Skip to content

IWD Evaluation

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
So, here i am again. I didn't got the game yet as one feature that i found important isn't implemented (Joinable NPCs), but... i'm seeing a lot of posts and news about the game, and they're infusing me with curiosity.

So now i ask, from 1 to 10, what's your pontuation for this game, be honest ppl, i will base much of my opinion to purchase the game now, a month in the future or not buy the game based on these answers.

Obs: I played the original, so my question is about the enhancement only, not the quality of IWD at an general point, as i already recognize it as a good game.
  1. IWD Evaluation119 votes
    1. 1 - Shit enhancement, if you get the original, stick with it (or don't play IWD at all)
        0.84%
    2. 2 - Bad work, don't bother in play the EE.
        0.00%
    3. 3 - Few improvments
        2.52%
    4. 4 - could be better, if you're a fan, buy it for nostalgia at least, otherwise don't bother.
        2.52%
    5. 5 - decent work, nothing special.
        5.04%
    6. 6 - nice work with some important changes, it's surelly better than play the old game.
      14.29%
    7. 7 - awesome, lots of improvments and a very dedicated work, go for it.
      22.69%
    8. 8 - outstanding work, this enhancement is epic.
      25.21%
    9. 9 - The enhancement it's a marvel, be ready to spend hours of your life here.
      21.85%
    10. 10 - Game of the year, Beamdog got it 100% right this time and the title deserve 100 in metacritic.
        5.04%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    The comments don't really work with the numbers that are attached to them. The poll would have been better with just numbers (no commentary). That or comments with no numbers.
    jackjackrorikonbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Then ignore the comments, it was just my immagination flying, otherwise i will have to make a 2° poll with the same question.
    booinyoureyes
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I never really played the original version, but I still thought the EE was great.
    JuliusBorisovCalmar
    CaptRory said:

The original version didn't have joinable NPCs at all. Why would they add them?

I know, but that's a discussion to another thread. Just spoken it to justified why i didn't brought the game until now.
    jackjackShikao
    deltago said:

Having class kits in itself is worth the money IMO.

That's my opinion. You could give a hamsters behind about them.

The existence of kits surelly is something, raise replayability, but that could be easly modded in the old game, it's a huge attraction, but i wish to hear about other points of interest, wish to know what ppl is feeling in the enhancement.
  • WatchmakerWatchmaker Member Posts: 20
    Depends on when You played it last time. If it was many years ago when You were a kid (like in my case) then it would be sin not to play it. Remember that little things adds up and all those little enhacements works just like that.. they make it possible for old time player to enjoy this great game once more without the frustration that usually comes when You try to replay a game from many years back. Game that you remember to be great and suddenly it turns out that You can't take clumsy mechanics any more after five minutes and You don't remember them being this clumsy years back...
    booinyoureyesCaptRory
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

I just got to the Vale of Shadows because being an adult SUCKS.

Likewise D:
    rufus_hobartbooinyoureyeslolien
  • NoTraNoTra Member Posts: 43
    I never played more than the demo of Icewind Dale, but I think it's pretty close to the original game. But it's HD, and there is french voice which is kinda pleasant.
    I think they did a good job, not incredible, but good.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Ok maybe I was a bit too hasty on the 10, but it's at least and 8 or 9 for me ;D
    jackjack
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    kamuizin said:

deltago said:

Having class kits in itself is worth the money IMO.

That's my opinion. You could give a hamsters behind about them.

The existence of kits surelly is something, raise replayability, but that could be easly modded in the old game, it's a huge attraction, but i wish to hear about other points of interest, wish to know what ppl is feeling in the enhancement.
    If it was easy to do it would have been done many years ago. IWD is not a new game in case you had forgotten. The closest that was achieved was the IWD-in-BG2 mod which had a fair few flaws (as in when I played I encountered a game-breaking bug).
    jackjack
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    With 40 votes the average score is 7.55
    jackjackkamuizinJuliusBorisovlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    jackjack said:

I just got to the Vale of Shadows because being an adult SUCKS.

