Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Pibaro I installed it to the default location that came up when I ran the .exe under Program Files. It added a icon to my desktop and I used that to run it.
    I followed the directions and can edit my saves but EEkeeper isnt saving the game profiles.

I'm on Windows. I tried to run it as an administrator but that didn't help.
    Troodon80BelgarathMTH
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @BelgarathMTH‌ @ronaldo‌,

Are the profiles not being added to the list?
    BelgarathMTH
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @ronaldo‌
    Try to unzip the program in a custom folder i.e. c:\eekeeper and try to launch it from there.
    BelgarathMTHronaldoTroodon80
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just to confirm all works fine for me, profiles and all.
    jackjackTroodon80
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Troodon80 said:

Sjerrie said:

Teeny tiny issue with the drop-down menu for kits in the 'characteristics' screen... Multiple shadowdancers show up. :)

I was actually looking for 'trueclass', but that was luckily still recognizable by the 0x40000000 value (though still called shadowdancer in text).

That was working before I uploaded. I'll need to take a look at the game tomorrow.
    You can manually set the kits from Shadowdancer to 0x00 Unknown Value. Is this a good workaround at this time?

Also, any future plans to add Character Biography as an editable field in EE Keeper, just for quick changes?

Thanks a lot for all your work. Great utility.
    Troodon80
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2014
    @Troodon80‌ , no, the profiles are not being added to the list. It may be relevant that I am running the program from the desktop directly from the .rar utility. I'll try extracting it into its own folder and see if that helps.

EDIT: Okay, that worked. Thanks. I've always run Keeper directly from the .rar file with no problems, but for whatever reason, the new multi-EE version will not save profile settings when operated that way. Extracting the entire contents of the .rar by way of "Select All" and "Extract to..." and putting it into its own folder solved the problem for me.

Again, kudos to you for getting the IWD:EE compatible version out on the same day of release. You're a saint. :)
    PibarodiggerbTroodon80
    edited October 2014
    @BelgarathMTH, previous version of Keeper saved and loaded its settings to and from the registry. New versions save to a configuration INI file (to allow for a greater degree of portability). I cannot remember right now, but I think I have the archive set to solid (I did this for the SFX archive since there's no real reason to modify it once it has been created), which means that the INI file that is created when Keeper launches will not be added to the archive. Running from its own folder is the way it was intended.

@HaHaCharade, I'll get an updated version out over the weekend for the kit issue. Or today. Not sure. Depends on how much time I have. For your question, however, if you use the Set Value button, you can see which value is which (True/Base Class is 0x40000000, so is the Generalist Mage (both are called Shadowdancer, and that's what I need to fix), and Shadowdancer is 0x40210000). To answer your second question: yes, it is planned (when, however, is a different question). :-)
    BelgarathMTHHaHaCharaderonaldo
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Troodon80 @Pibaro I was at work so just getting back to this now. I did as Pibaro said and moved the install to a new folder on its own and that seems to have worked.

@Troodon80 Since I just used the install folder that EEKeeper picked for me when I ran the .exe I wonder if that is something you can change to avoid this coming up in the future?

Thanks for the help @Pibaro and thanks for all your hard work making this awesome program @Troodon80
    PibaroTroodon80
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Troodon80‌ Just a curiosity. Does EEKeeper know about the beta paths? I had to manually enter all the paths.
    jackjack
  • igotsmeakabob11igotsmeakabob11 Member Posts: 19
    I'm definitely missing something, is installation different with the Steam version? It's telling me that it couldn't find a valid game installation and to ensure that the path is set correctly. Where do we extract it to with Steam's install?
  • ShadowhawkeShadowhawke Member Posts: 15
    THANK YOU!

I was wondering how I could create my original party back in the days.

I was trying to load an old saved game from the original Icewind Dale.

EE KEEPER to the rescue!
    PibaroTroodon80
    I've uploaded a fix for Shadowdancer issue. If someone can test to make sure it works, that would be great. Links are still the same, it just needs to be re-downloaded.

I wanted to keep the backwards compatibility with the original Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal for as long as possible—some people do still prefer the original with a mod assortment. Since Shadow Keeper was originally designed for Shadows of Amn, I'm not one to want to break that compatibility. The fix actually took a little while longer than I expected due to the difference between the original Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal and the Enhanced Editions. Basic example: the IDS entry for Cavalier in the original is 0x8, but in the Enhanced Editions it is 0x4004. The 2DA unusable column is 0x00000008 in the original and the Enhanced Editions, which matches just fine for the original but not so fine with the Enhanced Editions.

It was somewhat broken due to the cross-referencing I'm doing in order to pull the appropriate IDs and translations for kits (specifically my workaround for the Conjurer kit being 0x4080 under KIT ID instead of the appropriate 0x0080)—the last profile I tested on the ensure compatibility was the original (and it worked fine); that's why I didn't spot this before the update.
    mlnevese said:

Just a curiosity. Does EEKeeper know about the beta paths? I had to manually enter all the paths.

@mlnevese, EE Keeper doesn't know about any path. Unlike the original games, the Enhanced Editions do not appear to store anything in the Windows registry (presumably the developers behind the code decided they didn't need it since it is now cross-platform). Short of a complete system scan looking for chitin.key, the only way to know the path is the enter it manually.

I'm definitely missing something, is installation different with the Steam version? It's telling me that it couldn't find a valid game installation and to ensure that the path is set correctly. Where do we extract it to with Steam's install?

@igotsmeakabob11, you can extract EE Keeper anywhere, but the Steam installation directory should look something like this:

E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\[Game Name]\
    Replace '[Game Name]' with the appropriate game you want to load the resources for. Example:
    E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\

I was trying to load an old saved game from the original Icewind Dale.

EE KEEPER to the rescue!

@Shadowhawke, I cannot make any guarantees that EE Keeper will work with the original Icewind Dale—if it does, it is only a coincidence and was certainly not intentionally done.
    mlnevesePibaroJuliusBorisov
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @Shadowhawke if loading it in EEKeeper doesn't work, you could try loading the vanilla save in Near Infinity as an external file. It's nowhere near as user-friendly as EEKeeper is (and it can be a pain in the a$$ to get working at all) but maybe you can get enough information out of the save to re-roll your old characters.
    Troodon80
  • SgthawkerSgthawker Member Posts: 31
    @Troodon80 Very well done again sir! On the release day, updates for Icewind Dale you are the man.

BTW, remembers all profiles for BG:EE, BGII:EE, and IWD:EE with no problem...!
    PibaroTroodon80Sjerriejackjack
  • alexlouresptalexlourespt Member Posts: 1
    I'm having some issues with the creation of Multiclass Characters with Kits for Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition, using EE Keeper v1.0.2.5.

I create an Elf Fighter/Mage without any kits and proceed in this manner:

-In the editor, under "Characteristics" I add the Kensai Kit;
    -In "Innate" abilities I add the Kensai abilities from level 1 to 1, this creates the Spell Kai (Resource SPCL144)
    -In "Effects" I add the Kensai Kit effects from level 1 to 1, creating resources SPCL142 and SPCL143

Entering the game I see that my character has the Kit in the "Record" Menu along with Mage, both level 1 with 0 experience. There's also the -2 armor class bonus in effect. Don't know If there's anything I should notice but everything else seems to be just fine EXCEPT under Special Abilities there is nothing. Can't even *click* the Icon since it's gray.

When I finally reach level 4 and I receive an extra "Kai" (not really extra since it wasn't there before) it's possible to use it, moreover I can add a second one in the editor and have the correct 2 uses per day for a level 4 Kensai. From levels 1 to 3 I have an incomplete Kensai.

Same thing goes for my Berserker/Druid that stays without the "Berserker Rage" until level 4.

I don't know about the Berserker/Druid since it's the first time I try it but I played through Baldur's Gate I & II + Baldur's Gate I & II EE with a Kensai/Mage using the method described above using ShadowKeeper and EE Keeper.

Anyone else having the same problem? Am I doing something wrong? Will there be a fix for this?

Thank you in advance.

PS: It would be really great If you could also add compatibility for all possible kit class combinations. ie, Assassin/Mage with correct number of points on level up for the Thief Skills (15 skill points only).
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    @‌ i have encountered two issues
    first, i use the installer on windows and on windows the default location for installtion is "c:\programs\..." the problem is, when you try to save settings in that directory it will only work when starting the programm whith admin rights. There are several ways to avoid this, but maybe its the easiest way to force admin rights on startup.

the second ist more a feature request the an issue, but it makes me crazy...
    On the setup window if you pressed on "browse" it will ever start in the same directory, even if you have choose a directory before.
    just some explanation to that ;) Dirst you choose the gamepath...depp on your filesystem...and then comes the moment when you realised that it is the beamdog game and you choose the wrong path -.-* ...and you click on browse again...and need to click down several folders again...
    (and the same when i add a new game, it would be much easier to start in the path of the first game, because the new game is most likely in the near of the old game^^)

• igotsmeakabob11igotsmeakabob11 Member Posts: 19
    @Troodon80‌
    Thanks, I think I got it working!
    Troodon80
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    edited November 2014
    @alexlourespt Check out the "memorisation"-tab for your characters. It might be that the amount of innate spells you can "memorize" isn't automatically set correctly.

(Welcome to the forums by the way!)
    Troodon80jackjack
    edited November 2014
    @alexlourespt,

From levels 1 to 3 I have an incomplete Kensai.

