Skip to content

Hardest Enemy? Baldurs Gate 2

Now looking for another challenge, this time in BG2. So could i get some opinions for hardest enemy in soa?(:

Comments

• Viconia9Viconia9 Member Posts: 34
    Probably the whole Kangaxx quest. Those lichs are pretty tough. Dragons really aren't that big a deal. Well, except for Draconis, but he doesn't show up until TOB.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Any beholder fight without the shield of cheese, probably. Then of course there watchers keep, but it guess thats not technically SoA.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I'd second the Twisted rune. I think it's the only battle in the whole game that cannot be won on the first try without a metaknowledge. A restricted space, many high-level enemy casters, comes unexpected, beholder rays...

We've had a discussion in one of @Blackraven‌ 's threads about this encounter and have come to a conclusion you just can't win it without metagaming. Even without mods.

Surprisingly, I'd second Ilyich as well. With this mod instead of noon shorties you get tough and smart duergars in every corner, many of which have high AC and good THACO, a decent mage and all this while your party doesn't have necessary stuff. A painful experience.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Dragons, beholders and liches are pretty challenging.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    bengoshi said:

I'd second the Twisted rune. I think it's the only battle in the whole game that cannot be won on the first try without a metaknowledge. A restricted space, many high-level enemy casters, comes unexpected, beholder rays...

We've had a discussion in one of @Blackraven‌ 's threads about this encounter and have come to a conclusion you just can't win it without metagaming. Even without mods.

Surprisingly, I'd second Ilyich as well. With this mod instead of noon shorties you get tough and smart duergars in every corner, many of which have high AC and good THACO, a decent mage and all this while your party doesn't have necessary stuff. A painful experience.

A very high level (tob range, probably a smaller party) might manage it, but yeah, its not remotely reasonable for even a mid-level SoA party. And yeah, the sheer range of opponents really would screw over anyone not crazy prepared. Maybe a high lvl Sorcerer? Eh, probably not without some meta.
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Twisted Rune or the Final Fight before Demogorgon ... Think those are the only ones, that still to this day makes me reload a fair bit of times (Unless I'm playing SCS)
  • TheRaven476TheRaven476 Member Posts: 44
    The toughest general enemy would be “Liches” with Kangaxx being the specific one. (Spoilers) He’s the only fight in SoA/ToB that I felt like I “Cheesed” specifically because unless your modding your party has no other way of dealing with imprisonment (Since your mages won’t have level 9 spells). Even if you understand the fight and have all the best gear, your in a race to burn him down before he tosses out imprisonment which just isn’t going to happen…….. I just used my protection from undead scrolls and protection from Abjuration I think on everyone to get around it. If your Charname or Krogan berserk that might be effective but he has a tendency of just targeting whoever isn’t immune and since it’s such a small room and everyone has to go down the stairs together, there’s not much way of hiding………

All other liches in the game are manageable and quite easy once you understand why what is happening is happening and don’t really require cheese tactics or buffing. Even twisted rune I felt like was pretty easy. But to new players Liches are definitely the “WTF”-iest of all fights. Dragons being second, but those fights are fun.
    Dragons in vanilla are pretty vulnerable to Quivering Palm paired with PW: Reload. Mmm... cheese...
    Well, dragons usually start non-hostile remember, and this will 1 shot them reasonably often. I had fun with it anyways!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    In the unmodded game, you can also Finger of Death Dragons. Potentially casting Doom beforehand... Carsomyr after 1 hour of play, anyone? ¬_¬

Unmodded game:

Kangaxx, Twisted Rune, Demogorgon - neither is a big challenge if you know what you're doing ;)

It may be so, but with any of those (or also Dragons and Beholders) there's a chance of losing a companion or two, so they're still to be considered tough challenges.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    Beholders. The only enemy that can make me rage quit an entire playthrough.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well, or send Korgan in after telling him a beholder said he mother was an Elf lover. ;)

Berzerkers are good at dealing with Beholders, but I'd consider tossing on the Belt of Inertial Barrier and make sure you're raged. And support wih ranged.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    The battle against Irenicus, in Suldanessellar, was the hardest battle for me. In the second place, it would be Ullithids.
    edited October 2014

So I just lay traps at his feet. >:)

Unmodded BG in a nutshell ¬_¬

Traps, Spike Traps in particular, are just very, very silly. Be it dragons, bosses, or beholders, Ol' Spiky blows them to bits just the same. Completely fair.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2014
    Now that you've mentioned Irenicus in Suldanesselar, I was wondering who designed his AI, because his spells are used in a way that is much smarter than most liches in the game.

So I just lay traps at his feet. >:)

Unmodded BG in a nutshell ¬_¬

Traps, Spike Traps in particular, are just very, very silly. Be it dragons, bosses, or beholders, Ol' Spiky blows them to bits just the same. Completely fair.

Well, I kinda agree if you are metagaming pretty hard (ie you know where Shangalar will spawn, and heap Skull Traps where you wouldnt normally consider it), but I don't think traps are inherently that bad. If you have a smart thief, he ought to be thinking about where enemies are likely to show up and be crazy prepared, ie Irenicus' second fight.

I agree trapping under a dragon is a bit comical, but couldn't you be a bit discreet about it maybe? How obvious is trap setting? Also, dragons are incredibly arrogant... they might well be ignoring you. Still seems a bit too cheesey though for my tastes.
    DreadKhan said:

Still seems a bit too cheesey though for my tastes.

It's so cheesy a winery called for a co-op deal.

Even if you about it "fairly", Spike Traps are anything but. You can plant down a few and lure enemies into them - 20d6 no-save no-questions-asked damage per trap will eat ANYTHING alive within seconds. "Oh this is a dragon lair, I bet there's a dragon somewhere... let's just put down some traps here, poke the ol' lizard, and run like hell." Makes total sense RP-wise, and will oneshot the dragon easily.

But yeah, that's just a side-note to the discussion, and it's inherently linked to other issues like the metagaming you mentioned. It's very hard to be thoroughly "fair" in an RP-sense, because your options and information are more limited in BG than they would be in say a PnP setting. That's just something you have to live with.

That being said, you don't even need a lot of metagaming to kick the vanilla game's butt. A sorceror, for example, can be a walking toolbox that can annihilate any enemy at will, even without prior knowledge. Things like Kensai->Mage are similar, they just punch so hard they leave a crater, and screw the details. Just some of the options available ;)

I'd like to take this opportunity to shamelessly plug some of the better difficulty-enhancing mods, first and foremost among them SCS. While it's been criticized by some of the PnP orthodoxy, I think it's a great balance between PnP "logic" and video game enjoyment for anyone who's played BG more than once or twice. CHALLENGE YOURSELVES!
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    I'd say Beholders since they come in large groups, permanently kill party members (shattered statues), can cast imprisonment and instantly kill any summons (vs you can just wear down mindflayers with an army of skeletons) without sharing the lich's vulnerability to a weapon the game shoves in your face very early on