Skip to content

Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Mage who would win???

1235»

Comments

• DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    I ran through a few scenarios and the F/M won out with both. One with buffs the other without buffs. The only scenario that seems to win out against the F/M is the inquistor with the lvl +6 Corysmr. Dispel magic really did the trick but corysmr was the atom bomb in my research. Hence Inquistor is the only bane that a F/M has to deal with in special ways. The F/M only won out if he came with the contingencies and Time stop was good too but it's no garuntee that the inquisitor would die before that. His high saves prevent spells like finger of death and symbol stun. Also I forgot to mention that the celestial glory (katana +3) is a different blade that exploited the F/M.
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    ^ How does the inquisitor deal with Spell Immunity:Abjuration? Doesn't it block his dispel?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

I ran through a few scenarios and the F/M won out with both. One with buffs the other without buffs. The only scenario that seems to win out against the F/M is the inquistor with the lvl +6 Corysmr. Dispel magic really did the trick but corysmr was the atom bomb in my research. Hence Inquistor is the only bane that a F/M has to deal with in special ways. The F/M only won out if he came with the contingencies and Time stop was good too but it's no garuntee that the inquisitor would die before that. His high saves prevent spells like finger of death and symbol stun. Also I forgot to mention that the celestial glory (katana +3) is a different blade that exploited the F/M.

Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Protection from Magic Weapons are not what I would describe as "Special".
    SpaceInvader
    Pantalion said:

Spell Immunity: Abjuration and Protection from Magic Weapons are not what I would describe as "Special".
    I forgot about the spell immunity: Abjuration and Protection
    Is there anything stopping the celestial furry?
  • LarkusLarkus Member Posts: 54

Is there anything stopping the celestial fury?

Yes, there is: Protection from Magical Weapons, for example.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    A +6 weapon should not be stopped by PfMW and SI:A isn't supposed to protect against weapon dispels
    edited December 2013

A +6 weapon should not be stopped by PfMW and SI:A isn't supposed to protect against weapon dispels

Protection from Magical Weapon protects against all magical weapons, no matter the level of their enchantment. You seem to confuse PfMW with Absolute Immunity, Absolute Immunity does only protect against weapons of +5 or lower enchantment.

The point of SI:Abj is to protect your combat protections against Inquisitor Dispel. PfMW does protect well enough against Carsomyr's dispel, since PfMW prevents Carsomyr from hitting in the first place. No hit - no dispel.
    Post edited by Larkus on
    Larkus said:

Does it stop the effects of celestial furry though? The stun? You really don't have to hit the wizard for the effects of stun to sieze the wizard.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Larkus said:

Does it stop the effects of celestial furry though? The stun? You really don't have to hit the wizard for the effects of stun to sieze the wizard.
    Heheheh, celestial furry... quite a terrifying thought.

But you do have to hit the wizard, sorry. Though I don't think Celestial Fury would be much use in any case, a high level gnome F/I will never fail a save vs spell unless you debuff him first.
    jackjack
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    The stun hits but what's it going to do? Your not going to kill the fm before it wears off...
    kryptix said:

The stun hits but what's it going to do? Your not going to kill the fm before it wears off...

I would keep swinging and stunning him until his buffs wear off. Thats the thing with weapons with specials they keep on swinging with their special. Even if you don't do any actual damage it still applies it's special. The stun keeps going after hit after hit after hit.
    edited December 2013
    @Dreadnaught, @kryptix
    Protection from Magical Weapons prevents all magical weapons from hitting in the first place. No hit - no stun.

I suspect you think of Stone Skin. Stone Skin doesn't prevent Celestial Fury from hitting, it just prevents the (physical) weapon damage, but neither the electrical extra damage, nor the stun effect. Still, the mage can protect himself against Celestial Fury's stun. For example, as nano has pointed out, by having good enough saving throws vs. spell or by wearing one of the many items that grant Free Action.

@kryptix
    If the F/M does manage to get himself stunned, he is as good as dead.
    Post edited by Larkus on
    Dreadnaughtryuken87
    Larkus said:

@Dreadnaught, @kryptix
    Protection from Magical Weapons prevents all magical weapons from hitting in the first place. No hit - no stun.

I suspect you think of Stone Skin. Stone Skin doesn't prevent Celestial Fury from hitting, it just prevents the (physical) weapon damage, but neither the electrical extra damage, nor the stun effect. Still, the mage can protect himself against Celestial Fury's stun. For example, as nano has pointed out, by having good enough saving throws vs. spell or by wearing one of the many items that grant Free Action.

Aww perfect explanation thank you Larkus
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    Larkus said:

Inquisitor Dispel. PfMW does protect well enough against Carsomyr's dispel (which doesn't do anything much anyway, since it is capped at caster level 10), since PfMW prevents Carsomyr from hitting in the first place. No hit - no dispel.
    In BGEE carsomyrs dispel is level 30 according to the blades description.
    Not trying to nitpick, just inform.
    Dreadnaught
    @ReadingRambo

Thank you for the information, I corrected it.
    Dreadnaught
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited December 2013

Larkus said:

@Dreadnaught, @kryptix

Aww perfect explanation thank you Larkus
    This is why PfMW is easily one of the best spells in the game when you consider that any remotely powerful enemy counts as using magical weapons. Getting beat down by 30-40 damage hits from golems and fire giants? PfMW. Vampire draining your levels? PfMW. Mindflayer nibbling on your brain? PfMW, etc. On my first couple of playthroughs I completely overlooked it because of the 4 round duration but any longer and the game would be a complete cakewalk.

It's also why I think Carsomyr is slightly overrated, because most powerful casters protect themselves with PfMW.