Skip to content

Which of these wacky wizards is the coolest?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
Plot Twist: None of them are D&D

Was checking out that topic about Gandalf on this forum, and realized I wasn't really a fan of his compared to other wizards. Then I got to thinking which wizard (outside of Baldur's Gate of course) was really my favorite. Would like to get a feel for everyone's favorites and maybe discuss why. A lot of choices, so I ended up making two polls, one for witches and one for wizards.

similar poll here for witches: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/35200/who-is-the-wickedest-witch-of-all?new=1
  1. Which of these wacky wizards is the coolest?36 votes
    1. Merlin
      19.44%
    2. Doctor Faustus
        2.78%
    3. Gandalf the Grey/White
      30.56%
    4. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
      13.89%
    5. John Constantine
        2.78%
    6. Albus Dumbledore
        2.78%
    7. Doctor Stephen Strange
        2.78%
    8. Skeletor
      11.11%
    9. Harry Potter
        0.00%
    10. Just show me the results
      13.89%
deltagoNonnahswriterJuliusBorisovkaguanaRavenslightCrevsDaakAnduinlolien

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Nene
    booinyoureyes
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    deltago said:

Nene

CrevsDaak
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    booinyoureyesThe_Potty_1
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I'm going to have to say Merlin, simply because he's the oldest, and a well-known part of the UK's mythology, even though I think he was technically a druid rather than a wizard (I happen to know that "anal na thrak, ust yeth bethud..." is a level 9 divine spell! ;-) ).
    booinyoureyesRavenslight
    @Nonnahswriter‌ have you read Dresden???????????????????
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    "Ram Abbalah, I choose you!"
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490

Say no more!
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyeskaguanaTheGraveDigger
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,497
    edited October 2014
    Merlin is a funny fellow so he is! Running around dressed as a beggar, going mad in the forest with only a little pig for company. Gandalf just sits around with Frodobag puffing on a pipe! I ask you..

Edit - Also, if you choose to take Robert de Boron into the mix, Merlin is a Devil's son, an attempted antichrist!
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Merlin, for his place in the mythology of our islands and also "The Once and Future King" by T.H.White.

@Nonnahswriter have you not been reading the 'Book Geeks Are Here' thread???????
    MoomintrollJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyes
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited October 2014
    "Did you shout 'Parkour'?" Michael asked.
    "Well, sure," I said. "That was kinda Parkour-like."
    Michael fought to keep a smile off his face. "Harry," he said, "I'm almost certain one doesn't shout 'Parkour.' I believe one is supposed to simply do Parkour."
    "Do I criticize your Latin battle cries? No, never once."
    "That is true," Michael said soberly.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesSchneidend
    Radagast the simple, Radagast the fool!
    elementJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]booinyoureyes
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    element said:

Radagast
    The version from the books not the awful film version, has always been my favourite wizard

Alatar & Pallando always fascinated me... Where did they go? What did they do?!
    Sooooo many abortive teen fanfics!
    booinyoureyeselement
    Honestly, the lack of Dumbledore votes is absolutely shocking! Who would have thought that he'd be less popular than Dresden???

I love the Dresden Files, and they are possibly my favorite book series along with Harry Potter (I know, I'm sooooo mainstream like that). There are so many awesome wizards in it, but I couldn't put them all on the list. I felt that only the Harry Potter series and perhaps Tolkien had the gravitas to warrant multiple options, but space was limited.

There is an obvious bias toward wizards I have been exposed to (though my experience with Skeletor is a bit limited, lol) and I apologize for leaving anyone out. I actually considered Radagast, but thought that he was more of a druid than anything else.
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    booinyoureyes
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

Ha, I'm surprised Raistlin wasn't up there. c:

Dumbledore is actually pretty cool. I just think of The Hobbit and go Gandalf.

Yup Raistlin is cool too :)

element
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Not yet, unfortunately. ;_; From what I saw of the tv show on syfy, I thought he was a cool character, but everyone who's read the books tells me the tv show was god-awful, so that makes me really curious about the books. I just have too many things to read and not enough hours in the day. D:
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    dunbar said:

Merlin, for his place in the mythology of our islands and also "The Once and Future King" by T.H.White.

@Nonnahswriter have you not been reading the 'Book Geeks Are Here' thread???????

Last I checked it you guys were talking about R.A. Salvatore, and to be honest, I never actually read any of his works. Soooooo... *awkwardawkward*
    Moomintroll
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I... I'm aghast to see that no one else here voted for Stephen King's greatest wizard character: the Crimson King! Seriously, he's the Eater of Worlds that also happens to be a were-spider! You can't beat that even with a miniature giant space hamsterwere bhaalspawn with the Slayer Form.
    Moomintrollrufus_hobartbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
    Mario Van Peebles, Highlander 3? hmm?
    booinyoureyes

Ha, I'm surprised Raistlin wasn't up there. c:

Dumbledore is actually pretty cool. I just think of The Hobbit and go Gandalf.

Hey @typo_tilly‌ ! You clearly didn't appreciate the plot twist

Plot Twist: None of them are D&D

@Nonnahswriter‌

Not yet, unfortunately. ;_; From what I saw of the tv show on syfy, I thought he was a cool character, but everyone who's read the books tells me the tv show was god-awful, so that makes me really curious about the books. I just have too many things to read and not enough hours in the day. D:
    Show? What show? I have heard vague rumors about a Dresden show and a Baldur's Gate trilogy of novels, but I usually dismiss them as nasty rumors spread by evil forces to sabotage wonderful franchises. They are not to be believed.
    [Deleted User]Nonnahswriter
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I was going to go for the antagonist from "the Dreaming Crystals" by Sturgeon but got totally sold by Mephistopheles :p and choosed Faust.
    booinyoureyeskaguana
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287

I can't criticize the show because I liked it enough to check out the books for the first time. Had the show never aired I might never have read the novels at all.
    Nonnahswriterbooinyoureyes
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited October 2014
    Mustrum Ridcully from Discworld.

Although if I had to pick from this list it'd have to be Merlin. Particularly the incarnation from Disney's Sword in the Stone.
    kaguanaMoomintrollabacus
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Gandolf, staves down.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Although if I had to pick from this list it'd have to be Merlin. Particularly the incarnation from Disney's Sword in the Stone.

HO! The Megapode!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    "Parkour, bitch."
    booinyoureyeskcwise
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Show me the results. I love that guy.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak