Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• Simon_StillwaterSimon_Stillwater Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone know (I think it is so crucial that not knowing it puts me in a pretty noobish spot) if a main class' abilities have effect on subclasses' abilities?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    edited November 2014

Hmm, Arundel has never given me any such dialogue choices after speaking to the ogre and going to Kuldahar. Are you sure you don't have to have a druid or ranger speak to Arundel to get the option? I usually speak to him with a paladin or fighter in the lead of my party, and there's no option to tell him about the ogre.

Can anyone post a screenshot of the relevant dialogue and what class did the talking?
    You have to talk to him a second time after you agree to help him.
    I don't think it really matters who talks to him though, as my MC is an FMT, though it might be an alignment based dialogue and I usually play NG characters.

http://i.imgur.com/bNK4JaY.png
    PibaroJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @TheCoffeeGod‌ , thanks, that did the trick. I didn't think about talking to him a second time after he gave the initial quest.
    PibaroJuliusBorisov
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I took a look at the dialogue files. There is no prerequisite for the dialogue option other than having talked to Arundel and Ghereg at least once. Oh, and Ghereg needs to be alive of course. ;)
    JuliusBorisov

This has been bugging me for a bit, now that I figured out how fix Ghereg's problem in the Kuldahar Pass.

So, there's a Goblin Marshal on the Mill who is also complaining about his head hurting.
    Is there a way to fix that like we did Ghereg, or do we just leave him alone or kill him?

So now that we clarified fixing Ghereg's problem, back to my initial question.
    What about the Goblin Marshal on the Mill?

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @TheCoffeeGod‌ , I think that the goblin marshal cannot be healed. Arundel's remedy is specifically stated in the dialogues to work only for ogres. You must decide for the goblin marshal whether it is more merciful to let him live with his head in chronic pain, or to put him out of his misery. I don't think the game cares either way. He's probably worth about 20 xp and junk if you kill him, and nothing if you leave him to his headache.

As a lawful good being leaning neutral, I would prefer that there had been a cure for him, but, oh well. At least we got the one mission of mercy for a being normally considered inherently evil by definition.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AodenAoden Member Posts: 65
    Greetings! Sorry for my English, but I have a question. May I copy some localization in android version ID:EE?
    Thank you!
  • AlexandreAlexandre Member Posts: 8
    Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Scimitars for some reason look like long swords in both the item screen and in-game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Does anyone know (I think it is so crucial that not knowing it puts me in a pretty noobish spot) if a main class' abilities have effect on subclasses' abilities?

Hello, @Simon_Stillwater‌ , and welcome to the forum. If you could be more specific about the certain class/kit you're talking about, it would help. Because as a general rule, all abilities of the class can be used by its kits, but there're certain kits that act differently and give different - sometimes absolutely different - gaming experience.

For e.g., a Blackguard differs a lot from a Paladin (an evil alignment, completely different abilities), a Shadowdancer differs a lot from a Thief (an ability to hide in plain sight and an inability to set traps), a Kensai differs a lot from a Fighter (an inability to wear an armour).
    lolien
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    I know that monsters on HoF have ton HP, but what other stats change? AC, attack?

EDIT
    I did some research and it seems that in IwD monsters get only increased HP on HoF. It's IwD2 where they become truly monstrous on HoF.
    However, I would still welcome a definite answer, so I can continue planning teams while waiting for the game =D
    Post edited by Shikao on
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    I'm sorry if this has been asked, but does charisma get you extra rewards/items like it does in baldurs gate?
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but does charisma get you extra rewards/items like it does in baldurs gate?

It gives you extra dialogue options that would not be available else... But items??
    lolien
    Cluas said:

It gives you extra dialogue options that would not be available else... But items??
    I think he's talking about things like Fuller's crossbow bolt fetch quest in BG, in which, if you have an 18+ Charisma he gives you a +1 Dagger.

laptopman666jackjack
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283

Cluas said:

I think he's talking about things like Fuller's crossbow bolt fetch quest in BG, in which, if you have an 18+ Charisma he gives you a +1 Dagger.

yes thats what im referring to. but it gives extra dialogue options? nice
    jackjacklolien
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    Never got to play the expansions. Playing the original campaign.
    Hjollders house is new to me, is this how to start HOW? And if so when would be good point to begin.
    Secondly are the trials of Luremaster after HOW?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Yes Hjollder's House is the start for HoW. Trial of the Luremaster is similar, its another side jaunt from HoW.
    madmaximusjackjackJuliusBorisovlolien
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Hjollders house is new to me, is this how to start HOW? And if so when would be good point to begin.

immediately once you hit level 9.
    you must do totl before finishing how so don't forget to do it before going to a certain location (you'll know that it's the final one).
    once you finish the main how quest you're catapulted back into the iwd main worldmap so while you're still there buy all the things that you like and for that reason don't forget to bring a lot of money to how in the first place (you can accumulate a lot of money till you reach level 9, don't waste it).
    also, pay attention to potential quests in how. they're a bit dumb but yield enormous experience rewards.

this is the optimal way to do it. how and totl will be very fun and challenging whis way (not too hard).
    but the rest of the game will be less fun because you will be too strong for it once you've finished how; there'll still be some pretty decent battles though...but if you finish the main iwd quest first, then how will be a joke and won't make a lot of sense.

madmaximusSjerriePibaro
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    bob_veng said:

you must do totl before finishing how so don't forget to do it before going to a certain location (you'll know that it's the final one).
    once you finish the main how quest you're catapulted back into the iwd main worldmap so while you're still there buy all the things that you like and for that reason don't forget to bring a lot of money to how in the first place (you can accumulate a lot of money till you reach level 9, don't waste it).
    also, pay attention to potential quests in how. they're a bit dumb but yield enormous experience rewards.

this is the optimal way to do it. how and totl will be very fun and challenging whis way (not too hard).
    but the rest of the game will be less fun because you will be too strong for it once you've finished how; there'll still be some pretty decent battles though...but if you finish the main iwd quest first, then how will be a joke and won't make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info bro.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    bob_veng said:

@bob_veng‌ and others

I see this is being mentioned again and again on this forum. But it's not true for IWDEE.

You can't start HoW in IWDEE till you have 250 000 XP

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/568149/#Comment_568149
    Pibarojackjacklolien
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    250k xp = fighter level 9 and that's conventionally what people refer to.
    when i say level 9, it's precisely what i expect people to understand.
    Shikao said:

I know that monsters on HoF have ton HP, but what other stats change? AC, attack?

EDIT
    I did some research and it seems that in IwD monsters get only increased HP on HoF. It's IwD2 where they become truly monstrous on HoF.
    However, I would still welcome a definite answer, so I can continue planning teams while waiting for the game =D

@Shikao‌

You're right. The difference is not stat changes/AC/attacks but HP.

In HoF all enemies will have a massive boost to hp like x3+80 hit points so a 20 HP enemy will have (20x3)+80=140 HP.

The second difference is that there will be additional enemies in certain encounters and battles.

The third difference is that there will be Insane difficulty used.

Thanks goes to @lunar‌ (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/573057/#Comment_573057)
    lunarShikaoold_jolly2lolien
    bengoshi said:

You're right. The difference is not stat changes/AC/attacks but HP.

In HoF all enemies will have a massive boost to hp like x3+80 hit points so a 20 HP enemy will have (20x3)+80=140 HP.

The second difference is that there will be additional enemies in certain encounters and battles.

The third difference is that there will be Insane difficulty used.

Thanks goes to @lunar‌ (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/573057/#Comment_573057)

Well, if that's truly the case then my weird idea for a party might actually work... but that's a comment for a different topic =] Thank you very much @bengoshi‌ and @lunar!
    lunarJuliusBorisov
  • _marotte_marotte Member Posts: 5
    Hey men,

Just playing through Dragon Eye (Level 5). I'm in the room just before Yaxadsjsdi and I'm about to fight a Yuan Ti Shaman who has a group of Captive Villagers behind him. The villagers are initially just standing there but as soon as I enter dialogue with the Shaman and start a fight, all the villagers become hostile and if I kill them I lose -1 reputation. This has never happened before and I've tried several times as at first I thought I may have accidentally hit one with a fireball...anyone know what is up?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Yeah this is a change. But if you kill the shaman without harming any villagers they will revert to neutral. No fireballs!
    JuliusBorisov
  • _marotte_marotte Member Posts: 5
    ahh! That is an obscure change! Thanks both! :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • AvoKAvoK Member Posts: 90
    hello ... i want know when you will do a good multiplayer , you do icewind dale and you dont finish the multiplayer and it do 2 years , 2 years im waiting the multiplayer ............................ peapls do only private party because we cant play easy because beamdog dont his work ...
    yo mfg beamdog is trolling us... good job icewind dale is selling now ...
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Are there any characters outside your party that come with their portraits in Icewind Dale?
    @Nihilus‌, no, there are no recruitable NPCs in IwD
    JuliusBorisov
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @Shikao I think what @Nihilus means is if there are characters, other than the created PC's, that have a portrait.

I don't remember any in either vanilla BG or vanilla IWD. There were mods for that, but many of those were not the same art style as the original portraits. Other than major characters like Irenicus I don't think there are any in BGEE, and there are probably none in IWDEE either.
    ShikaoNihilusJuliusBorisov