Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Q. Why does Minsc's racial enemy change from Gnolls to Vampires?
    jackjackRavenslight
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    bengoshi said:

@Stormvessel‌

I hope I'm not too late. You've asked about thieving skills distribution and it seems this question has been overlooked. A thief iis my favourite class so I can't go by that question.

So:

There're rings in BG2 available not far into the game that give +25% to Find/Disarm Traps and +25% to Open Locks. So, don't waste points and don't put more than 75 into both these skills. Before you acquire these rings, you can use potions of master thievery to open locks and potions of power to disarm traps. There're many of these potions in the game.

Also, even taking into account you plan to dual-class, I would still put points into Set Traps. Even not the most powerful version of traps are useful. You need only 80 points in this skill because there's a ring giving +20% to Set Traps.

I would put 100 into Detect Illusion (it's a very useful skill, helps a lot against mages), 80 into Set Traps, 75 into Find/Disarm Traps, 75 into Open Locks. The rest you can put into HiS/MS - it doesn't matter which skill from these two, as @FinaLfront‌ has found out: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/500058/#Comment_500058

Don't bother putting points into Pick Pockets - you can gulp several potions of master thievery, they stack and you'll easily have many points in this skill to steal from the person you need.

You'll have many items that give bonuses to HiS/MS, you'll be a mage so invisibility spells won't be a problem. Also, you've asked: "Will the invisibility spell work for BOTH Hide in Shadows and Move silently or only one or the other?" The reality is that the invisibility spell makes you - yes, you're right, - invisible and this is the only thing that matters. So, we can indeed say this spell works for both HiS/MS.

Wow. Thanks Bengoshi - no, you're not too late at all. I am only level 5 so I still have quite a few points to spread out - and I don't think I have more than 75 in any of them so I will follow your advice and in BG2 I will swap in those rings whenever I need them. I will rely on potions to get through Durlag's tower and the rest of Baldur's Gate 1.

I am playing Chaotic Evil and I am really stoked on my party. I am going with a real damage heavy party and I think my party is the best one I've had yet and that's saying a lot. I bypassed Kagain (what the hell did I think I was doing?) and I am going with:

Mordeth (my charname)
    Dorn
    Shar-Teel dualed to thief
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Baeloth

Shar-Teel will help pick up my slack thieving and I don't mind not having backstab because I would never be able to do it as well as her anyway - she really compliments my Swashbuckler I think. We'll be a nice thieving team.

Edwin and Baeloth will be quite the team. Each one will use an evermemory ring, and Viconia is the best Cleric in the game.

Mordeth and Shar-Teel can hold the frontline and Dorn can be my archer w/ the dexterity ring (I love that Blackguard special).

I love my squad. Best one I've had yet - at least so far.
    ElrandirjackjackJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2014
    Last question.

If I remove the xp cap in BGEE2 would I be able to hit Swashbuckler 15 > Mage 31 or would the game end before I could logically reach that point?
    SionIV said:

Last question.

If I remove the xp cap in BGEE2 would I be able to hit Swashbuckler 15 > Mage 31 or would the game end before I could logically reach that point?

It comes down to how much of the game you complete and how many people are in your party.
    That stands to reason, thanks. I will just shoot for 12 > 30 like I had all along.
    SionIV
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

SionIV said:

Last question.

It comes down to how much of the game you complete and how many people are in your party.
    That stands to reason, thanks. I will just shoot for 12 > 30 like I had all along.
    If you complete everything and play with a party of 4 or less you'll be able to reach even the 15 > 31. If you're going to go with a full party of six it might be hard unless you try to milk every point of experience by doing things like resting to get into combat or deleting your spells and scribing them again.
    elminsterStormvesselElrandirJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2014
    Funnily enough I thought about staying as a Swashbuckler for the entire saga because as a thief I would eventually get Use All Items which would allow me to cast spells from wands and scrolls (although Wish and Time Stop and other high powered spells can't be cast from wands). I guess I will wait and see. If I dual it will definitely be at either 12 or 15.
    ElrandirSionIVJuliusBorisovRavenslight
    edited June 2014
    Ok, I lied - I do have one more question! I know I've bothered you guys enough, but I figure since this thread is pinned and no one else is making use of it, I might as well ask away...

Which would be the most effective way to use my fourth and final pip for the rest of BGEE before transferring?

I have one pip in scimitars (I am wielding Drizzt's Icingdeath and a +1 scimitar in offhand) and two pips in two-weapon fighting.

