Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

1383940414244»

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Yes, it works with throwing weapons. I created a quick test character and used the Jailkeep Golem as a target - confirmed for darts and throwing daggers.

It should also work for exotic ranged attacks such as mustard jelly form.
    billy_pilgrimsemiticgoddess
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    Cool, thanks! Does the crit stack with single weapon style too?
    No, because the conditions for them to apply are mutually exclusive. Single-weapon style only applies to melee attacks made with a one-handed weapon when nothing is in the off hand. Similarly, the other three weapon styles apply only to melee attacks.
    semiticgoddess
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    you mean sword and shield bonuses to defense also do not apply for dart and shield?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Anybody know what the range of penalties for trying to hide in light areas is, or the range of bonuses for hiding in dark areas?
  • appoappo Member Posts: 6
    Question: Whats your experience with triple class characters F/M/T or F/M/C in 6 player parties? Do they shine later on or even early in full modded games without EXP cap?
  • coredumpedcoredumped Member Posts: 8
    Hello all :)

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a scroll of Cloudkill in SoD? And if so, where?
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Confirm/deny: when using a ranged weapon in melee the enemies get +4 ThAC0 bonus to hit you but YOU get -8 ThAC0 penalty to hit THEM.
    Confirm. At least, if the enemy has a melee weapon equipped. That melee attack also gets a +4 damage bonus.

You can use this in the other direction, too. Sneak up on a ranged attacker and backstab for massive damage. For example, you know that assassin Nimbul in Nashkel? Imoen at level 5, with the +2 short sword, has a 90% chance to hit him on a backstab and deals at least 21 damage ((1d6+2+4)*3 = 21-36) if she hits. Nimbul only has 21 hit points.

Because of this, even a dedicated archer should have a melee option they can switch to at a moment's notice. Even if they don't attack with it, it can be worth switching when an enemy closes and you're trying to disengage without too much pain.
    jmerry wrote: »
    That melee attack also gets a +4 damage bonus.

I heard this didn't make it to EE.
    You heard wrong. I've only ever played the EE, and I've taken advantage of that damage bonus countless times.
    Huh, good to know.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2023
    Been away from this game for many years by now, but I still dearly love BG and like to poke my head in. I intend to return to regularly playing it eventually (especially completing this journaled run: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16860/let-the-fates-decide-game-journal-there-will-be-major-spoilers)

I’m not enamored at all by Larian’s BG3, the game mechanics and graphics just aren’t for me. Not into it.

Is there any chance, even a snowball’s in hell, that Beamdog can get permission from the powers-that-be (whoever owns the game now under the main umbrella, etc.) to develop an entirely new adventure using the Enhanced Edition of the Infinity Engine using every resource available? That would be modding essentially. But for example perhaps using whatever current new generation tools are available to render painted landscapes using AI? I know that might not sit well with video game artists but we’re in a brave new world now. And at the risk of raising the ire of any professional writers out there, AI could also be instrumental is providing inspiration for the story itself, new characters, and dialogue. Not to have AI do everything. But to simply help capture the look, feel, and overall mythos of the original games. Then the real life human beings can craft from that raw material, etc.

If this can ever get green lit, it should of course be set on our beloved Sword Coast circa roughly the same time period as the BG saga. Personally I would love to keep a tie-in to the original BG saga by telling the events that led to the Bhaalspawn wars, particularly Bhaal’s plotting during the Time of Troubles. I want to see a badass NPC Gorion, for example.

I know WotC is pushing 5th edition hard. But something like a BG series prequel using EE IE and the 2nd ed AD&D combat mechanics and ruleset released by Beamdog is more likely a niche product that could be marketed as nostalgia. It can allow players that aren’t on board for 5e to get something they love as well.

Oh, and Beamdog, you do this hire me as a consultant! 😜 I have ideas about how the game can potentially strike chords at a mostly unconscious level. (I’m serious about the latter, actually, but if a volunteer role is all that’s available I’d help out any way I can.)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    (Like)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We'll be releasing our first IP, MythForce, next month (Sept 12). We don't plan to create new content for Infinity Engine games, sorry.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    We'll be releasing our first IP, MythForce, next month (Sept 12). We don't plan to create new content for Infinity Engine games, sorry.

Cool, I’ll check it out!

Well, maybe modders can take up what I’ve suggested here. Especially with AI generated painted landscapes for the areas I mean. And for sprites as well I’d imagine.
  • Whatever1Whatever1 Member Posts: 17
    I've googled this but not all the information seems to jive. Can someone give a definitive answer?

Is it possible (either through simple measures or complicated 3rd party software) to import savegames from the original games into the EE editions for..

BG 1
    BG 2
    IWD 1

?

Thanks
  • MerlkirMerlkir Member Posts: 3
    A bit of an odd question perhaps - I've been thinking about buying the enhanced editions on disc/physical media. But it doesn't seem like the PC versions all came out in a single country? Maybe Germany?
    I can currently find them second hand - BG1 from Germany or France, IWD here in the Czech Republic and BG2 maybe in a German version.
    The question is - do these localized releases all come with an option to play in English? (audio and text)