Skip to content

Clara DLC/Patch. Spoilers inside.

Comments

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    edited November 2013
    So apparently we aren't allowed to like something without a truck of reasons as to why. So here's all of my reasons for wanting Clara back:

She's hot.
    booinyoureyes
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited November 2013
    Zanian said:

So apparently we aren't allowed to like something without a truck of reasons as to why. So here's all of my reasons for wanting Clara back:

She's hot.

I like Hexxat better but if I'd have prefered Clara I'd have changed Hexxat's portrait in EEKeeper.
    Post edited by Fredjo on
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    If they do bring her back, I don't think she should be a thief. It's pretty clear that her thieving abilities come from Hexxat. I think she'd probably be a caster - could justify increasing her stats a bit, saying her mind was dampened by Hexxat's control. There are already a bajillion mages in the game, so maybe Sorcerer. Or I guess you could say her wisdom was dampened, too, and make her a divine caster.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Her background heavily suggests thief or bard though.

I have difficulty seeing any other alternatives.

Bard would be good, there's too few of those, but on the other hand - A thief is so much more useful.
    booinyoureyesLoReN_LK
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @Zanian
    I have another reasons. Hexxat dubbing is terrible.
    First, it's not a nice voice, and second her voice-over artist does not know how to express emotions.

Although it appears that Clara is on valium, she still have better vioce then Hexxat.
    Disgruntler
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    @Edvin I disagree. Clara almost annoyed me enough to drop the quest, but I was curious who was mind controlling her (it was pretty obvious if you've done the genre before). Her portrait is cute, but I don't find her as attractive as Hexxat, and her mind-control voice was downright irritating. Yes, I'm sure she would be fine if she wasn't under a strange influence, but I just don't agree that Clara's voice is in any way preferable to Hexxat's.

When I found Hexxat, it all became worthwhile. My chaotic neutral jester didn't kill Hexxat because 1.) she found her strangely compelling (it didn't hurt that she's beautiful and has a sexy voice), and 2.) she has terrible Wisdom and therefore makes questionable choices sometimes, like letting a vampire join her group.

We aren't going to arrive at truth with a capital T here because these are both our opinions, of course.
    booinyoureyesFredjo
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I think the whole point of the scene is to show the good aligned people that they can't save everyone. I think its realistic to say the least.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the option to try to save Clara, even if the option to try ends in complete failure.
    booinyoureyes
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Zanian said:

She's hot.
    Well, look, there are plenty of feature requests already, and I'm sure a number of them are for new NPCs. It's unlikely that Overhaul will be able to implement all of them, or even most of them. If someone seriously wants something to be implemented, it behooves that person to provide a compelling reason to do so.
    SapphireIce101
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    MAN. This topic. Is like on every thread.

People on both sides make such good points too, I've flip flopped more than John Kerry playing soccer with Ashley Young at a beach bar.

It may cheapen the impact of the Hexxat entrance, but making it a choice may not be so bad. But I dunno... maybe its best left to modders.
    SapphireIce101TJ_Hooker
  • LoReN_LKLoReN_LK Member Posts: 20
    They could compromise. They could make a little more BELIEVABLE, like, Charname doesn't just stand there seeing a party member be slaughter by some random person. They should make a barrier that only Clara could pass and just after she's dead, the barrier would go down and the players interacted with the real Hexxat, then they could take Clara's body to the Amaunator temple and could resurrect her. However, Clara would run from or attack the players if Hexxat were in the party, after all, that was the woman who killed her. So, the players would choose between them both, they could not be in the same party.
    This could work easily and would not undermine Hexxat's appearance. If the players wanted Clara dead, just don't bring her body back to the temple, if they wanted her alive, bring her back.
    It would really be awesome if she could be a romanceable NPC for good/neutral females(although I have no problem in making her swing both ways), since Dorn and Hexxat are all evil. It would be different and refreshing, at least in my perspective.

Now, I think keeping her as a Bard or a Thief would be more appropriated, since we only have one Bard in the game and no single class thief with a good alignment(dual class really doesn't count, since they won't learn any high level abilities anyway).
    booinyoureyes
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that this poll is written like asking "do you want some free ice cream?". There are limited development resources available, so the question is not whether or not you want "Clara DLC". The real question is do you want "Clara DLC", or do you want the developers spend that time making eg. a new NPC barbarian.
    TJ_Hooker
  • yaballayaballa Member Posts: 41
    Since Hexxat was falsely marketed I even contemplated making a refund. But that would be like giving up on Clara the Cool Companion. I believe that the developers will hear our voices here and bring Clara back in a patch (just like they did with Baeloth).
    LoReN_LK
    Messi said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that this poll is written like asking "do you want some free ice cream?". There are limited development resources available, so the question is not whether or not you want "Clara DLC". The real question is do you want "Clara DLC", or do you want the developers spend that time making eg. a new NPC barbarian.

