Skip to content

Max Total Roll ?????

Comments

• dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited September 2014
    But I ask you...Would Bhaal leave any of his magical DNA abroad in the world that was not 92+ points proofmarked? Huh? Really? Would he? I mean, the man...er...former-man-devine-being had an ego on him. Only the BEST for HIS legacy/resurrection vessel. ;-D
    jahes64Klorox
  • NexusNexus Member Posts: 19
    Okay, good, I thought that was the case since the initial release of BGEE, but I didn't notice the icon until after 1.3 I think(I haven't played 1.2 in a few months, been sitting around waiting for the patch...)
    jahes64
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Erm ... very interesting, @Nexus and @meagloth.

What's been published before (and I think by members of the official team) is that it's the leader's CHA which counts (regardless of who you select to speak) IF you're in an indoor store/inn/temple (and "leader" means whoever was leader when you entered, even if you re-shuffle once you're inside), but the talker's CHA which counts whenever you're in a public/outdoor area.

So if that's correct, then what you describe is correct behaviour if you're buying at an outdoor stall, but it's a bug if you're getting that result in an indoor store.
    jahes64RAM021PhilhelmYann1989
  • NexusNexus Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2014
    Duly noted. At feldposts inn I had CHARNAME in top spot (CH10) and had imoen talk (CH16?)to feldpost. The composite longbow+1 was 2800 and she still had the lips/mouth icon. It was the same price to CHARNAME.

I went outside and changed it so Imoen was party leader and whoever talked the longbow was 2625 or thereabouts. So the little mouth icon is a bit misleading and I guess means nothing for inside merchants.

EDIT: I switched leaders INSIDE feldposts inn and the price changes would take effect accordingly.

jahes64RAM021
  • windspinwindspin Member Posts: 20
    I settled for a 75 roll because I lucked out on a 18/00 w/ 19 con. for my axe-throwing dwarf berzerker (battlerager)

It can be more gratifying for me to leave the rolls unaltered. This build also includes terrible dex, but I threw the gloves his way and he is doing great. Roll of 75, but otherwise max str, 18 dex and 19 con which will be 20 before long.
    Philhelm
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Erm ... very interesting, @Nexus and @meagloth.

What's been published before (and I think by members of the official team) is that it's the leader's CHA which counts (regardless of who you select to speak) IF you're in an indoor store/inn/temple (and "leader" means whoever was leader when you entered, even if you re-shuffle once you're inside), but the talker's CHA which counts whenever you're in a public/outdoor area.

So if that's correct, then what you describe is correct behaviour if you're buying at an outdoor stall, but it's a bug if you're getting that result in an indoor store.

hmmm... this was in Winthrop's inn, so inside. i'll check more thoroughly later.
    jahes64
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    windspin said:

I settled for a 75 roll because I lucked out on a 18/00 w/ 19 con. for my axe-throwing dwarf berzerker (battlerager)

It can be more gratifying for me to leave the rolls unaltered. This build also includes terrible dex, but I threw the gloves his way and he is doing great. Roll of 75, but otherwise max str, 18 dex and 19 con which will be 20 before long.

Max str is 19 not 18/00. You could simply make a Half-ogre and and have a stronger PC. :P
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I rolled an elf archer with a 98 yesterday. I've never seen such a high roll.

Too bad I was just messing around: I've already deleted him. LOL.
    JuliusBorisovjahes64RAM021Agent_X
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2014
    @Klorox Yes, but then you don't get the awesome innate regeneration in BG1.
    jahes64
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    GemHound said:

@Klorox Yes, but then you don't get the awesome innate regeneration in BG1.

Huh?

Isn't it impossible for any Elf to get regeneration?
    jahes64
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Elven dragon disciples for sure can get this (even without the glitch super-bonus Con) assuming they grab the Tome in BG1. They can get a further +3 in BG2 if prepared to take an Evil turn at the end, and take full advantage of Watcher's Keep.
    jahes64
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    I wasted hours and hours rolling and re-rolling until I decided that it's more fun playing with a rounded character. Nowadays I do something like "best of three, reallocate three stat. points max."
    atcDavejahes64
    About the only (minor) advantages to a generation roll over ~95 give to ANY (single-class) character are:
    - improved starting Lore (which is essentially useless for warriors and priests, due to slow progression),
    - improved resistance to Ilythid psychic hits (in a small portion of the sequel),
    - and enhancing the use of Limited Wish/Wish (for mages/sorcerors, late in the sequel).

