Skip to content

What was your worst defeat? (Survey #3)

Comments

• killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Werewolf island -- the PC helped the children, saved the village and then the village turned into werewolves and the PC slaughtered everyone he just saved. Total defeat. Had a similar feeling with the Hexxat and Melisan storylines -- not fond of 'you were a dupe and responsible for the death of innocents' plots.

• RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Abazigal turns me into mincemeat -- that fight always humbles me, and I've never been able to win it without cranking the difficulty to "easy" and cheesing it a bit. A close second would be that party of psychos in Watcher's Keep right before you get to the end -- that fight pretty much stretches my tactical abilities to their limits.

(And, of course, like everyone else, I've had some pretty cheesy deaths as well -- the gibberling that just happened to roll a lucky 20 at the worst possible moment, the number of times I didn't realize that I was fighting with my fists instead of my weapon, the times I didn't notice that I'd been level-drained to near oblivion by some creature, etc.)
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Well, Kangaxx learning was quite frustrating, so I would vote that as the worst defeat, it's just a frustrating fight without the proper gimmick.

Other than that, when I started playing BG2, I wanted to rush through the main story asap, I did very very few sidequests, only my main stronghold... ToB was really hard for me with my low levels and low knowledge of the game (I don't think I ever used stoneskin... or any defensive spell outside of mirror image lol)

Really, rushing through the game made the bigger fights so hard. No watcher's keep either. Gromnir was hard, sendai was really rough, draconis felt nearly impossible to me, although i got him in the end (I didn't use true sight back then..)

But the only enemy I couldn't defeat, frustrating enough, was melissan. Today when I complete the game, shes a complete pushover, one of the easier bosses (My last clear was hilarious, 4x greater whirwinds can kill her in almost 2rounds). But damn, her 3rd battle is ROUGH when youre underleveled, underequipped and have low knowledge of the game. The 3rd battle starts with the 4 shadow slayers, she ports away and summons more... It felt like I couldn't hack through them fast enough to get back to her. The leveldrains were too much and i eventually stopped there, hopeless. I came back to the fight a few months ago in a fresh game where i had cleared everything, had all the good gear, and was sporting my lvl34 cleric instead of my older one who was more like lvl23-25?

It's funny that I'm talking about this, because I made myself a challange to recreate the scenario in which I coudln't beat melissan. Cleric of lathander, with the first npcs i meet (Yoshimo>Imoen, minsc jaheira aerie keldorn). I think i'm rushing through the game more than I did when i first played, but it's definitely much harder than playing the game the way I do it normally... especially when you start off right away by going into the cleric questline.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    The most memorable defeat is losing to the single Yuan-Ti mage at the De'Arnise Keep. In my first bg2 game, I had NO IDEA how spells work and the only spells I used was Magic Missile and Cure Light/Medium Wounds. The Yuan-Ti always succeeded in confusing/charming my party members. In a few rounds, I watched in agony as my confused/charmed party members were butchering each other. After this encounter, I learned the forbidden arts of Cltr+R and Cltr+Y.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    My most embarrasing was during Rasaad's quest in ToB

There is this moment when you approach the Lumber Camp and one dwarf warns you that it's a trap. Then there are some soldiers approaching. So I, full of confidence, take my epic level main char (fighter 7/cleric 30+) and start the fight...only to be slaughtered by immense barrage of arrows. Seriously, as a reference to Order of the Stick, I contemplated renaming him to 'Pinata'. The funny thing is that the fight was ultra-easy when I cast the mirror spell which deflected all projectiles.

Still, I felt dirty.

Also, during SoA I always try to avoid Umber Hulks when I don't have Death Spell at hand.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Lathlaer said:

Also, during SoA I always try to avoid Umber Hulks when I don't have Death Spell at hand.

