Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
So I got to thinking, while I often have general questions about various aspects of the game, it's rather bothersome to clutter up the activity page with random questions, especially when I have as many as I do. So I came up with this idea. This is a general questions thread that anyone can contribute to, both with questions and answers. Ask a question, hopefully it'll be answered. (and with the efficiency of the community here, I wouldn't be surprised if it's answered rapidly.) I doubt things will become too cluttered, so it'll be a nice way for us to help each other out. Now, I don't THINK this has been done before, but if so, then do what needs to be done, dear mods, as you generally know best. Without further explanation, here's the first question I have.

If I were to complete Anomen's quest line, would he retain the stat boost if I teleport him to me in ToB? The character I'm working with would be unlikely to take him through all of SoA, but due to Aerie's... "problems" in ToB, my main character would want to leave her where she's safe, but that leaves a clerical gap in the party. Obviously Anomen would fill that hole nicely, but I don't know if he'll keep all of his bonuses from me completing his quest. In theory, I will be taking only five characters through the end of SoA, so if I have to bring Anomen along it's not a deal breaker, but for RP reasons it makes more sense to simply bring him to me when I need him.
Post edited by Tresset on
jackjackmeaglothRavenslightJuliusBorisovlolienbooinyoureyesAristilliusStormvesselTomakokaguanaMetallomanBlackbɨrd

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited May 2014
    I don't see the point here. We already have a general discussion forum where you can ask general questions and search for answers. A general questions thread is only going to make things harder to find, not easier.
    booinyoureyesBrude
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Yes he does.
    abacusSpaceInvaderjackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You need to have Anomen in your party if you wish to remain with the stats/items from SoA that he has.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Yes he does.

I confirm. Did this on my last run... Completed his quest and dropped him off at the Radiant Heart.
    When I later summoned him to the Pocket Plane, he was Sir Anomen.
    (Not sure about gear though, as I left him with pretty nondescript equipment.)
    ElrandirAristillius
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    So... Which is it? Have you tested it Crevs? I'm inclined to believe you, since you're usually right, but abacus did say that he just did it on his last run. As for gear, I really don't care much about that. I'll leave him with garbage probably.

@FinneousPJ‌ How? Sure, you can't find specific topics as easily, but if you ask a question here, you can get it answered without adding another thread to the massive list of them. And since people who comment will have this in their "Participated Discussions", they'll be able to see when new posts are made/new questions are asked, meaning that this thread is unlikely to get buried as easily. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this is a great way to allow people to get answers for their questions, all while keeping the forums less cluttered.
    elminster
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Elrandir‌

Anyone is free to ask questions whether it is in one general thread or in many threads. More often than not a person who has a question, just creates a new discussion. Sometimes a person tries to find the existing discussions and post the question there. So, let's see how this new idea will be realized :)
    LemernislolienDemonoid_Limewire
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

Yes he does.

As he/she said.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609

Yes he does.

As he/she said.
    She :)
    jackjacklolienbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    Elrandir said:

@FinneousPJ‌ How? Sure, you can't find specific topics as easily, but if you ask a question here, you can get it answered without adding another thread to the massive list of them. And since people who comment will have this in their "Participated Discussions", they'll be able to see when new posts are made/new questions are asked, meaning that this thread is unlikely to get buried as easily. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that this is a great way to allow people to get answers for their questions, all while keeping the forums less cluttered.

Why is "the massive list of [threads]" a problem, though? I think it's a good thing that people can search for and choose a thread based on the topic.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It depends, if you import your game/character, it won't be like that, but if you automatically go from SoA->ToB it should work as abacus says.
    abacusElrandirJuliusBorisovDemonoid_Limewire
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I think it might be easier to search by thread and not within the thread. I usually just google questions, instead of searching directly in the forum. But maybe it is the same?
    FinneousPJCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    What is the utility of the Axe of Hrothgar + 3?

It gives +1 to Wisdom & Charisma, but is unusable by the classes that would benefit from these boosts (Cleric & Druid)

Answers on a postcard...
    ElrandirjackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @abacus it allows you to buy cheaper in shops. Not sure how it is intented to be RPed that an axe makes people offer you cheaper prices, but there you go :-)

Of course, given other items or spells that increase CHA more than +1, it is still kind of useless.
    lolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    abacus said:

What is the utility of the Axe of Hrothgar + 3?

It gives +1 to Wisdom & Charisma, but is unusable by the classes that would benefit from these boosts (Cleric & Druid)

Answers on a postcard...

Cleric/thieves (with UAI) that just really want that extra wisdom? (though I don't see it being worth it particularly given you can just use the Staff of Arundel). Maybe warriors that want the charisma boost.
    Demonoid_Limewiresemiticgoddess
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    What's the ETA for patch 1.3?
    FinaLfrontjackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    What is the best Thac0 you can get in BGEE? (including class/kit bonuses, items, spells, potions, etc) Preferably not with stacking the same potions on top of each other in case that works.
    jackjackDemonoid_Limewire
    edited May 2014
    @elminster‌ Since no one seems to be responding I'll give an answer, though I'm not sure it's completely accurate. I know that archers can get to -2 at max level with the +2 short bow and high mastery in short bows, so with the +2 longbow and those skills... -3? I'm not taking potions into account, since I don't use THAC0 potions. I thought they only set your THAC0, not decrease it.

Edit: I forgot to take into account the fact that the Deadshot provides a +3 to THAC0, not a +2, since it's a +2 LONGbow. So I believe the highest THAC0 in the original BG:EE would be -4.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjackCrevsDaak

General questions?

hmmm.... okay. Who was taller, Patton or McArthur?

When my siblings and I were kids and we'd ask our Dad for General Knowledge questions, his first response would always be "Which General...".
    jackjackbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisovkaguana
    edited May 2014
    @FinneousPJ‌ That's in the original BG:EE? Is that the one you get from that noble's brother? I never use crossbows, so I always forget about it.

Edit: For clarification purposes, when I said "original", I meant BG:EE as opposed to BG2:EE.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    I think it's called The Guide in BGEE but it is available in the original and BGEE AFAIK.
    jackjackelminsterJuliusBorisov
    Is there a mace +2 in BG1:EE? I know the Mace of Stunning is a monster, but is there a mace +2 or is +1 the best? (Minsc is going to be dual wielding.)
    edited May 2014
    @elminster‌ That counts as a mace? I thought that was the one that uses staff proficiency but is one handed. Or is that Kiel's mace? Although doesn't that one cause berserk?

Edit: Wait, no. Do you mean Krotan's Skullcrusher? Or is that even a mace? I honestly can't remember.
    Edit 2: You do mean the Skullcrusher. Thanks! I'd forgotten about it.

@jackjack‌ He's going to be using two maces. Mace of Stunning will DEFINITELY be one of them.
    jackjack
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I think this is a good idea for a thread, at least for when you have a simple question which requires a concrete answer. Quick question, quick answer thread?
    ElrandirjackjackJuliusBorisovLemernis