Skip to content

Max Total Roll ?????

Hi everyone

When we create a character before starting a new game, in the step where we have to allocate ability points, there is a button called "ReRoll", every time i press the button, the game automatically allocate ability points but "Total Roll" goes up and comes down randomly. I want to know what is the maximum "Total Roll" that could be generated by pressing "ReRoll" button, so i can stop pressing the button when i reach the maximum value. Because i want to get the best deal out of this. XD

I also attached a screenshot. (You might need to use latest version of WinRAR to unRAR the image)

Comments

• jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    if this dependent of the class of the character i am creating, then which class has better chance of getting all of 108 points?
    Oatwillie
    @GreenWarlock
    Thanks for your explanation. :-)
    Hey, what about 18/XX strength??? XX is not always the same number!!!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Quartz said:

XX is between 01-100, 100 being best.

Why don't you simply say it's a 00 to 99 field where 99 means 100 and 00 means 01? The field being empty is treated as 00, which means you just get 18 STR and not 18/XX STR.
    jahes64JuliusBorisov
    Thanks for answers.

Another question:

Does it make any difference if i use EE keeper to modify my stats after creating my PC? (i tried to re-roll until i get a total of 92 rolls, but it took quite some time and i accidentally skipped my best chance which was higher than 92 :-\ )
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    decado said:

Welcome to stat rolling. Those oldies amongst us didn't use to have the roll total so used to manually add each roll ourselves.

My best roll is 102 - and that's from at least 15 years of playing.

You roll 3 6-sided dice as often as there are stats, there is never a need to roll them for all stats simultaneously.

3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?

You don't roll 18d6, that's just silly and asking for trouble xD
    jahes64
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    jahes64 said:

Thanks for answers.

Another question:

Does it make any difference if i use EE keeper to modify my stats after creating my PC? (i tried to re-roll until i get a total of 92 rolls, but it took quite some time and i accidentally skipped my best chance which was higher than 92 :-\ )

No, it doesn't :)
    jahes64
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Yeah EEKeeper is fine for changing character stats.
    jahes64
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Franpa said:

decado said:

Welcome to stat rolling. Those oldies amongst us didn't use to have the roll total so used to manually add each roll ourselves.

My best roll is 102 - and that's from at least 15 years of playing.

You roll 3 6-sided dice as often as there are stats, there is never a need to roll them for all stats simultaneously.

3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?
    3d6=?

You don't roll 18d6, that's just silly and asking for trouble xD
    Not sure what you are saying there. I've probably spent more time rolling stats across the years than is really healthy. I've also played plenty of PnP so I'm up to speed on how stat rolls work ;)
    jahes64CaptRory
    @everyone who replied
    Thanks for your replies.
    Now i will simply use EE Keeper instead of wasting my times in hours doing tiresome work of rerolling dices. :-)
    JuliusBorisov
    I prefer to have a least some legitimacy in actually having made a certain roll rather than making it up. Give this a go;

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bg-2-ee-autoroller-v4/p1
    jahes64MERLANCE
  • BajeDadBajeDad Member Posts: 9
    It is fairly easy to roll a 94 or higher if you have any patience and do not suffer from carpal tunnel. 600 re-rolls should take not longer than 7 minutes, assuming you can re-roll 100 times a minute (without inadvertently re-rolling past a good roll). That will give you 18 in everything, except 4+ in your dump stat. Use the "Store roll" feature to keep your best roll on tap.
    jahes64
    edited September 2014
    @decado
    Thanks for the link.
    i got a nice 96 roll from that tool after some minutes. :-)

i think that 18/XX strength thing is quite irrelevant though, since from what i understand, XX depend on total roll and so you get better percentage from more total rolls!
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Also note that the extra % on strength is rolled only for fighter classes (fighter/paladin/ranger/barbarian) and is not relevant for other characters. Similarly, it is not relevant for half-orcs, who can start with 19 strength, which is 'one better' than 18/00.

The percentile is an extra bonus for fighters, and does not count towards the displayed stats total.

If you hunt around the forum, you will find there is a cheat built into the game to start with all stats at 18 and with 18/00 for strength (even if not a fighter!) I can't remember how to activate it though - you need to change one of the startup files to enter this 'testing' mode. If you are already happy to use EEKeeper though, that might be your preferred solution. The game is a lot less interesting if all of your stats are 25 though ;)
    jahes64dreamriderAgent_X
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    So, what happens if I roll less than 75 total? Does it set the total to 75?
    Way more than half of the rolls should be below 75 but when I tried it only about 20% of the rolls were 75s.
    jahes64
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Azzara Yes, 75 is the minimum roll.

@RafaelLVX‌ Indeed, 00 is the highest STR.
    jahes64
  • Llorrac42Llorrac42 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, let me put my 2 cents in here as an old AD&D vet from well before when many of you were born. I started playing back in 1984 when I was a freshman in high school (ah the old THACO tables - anyone remember those? lol) and the system was this: 3d6 rolled for each stat, only fighter classes get the percentile to strength and the roll for that was 2 ten-sided dice, one for 10's and one for 1's digit.

In today's iteration of the 3.5 edition rules I'm using the old roll-once-and-be-happy method - and then promptly use the cheats to generate the books to raise the stats to what I want (used 25's across the board to run through the game once, now I'm going back and only doing all 18's for dual-classing options). Replayability of this game makes it no big deal for me, my only question is when are they going to get around to updating the other classics, i.e. ToEE/IWD/etc?
    jahes64dreamriderKlorox
    Thanks for the info everyone. :-)
    JuliusBorisov

Make DEX 17 or 18. The Armor Class modifier benefits any character.
    Make CON 18 if you are a warrior class, 15 if you are anything else. You will eventually get a chance to raise the stat a point or two, and more than 16 only benefits warriors.

Great points, I'd like to add addendum's to the above two though.

DEX should always be 18 (or higher) if possible.
    CON is fine as above - unless you are a Dwarf/Gnome/Halfing, then ideally you want this to be 17 (raising to 18) to benefit from the shorty saves bonus.
    jahes64
    @dreamrider
    Nope, i know nothing about pen and paper rules. When original (non-EE) versions of BG got rlsed i was a kid. So far i just played EE versions and liked them.

@dreamrider and @decado
    Thanks for the info. :-)
    JuliusBorisov
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Don't forget that your character will not suffer any penalties for having stats in the following ranges: str 8 - 15, dex 10 - 14 (13 - 14 for thieves), con 8 - 14, int 10 - 14, wis 10 - 14, and chr 10 - 12. Thus, even if you were to roll in the 60s you could still create a character which could qualify to be in most of the classes, especially straight fighter (or its subkits) or cleric. I currently have a triple-class f/m/t going solo through BGEE with stats in this range and despite the fact that he cannot use composite longbows (yet) he isn't doing too badly.
    jahes64meaglothsemiticgoddessIan579