Likewise D:
    Hehe
    jackjacklolien
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The EE is great, and if you want joinable NPCs, Kulyok's IWDNPC mod is already released for IWDEE.
    JuliusBorisovlolien

With 40 votes the average score is 7.55

I didn't count them as i didn't voted myself, after all my intent here is get an opinion, not give one. But it's good to know that the game is being well received by the public.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • grogersongrogerson Member Posts: 116
    edited November 2014
    9 - The enhancement it's a marvel, be ready to spend hours of your life here.

Add my vote to this. I'm well versed with vanilla IWD with and without expansions, and the actual heart of this game - IWD-in-BG2 over at Gibberlings Three. Now that IWD is running the same engine as BGEE and BG2EE maybe someone will start expanding it with new quests, areas and NPCs (basic BG style will do just fine).
    kamuizinJuliusBorisov
  • RedViiperRedViiper Member Posts: 48
    Strangely feels like a black pits 3. In the sense that its a tactical combat game with some RPG elements as opposed to BG which was a RPG with tactical combat elements
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    As of 50 votes the average score is 7.64
    jackjack
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2014
    So far I'm having fun, I enjoyed the experience of the original IWD but having played BG2 prior to it I found the gameplay lacking. With the enhancements that's no longer a problem. I'd give it an 8 or 9 but I'm not sure how the EE compares to IWD-in-BG2 (which I've never played) so I'm hesitant to oversell it.

Could use some polishing here and there (references to BG2 are still around for one, e.g. katana proficiencies), and some of the new implements are a little messy, also wish HLAs were properly implemented, but it's perfectly playable.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For me, I haven't gotten all the way thru it, but am really enjoying the game. I really like the kits added and think they add a BUNCH to the game. I am pleased with the addition of the auto-loot button and am happy with the updates from BG game. I think this feature isn't 100% where it needs to be, but it is moving nicely in the correct direction. The addition of the Trial of the Luremaster and HOW are nice even though they could be gotten for the original. There are some nice new things to find in game. Overall, I think it is quite the success and well worth the price of admission.
    jackjack
  • grogersongrogerson Member Posts: 116

So far I'm having fun, I enjoyed the experience of the original IWD but having played BG2 prior to it I found the gameplay lacking. With the enhancements that's no longer a problem. I'd give it an 8 or 9 but I'm not sure how the EE compares to IWD-in-BG2 (which I've never played) so I'm hesitant to oversell it.

IWDEE *is* IWD-in-BG2, with what was to be version 8. At least that's what DavidW stated on the IWD-in-BG2 forum when he decided he wasn't going to pursue that mod any further. With the source codes available for IWDEE he was able to go well beyond what the conversion could have done. And as a beta tester for both IWDEE and IWD-in-BG2 I have to agree (though I'd've wanted to see a complete version of IWD-in-BG2).

Could use some polishing here and there (references to BG2 are still around for one, e.g. katana proficiencies), and some of the new implements are a little messy, also wish HLAs were properly implemented, but it's perfectly playable.

Part of the charm of IWDEE is the expansion of weapons and proficiencies, and weapons are weapons whether one game or the other. Why can't there be some reference to Kara Tur in the far north of the Realms? HLAs were added with BG2-ToB, and as such would be overpowered in IWD. As a trade-off, you can now kit your characters and have both IWD and BG2 spells available, which I think is reasonable in my opinion.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2014
    the good: quick loot is actually useful, "proper" widescreen, few new quests, new spells are... okay, I guess?

the bad: really, really fucks with the balance of the original. haste is suddenly useless (it was THE KING of IWD), dual wielding becomes kinda weird, insane is now a walk in the park (enemies often did *twelve* times as much damage on insane), some enemies get ridiculous buffs (yuan-ti mages casting stoneskin? against a lvl 5-7 or so party? <- EDIT: disregard that) and generally it feels... off.

made it to Dragon's Eye, but sad to say, I'm sticking with the original... IWDEE is just too goddamn weird for my tastes.
    Post edited by DinsdalePiranha on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

the bad: really, really fucks with the balance of the original.

Kind of hard to do given there was no balance in the original.
    jackjackCrevsDaakatcDave