Skip to content

EE Keeper via Wineskin in OS/X, initial tests

13»

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @mr_nameless, as I said in the other thread, EE Keeper does indeed look in the override folder.

Could you provide a link to the mod you are using (it saves me spending time looking up the mod, and then assuming it is the same version as you are using)? Also, could you provide the save game you are trying to edit?
  • mr_namelessmr_nameless Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2013
    It is the Wisp released partial Beta BGEE version 4.62 windows version of Rogue Rebalancing (I use EEkeeper via wineskin on OSX):
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/27169-rogue-rebalancing-v463-released/
    @mr_nameless, the spell browser recognises them.

Strings are probably a bit messed up since I'm working with other mods and uninstalling/reinstalling/etc.

Could you try archiving your saved game folder (e.g. 000000002-MySaveGame) and attach it to a post using the "Attach a file" link below the comment box? I cannot see what is happening on your end, and so I have no way to fix a problem unless I have your save game.

I cannot obviously vouch for the Mac version, however. Perhaps @mlnevese or someone else with a Mac could help in that regard, but I still can't do much without your save file.
    @Troodon80
    Here is the save file. I hope that helps.
    @mr_nameless, here is a quick screenshot of an edited and re-saved (as well as loaded in-game and saved as a Quick Save).

Note that this is not going to be the same version that you are using (it's the version I'm working on, just in case you might be wondering about the 'Proficiency' or the wider window). However, the code for reading files in the override folder has not been changed. I did change the Affects tab, so that proficiencies show up (they didn't before, and don't need to since proficiencies are added to the Proficiencies list (they are redundant in EE Keeper, and only really used for new characters or characters that have not yet been loaded in the game world)). The other affect, 0x00FB - Change Bard Song Effect, is still saved as it was, as well as the Innate spell.

I cannot see what the problem is, unfortunately, so I can only assume it is an operating system dependant problem.

I'll take another look at the code that reads from the override folder, see if I can't make it more cross-platform friendly. :)

Question: Could you use Wineskin if I gave you a new Windows build?
    edited October 2013
    @Troodon80
    Alright, it seems to be working now! I uninstalled all my mods, erased all saved games and got rid of the override folder. Installed again just Rogue Rebalancing and everything seems to be working fine with EEkeeper, the spells are there. Maybe a conflict with another mod?
    I had:

SCS
    RR
    Item Randomizer
    Archaic

I'll check back if I can find what happened.
    Thanks for your help trodden!
    @mr_nameless, if you could find out what happened, that would be great. :)
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Nifft said:

So, I tried this on a brand-new account, with no special setup, and EE Keeper worked fine. This works for me under 10.6, there are reports that it works on 10.8, and it might or might not work on other computers or OS/X versions.

Here's a link to the Wineskin enclosure for EE Keeper 1.0.0:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/grvxl821vza9rjn/EE_Keeper_Wineskin_osx10.6.tgz

Here's how to use it:
    - Download the file.
    - Put the file in your home directory: /Users/yourname/EE_Keeper_Wineskin_osx10.6.tgz
    - Open up Terminal.app, and type this:
    cd ~ tar xzvf EE_Keeper_Wineskin_osx10.6.tgz

Done. The application "BB Keeper.app" is placed in /Users/yourname/Applications/Wineskin/ so just open up a Finder window and double-click on it. The attached picture shows where it will be installed.

EDIT: Version number, now that there's a new release of EE Keeper.
    EDIT2: changed link to a hosting site with fewer obnoxious ads.

Hi Nifft,

Are these directions still accurate? I am trying to edit my shadowdancer to incorporate the latest changes and following the above directions returned a error trying to unzip the file on 10.6.8. Terminal tells me it doesn't recognize the tgz file although i know that is an accepted file format. I note that the filename is EE_Keeper_Wineskin_osx10-1.6.tgz (the -1 seems to be a sequential file numbering addition added on download so if i download it a second time it shows -2 instead) I tried editing your terminal command to correctly name the file and changing the name of the file to match your terminal command but neither solved the problem. I am not very experienced so i'm probably doing something stupid but if so at least it should be an easy fix. Thanks in advance if you can help or suggest another method of making the changes.

Changes i want to make are +5 skill points for levels 2-5 so +20 pts total and +10% to stealth skills. i don't think these were retroactively applied to shadowdancers created before the changes were implemented.

• QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Okay so i never got the wineskin enclosure created by @Nifft to work, but I'm leaving what i did in case it helps anyone else. I downloaded version 1.0.1 from here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-shadow-keeper-for-bg-ee-news-v1-0-2-and-other-stuff/p1

extracted the .rar file using a windows computer since i didn't know how to deal with that file type in Mac, then pointed Wine ver 1.5 to EEkeeper.exe. It opened and couldn't find BGEE when i pointed it to the file Nifft references in the first post of this thread (Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00777\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources\). i instead pointed it to the resources folder of the app under 00744 (i think that was the number it was the only other folder under Game data besides the 00777) and set the language and it opened up just fine. Thanks to Nifft for the work, now i can update my Shadowdancer with the correct stats if i can figure out how to add the +10% stealth skills. I am on 10.6 and bought BGEE from Beamdog.
    This is annoying. I still cannot get EEkeeper to read Rogue Rebalancing files in override when I have a couple of mods installed. Other mod's ITM, CRE, SPL files read fine.
    When I install just RR by itself then EEKeeper can read all the Override files. I don't get it. Is there a hard limit to the number of SPL files EEkeeper can read in Override to a certain syntax? ?
    Compared to other mods RR's files are listed as RR#XXXX.SPL all in capital. No other mods a written like this in override, the closest being, for example, dw#xxxx.cre all in small caps and for creature files.

The following CRE files from Override read fine ...Just RR's SPL files do not load in EEkeeper when other mods are installed.
    @mr_nameless, there is no limit to the number of files EE Keeper can read from the override folder.

It is also not case sensitive, or shouldn't be (can't vouch for Mac), so being all capitals won't make any difference. I would need your entire override folder - or mod install order, to figure out where the problem is. If Rogue Rebalancing reads fine when installed on its own, then there shouldn't be a problem at all.

In case it might be different from the above list, I'll need a full list of mods you currently have installed (links so that I can download them would be appreciated, though not necessary—it would just speed things up since I might download a different version), and the mod install order. I can then try and figure out where the problem might be.
    @Troodon80
    After using Nift's EEkeeper Wineskin wrapper somehow everything works great!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/grvxl821vza9rjn/EE_Keeper_Wineskin_osx10.6.tgz
    I think the problem was some kind of error with my own wrapper...
    Odd. Very odd. Glad it's sorted out, though. :)

@mr_nameless
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @mr_nameless - What version of the Wine engine are you using in your wrapper? @Nifft's wrapper uses 1.5.23, and when I try to update the engine to 1.7.5 or 1.6, it no longer indexes my override directory completely.

If you're interested, I've uploaded a Wineskinned version of the latest EE Keeper from @Troondon80. It works - just a small issue with tab navigation getting drawn over (navigation is possible, but with arrow keys).

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/387250/#Comment_387250
    @AstroBryGuy - Right now I'm using Wrapper version 2.5.8 with the WS9 1.5.23 engine. It's working great. I haven't tried the latest EEkeeper version yet though.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Cheers dudes!!!

Installed using a winxp bottle in crossover, pointed it in the way of the BG:EE2 directory, loaded up a save game and everything seems to be working grand.

If you can't click on the options "priest, saving throws, etc" just press right and left on your keyboard and you be able to cycle in-between them.
  • CaldenseCaldense Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2013
    Is there a specific folder/directory it's looking at for overrides? I have portraits that show up in-game as custom selections, but they won't appear in EEKeeper when I try to edit them. (and then it appears EEKeeper accesses CRE files with Portrait.bif, and those will always override my own overrides. Puzzling!)

Edit: nevermind! Solved it. File names weren't correct. Whoops!
    Post edited by Caldense on
  • TidusTidus Member Posts: 86
    hello, everyone.

i've been having problems with ee keeper on my mac. the app seems to run smoothly (item/spell browser etc.) but it doesn't find any saved game nor character file to open (I already tried to move both from my documents to the resources cabinet within bg2ee app with no result, and so did try to open files with the ee keeper app)…

please help! I just want to get a few characterization improvements to my kensai and customize party members…

thanks!
  • CaldenseCaldense Member Posts: 7
    Hey Tidus,

I had the same problem. Are you using the version AstroBryGuy uploaded? (the link should be just above) That version allows you to set the directory for finding your save games in the "Open Save" window.
    @Caldense, Tidus made a separate thread here. The issue has been sorted out. :)
    Hello Mac users,

I've created a new Wineskin wrapper for EE Keeper 1.0.2.1 in OSX, and I'm happy to share it with other Mac users out there. See the thread here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-1-0-2-1-for-os-x-via-wineskin#latest
  • ArtheusArtheus Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. I have installed the EE Keeper winecontainer and the EE app starts allright but every time it complains that it can't open dialog.tlk and that the game's path is incorrect. Where should I go from here?

