Skip to content

What is your favorite early Candlekeep Quest?

2»

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sorry @Troodon80‌ Of course it was you!

In its buggy multiplayer infancy, I remember looking at that load screen hoping a Panda would show up. Happy days!

Uhm... Never played with @Elminister‌ ... Although I think I managed a quick game with @Shandyr and @Tresset‌ once... @Shandyr kept trying to get us to stay close, so we wouldn't get picked of one by one.

We were fireballed.

Although this may have been with another group... Its like the movies, you remember Imoen / Darth Vader being there but not who played Imoen / Darth Vader...
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    Twani said:

Why do you think Phlydia's journal was there?

Dastardly! I'll never be able to look at Phydia the same.

But really, I like Dreppin because his droppleganger is so nice. All the others are like 'RAT TRAITORRR' and he's like 'I would have went with you, you know!' Then he ruins it by being like 'DIEEEE', but it's the thought that counted.
    I have this head canon thing where Charname is just a bit younger than Dreppin and has a childhood crush on him. She would have really liked him to leave Candlekeep with her. But then when she comes back and tells him what life is like on the outside and he's kind of scared of it, I think she realizes his limitations. Then, killing his doppelganger and not knowing if he's still alive . . . I daresay Ajantis comforted her that night. In a PG-13 way, of course, because Helm sees all.

I think too much of these dopey things.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I'll tell you this: after the first version of Romantic Encounters for BG1 is released, for the second version of it, I'm going to write something for Dreppin. Not a sex scene or anything, as I imagine Candlekeep just totally PG13, but just a path when you can declare yourself close friends and maybe crushes and and talk a bit with him, both in chapter one and in chapter six. Because that whole 'I would have left with you' thing is just surprisingly sweet.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    One thing I hate about Candlekeep though, when you return in Chapter 6 all the stuff is there even if you looted it in the Prologue (which you probably did, cause you're a level 1 adventurer). Like, scroll of Armor, Infravision and dagger in the chest in the Inn, Potion of Clarity upstairs... precise amounts of GP in barrels and chests... who's restocking these things?!
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited June 2014
    There's no contest as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure if BG1 started the kill rats RPG quest trope, but it has certainly contributed to its rise to fame.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

My favourite unofficial quest was backstabbing Firebeard to instantly get a level... with EE everyone now goes crazy. People these days!

Lol. Honestly, if I saw you do that I'd probably react the same way and attack you. In real life. With a massive halberd. >:0
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Saving the world, one rat at a time.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260

Lol. Honestly, if I saw you do that I'd probably react the same way and attack you. In real life. With a massive halberd. >:0

Don't you mean quarterstaff? I don't know of anyone in CK with a halberd, and all the guards seem to think quarterstaves are the it weapon.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'm a big fan of the warrior only quest 'kill the poor bastards in the barracks for their armour, and sometimes magical dagger I likely will never need'.

I sometimes wear the helm too. O:)
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    I can relate to Phlydia and love that character.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541

Really speaking, I like the Fuller encounter because it gives an early heads-up to some of the kind of anti-thinking playing-with-your-head tricks that Bioware Devs have strewn throughout the game. Obtaining the only thing worth getting in Candlekeep prologue requires a dialogue option that leaves you sounding like an absolute TWIT!!! "Really, I was just wonderin' if you had any errands to run..." Yah, sure!!! That's likely.

I must amend the above because the Potion of Clarity which can be pilfered from Candlekeep Inn can be very useful for quick levelling on a solo run. Probably even more of a potential game-changer than
    Fuller's +1 Dagger. And then there is the cheesy assassination caper [Firebead Elvenhair] of course.