@Lathlaer
    Really? Do u play on insane or something? They were a bit tricky when I first met them in the D'Arnise Keep, but nothing a classic Web+AoE can't handle. Once u got Chaotic Commands, they are pretty much just sword/bow fodder.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    I used Spell Immunity: Enchantment in my ultra-tweaked (by me) vanilla, but in BG2:EE I think a quick Fireball after an another Fireball, with a character with Fire Resistance over 100 will do fine, unless, you have Lirlacor and slay 'em to death.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    @Heindrich1988
    It's not that I can't handle them, because I can. It's that fight with them tends to be a bit tedious and to be clear - I mean those Umbers which you meet as a surprise when you sleep, not those in the Keep which you can kill quite easily. Casting Chaotic Commands when their balls of Chaos are already in the air is a bit pointless. Still they tend to hit a bit hard depending on the game stage.

And yes, I could web them or cloudkill them. But I don't like the mess the web or cloudkill leave behind them. I have to wait for them to finish, I can't save, I can't sleep, I have to move to other places (in case of cloudkill). So basically - not fun :D

Considering I only sleep when I absolutely have to, it's easier to reload than to fight them with drained resources.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Lathlaer
    Ah I see... I had 3 clerics/druids in my party. (Aerie, Anomen and Jaheira). So I had Chaotic Commands protection for the whole party pretty much permanently by the Underdark. I hate disabling spells.
  • srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    Taugosz khosann at the bandit camp. I decided to go rampage on the camp and after slashing through Chill and Talon I finally reach this guy. My frontliners take a bit of beating so I decide to have Jaheira cast entangle on him and I switch to bows. To my amazement although he is under the effect of the entangle he uproots the "branches" (or whatever) of the entangle spell and starts chasing my lads with the spell still around him. He killed everyone in the end.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    The first time I ever reached the end of ToB, the boss cast Time Stop, then proceeded to physically attack my main character until he died. Lamest, most boring defeat ever.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    My first time running into the end-room of the Firewine Ruins. "Whoops! :3!" "WSSSHHH"
  • nietzschelivesnietzschelives Member Posts: 36
    Tactics. I resolved the issue by uninstalling that monster.

More seriously though... I would have to go with Draconis. That guy gave me fits my first playthrough of TOB. I simply could not find a way to beat him, so I just left, went and completed Watcher's Keep (which I had not done as yet) and then went after Sendai. When I returned to fight Draconis, he was a total pushover.

It should be noted that I was playing a new TOB game (not from SOA). I know... Heresy. As a result, I was sorely lacking in magical equipment, which Watcher's Keep provided in abundance.

Also Sarevok. Every time. There is no battle in the Baldur's Gate series that consistently challenges me every time the way that does. Depending on my party makeup, sometimes Irenicus is tough, sometimes Kangaxx is tough, sometimes Beholders or Mind Flayers etc... But Sarevok is ALWAYS crazy difficult.

Bizarrely, I've never found Aec'Letec challenging. Different strokes I guess.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    Watcher's Keep. second no magic room on insane, the one with the demons (AR 3004?). didn't have fear resistant equipment (not like there's too much of those), potions of clarity (if those even work there), or good enough saves... it was hell. solved by buttloads of summoning items, and using the portal multiple times to leave, heal up, and have a go at 'em once again. probably could have solved it by contingencies (if those even work there, sequencers sure as shit don't), but... eh.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Um... I used to die lots. But now?

Baldur's Gate is a learning curve.

I think the biggest learning you need to realise is
    Death of characters is not the end of the world, the death of CHARNAME is. If things get tough, don't matter your strategy, run away and let the rest of the party bite the dust, come back later after drinking all your potions and buffing yourself to highly polished shine...

I suppose my worst defeat that has not been mentioned here was wandering around looking for the bandit camp when I stumbled into a group of red wizards who promptly made all my team scarper in fear. The wizards themselves did little damage it was the spiders and traps that took my team out one at a time while I was helpless to watch... My necromancer somehow wandered to a corner and was unscathed. I left five bodies that day... Imoen, Khalid, Jaheria, Minsc and Dynahier. I did not return. Still completed it.
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    BG II, fighting Dark Moon Monks and their legion of random companions of all types of skills. That fight is way too tough for how early you can get to it.
  • unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107

nce.

