the contents of NeeraAerieJan.zip (see attachment) into your Override folder, then speak to the affected character in case they have anything else to say.

Neera's extra banter with a Wild Mage protagonist never fires.
Unzip the contents of bneera.zip (see attachment) into your Override folder. If you meet the conditions* and don't want to wait, you can see the talk by pressing Ctrl+I.

* You're a Wild Mage, you're in SoA but not Chapter 5 or a dungeon area, it's been at least five days since Neera joined, Neera's quest is not in progress, and neither of you have a condition that prevents speech.

Rasaad Issues

Effects persist on your characters at the end of Rasaad's ToB quest.
Use Dispel Magic or put your cursor over your characters and press Ctrl+R.

The ending dialogue for the wheel won't trigger.
Make sure you're a good distance away from the portal when using the wheel.

Other Issues

Problem: After exiting the Underdark, attempting to open a character's Inventory or Record page crashes the game.
Drop all drow equipment before leaving the Underdark. If you don't have a prior save, kill and resurrect any party member who may have such items.

Problem: Malaaq the genie doesn't spawn in Irenicus's dungeon.
To get the sword he could have given you, enter this:
C:CreateItem("sw2h16")
Problem: Watcher's Keep isn't showing up on the map.
C:MoveToArea("AR3000")
You can find other area codes here: http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/appendices/area_lists/bg2aref.htm

Problem: The Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest isn't starting.
Scenario 1: The Gaal disturbance happened, but your temple contact didn't ask for help.

Make sure you are in the Temple District exterior and enter this:
C:GetGlobal("GaalSpoke","AR0900")
A value of 2 means they are believed to have asked for help. Resetting it to 1 should cause them to turn up and talk to you:
C:SetGlobal("GaalSpoke","AR0900",1)
Scenario 2: Your temple contact asked for help but hasn't turned up at the temple.

If you're good, enter the temple of Lathander and use
C:CreateCreature("bharval")
If you're neutral, enter the temple of Helm and use
C:CreateCreature("bhoisig")
If you're evil, enter the temple of Talos and use
C:CreateCreature("bhnalla")
Problem: Minsc's low-HP dialogue loops.
Unzip the contents of MINSCJ.zip (see attachment) into your Override folder.

Problem: [iPad] The stairwell force field in Yaga-Shura's lair isn't completely removed after you use the device in the center of the room.
Tap the top of the steps, near the room exit, to walk over the blocked area.

The following issues were fixed in patch 1.2.2030: [spoiler]Problem: NPCs won't stop commenting about the Underdark.
C:SetGlobal("OH_UnderdarkComments","GLOBAL",2)
Problem: Dorn keeps initiating the sparring conversation.
Put your cursor over Dorn and enter this:
C:SetGlobal("ohd_sparring","locals",2)
[/spoiler]
Post edited by Jalily on
TsyrithmungomunkPaulgmlneveseFlashburnJuliusBorisovDawglicioussunset00MoiraelminsterJTMTroodon80CrevsDaakMetalloman

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I guess this means that there is still a good wait for the patch? Should I expect it sometime this week at the very least? I was hoping it would be out soon so I could start playing without everything disappearing :(
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    I would expect in a huge game like this any patch is going to take awhile to test to make sure it doesn't end up breaking something else, but I could be wrong.
    Paulg
    Jalily said:

Don't draw any conclusions from this. I posted it so I wouldn't have to keep typing the same thing over and over in various threads. ;)

Well that sounds good :)
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    edited November 2013
    You may also want to add the move to area code for the Order of the Radiant Heart (AR0903) since currently the game locks you out of it once you initiate Dorn's first quest. I assume this is because there was a second location using the same map, but with different NPCs, and the game never resets the area transition back to the original Order of the Radiant Heart map following the wedding.

(This is mainly important for anyone who needs to pick up Keldorn again or is having Anomen take his test.)
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    This could as well be an intended behavior; in RPG, you often have to deal with consequences of your actions,
    and Dorn's quest surely is a great deal to the Order of the Radiant Heart.
    Admiral_Thrawn
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I would agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that it likely breaks Anomen's test. Since the old area still exists in the game and is fully populated by the Radiant Heart members, I am more inclined to place this issue in bug territory.
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    Jalily said:

This is working, but unfortunately not the area I need, which is all of them. Is there a list with area codes somewhere?

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823

Jalily said:

This is working, but unfortunately not the area I need, which is all of them. Is there a list with area codes somewhere?

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/appendices/area_lists/bg2aref.htm
    DisgruntlerCrevsDaak
  • AkachiAkachi Member Posts: 38
    Is there a code for the Slayer ability dream? I got two of them, where I attack party members,, but the one where I learn to control it is not happenning.

• PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    well thanks for the work around, i figued out most of those already, but nice to know how to fix others if/ when they pop up.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks, @Jalily ;)

When it's supposed to start, BTW? After her first items quest or after joining the party (after Dragomir's tomb)?
    How can I understand her first lovetalk isn't starting? Does her first lovetalk depend anyhow on Anomen being in the party too and already doing some lovetalking?
    lolien
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    bengoshi said:

When it's supposed to start, BTW? After her first items quest or after joining the party (after Dragomir's tomb)?
    How can I understand her first lovetalk isn't starting? Does her first lovetalk depend anyhow on Anomen being in the party too and already doing some lovetalking?

About 90 real-time minutes after you recruit her. You can check progress with
    C:GetGlobal("HexxatLovetalks","GLOBAL")
    It increments twice for every lovetalk.
    JuliusBorisovPaulgCrevsDaak
    i guess i should ask @jalily this:

will the patch require a game restart to take effect? i REALLY want to play this game, and it shouldn't be too bad anyway if I just manage to play without dying. however if it requires a new game then I must wait because I want these fixes.

considering there was no announcement yet today i though i would ask. I REALLY wish you would put out multiple smaller patches and get fixes out faster than try to fix everything in one patch. the wait is killing me! :)
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Nice effort.. thx Jalily.

I will wait for the next patch for sure though.. that + the waited easy fixes for portraits/sounds/HPs(dual classes/familiar) bg1ee imports, save problems with spells like spirit armor (&warcries, other abilities with countdowns, etc), save crashes.. a few glitch with npcs appareances too here & there apparently..proficiency mastery+++++, cernd greter werewolf form too maybe (not improved/fixed /original BG2 that one, too^), just for the easiness of that all. But that's a nice first & reactive quick step, thx.. ^
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2013

will the patch require a game restart to take effect?

For most of the fixes, no. But in some cases, if you've already encountered the problem (like save corruption), you'll need a new game to benefit from the patch.
    Post edited by Jalily on
    ChildofBhaal599PaulgCantab
  • MercadorMercador Member Posts: 4
    It's good to know that the old cheats still work. I had a game crashing save bug during Hexxat's tomb quest that reset a large majority of global variables for incomplete quests in the chapter, resetting all of the NPCs, the NameRomance variables, and all the map exploration variables. I lost Nalia's quest line after I had removed her from the party to make room for Hexxat, and she went to the D'arnise Hold map. Since she's a PC and not an NPC, her position wasn't repopulated at the Copper Coronet. Long story short, I'm muddling through the global variable resets, patching things up that are missing, and soon, going to use the Teleport command on the dev console to get myself to that map. Just gotta remember the area code for the De'arnise hold. These bugs are proving to be quite a setback, but nothing a veteran of the BG universe can't fix with the right resources. Keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll get these issues hammered out.
    Paulg
  • VadrielVadriel Member Posts: 20
    I don't have at the moment to search and see if this has been posted already, but is there a workaround for the Jaheira quest loop? She's disappeared from my party twice now after leaving the letter and returned to the harper hold. No enemies in sight of course, since I killed them all already.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just an piece of advice, the transferible items from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2, as Bala's Axe (in the place of chaos sword) aren't working, i believe the EE version of BG2 didn't recognize transferible items during imports of characters or games.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013
    kamuizin said:

Just an piece of advice, the transferible items from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2, as Bala's Axe (in the place of chaos sword) aren't working, i believe the EE version of BG2 didn't recognize transferible items during imports of characters or games.

You must be thinking of some mod, because Sword of Chaos has always been the item you got from the djinni.
    MercadorCrevsDaak
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2013
    "It's good to know that the old cheats still work". Wow, i couldn't see that coming, with all this bashing, pseudo-puritanism, and delusional confusion about what is cheating and what not. Tsk, tsk. Happy for cheats, sad for glitches and exlpoits. Heheh, no one wants the placebo (glitches), everyone is happy with the hard drug (cheats).

There is one real/moral use though for the console in BG2, if a certain problem persists in the EE. Solaufein, in Underdark. In the original, many times, his speech would stuck and story wouldn't progress. There was a console command workaround.

