Skip to content

Your favourite BG2 romance including the new enhanced edition characters?

RhelnaRhelna Member Posts: 17
I'm just curious about which is really the most popular romance (particularly amidst the new EE characters).
I haven't included mods, but you can list your favourite mods in the comments if you like.
  1. Your favourite BG2 romance including the new enhanced edition characters?261 votes
    1. Aerie
      18.77%
    2. Viconia
      28.35%
    3. Anomen
        4.98%
    4. Jaheira
      27.59%
    5. Rasaad
        6.13%
    6. Dorn
        1.92%
    7. Neera
      10.34%
    8. Hexaat
        1.92%
RavenslightCaloNordJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesIsewein

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Jaheria! Although I find her attitude a little annoying sometimes, she's really just misunderstood! ;)
    Viconia I feel is WAY overrated ;)
    I think I'll like the Neera romance to but I haven't had a chance to play test them yet :)
    Same goes for Dorn! The big softy! ;)
    minsc4prezOswald81
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Well, I was writing about my choice then @bengoshi posted. ;)
    JuliusBorisovkillerrabbit
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I don't like very much any romance.
    I tried all of them (except Neera, but one day I will romance her too).
    I'm voting for Hexxat, just because it's new, but it's not a real vote :)

I can only say that when I romanced Dorn with a male, I was also romancing Viconia (and I wanted to romance her, not him), but when Dorn made his proposal, I accepted, and Viconia reaction was fantastic!!! So I decided to continue the Dorn romance. That part of the Dorn romance was one of my favourite of all romances, so it deserves at least a mention.

Jaheira romance is toooooooo long and complicated, and most important, it delays the ring of wizardry encounter (which is bad).
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovAedan
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @Pibaro: you're a shameless powerplayer! @SpaceInvader‌ taught you well!
    PibaroSpaceInvaderCaloNord
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh, dear. I haven't played enough. I did neera in bg1, and started arie in bg2(it broke both times) so I can't say. I guess I'll pick one of them so I can see the results. I tried to get anomen once, but neera and crevsdaak worked together to break that to.
    RavenslightCaloNordjackjackkillerrabbit
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Anything but Aerie's, really.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @meagloth‌ Good god no. Anyone but Anomen. :P Crevsdaak was right to put a stop to that! :P
  • TidusTidus Member Posts: 86
    I used to romance Viconia back in the day...
    never could bring myself to read Aerie's banters, while I liked too much Jaheira relationship with Khalid to even go there...
    AmeerHMkillerrabbit
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I don't really bother with romance very often. I like Aerie, but I think the romance does give too much focus to her trauma rather than the other sides of her character, although it is gratifying and nice when she's gotten all that stuff off her chest and you see her much happier and talking about travelling and adventuring. Don't like ToB with her at all though. Viconia is a somwhat interesting character, but too manipulative and her mood swings more than a lavatory door in a restaurant serving pies made from all the bits of pie leftover from the last year. So, not reelly for me. Jaheira seems like she's intended to be the 'canon' romance and gets more development than the others... but I don't being pushed, so...

So I'll say Neera, even though I've not finished her romance yet. Just, because...
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    OMG!

@Coutelier‌ has voted for Neera. Coutelier...! As soon as @jackjack‌ wrote "Anything but Aerie's" I've though we'll have 2 pages of Coutelier 's brilliant defence of Aerie and somebody's else brilliant offence.

But you've voted for Neera instead. Times are changing indeed
    jackjackNonnahswriter
    bengoshi said:

OMG!

@Coutelier‌ has voted for Neera. Coutelier...! As soon as @jackjack‌ wrote "Anything but Aerie's" I've though we'll have 2 pages of Coutelier 's brilliant defence of Aerie and somebody's else brilliant offence.

But you've voted for Neera instead. Times are changing indeed

I'll defend Aerie, as most the things usually said against her don't have much truth or logic behind them. But not her romance... I've never really liked it. I wouldn't have minded just being her friend and helping her through some stuff, but she's not ready for things like romance yet. She needs to find her own feet first. And I've said several times before, I think the ToB part of her romance was totally ill-conceived.