Should I specialize in scimitars and wait until BGEE2 to get the third pip in two-weapon fighting (at level 12), or should I get it now and wait to specialize?

If I took the third and final pip in two-weapon fighting my thac0 will be improved by -2 in the offhand. But if I instead put the pip into scimitars, my offhand thac0 will remain at a +4 penalty, but I will gain +1 thac0 on BOTH weapons and +2 to damage.

It seems to me that specializing would give the bigger bonus at this point, because my bonus to thac0 would still be -2 because I'm using two weapons (-1 for each weapon), but I also get the +2 damage bonus which seems to me makes it a better option.

Unless there is some element I am missing it seems to me the best thing to do is specialize now and finish out two-weapon fighting in BGEE2. But I can't name the number of times my logic has been wrong in the past, so I thought I would throw this out there in the chance that someone can confirm whether or not my reasoning is correct, or if I'm wrong and should complete two-weapon fighting before specialization.
    You want to specialize in Scimitars.
    StormvesselJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    I would have put it into short swords. I think that is the one you should next put towards (@ level 12 aka 440,000 xp).

Ok, I lied - I do have one more question! I know I've bothered you guys enough, but I figure since this thread is pinned and no one else is making use of it, I might as well ask away...

Which would be the most effective way to use my fourth and final pip for the rest of BGEE before transferring?

I have one pip in scimitars (I am wielding Drizzt's Icingdeath and a +1 scimitar in offhand) and two pips in two-weapon fighting.

Should I specialize in scimitars and wait until BGEE2 to get the third pip in two-weapon fighting (at level 12), or should I get it now and wait to specialize?

If I took the third and final pip in two-weapon fighting my thac0 will be improved by -2 in the offhand. But if I instead put the pip into scimitars, my offhand thac0 will remain at a +4 penalty, but I will gain +1 thac0 on BOTH weapons and +2 to damage.

It seems to me that specializing would give the bigger bonus at this point, because my bonus to thac0 would still be -2 because I'm using two weapons (-1 for each weapon), but I also get the +2 damage bonus which seems to me makes it a better option.

Unless there is some element I am missing it seems to me the best thing to do is specialize now and finish out two-weapon fighting in BGEE2. But I can't name the number of times my logic has been wrong in the past, so I thought I would throw this out there in the chance that someone can confirm whether or not my reasoning is correct, or if I'm wrong and should complete two-weapon fighting before specialization.

Also its important to remember that your offhand weapon only hits once each round regardless of the number of attacks you get. At least until you get into some of the more powerful abilities and spells in BG2.
    jackjack
    elminster said:

I would have put it into short swords. I think that is the one you should next put towards (@ level 12 aka 440,000 xp).

Why would you have put it into short sword instead of his main weapon proficiency (Scimitar)?

He won't find any weapons nearly as good as Drizzt Scimitar in BGEE and once he reaches BG2EE he'll be able to pick up that short sword proficiency point early.
    StormvesselCrevsDaak
    It doesn't really matter much either way but I think it would provide more in the way of options particularly in BG2EE (when weapon choices are more varied). By taking short sword at level 8 that would free up level 12 for katanas. It means that you can give something like Belm to a warrior character in your group and use kundane on the offhand instead (with a better chance of it hitting than otherwise) and a number of different weapons in your main hand. Basically it just provides a lot more options than specializing earlier does.
    jackjack
    elminster said:

It doesn't really matter much either way but I think it would provide more in the way of options particularly in BG2EE (when weapon choices are more varied). By taking short sword at level 8 that would free up level 12 for katanas. It means that you can give something like Belm to a warrior character in your group and use kundane on the offhand instead (with a better chance of it hitting than otherwise) and a number of different weapons in your main hand. Basically it just provides a lot more options than specializing earlier does.

But he's going to have a completely useless proficiency slot through the entire of BGEE or he'll have +2 Damage and +1 Thaco more?

He'll hit level 12 in BG2EE before he even gets belm or any other weapon like that.
    JuliusBorisovGotural
    edited June 2014
    SionIV said:

SionIV said:

You want to specialize in Scimitars.

That's it. I am set. Thanks to you and everyone who has been a help to me in this thread - I can take it from here now. :)
    Feel free to ask if you have any questions, we're here to help. :)
    I really appreciate it. There comes a point where I have to learn for myself through trial and error like everyone else, but coming from modern RPGS this game can be a little overwhelming at first and when you take gaming as seriously as I do, it becomes very easy to second guess yourself to the point where you aren't even having fun anymore. Hence I ask questions.