Same thing goes for my Berserker/Druid that stays without the "Berserker Rage" until level 4.

Anyone else having the same problem? Am I doing something wrong? Will there be a fix for this?

It is a known issue in Keeper; if you do not have any innate abilities to start with, the memorisation block does not contain innate memorisation. It's an easy fix—as in, I know what the issue is and where it is, the problem is finding the time to fix it since it is quite well embedded in a lot of other code (code which, quite frankly, probably doesn't need to be there—e.g. spell memorisation checker; which, incidentally, has never worked very well). I'll probably fix it as part of the next version. Maybe. :-)

PS: It would be really great If you could also add compatibility for all possible kit class combinations. ie, Assassin/Mage with correct number of points on level up for the Thief Skills (15 skill points only).

Unfortunately, what abilities/stats are allowed or assigned on level up is less to to with Keeper and more to do with the game. While Keeper allows you to make these modifications to get non-standard class and kits, they are not considered 'legal' by the game.

@tommy, I'll take a look at the SFX archive/installer on the next version. Program Files is one of the few paths that doesn't change on Windows, and I generally avoid installing something into the Documents directory. Luckily, however, you can change the path with the installer. :-)

As for the Browse issue, I will take a look at that. I'll be honest, it's a feature I rarely use myself since I tend to copy the location directly from the Explorer window into the appropriate text box. What I did include this time around, however, was an auto-complete feature for both text boxes. I'll see if there's a more eloquent way to handle to browse folder dialog.

Folder browser now goes to the last selected folder. That'll be merged into 1.0.2.6. :-)
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    jackjack
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited November 2014
    EDIT: Just downloaded this.

Ahem.

Any Icewind Dale-specific things you plan to do with this beyond what's been released?
    Post edited by Endarire on
  • ahgwhoahgwho Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Hello! I'm having an issue with the language selection. I'm on win 7 64bit, GOG version(chitin/baldur.exe/save files are all in the same main folder) and my directory is C:Baldurs Gate II. As far as the directory goes, I've tried it on desktop and program86 with no luck. I also tried the EEKeeper version before this one. The odd thing is, on the current version, I'm not able to scroll down and see the available language in the select directory screen. It's just blank and I receive errors when manually typing it in or adding it in with the INI. I've also tried copy/pasting the ini from the first page and it works if I cut out the language section. Oh, and I adjusted the INI with the correct directory information each time. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
    *Edit* I forgot to mention that I've tried everything with admin priv and without it.
    @ahgwho,

When using the original Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, do not select a language (as you noted, it's blank). In the current version, it scans the 'lang' folder (changing languages in-game is a feature from the Enhanced Editions, not the original). If no lang folder exists, it is assumed that you only have one language and it is located in the same folder as the executable (the installation directory). The original game installed only one TLK file at a time, so there is no lang folder for the game.

In other words, select a language from the list; if the list is blank after setting up the game path then there is nothing to do. :-)
    @Endarire, if there is anything specific to Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition beyond the other Enhanced Editions, then perhaps. At the current time, however, I still want to finish implementing already missing features (sound sets, for example).
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What I'd really like to see is a Sorcerer multiclass and dual class.
  • VihyungrangVihyungrang Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Just installed it. extracted the shebang into the folder where my BG2:EE is. Used the SFX installer, same destination.(version1.0.2.5, in both cases) ran the thingy from the icon on my desktop, and after an error went to change things from the installation directory settings as instructed. Picked a profile name at random and hit add, changed the installation directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\, picked english from the language list, put the same path into the user save data directory field, hit apply and ok. THe program does the little load bar thingy.

I clicked to open saved game, but the list is empty. What am I missing?
    @Vihyungrang,

put the same path into the user save data directory field

For the save games from the Enhanced Editions, you will need to use the Documents directory and not the installation directory in your Steam folder. Example:
    C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    Using the installation path for the save data is only needed when using Keeper to edit the original Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal.
  • Zirus_BlackheartZirus_Blackheart Member Posts: 46
    Argh!

it doesn't matter if i have the star at the top of the page checked(lit) or unchecked(not lit), i still get spammed with notifications from this thread :-(
  • VihyungrangVihyungrang Member Posts: 2
    Troodon80 said:

@Vihyungrang,

put the same path into the user save data directory field

For the save games from the Enhanced Editions, you will need to use the Documents directory and not the installation directory in your Steam folder. Example:
    C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    Using the installation path for the save data is only needed when using Keeper to edit the original Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal.
    Works now, thank you.
  • ahgwhoahgwho Member Posts: 2
    I completely uninstalled/reinstalled, including all my mods lol and now it works! Thanks for the quick response.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Endarire said:

What I'd really like to see is a Sorcerer multiclass and dual class.

Not something that EE Keeper or any mod can do.
    jackjack