I haven't tried Rasaad or Dorn yet, at least not all the way to the end. Haven't really played Neera's all the way to the end yet, just looked through all her banters. I voted for her just by process of elimination, since I don't really like the others.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackShikaoCerevant
    I didn't mention Hexxat. I'm actually playing through with her now and my Dark Moon Monk. Although, there are numerous problems with Hexxat anyway. I don't like how Imoen is written as a moron around her, the interaction with Aerie should really have every non-evil NPC lining up to stake her (probably some evil ones as well - who would want that trouble and potential threat around). I don't like how the writing forces into certain decisions that your character wouldn't have necessarily have made, like with Minsc and Boo. When we returned from her first tomb robbing mission for L, a little bit of writing pops up saying how we'd talked and I was finding myself drawn to her... which on this occasion is fine, but not all my female bhaalspawns would. And we'd hardly talked much before.

I guess she's an alright character otherwise, it's just some parts, like her interactions with some of the other NPC's, are not well written or thought through. But I think it may just be that a vampire just doesn't fit at all with your party in BG2. And as for romance... well, we still haven't really said anything at all.
    Ravenslightkillerrabbit
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The lack of amorphous NPC's displeases me. At least Dorn has green skin to make up for it. Hopefully his dialogue bugs will all be fixed in the upcoming patch... :<
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The problem I feel is that in general, Rasaad and Neera, at least, are people with less Incredible Issues then the original four and thus people I'd be more willing to romance (Rasaad has that obsessed with revenge issue, but Viconia and Anomen are emotionally abusive with horrible pasts, Aerie has another horrible past that she's not recovered from, and Jaheira just freakin lost her husband and is having traumatic dreams about him while being exiled from a group she's been part of for years and defines part of herself around), but the four new romances are not nearly as indepth as the original four. I mean, no master wraith banter? Bah!

So I really can't choose. I like Rasaad the best, but his romance arc just isn't long enough (and I don't want seven sons and to be killed by random 3.5 FR Villain they're constantly pushing). The best romance is probably one of the original four, but... honestly, they all need therapy more then they need romance.

So I'll stick with mods, mostly.
    seekaApocryphaKidCarnivalAndreaColombo
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    There's something about Jaheira's romance that bugs me, namely that the guy's not even wormfood yet and you're already chasing, by comparison to yourself, a child. Namely, Jah has long been Gorion's friend.

Sure, the elf gals are older than the druid by at least double, but their species ages that much slower compared to plot aging bhaalspawn. Jaheira would be good 10+ years older biologically and mentally if it weren't for fantasy races.

Maybe I'm crazy... or wrong, but lady, take some time to get over him, otherwise you'd do the same to me when I die.
    killerrabbit
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Viconia's Romance is the most appealing to me because its constant conflicts , it's a love-hate relationship and all the Underdark plot seems to be part of it. I love Viconia's ToB ending, also.
    Ravenslightkillerrabbit
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2014
    Man-wise - Rasaad. So my type, and the guy is just too cute and goofy for words. I adore him.

Woman - wise - Jaheria. As she was my very first romance in the game. She's so real, flawed and sarcastic she feels like a real person.

Overall, as a straight gal I'd go Rasaad ; he's too fun not to tease mercilessly.

Right now I'm going through an evil playthrough and somehow wound up with Dorn rather than Viconia. Oh well. My poor little evil (slightly illegal) cleric/ mage never saw the big half orc blackguard coming. For a dude with 14 constitution he sure worked my poor Bhaalspawn hard >.<.
    elementbooinyoureyes
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2014
    you get a drink in a pub together

plus she will sleep with charname at incredibly inappropriate times

I like most of them to a degree though, excluding Hexxat ofcourse
    killerrabbit
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Bah! I meant to vote Jaheira but I spazzed.

I also really like Aerie though. I just prefer Jaheira mostly because of what Bengoshi already said.

My second favorite is actually Anomen most likely... I dunno, he just seems to be the character that actually grows the most in the game, and romancing him shows you more of that.
    RavenslightelementJuliusBorisov
  • BleuCelesteBleuCeleste Member Posts: 14
    Viconia. I think it is the romance that most intensifies the feeling of "us vs. the world".
    Ravenslightkillerrabbit
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Strange... no one else is into half-orcs here? Now I feel special.

A bold choice.
    Ravenslightjackjack
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited July 2014
    I have a lot to say about my choice...

But it can be summed up to one sentence.

Aerie is into Gnomes with a big pair of turnips.
    jackjack said:

Anything but Aerie's, really.

What! Blasphemy!

You try and get any of the other ladies to romance you! Not gonna happen. Size issues prevail! I tell them its what you do with it that counts!

But stuffed turnip in a radish sauce just didn't work...
    elementElrandirJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Just because I can date a particular woman, doesn't mean I ought to.
    So sayeth the wise Alaundo
    ElrandirAmeerHMJuliusBorisov