Gold medal: The final battle with Sarevok in BG1. After at least two dozen replays over fifteen years, this is the battle that still fills me with ultimate dread. I don't think I've ever beaten it with the difficulty slider on Core. Semaj's tattoo, Angelo's arrows of detonation, Tazok, and Sarevok's haste with ability to rip through AC as though it were toilet paper. Two battle horrors if you don't find the pressure plates before all hell breaks loose.

Its definitely a tough battle, there are cheesy ways of winning it though which aren't as rewarding.

Thankfully i picked the best class for the final battle (Archer) and just Arrow of Detonation'd the hell out of everyone while hasting away from sarevok. He killed everyone in my party though (I believe it was only party of three though)
  • IselethIseleth Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    My most recent humiliating defeat happened at the end of Neera's quest in ToB.

I managed to defeat Vicross after a few reloads (I had some trouble at first because she went invisible, used time stop and cast nasty things; this time Neera timestopped her first). My party is a bit battered, but the quest is over, right?

So I looted everyone, leveled up a character, identified magic items. I didn't save.

I tolled the bell to be teleported back, and here comes Szass Tam. Wait, he's turning on me? I didn't save, did I? NOOOOO! (I really should have seen it coming)
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Nimbul. First time I played BG he must have wiped out my party at least a dozen times.

He still does from time to time. I RP now so I don't rest as soon as I step in the Nashkel mines and my party is weary and broken by the time we run into him-.-
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    My first major defeat was in ToB, which I played more of that SoA when I first got BG2 because I liked the higher level spells. I made it to Draconis with a minimum of skill and effort by throwing planetars at my enemies. When I reached him he obviously murdered my planetar with little effort and I was floored when he just wrecked it. I was mentally like, "No, no that's not what's supposed to happen!" as he killed us all. I tried to rework things, but that was the first fight I couldn't brute force down.

Nowadays my worst defeats are those were I watch my party helplessly running around due to status effects. Honestly, it's the mindflayers that you don't see coming that usually ruin me the worst. I think it the alhoon that you fight during one of Hexxat's quests that really gave me problems when I really tried.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    My first major defeat was in ToB, which I played more of that SoA when I first got BG2 because I liked the higher level spells. I made it to Draconis with a minimum of skill and effort by throwing planetars at my enemies. When I reached him he obviously murdered my planetar with little effort and I was floored when he just wrecked it. I was mentally like, "No, no that's not what's supposed to happen!" as he killed us all. I tried to rework things, but that was the first fight I couldn't brute force down.

Nowadays my worst defeats are those were I watch my party helplessly running around due to status effects. Honestly, it's the mindflayers that you don't see coming that usually ruin me the worst. I think it the alhoon that you fight during one of Hexxat's quests that really gave me problems when I really tried.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Aec'Letec. First time I played TotSC in years (probably over a decade) had a little bug, where the cultists didn't do anything during my fight with him. "Aha," thought I. "I am not an exploiter, I swear, but this tanar'ri is quite difficult as I don't have anything to protect me from death! I shall ignore his useless cultists and concentrate solely on him!"

Then Aec'Letec died, and all the cultists turned in to Aec'Letec's. And my party died horribly. It was very sad.

Ascension ToB is an evil fight that usually takes me a few reloads. I also can't count how many times I'm forgotten to turn off party AI and had one of my idiots slaughter poor Imoen when she's lost herself, which is truly most of my CHARNAME's greatest failure: not protecting little sis, and actually killing her. Owch.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    My worst defeat after not playing bg2 for about 10 years was when I was in spellhold just coming out of Bohdi's dungeon and figuring hey I can take Irenicus right now without the other inmates. BOOM one shot death spell on the whole party.

The second was exploring the underdark and walking into the southern tunnel entrance. Elder orb petrifies my main character. Game over.

I have forgotten so much.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Mythdracon

My level 10-11 party did that fight yesterday for over an hour to get my first victory. Granted, I have no mage atm due to RP reasons. Then after I defeated it I realized that a certain NPC had died. I spent another hour trying to save that NPC + get the outcome I wanted with Rasaad.