These are pretty minor effects.

A multi- or dual- class can make effective use of rolls up to ~104. This is another reason that the multiple class options are stronger overall, given that we can re-roll until we have a real hero roll.

Unfortunately, those pesky designers have made us choose our race and class BEFORE we can play with the dice.

Not that I have ever been displeased or blasé about a 98, 99, or 100 roll-up.

(Unfortunately, I didn't get very smart/knowledgeable about some of the secondary choices, like proficiencies, until long after my one and only 100 roll up. Still, its HARD to make a BAD character with a 100 roll-up. :-D )
    jahes64GreenWarlockJuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i rolled that on my 5th or so try for my human fighter/ dualling into a mage at level 7 comboimage
    jahes64KloroxRAM021
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    sarevok57 said:

i rolled that on my 5th or so try for my human fighter/ dualling into a mage at level 7 comboimage

that's amazing. The best fighter roll I have is 95 (STR 18/95) and that took years.
    jahes64Klorox
    You'd probably be better off with more CHA and less WIS. 5 CHA will actually get you negative reactions, unless you always have someone else fronting for you. ...And you can't do that at Candlekeep, for instance, so it will depress your starting resources. After all, your WIS is going to go up from Tomes, etc, more than any other attribute - there is probably NO reason to start it at any greater than 15 for any character that is NOT a cleric, or planning to dual into a cleric.
    jahes64
    this character is meant to be in the back, i always put my mages in the back so 5 charisma is fine, plus you need wisdom for the wish spell i dont feel like carrying potions of wisdom with me, plus it helps for early game lore as well so i can use less identifies
    jahes64
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    sarevok57 said:

So, three comments. First, that is one BUTT ugly fighter. Second, if this is a Fighter, what aid does the INT and WIS give you other than a REALLY tiny lift against Mind Flayers? It's a total waste. Third, Your fighter is good, but prior to getting Back to Candlekeep, you could still have a MUCH more powerful Fighter with a lower roll (and a higher STR percentage).
    jahes64

sarevok57 said:

So, three comments. First, that is one BUTT ugly fighter. Second, if this is a Fighter, what aid does the INT and WIS give you other than a REALLY tiny lift against Mind Flayers? It's a total waste. Third, Your fighter is good, but prior to getting Back to Candlekeep, you could still have a MUCH more powerful Fighter with a lower roll (and a higher STR percentage).
    he is going to dual into a mage at level 7, every time i make characters in bg1 i always think about how they are going to be in bg2, so for a fighter mage, he won't be half bad :)

Kloroxjahes64RAM021
    so i was looking in my old screen shots and i have one where i rolled a 98, i had quite a few 97s, but this is the only 98:image
    JuliusBorisovjahes64atcDaveRAM021
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I knew it! Jansens had relatives in the Baldurs Gate city :)
    jahes64NimranlolienThacoBell
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2014
    I rolled a 97 with my Half Elf Bard (Blade). thats the highest i've seen.

Ended up

Str 18,
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 10
    Chr 17
    OzzyBotkinsjahes64JuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    sarevok57 said:

sarevok57 said:

he is going to dual into a mage at level 7, every time i make characters in bg1 i always think about how they are going to be in bg2, so for a fighter mage, he won't be half bad :)

That makes a bit more sense. I gather you are somewhat of a power gamer then. And that is perfectly fine. Loads of ways to play the game and have fun with it.

I would still suggest that the 18 WIS is a bit of a waste. It doesn't become useful until you are high enough level to cast WISH and then you can merely hoard the Potions of WIS for those few instances. The Higher CHA will be helpful earlier and more consistently in my experience, even if this isn't your 'Party leader'. But either way is fine.
    jahes64
    sarevok57 said:

this character is meant to be in the back, i always put my mages in the back so 5 charisma is fine, plus you need wisdom for the wish spell i dont feel like carrying potions of wisdom with me, plus it helps for early game lore as well so i can use less identifies

Wish is not an issue until very late in the sequel. In the meantime, you should be able to raise WIS minimum of 3, possibly 4 points.
    jahes64
    yep, it will be 21 at the end of bg1
    jahes64