Skip to content

#6568 [CORE] - Imported characters do not get Watcher's Keep marked on the worldmap

2»

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    And just to make sure we get as much visibility to this as possible:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24232/map-bug-watcher-s-keep

There's another thread with more discussion and debugging on this happening.
  • TaijibumTaijibum Member Posts: 1
    I imported a solo monk that did not end up showing Watcher's Keep on the world map. Then I imported the same monk again and immediately after talking to Imoen after the opening scene, I checked my world map and Watchers Keep was there. After exiting all the intro stuff I traveled there. I think it could be an issue of just checking to make sure it is there after the opening Jon Iranicus scene. It is really annoying since it is not showing up for my favorite character who has already done a bunch of quests.
  • PulpExposurePulpExposure Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue with the iPad version, unfortunately. Imported a character file, and noticed Watchers Keep isn't on my world map. In chapter 3 now. Since we can't access the console to fix this, this is a problem.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989

I have the same issue with the iPad version, unfortunately. Imported a character file, and noticed Watchers Keep isn't on my world map. In chapter 3 now. Since we can't access the console to fix this, this is a problem.

Same problem for me with iPad.
    A question. Once in TOB, will I be able to enter the watcher's keep?
    In that case I can wait.
    @Gate70 I could try, but it's not that easy.
    Before you can reach the TOB world map, you have to complete Saradush, but I will try.
    @Gate70
    You're right, I don't have to actually go there, I only have to see if the map is available :)
    I'll try this evening.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    Gate70 said:

When you are in the Talking Heads area open up the map.

@Gate70 here we have David Byrne :)
    And here we have Watcher's Keep :)
    edited January 2014
    I can confirm that.
    Importing the same charcter file that doesn't have watcher's keep in SOA, in TOB I see the keep.
    I believe @Gate70 should have more promote.
  • MercadanteMercadante Member Posts: 3
    I think I've figured out when this bug happens or not. Based on my testing, it has nothing to do with import vs new character creation or single vs multi.

This bug happens every single time when i quit an ongoing game session (but without exitting BG2EE entirely) then create a new game.

If instead you exit BG2EE completely, then relaunch it before creating your new game, Watcher's Keep will be on your map.

I've tried with different save files, saved games, and new character creations, and no exceptions so far to this rule. This also explains why some people say they've inconsistently encountered this bug importing the same file. It depends on whether they had, for example, loaded a game, then quit, then created new game, versus creating game right after launching.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Has anyone come up with a fix for this yet? I tried the WKREVEAL trick and it didn't work.
    edited May 2014
    @Kennis‌ unzip and drop this file in your Scripts folder in the same directory as the CHITIN.KEY, open the game, load your save, select one of your characters and go to the Record Screen, select Customize and then Script, scroll down and select the CUSTOM(7CWKFIX) script, select Done, go to the Game Screen, select that character and press the letter "K".

Edit: forgot to attach the script added it to a link in the first sentence :/
  • TiddlesTiddles Member Posts: 7
    @CrevsDaak‌ Sadly, this doesn't work for me. I guess it's probably doing RevealAreaOnMap("AR3000") which I have tried before. If you have a game that's already OK, you can use HideAreaOnMap and RevealAreaOnMap with the expected results of hiding/showing WK, but in a broken game, neither of these commands affects the presence or absence of the WK map icon, even though you see the "Your world map has been updated" text.
    Tiddles said:

CrevsDaak‌ Sadly, this doesn't work for me. I guess it's probably doing RevealAreaOnMap("AR3000") which I have tried before. If you have a game that's already OK, you can use HideAreaOnMap and RevealAreaOnMap with the expected results of hiding/showing WK, but in a broken game, neither of these commands affects the presence or absence of the WK map icon, even though you see the "Your world map has been updated" text.

so looks like the area in the map is bugged, congratulations to the misleading name (with of course lots of sarcasm), and to me for never seeing if this works (with sarcasm too).
    @Tiddles thanks for the catch, I'll see what I can do to make a script to fix this.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    You might want to confer with @Troodon80‌ as I think he manually fixed this for a couple of people and may be able to advise if a script can get the desired result.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Gate70 @CrevsDaak‌, from what I recall in this particular case, it cannot be added via a script. The method of adding Watcher's Keep was hardcoded from the original game, it was a way for the original developers to almost seamlessly merge a Shadows of Amn game with the expansion and update a saved game when transferring to Throne of Bhaal.

If it was not added at the time of the game creation, then it needs to be manually added. It usually takes me about ten minutes to recreate the world map and customise it to a pre-existing game that an individual uploads. That is, assuming it is not almost midnight.
    @Troodon80‌ is that via Near Infinity, opening the save plus a save of your own. Exporting yours. Importing it to theirs. Revealing the areas on the map via the console or NI.

I'd like to know and I suspect @CrevsDaak‌ might too.
  • DarkchanterDarkchanter Member Posts: 13
    I have this bug in one, and only one, of several games...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Darkchanter‌ If you upload your save file I could try to fix it using Troodon80's process.
  • OnonymOnonym Member Posts: 8
    I imported from a character file and got this bug also. So character files alone are not a protection.
    If you follow the steps above, or zip and attach a save so someone else can do so, that should get past the issue.

The cause appears to be starting a new character without shutting down & restarting the game so best advice until patched is to quit to desktop and restart the game before rolling/importing characters.
  • DarkchanterDarkchanter Member Posts: 13
    Thanks @Tresset, no need though, I just use the console to get there. Turns out it's a game that I started before the issue was patched.