Imac 2009, OSX 10.7.5 tried EE Keper 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.2.1
    Artheus said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. I have installed the EE Keeper winecontainer and the EE app starts allright but every time it complains that it can't open dialog.tlk and that the game's path is incorrect. Where should I go from here?

Imac 2009, OSX 10.7.5 tried EE Keper 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.2.1

@Artheus - There a new version of EE Keeper out 1.0.2.2.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-for-os-x-via-wineskin-updated-to-1-0-2-2

I used the following paths in Wine for the games, which are the locations for the Beamdog installer. If you have a beta version or Mac Store version, your installation's directories may be different.
    * BGEE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00777\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources\
    * BG2EE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00782\BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app\Contents\Resources\

If you need to change the installation directories, you can do that under Settings -> Installation Directory.
  • ipsumipsum Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I've been playing Baldur's Gate for over 10 years now, but I've never actually gone in and edited or changed any of the files so I'm a total noob when it comes to editing anything. I ran into the glitch where the luck spell deletes all of your character proficiencies but I didn't notice it until it was too late and the game was saved over. Could someone please help me with fixing my main character as well as Imoen? I would GREATLY appreciate it!!! I downloaded EE Keeper but every time I do it says it's looking in the override folder and isn't finding anything. Am I supposed to put my saved file into the override folder? I did try that but it didn't do anything. I know I probably sound like a moron here, I'm TOTALLY lost!!!

Here's my game save file.
    @ipsum - You zipped up an alias file, not the actual save game itself.

I'm guessing that you moved the save game into the override directory and then tried to move it back out. OS X's default behavior when dragging a file outside of an app package is to create an alias, not move the file (since moving items out of an app package would normally be a bad thing that could make the app not run).

You don't need to put the save game into the override directory. You just need to set EE Keeper to point at the correct directories. The EE Keeper wineskin download has the directories set for the Beamdog installer, but it looks like you got BGEE from the Mac App Store.

Here's what to do:

Go into EE Keeper.
    Select "Settings -> Installation Directory" from the application menu bar (not the OS X menu bar).
    Click on "Browse BG:EE" or "Browse BG2:EE", depending on which game you want to set up (if you have both games, do both).
    This should bring up a "Browse for Folder" window. Click the "+" symbols to expand the selection tree to "Desktop -> My Computer -> Z: -> Applications".
    Then, find "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" (or BaldursGateII-EnhancedEdition.app") and click the "+" symbol to see the folders inside the app package.
    Find the directory "Contents -> Resources" inside the app package. Select the Resources folder and click "OK".
    These screenshots may help.

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/06/26143b7ff6538030d8ce55966b3bad.png

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/b1/6efa2a73b3314dd0de6fb72bbc9837.png

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/39/40fc7a3542b03da98ae7c97939b39b.png

For saved games, EE Keeper is looking in the following location: "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save"

The Beamdog installer creates a link to the directory "\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\" in your Documents directory, letting EE Keeper find the save directory. Unfortunately, it looks like the Mac App Store version doesn't do this.

You can tell EE Keeper to use a custom save directory. There's a selectable option when you bring up the screen to open a save game. See this image:

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/ad/4fe79ae2cd20fc7f5672dcdf03bfce.jpg

Select the Use Custom Save directory option and then click the Browse button. Navigate to:

Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save\

and then click OK. Don't try to pick a specific save. Just point EE Keeper to the "save" directory.

• justanotherchrisjustanotherchris Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Hi, I've selected an installation directory for pointing out saved games for Keeper (the same resources directory as you chose), but I think I'm running into the same problem. How do I select a language? I can't find any settings in Keeper Wineskin for selecting that, and BG already has English selected.

Edit: Nevermind. I found the language setting and made it English, but it's still not finding any saved games. I even changed the directory to the save folder via User and com.beamdog and all that.
    Nifft said:

My tests with EE Keeper 1.0.1 have SUCCEEDED!

EDIT: So it turns out you need to select a language after you set the installation path. I'd totally neglected to do that, so EE Keeper didn't work ... until I did select a language, and now it works.

Mostly. Cutting & pasting Affects doesn't work, but it didn't work in the previous version either -- probably something to do with differences in how Macs handle the clipboard.

@justanotherchris‌ - This is an old thread for EE Keeper on OSX. There is a new thread with links to the latest version here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-for-os-x-via-wineskin-updated-to-1-0-2-2

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Thread closed. Use the new thread @AstroBryGuy‌ just posted above.
This discussion has been closed.