Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced! (Release Date: October 30, 2014)

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    DI is useful in BG, but does anyone really use illusions in IWD? I don't have a good (or complete) enough memory of the game to say.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Is Detect Illusion ever useful? I never put any points into it. No, seriously--never.

It can be ridiculously useful in BG2, able to strip a mage of all his Illusion based defences in an instant (Mislead, Shadow Door, Mirror Image etc...)
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited September 2014
    Nolrog said:

I think I just peed myself a little. I'm really excited to hear this.

See a urologist... leakage isnt right at any age...

Also did not know about detect illusion...how high do you have to get it for it to become useful?
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    Not sure whether to be happy or sad about this announcement. happy cos ID is an awesome game and we now get to play it with kits and full EE awesomeness, but sad because I would like to see beamdog make their own original Infinity engine style rpg.
    anyways looking forward to this release
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Cr4zyJ said:

Nolrog said:

I think I just peed myself a little. I'm really excited to hear this.

See a urologist... leakage isnt right at any age...

Also did not know about detect illusion...how high do you have to get it for it to become useful?
    The higher you have it the faster it succeeds. Aim for 100.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Thief skills are like a percentage, so at 100 many of them are as good as they will ever be. Thief skills that don't benefit from points over 100 are Find/Disarm Traps, Set Traps, Open Locks, and Detect Illusion.

Interesting. I looked at the article you've linked, and while it states that there, I still can't believe 100 open locks and 100 disarm traps are the highest possible skill required for any lock/trap in any BG/IWD game. In my experience places like Durlag's Tower contain several traps that can't be reliably disarmed with a skill of 100 but easily give in to a skill of 150. I've always raised these two skills on my thieves up to 130 or higher. Could I've been wrong to do this throughout all these years? I'll be sure to try and test this on my next playthrough.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    decado said:

It can be ridiculously useful in BG2, able to strip a mage of all his Illusion based defences in an instant (Mislead, Shadow Door, Mirror Image etc...)

I always used True Seeing for that. *shrug* Different play style.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Adul‌ 100 isn't the highest possible score. Hard traps and locks will give you a penalty when you try to disable them.

For instance if you have 100% open locks and try to open a lock that gives you a 40% penalty you only have a 60% chance of opening that lock.

If my memory is not failing you need around 160 to never fail those checks in BG2.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    mlnevese said:

@Adul‌ 100 isn't the highest possible score. Hard traps and locks will give you a penalty when you try to disable them.

For instance if you have 100% open locks and try to open a lock that gives you a 40% penalty you only have a 60% chance of opening that lock.

If my memory is not failing you need around 160 to never fail those checks in BG2.

Which traps are these? because as far as I know every trap has basically only two things when it comes to checks (outside of some sort of critical failure on your roll).

They have a detection difficulty (the value you need in find traps in order to see them) and a removal difficulty (the value you need in Find traps in order to remove them). Nothing about penalties or anything like that.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Darek_DeathDarek_Death Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    You can increase past 100, but all the locks, traps, et cetera are not programmed to require higher than 100. That doesn't mean they are all easy at 100 just that adding more won't effect the difficulty.

If you want to test it @Adul‌ you don't have to do a full play through, use the pregen Thief, then the SetCurrentXP cheat code, then use the go to area cheat code (I remember there being one but can't find it) or use ctrl+J with EnableCheatKeys code to teleport to the end of areas to get there right away, and use CreateItem code if you need it. Save before attempting the trap/lock then Level Up and set the skills to 100 and save a different file try it a few times with them set there then Load the first Save and set them higher than 100 and test it a few times and record the result of each test.

For the cheat codes check Cheat Code Central or anywhere else on the internet.
    http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/baldursgate.html
    Post edited by Darek_Death on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    mlnevese said:

I also heard this some time ago, and it makes more sense to me than what the BG wiki writes on the subject, given my own experience with the game.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Almost all traps and locks will open at 100. Use potions of perception for the one(s?) that don't and put those extra skill points into set traps or detect illusion. AFAIK those skills can only be increased by levelling up or some rare/NPC specific gear.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Woaaaaaaaaah. 0_o

I will pre-order this jewel as soon as came back home. Thanks beamdog, you're the bests. :)

I already have bg:ee and bg2:ee on pc and on ipad, can't wait to have iwd:ee and (maybe one day?) iwd2:ee also on pc and ipad. Keep up the good work!
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    Quick question: I've just pre-ordered IWD and got an email telling me to download the Beamdog client. But I already have BGEE. Will downloading the Beamdog client for IWD mess up my BGEE install?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I knew there was a reason I felt an otherworldly presence pull me back to the forum...and now I know why XD
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Hmm does @TrentOster‌ mean he isn't proud of IWD as it is now ?? I wonder

@Adul I'm sure it will be out way before 2018 ;) but not sure about within a month of the announcement I bet it will take them longer but how much longer who knows ;)
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    My guess would be the finished product hits late November after testing. Now just waiting on that beta invite :'(
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    @Beetle I assume you have it installed through the stand-alone installer? There will probably be one for IWDEE as well.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Beetle said:

Quick question: I've just pre-ordered IWD and got an email telling me to download the Beamdog client. But I already have BGEE. Will downloading the Beamdog client for IWD mess up my BGEE install?

No, if you've already installed BG:EE, then the Beamdog client won't touch your installation; it installs the games in a separate directory inside Program Files / Beamdog / Games, though, so if you don't see the game listed as "ready to play" in the client, that's why.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235

Sjerrie said:

I'm kinda hoping the Grizzly-kit gets to be in the game files... I want to take Wilson's ancestor through the game. :)

While the Grizzly kit looks promising, it may be not that well equiped for Icewind Dale's climate. However, I wouldn't be against having an Polar Bear kit though. Or an Short-Faced Bear kit for that matter.
    I'm sure someone can re-color the bear sprite white. :)