For what it's worth, I really am starting to get a solid grip on this game and everything it entails. And you guys have been absolutely terrific.
    elminster said:

SionIV is right - Icingdeath and Twinkle are one of the main reasons I chose Scimitars (even though I can't wield Twinkle I can still wield Icingdeath).

But there is another reason:

1. I can't backstab with my Swashbuckler, and from what I hear short blades (and strangely enough, staffs) are best when used for that purpose.

2. I had a certain image in my mind's eye before I created this character. I saw him with 20+ strength (tome, lum's machine, etc), wielding Belm in the off hand for the extra attack, getting hopped up on improved haste, and tossing miniature meteors like a madman! I will go to the trouble of obtaining Spectral Brand+5 first chance I get for the enemies that require +5 to hit. But mostly it's going to be Belm, haste, and spitting out meteors like a machine gun mowing everything down.

Of course I plan to use other strategies as well - my character will be a powerful mage, after all.

Edit: I am also dueling at 15 so I can hit Mage 28. I will not be removing the xp cap. Mage 28 is fine because that's the level where I will reach max spell slots. I will have a nice +3 AC and + 3 thac0/dmg bonus at that level, also. My only pips can be 3 in two weapon fighting and 2 in scimitars. When I become a mage I will pick up slings to help with some of the tough special enemies until I can obtain the upgraded Brand+5.
    SionIVElrandirJuliusBorisov
    SionIV said:

elminster said:

But he's going to have a completely useless proficiency slot through the entire of BGEE or he'll have +2 Damage and +1 Thaco more?

He'll hit level 12 in BG2EE before he even gets belm or any other weapon like that.
    He's already level 8 so its not like we are talking about the entire BGEE. There is no need to exaggerate here. The original games cap was at 89,000 so for all I know stormvessel is already closing in on the later chapters (particularly if he hasn't done a lot of the side quests). Also its not as if its a completely useless proficiency its just slightly less useful than whatever offhand scimitar he would be using for the remaining portion of BGEE. But I think spreading out proficiencies is a better approach to take. He's already using a +3 weapon in his main hand, which are already extremely rare in the game, so I don't see why taking a short sword +2/+3 after getting short sword proficiency is that big of a deal.

Anyways stormvessel has said he has roleplaying reasons for choosing scimitars so this whole discussion is kind of moot.
    edited June 2014
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

elminster said:

He's already level 8 so its not like we are talking about the entire BGEE. There is no need to exaggerate here. The original games cap was at 89,000 so for all I know stormvessel is already closing in on the later chapters (particularly if he hasn't done a lot of the side quests). Also its not as if its a completely useless proficiency its just slightly less useful than whatever offhand scimitar he would be using for the remaining portion of BGEE. But I think spreading out proficiencies is a better approach to take. He's already using a +3 weapon in his main hand, which are already extremely rare in the game, so I don't see why taking a short sword +2/+3 after getting short sword proficiency is that big of a deal.

Anyways stormvessel has said he has roleplaying reasons for choosing scimitars so this whole discussion is kind of moot.
    He could be level 8 and stand in front of Cloakwood mines, there is that much experience in the wilderness areas. It is completely useless because he has better weapons already, and the only good short sword he can pick up (+3) is right before the end.

There is no meaning with playing a swashbuckler if you're not going to specialize. It's like playing a Half-Orc and pick 17 in Strength and Constitution.
    JuliusBorisovGotural
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2014
    SionIV said:

elminster said:

SionIV said:

elminster said:

He could be level 8 and stand in front of Cloakwood mines, there is that much experience in the wilderness areas. It is completely useless because he has better weapons already, and the only good short sword he can pick up (+3) is right before the end.

There is no meaning with playing a swashbuckler if you're not going to specialize. It's like playing a Half-Orc and pick 17 in Strength and Constitution.
    Its only available at the start of the final chapter in the main questline, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end of the game. The main questline represents a minority of the quests available in the game.

Being able to specialize is only a very small benefit of having a swashbuckler. You absolutely don't need to, not even in BG2 really, and it won't have that big of an impact on the character (worst case scenario we are talking about 1 less thac0 and 20 less damage on a character with 10 APR ). Its really not that significant vs getting a wider selection of weapons (especially since thieves take a -3 hit to using weapons they don't have proficiency in). Also when compared to the swashbucklers other bonuses (AC bonuses, Damage/thac0 bonuses, ability to put *** in two weapon style) it really is only a small part of the swashbucklers bonuses. Particularly since it doesn't give an APR boost.

On the otherhand the only benefit a half orc gets is the 19 strength and 19 constitution, so not putting 19 in both of those would be giving up something far more substantial than the swashbuckler's specialization. Especially given the huge benefit that 19 strength provides over (to use your example) 17 strength.

jackjackJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2014
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

elminster said:

SionIV said:

elminster said:

Its only available at the start of the final chapter in the main questline, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end of the game. The main questline represents a minority of the quests available in the game.

Being able to specialize is only a very small benefit of having a swashbuckler. You absolutely don't need to, not even in BG2 really, and it won't have that big of an impact on the character (worst case scenario we are talking about 1 less thac0 and 20 less damage on a character with 10 APR ). Its really not that significant vs getting a wider selection of weapons (especially since thieves take a -3 hit to using weapons they don't have proficiency in). Also when compared to the swashbucklers other bonuses (AC bonuses, Damage/thac0 bonuses, ability to put *** in two weapon style) it really is only a small part of the swashbucklers bonuses. Particularly since it doesn't give an APR boost.

On the otherhand the only benefit a half orc gets is the 19 strength and 19 constitution, so not putting 19 in both of those would be giving up something far more substantial than the swashbuckler's specialization. Especially given the huge benefit that 19 strength provides over (to use your example) 17 strength.

The whole point is that he gets NOTHING out of short swords (when he uses scimitars) in BGEE. He will be able to get a proficiency points in short swords before he even gets his hands on Belm or has the money to pay for the Short Sword of Mask in BG2EE.

So it's +2 Damage +1 Thaco or NOTHING.

Yes you take the Swashbuckler for it's damage/AC when they level up, but you also take it for specialization. The +2 damage equals 10 levels for the swashbuckler.

You get the Short Sword +3 at the end of the game, no matter how you twist and turn it.

Will be my last post on this, If you're not going to specialize with a swashbuckler, you should pick another class to play.

[Edited] :

I apologize if i come forward as harsh or rude, that was not my intention and i'm sorry. Normally i'm all for different opinions, but in this situation there is only one correct way if he wants to have an efficient character. If he wanted to roleplay that would be fine. But if he got Drizzt scimitars there is absolutely no reason to sacrifice +2 damage +1 Thac0 for a weapon type he isn't going to use. And once he might end up using it (BG2) he'll already have enough levels to place another proficiency point.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovGotural
    And my point was that for the benefit of that +1 Thac0 and +2 damage (which really becomes +2 damage in the case of off-hand weapons if you get the +3 short sword) he gets the ability to more reliably use a much greater variety of weapons earlier in BG2. As it stands now he can get a proficiency in another weapon at level 12 and after that its 700,000 xp until he gets proficiency in another weapon type. Obviously stormvessel took the approach that he did but its not the approach that I would have recommended for the kit/class. I also disagree that if you aren't going to specialize you should pick another class.
    Sergio said:

I've got a question to ask: will a chaotic neutral anomen (so a SoA anomen that failed his test) have different banters ?

I don't mean specific banters (e.g he tries to kill this or that character) - I'm referring to the banters themselves.

I don't think he generally does no (just for the specific characters that I suspect you've already heard about).
    edited June 2014
    elminster said:

And my point was that for the benefit of that +1 Thac0 and +2 damage (which really becomes +2 damage in the case of off-hand weapons if you get the +3 short sword) he gets the ability to more reliably use a much greater variety of weapons earlier in BG2. As it stands now he can get a proficiency in another weapon at level 12 and after that its 700,000 xp until he gets proficiency in another weapon type. Obviously stormvessel took the approach that he did but its not the approach that I would have recommended for the kit/class. I also disagree that if you aren't going to specialize you should pick another class.

Sergio said:

I've got a question to ask: will a chaotic neutral anomen (so a SoA anomen that failed his test) have different banters ?

I don't mean specific banters (e.g he tries to kill this or that character) - I'm referring to the banters themselves.

I don't think he generally does no (just for the specific characters that I suspect you've already heard about).
    He can pick up Usuno's Blade +4 which is better than any short sword he can find in SoA. He can also pick it up earlier than any good short swords he can find. It's faster to clear the first floor of watcher's keep than it is to gather the money for the Short Sword of Mask +4.

So in his case Scimitar -> Short Sword unless you have a specific reason for using short swords (RP).

Damn, this will really be my last post on the subject! *Frowns*
    JuliusBorisov