Skip to content

(Rebooted!) The tale of Loser: Meagloth's 24-roll no-reload run!(complete!)

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’m curious how you got them to surround him.
    Ah, I see. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Shouldn't rage prevent feeblemind? I'm getting it from sirens kisses, even though I have rage on. I didn't know the could do that with their attacks:/
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Hmmm... explosive necklace might have helped? I think berserker would have been easier, but I suppose you cant carry many throwing axes... what about daggers? You get decent rof, not great damage though. But being able to stack melee and ranged proficiencies could help, since the dag of venom kick serious ass imo.

Good run though! Too bad it ended a bit early!
    lolienRavenslight
    @DreadKhan‌ dagger still weigh 1, so I could never really have more than 10 at once. And i like my sling. It's very easy to get an enchanted version, and you get a dex thaco bounds from missile and a str damage bounus. I'm very fond of slings in general, the only reason(one of) my fighters don't use them is that all the good ones are taken by mages and clerics.

And I wasthrowing explodey potions. The things that got me where all rage related. I was safe, using my sling, until rage wore off it doesn't last very long, and timing was hard. I should have got a potion of speed so I could pick them off quicker, but I couldn't find one. Also, their kissed seem to cast rigid thinking, which isn't blocked by rage. (IS THIS A BUG?!) and there was nothing it could do abou that.
    DreadKhan
    Huh, didnt notice daggers having weight... that might just be BG2 poison daggers, which arent meleeable. Well, Xzar and my warrior wouldnt have noticed the weight, so that might be why too. Playing with small stacking and daggers is an... experience. Yeah, that. :I

Slings are pretty awesome I agree... my cleric and c/t both offed Sarevok with them. Which MUST be embarassing in Hell...

Other Bhaalspawn "New guy, huh? You look pretty tough, what killed you? Dragon? Baalor? Angry mage?"

Sarevok "I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!"
    lolienRavenslightJuliusBorisovElrandir
    I hope you do continue to update if you have time. I will miss his adventures… sniff. :)
    lolienJuliusBorisovElrandir
    @meagloth‌ You realize it looks like you're trying to argue on the internet, right? Just making sure you noticed. You also arent doing a great job, but I'll address your concerns.

A) the only art I have seen of historical sling use that wasnt strictly modern was to use the sling more or less behind you, with your profile towards the opponent, and as mentioned, a heavy shield in front. Sling would indeed either be vertical slung, or diagonally, but not overhead. That wouldnt be practical in formation I suspect. It seemed a little awkward, but you'd be pretty safe. This was supposedly used by slingers from the Belaeric Isles, part of Spain now. The Romans used them as auxiliaries, but prefered them above almost all other auxiliaries.

B) oookkkaaayyy... feel free to offer evidence of significant professional military use of slings. Belaeric slingers were a fairly abberant military force, but I mentioned the Romans as the exception. When you disagree, its a tradition in good discussion to offer an explanation. Never said they COULDN'T be used by a military.

C) ballisitics is the issue. The larger the bullet, it recieves vastly more air resistance, and the faster it is flung, the more resistance... which is why a large rock would do significantly less damage. You could probably use sandstone or clay to limit penetration as well, since the bullet would be crushed or broken on impact. Never heard of anyone using sandstone bullets, but clay was definately used. Metal bullets could be used, but slings tend to be more prevelant in areas poor in metal (well, iron anyways). Lead, iron, very dense stone etc would be used where available and affordable. But the main issue is that the bullet must be small yet heavy enough to be relatively unaffected by air/wind, thus maintaining velocity, and it must be denser than what it strikes. This is why more modern armour piercing shells often fire a much smaller actual shell with a substantial casing, with the 'bullet' being made of an extremely dense metal, uranium or tungsten ie denser than heat-treated steel. Its actually pretty interesting stuff.

I'll put it this way about slings... if a cheap, sufficiently effective weapon requiring a not unreasonable level of training isnt commonly used by professional soldiers, does this not suggest a significant image problem? It does to me.
    edited June 2014
    Whatever. Arguing about how you perceive slings and slingers is hardly a worthwhile pursuit. I concede.
    DreadKhan
    I also concede, since I think we both agree on the salient fact that slings properly used were quite effective.

Looking forward to some more of this run if it ever strikes your fancy!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    meagloth said:

Shouldn't rage prevent feeblemind? I'm getting it from sirens kisses, even though I have rage on. I didn't know the could do that with their attacks:/

Hmm. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/344503/#Comment_344503

@Tresset‌ : "Sirine's melee attack has special properties. This attack inflicts confusion which is blocked by rage, BUT it also inflicts a temporary feeblemind on the hit character which is NOT blocked by barbarian rage (it is blocked by berserker and Minsc rage though). The feeblemind causes you to loose control of your character, causes your character to do absolutely nothing, and lowers your character's int to 3."

Does it turn out berserker's rage is useless here too?
    Pibaromeaglothlolien
    bengoshi said:

meagloth said:

Hmm. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/344503/#Comment_344503

@Tresset‌ : "Sirine's melee attack has special properties. This attack inflicts confusion which is blocked by rage, BUT it also inflicts a temporary feeblemind on the hit character which is NOT blocked by barbarian rage (it is blocked by berserker and Minsc rage though). The feeblemind causes you to loose control of your character, causes your character to do absolutely nothing, and lowers your character's int to 3."

Does it turn out berserker's rage is useless here too?
    Thank you. That would have been REALLY great to know two weeks ago:/
    lolienJuliusBorisovPibaro
    Soooo..... Rage doesn't protect against web, huh?
    DreadKhanCrevsDaak
    You could do my TOTALLY not lame strategy, use potion of freedom and invisibility, then set off all the webs. Fight away after its safe! Totally not lame. *looks sheepish*
    Ravenslight
    DreadKhan said:

You could do my TOTALLY not lame strategy, use potion of freedom and invisibility, then set off all the webs. Fight away after its safe! Totally not lame. *looks sheepish*

...but the description says rage protects against ALL HOLD effects.
    DreadKhanRavenslight
    Hmm... I can read that two ways, ie immune to Hold effects (ie the dpells Hold noun, or similar paralysis effects), or as you're reading it, ie acts as Freedom of Movement effect. I would fsvour the former, but I dont think your reading is incorrect; it's a valid interpretation.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Yes, Web isn't considered as an Holding effect.

Hold represents the effects from Ghast's touch or from the Hold Person spell.
    JuliusBorisov
    Hrmph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You should try using a Halfling thief, their lowest roll possible is 6/9/10/6/2/3.
    JuliusBorisov
    CrevsDaak said:

You should try using a Halfling thief, their lowest roll possible is 6/9/10/6/2/3.

@CrevsDaak‌ i took a fighter type cause I could get as low of a roll I did. Anything but all threes and a 9 would be beside the point. And the comment that started it all implied a fighter. If it was up to me I would play a sorcerer, but then assuming minimum roll I would have 3 strength. That would be... Bad. I would have robes and a dagger. Nothing else:P

Sorry I haven't been updating as much. It's been a lot quicker and less engaging new that I reload. I have made it to baldurs gate though, and invaded the 7 suns. Daveorns was a trip, with his battle horrors.
    CrevsDaaklolien
    Battle horrors are disturbingly well named for BG1. They stalled my first playthrough I remember... mainly because my party was brutally underequiped, and run by some kind of moron... ;)

Any tactical details of your run are interesting and entertaing. Are you going to take on the Ogre House?
    lolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    meagloth said:

*Oops, it looks you triggered a weapons rant. Watch out.*

I'll finish reading the rest of this in a minute, but I couldn't resist...

Nonnahswriter