Like I said in the OP, the dev's priorities is not what we're discussing.
    Even -if- they decided to make Clara a proper NPC, it doesn't mean they'll pool a lot of resources towards it. Could take months for that to happen, while they're working on more pressing matters such as bugs or finishing content they've already started on.

The question that remains however, is if the EE community -wants- to see Clara as a proper npc from the Devs.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that I would indeed like to see her as such, but if the price to pay for that is losing out on other npc's or major content, then of course it could be a different case.

As it stands though, we have no knowledge of what the Dev's have in mind for future content and there's no telling wether it's something we'll appreciate or not. I do however know that I'd really appreciate a proper Clara npc.
    booinyoureyes
    I agree that Hexxat was falsely marketed, that was one of the things that annoyed me most(this sooo reminded me of Mass Effect 3 ending), but they did it for the twist, and worked to make her appearance, although it didn't have the results that they expected from the fans.
    I really hope they give us something.

Now, I rather they spend the time working on Clara, since they already have the portrait, some story and could easily work on this. Making another character and completely ignore the "Clara/Hexxat issue" would only leave a huge gaping hole in a quest that no good aligned character would accept and everyone that wanted her back would be very wary of another NPC, since they would expect to be dissapointed again.

"Oh, but they would be very excited with this X character! It would have anything they were claiming! It will be a good thief/bard/whatever and will be romanceable! They won't need Clara because this new character will be everything", well, if this is the case, them all the more reasonable to bring Clara instead of another NPC, because this new npc would be the expectations of fans over Clara and just a carbon-copy of said character. To be more clear: Any NPC that appears right now would be compared to Clara and the question will remain.
    yaballa
    edited November 2013
    You do have some points Loren, but the situation with Hexxat isn't really as dire as you say. At least I haven't caught it anyway.
    I think the community in general are quite pleased with Hexxat and how that character was introduced to us.

On the other edge of that sword however, are all of those who'd either prefer Clara over Hexxat or the possiblity to keep Clara around, and this is where I agree with you. If they add new NPC's down the line, they will quite probably be unfairly compared to the idea of Clara.
    While this probably won't be a dealbreaking issue for anyone, it'll probably persist for a long time.
    Exactly. The fans won't stop playing because of this(I will not, I only ignore the quest when it appears), they would compare them both and would damage the development of other things.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    As I said before, they *could* make a Clara DLC where you take her body, purify and revive her and have a subpar thief. Why not? Then everyone can realize how disappointed they are with Clara when she's not so mysterious and unattainable, and perhaps realize that she worked better as a doomed character of minor importance.

I expect that if there's such a push from the community, modders will make the Clara mod. That should appeal to folks who really, really want Clara but leave it as something to ignore for folks like me.

On a side note, does anyone else think the "Ask Hexxat Anything" thread built up an attachment to Clara's portrait? Most of what little fondness I have for Clara is associated with that thread and the infinite unknown potential of what her character could be.
    SapphireIce101
    edited November 2013
    @LordRumfish - There is already a Clara mod in development.

Yes, I believe the 'Ask Hexxat Anything' thread built up an attachment to Clara's portrait.

I fully believe that Clara isn't as awesome, or epic, as people believe she is, or want to believe she is. I mean, the only epic thing to ever happen in Clara's life was being dominated by Hexxat.

I think people are trying to make something out of nothing, and in the end they're just going to get more hurt when they realize that Clara isn't as cool, awesome, or epic as they thought she would be. I believe people are just opening themselves up for more disappointment.
    LordRumfishMessigeekfatigue
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    yaballa said:

Since Hexxat was falsely marketed I even contemplated making a refund. But that would be like giving up on Clara the Cool Companion. I believe that the developers will hear our voices here and bring Clara back in a patch (just like they did with Baeloth).

I think they should re-make Psycho with Marion as the main character, while we're at it.
    booinyoureyes
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    Messi said:

That's why DLCs are paid content.

Look, no one's asking for free handouts; we all want a Clara NPC, and most of us would be ok with paying a bit extra for her. In all honesty, running a game studio is a major PITA, as funds are always scarce and devs burn through cash like Khajit through skooma (not their fault though, game development is prohibitively expensive), which is why we, the fans/customers, need to support them so they can put food on their tables and continue to work on expanding and improving the game.

I keep saying this over and over and over again; Overhaul, please, for the love of Bhodi's black heart, make a Clara DLC, and charge a couple of bucks for it. People will *buy* it! If these forums are anything to go by, the demand is undoubtedly there. There's no need to get the original voice actress either - just make the entire DLC text-based (Clara already has a voice set, and the rest of her DLC could be text-only).

Modders used to make 1-day companions. Granted, those were shallow and the bare-bone minimum, but still, if some random modder can pull that off, then one of the Overhaul devs could probably cook up a non-voiced, text-heavy Clara DLC over the weekend. Professional fiction authors can crank out upwards of 10k words in a day (and that's not even considered 'fast' in the industry), so there's no reason why one of your guys can't assemble a paltry, 5k-word companion over the span of an entire week.

And there's no need to stop there. I honestly believe Overhaul is missing out on a moderately large stream of revenue by not releasing a new companion on a weekly basis. The demand for new content is *staggering*, and what better way to capitalize on that than by milking the text-train for all it's worth? Honestly, text is the cheapest and quickest way to generate content, as it doesn't require modeling new assets or recording expensive VO. And the BG series is all about text and role playing. I feel like Overhaul has a golden goose, and nobody in the office knows what to do with it! :P

You know the line from that movie with Kevin Costner?

Well, Overhaul, if you build it, they will buy... :D
    yaballaLoReN_LKEdvinkillerrabbit
    @Madhax I know we're talking about a computer game here but I'm 30 years old. If my posts are too serious for you, just ignore me -don't try to troll me.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I thought it was a relevant comparison, though perhaps I could have been more polite about it. Some characters, no matter how much some or all of their audience love them, are created to die.
    How exactly was Hexxat falsely marketed? I didn't really pay much attention to the promotional stuff during the leadup to launch.
    @TJ_Hooker The screenshots (and possibly video) on the website showed Clara's portrait, and not Hexxat's.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    LoReN_LK said:

I agree that Hexxat was falsely marketed, that was one of the things that annoyed me most(this sooo reminded me of Mass Effect 3 ending), but they did it for the twist, and worked to make her appearance, although it didn't have the results that they expected from the fans.
    I really hope they give us something.

Now, I rather they spend the time working on Clara, since they already have the portrait, some story and could easily work on this. Making another character and completely ignore the "Clara/Hexxat issue" would only leave a huge gaping hole in a quest that no good aligned character would accept and everyone that wanted her back would be very wary of another NPC, since they would expect to be dissapointed again.

"Oh, but they would be very excited with this X character! It would have anything they were claiming! It will be a good thief/bard/whatever and will be romanceable! They won't need Clara because this new character will be everything", well, if this is the case, them all the more reasonable to bring Clara instead of another NPC, because this new npc would be the expectations of fans over Clara and just a carbon-copy of said character. To be more clear: Any NPC that appears right now would be compared to Clara and the question will remain.

There's no Clara/Hexxat issue, Clara was a piece of meat, pretty much like a chicken or pig. She was to be fed to Hexxat from the very beginning you meet her.

We only know she's a boring daughter of a farmer who had to begin stealing in order to stay alive, I wouldn't really consider that being a story.

I was thrilled to see her die because her mindless talk was really asking to be silenced and Hexxat was a very appreciated surprise.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited November 2013
    Fredjo said:

We only know she's a boring daughter of a farmer who had to begin stealing in order to stay alive, I wouldn't really consider that being a story.

That is "really" much worse story, than an orphan brought up by monks :D
    For example, Jan is a talkative turnip salesman who likes lying about... everything.

You dont need epic background to be epic NPC.
    yaballaLoReN_LKkillerrabbit
    edited November 2013
    Fredjo said:

I was thrilled to see her die because her mindless talk was really asking to be silenced and Hexxat was a very appreciated surprise.

"Clara was a piece of meat, pretty much like a chicken or pig" ?
    "thrilled to see her die" ?
    "really asking to be silenced" ?

Are you OK?
    LoReN_LKFredjo
    yaballa said:

@TJ_Hooker The screenshots (and possibly video) on the website showed Clara's portrait, and not Hexxat's.

Err, is that really a big deal? I mean, if they had provided a bunch of details about Clara and developed her character, I could see this being misleading. People would have got the impression (upon seeing the screenshots) that they would be able to play this character, only to discover that they cannot (and instead get a different character). As it is, we knew nothing about Clara (and next to nothing about Hexxat), so the only difference between the character we were expecting and the character we got is the portrait: a completely cosmetic issue.
    SapphireIce101LordRumfishMessi
    To Hexxat, Clara pretty much was a piece of meat. Heck, Charname is probably a piece of meat to Hexxat too.

Not everyone liked Clara, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are people that wanted, or were thrilled to see her die. I mean, there are some people in this forum that want Imoen to die, and basically kill her off at spellhold like she was supposed to be.

Uhm, her voice was starting to annoy me too. I mean, she is basically monotonous the whole time, even when she is begging for her life, which is understandable. I mean, she is being dominated by a vampire.

As for backstory. Jan the turnip salesman that tells awesome stories is about fifty times, if not one-hundred times, more amusing and interesting than Clara, the girl who failed at everything in life, got dominated by a vampire, and then died.

Like I said earlier, when it comes to Clara, I think people are just setting themselves up for more unnecessary disappointment. She isn't as awesome, epic, or cool as people believe or want to believe she is.

All that being said, just give her an option to be saved (Which is what most people want, heck some people want that savior attempt to end in failure, which is fine with me.), but don't make her a follower.