As for the Sword of chaos, it is merely +2, unable to regain its properties of old at the hands of Sarevok because now he is NOT a bhaalspawn anymore (lives only with a small soul fragment of a bhaalspawn, imoen's or us'), and the armor Sarevok wore and were treated as a set, does not exist in game items, as the dialogues in ToB heartlessly betray. Silver Sword and the Ravager are miles better, especially for Sarevok; if you do not know why, do not ask, follow blindly.
    I didn't mean anything by it, other than using it for overriding the glitches. I'm a bit puritanical myself. I never cheat on my first time through. When I wrote an old guide, I had to dip into every aspect of the game, and that required a rather liberal use of the CLUA Console cheats. The original BGII SOA and TOB had it's fair share of bugs too that required the Dev Console to fix, such as global variables running out, and an old glitch that occurred while transitioning from SOA to TOB where your party was split, just to name a few.

To be honest, it kind of pains me to have to enable the cheat console. I really didn't want to, but because of this, I have no other option.
    Messi said:

You must be thinking of some mod, because Sword of Chaos has always been the item you got from the djinni.

To the best of my knowledge, the only transferable item was the Golden Pantaloons, and they don't appear in your inventory on importation. ;)
    sunset00
    edited November 2013
    @kamuizin @Messi yes, the remark for Bala's axe was not totally dumb though.. as that was, i remember, evocated in an old thread here ( http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23191/items-possible-to-transfer-import-from-bg-ee-to-bg-2-ee - "The devs have said they want to look at enabling import 2, but have not said anything about it actually functioning, or how the list might be modified." etc..).. dealing with the possibility (or not) to implement the initial 'hidden list' of items (bala's axe, etc..indeed) that could replace the (un)famous saverok sword only choice so far (apparently, that was not implemented in the original BG2 we don't know why..but apparently, was always not in bg2ee so.. ok^)...

ps; edited: actually the remark was not for Mercador especially / import list2 *)
    Post edited by sunset00 on
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    edited November 2013
    While Hexxat has the item "Casque of Dragomir" and is then removed from the party, Casque of Dragonmir will be placed into the CHARNAME's inventory and will become irremovable like it was in Hexxat's. When she is added back into the party, the Casque of Dragomir can't be placed back into her inventory.
    dosentti666CrevsDaak
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    Mercador said:

Messi said:

To the best of my knowledge, the only transferable item was the Golden Pantaloons, and they don't appear in your inventory on importation. ;)
    Wrong. Golden Pantaloons was 1. The other items that could transfer, in original games that is, were:
    1) Ring or the Princes +1 (given from Sarevok, differently named ring of protection +1)
    2) Helm of Balduran (found in the Helm and Cloak inn in Baldur's Gate; you did not need to follow the questline, simply loot the stash, but this might have been corrected in 1EE)
    3) The two Kazgaroth items (from the wizard west of Bereghost)
    4) Some armors, most noticeably the Mail of the Dead +2.

There had been a priority to which one of those items were imported. You couldn't get them all, unless utilizing the keep items trick. Also, this priority had been in effect, if you freshly started 2, without importing anything. 1) Helm of Balduran (from irenicus' bedchamber) 2) Mail of the Dead +2 (from duergar captain).
    @ DeathKnight
    yes, exactly as described here ; http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm (normal mechanism - that one did not change). The question, at a time, was about a possible 'item 2 list' that could, if implemented, replace (far later in the game of course), the 'sword of chaos' by another previous bg1 item too (original BG1 team had not the time to implement that one though, apparently, even if they had thought about it..so the weird dialogue when you get the'chaos sword' (could be another one..like that bala's axe, precisely, among a few other possibly correct- nothing extravagant anyway)..the new team did not implement that, at least 'yet', too so..)...
    Thanks for point the old thread @Sunset00, it's exactly that. In that thread there's an link to an external source of miscellany items. This isn't a mod, it's vanilla, maybe it's just now aknowledge by some people, i believe that's in for @Messi and @Mercador
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    kamuizin said:

Thanks for point the old thread @Sunset00, it's exactly that. In that thread there's an link to an external source of miscellany items. This isn't a mod, it's vanilla, maybe it's just now aknowledge by some people, i believe that's in for @Messi and @Mercador

Yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with Bala's Axe. That item has never been importable outside mods. You can import one item from each of the lists @sunset00 linked, and Golden Pantaloons. One of the items will be on Illyich the Duerger, and the other in Irenicus' bedroom.

As I said the djinni has always given the Sword of Chaos. I also know that at some point there was supposed to be 3rd import item given by that djinni, but that was never implemented. At this point, where there is at least one very popular mod that actual expects you to get that sword, it would be kinda silly to start changing the behaviour in favor of some other BG1 you quickly replace.
    Well, in fact @CamDawg already made an statement about this issue @Messi, it's here. Bala's axe is into an inactive import list that would modify the item obtained with the Djinn in the plane of air inside irenicus dungeon.

As you said, it's an 3° import, in fact it's there, it's only inacitve for the time being.