Skip to content

20th Discussion Special: What is the Single Most Awesome Moment in the Baldur's Gate Saga

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    For me, probably the first time I encountered Firekraag in all his glory. This is a D&D game, and there is something special about a red dragon unleashed.

Other highlights include:

The original (vanilla) videos for BG1, particularly the opening cutscene that slows into the game logo, and kobolds at Nashkell (as with restartitis, I saw that one a lot!)

Finding the Tome of Leadership and Influence for the first time, as I am a stats munchkin.
    Finding the Manual of Dexterity, and realizing there must be a Tome for each stat!

Realizing that 20 Con allowed a character to regenerate, the D&D rules were being modeled faithfully, even in corners we should not expect to reach!

Gaining a keep in BG2, and tying that back to the original D&D rules that a character reaching 'named level' (usually where they gain their last hit die) can build a stronghold.

Most of my observations are rules based, as restartitis means I never got a clean, unspoiled run at the plot. Firekraag will always stand out as the crowning achievement because of that.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Ygramul Actually, they reload *after* they do the quest for you.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

@Ygramul Actually, they reload *after* they do the quest for you.

Well, it's been a decade since I went that far. (You see I only no-reload myself now...)

I think it would have been funnier my way. :)
    "For my amusement, for my curiosity, and for the memory of transgessions long since passed; all of which spurned me on, but to tell the truth....I grow *bored* with you.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The cut-scene where Irenicus is dragged into the lake of fire. I don't think there's ever been a better ending of a game than that. It just felt so good to finally take that arrogant bastard down!
    Gotural said:

When I discovered this forum.

Doesn't really count as a moment in the Baldur's Gate SAGA, but I'll give you points for that.

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    In ToB, Jan Jansen's rant about being a god after defeating Amelyssan. Absolutely wonderful.

Honorary mention goes to the orc soldier in Saradush who says, "I told you to clear these gates! You brought this on yourself!" The conviction in his voice was excellent.

As for SoA and and BG, I'll have to get back to you. I can't comment on ToSC since I never beat it.

In ToB, Jan Jansen's rant about being a god after defeating Amelyssan. Absolutely wonderful.

Honorary mention goes to the orc soldier in Saradush who says, "I told you to clear these gates! You brought this on yourself!" The conviction in his voice was excellent.

As for SoA and and BG, I'll have to get back to you. I can't comment on ToSC since I never beat it.

TOSC doesn't count as a seperate game

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514

TOSC doesn't count as a seperate game

True, but if it has a separate/extra title I like to think it is in a way. It makes me feel like I'm going on another grand adventure, although after hearing stories about Durlag's Tower I'm not sure it's the kind of adventure I'd be too happy to go on =p
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Killing a dragon for the first time. :)

The voice acting in the dream where Imoen/Bhaal essence tells you about your slayer power.

Persuading a drunken mercenary captain to betray her wizard bosses/Neera's BG2 romance.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    It's a tie between these three for me:

- Finding out that you can date a bunch of your party members in BG2.
    - Finding out that thanks to mods I don't have to date Anomen.
    - Unleashing a horde of mad wizards on Irenicus.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    "My hotel's as clean as an elven arse!"

Best opening line ever.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    My first Firkraag kill is definitely a top moment.. followed by the seconds after my first kill of Firkraag when I realized that Disintegrate wasn't a very smart move, so I had to do it all over again...

And the conversation options with Bassilus with Xar in your party.. ;)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    First time I became the Slayer and "accidentally" ROFL-stomped Jaheira.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    First time you drop Firkraag is also pretty sweet.... After all, the chance to kill the occasional dragon is why we play!

(The Shadow Dragon doesn't count, as it's just a mute-brute... The Big F is a genuine, malicious antagonist.)
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    The first time I was fast enough to backstab Saemon Havarian to chunks in ToB :D
  • TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    It's really tough to pick one moment that stands out when the series has so many of them, although I do have a few that really stood out for me.

1. The cutscene involving Irenicus when you exit his dungeon really got me hooked on the game.

2. Finally piecing together the story of Irenicus and Bodhi and why they wanted to destroy Suldanesselar.

3. That other cutscene that involves Ellesime where she shows you Irenicus killing the elves on the Tree of Life, especially the part where he double disintegrates two elves at the same time (I really wanted to be able to do that with a character).

4. As others have said, finding out that Firkraag is a Red Dragon and the finally managing to kill him.

5. Completing all of Watchers Keep for the first time.

6. Finding out that Melissan was the villain in ToB was a huge moment for me. For some reason I didn't piece it together even though it was obvious, and I think that was partially because of the cinematic at the end of SoA that shows the robed men around the table. I kept expecting those guys to show up in ToB, so that's probably why the Melissan thing threw me off guard.

7. I also found that Abazigal was a very tough boss fight, more so than Draconis, so beating him for the first time was huge for me as well.

8. The Yoshimo betrayal was probably the most wtf moment for me in SoA as was taking his heart to the temple.

There are probably more significant moments, but the ones I mentioned above were the ones that really made me love the series.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

The first time I was fast enough to backstab Saemon Havarian to chunks in ToB :D

You are now officially my hero O_O
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm not sure about "awesome", but finally getting to kill Saemon Havarian was possibly the most satisfying achievement. I hate that treacherous sneaky b@stard!

For awesomeness, it's difficult to pick a single incident, there's lots of awesomeness in the BG games ... but maybe, as several others have suggested, that first discovery of who Firkraag really is, that was pretty "Wow!" By that stage when I first played, I remember I was thinking "I've seen lots of dungeons, but where are the dragons?" ... and then I found out! ... and five minutes later I found out why the game doesn't include any dragons until you've had a chance to build up some levels. Yeah, Firkraag was pretty awesome.
    Tolben said:

7. I also found that Abazigal was a very tough boss fight, more so than Draconis, so beating him for the first time was huge for me as well.

I know it's been a while, but I really think it would be fun to continue this thread.
    Also, I also felt that Draconis was much more difficult than Abazigal

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, its pretty much universal that Draconis is harder. Abazigal for most parties is pretty straightforward, though mods can change things a bit.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    The time when I played original BG2 with my best friend on MP. My gritty, CE dwarf Fighter Grimmdane weilding axes and maces and his elven mage, the times we just hung out in the Copper Coronet and drank brewskies, the time we took Pimlico's estate as our own house, etc. The time we killed a lich hidden behind a secret door in a tavern at very low levels without (too) much cheese. Traps were employed though :blush:

I've played many times after that, but nothing reaches the peak of enjoyment that MP session brought. The game felt ten times more alive when shared with a friend. Too bad we never finished that run. We played through the NVN saga using the same characters though and still text eachother 'in character' every now and then. We're kinda nerdy in that way, hehe..
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Killing Kangaxx with flashers. That was just silly.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    When I found the man with the miniature giant space hamster.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    When I watched my dad fight his way through the gnoll stronghold. He blew right through them, and afterwards, when I started playing, I never thought of gnolls as tough opponents.