Skip to content

General questions. IWD for newbies and semiprofs

Comments

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but it's not clear to me: when do the HLA's kick in in IWD? I run a 2 chars party - a sorceress and a paladin, both 19th level - and I'm way past 3 mil exp cap and it's still not there.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Lathlaer said:

I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but it's not clear to me: when do the HLA's kick in in IWD? I run a 2 chars party - a sorceress and a paladin, both 19th level - and I'm way past 3 mil exp cap and it's still not there.

they don't, they were only ever featured in ToB
    FinneousPJjackjackCaptRoryJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    Oh, okay. I just thought they do since there is "Abilities" button when you level up (albeit always inactive) and you can actually find the spells in EE Keeper.

Sucks for higher level druids, I wanted to do some prince-summoning in my next playthrough.
    wubbleJuliusBorisov
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I played IWD a few years back. I enjoyed it, but got very tired of the constant dungeon crawling. So, in the Enhanced Edition is there more focus on story and exploration?

• madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    So didn't get pale justice before i killed malavon. can see the spot via farsight. dimension door is not working. does anyone know a work around, if not, i need to know how to use the cheats on IWDEE so i can transport my pally in there.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    demented said:

I played IWD a few years back. I enjoyed it, but got very tired of the constant dungeon crawling. So, in the Enhanced Edition is there more focus on story and exploration?

Nope, still pretty much all about dungeon crawling, and it's still amazing.
    wubblejackjackdementedJuliusBorisov

So didn't get pale justice before i killed malavon. can see the spot via farsight. dimension door is not working. does anyone know a work around, if not, i need to know how to use the cheats on IWDEE so i can transport my pally in there.

Actually, me neither. For some reason the supposed Umber Hulk doesn't show up and the path is closed. I had to just use the Keeper to get the sword.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    wubble said:

Lathlaer said:

Huh. Somewhat of a letdown.
    Lathlaer said:

Oh, okay. I just thought they do since there is "Abilities" button when you level up (albeit always inactive) and you can actually find the spells in EE Keeper.

Sucks for higher level druids, I wanted to do some prince-summoning in my next playthrough.

If the spells are there, I am going to add them myself at the appropriate level...
    edited November 2014
    @Sjerrie‌ it's not exactly a let down the HLAs were really designed to help out with the really tough fights such as the five and the watchers keep fights. once your party had reached around level 25 they don't really progress anymore (thac0 is so low you'll hit everything health points only go up 3 a level etc) the HLAs are put in there to make sure your epic level characters are still getting steadily stronger. an IWD party of 6 will top out at around 20 whereas in ToB you'll get to around 27 (more with charname i got to 31 by the end)
    atcDavekaguanaJuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Sjerrie said:

wubble said:

Lathlaer said:

Lathlaer said:

If the spells are there, I am going to add them myself at the appropriate level...
    Under normal play, IWD should give around 1.5 MXP each to a six man party (rising to about 2 MXP with the add ons). All the content (especially the distribution of spell scrolls) is designed around that. Whilst the game allows you to progress to much higher levels, and includes HoF as a dumb cludge, the content isn't designed for it and really isn't much fun to be had by playing the game at higher levels.
    JuliusBorisov
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2014
    I'm thinking of trying a thief/fighter either dualed or multi as my leader just because I like the idea of him doing the exploring but how big of an issue is the thief's armour restrictions if he's likely to be a frontline fighter (probably dual LS)?

Are there enough leather armors throughout the game, not just the end , to make it viable or would he be too squishy?

If I dualed, the shadowdancer looks interesting but (assuming I go at least 6 thief levels) would the swashbucklers +2AC and +2 hit/dam be a better advantage?

Most likely just playing through on standard or hard.
    Post edited by Welkin on
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    You are creating the whole party, so you can choose whichever character you want to identify with wherever they may be in the formation.
    There are some good armors for thieves, but there are always better armors for warriors with no armor restrictions. I would say you want the real tanks on point, but a thief/scout is always a viable character as long as they don't stray too far from the protection of their team.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I would suggest think less about items that are in the game when creating one of the first parties for IWDEE. Explore and find out yourself.

This is probably one of the most pleasant sides of this game.

You'll learn to use any character, even if he's not an OP beast dealing 100 damage in a round and having -20 AC without much trouble.
    ShikaoatcDave
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Nihilus said:

Are there any characters outside your party that come with their portraits in Icewind Dale?

@Nihilus‌ @Shikao‌ @Sjerrie‌

Now we can have portraits for non-party characters in IWDEE as a mod:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37001/mod-minor-npc-portraits-for-iwdee-wip#latest
    jackjackNihilus
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Fardragon said:

Sjerrie said:

wubble said:

Lathlaer said:

Lathlaer said:

Under normal play, IWD should give around 1.5 MXP each to a six man party (rising to about 2 MXP with the add ons). All the content (especially the distribution of spell scrolls) is designed around that. Whilst the game allows you to progress to much higher levels, and includes HoF as a dumb cludge, the content isn't designed for it and really isn't much fun to be had by playing the game at higher levels.
    Spell progression with scrolls worked pretty good for me while playing on insane for most of the game. Which was surprising because I ended up with 5,5MXP
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited November 2014
    Should we be getting max HPs per level even on Core rules? That's what's currently happening to me.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Should we be getting max HPs per level even on Core rules? That's what's currently happening to me.

There's an option in gameplay (I think) that allows for max HP on Core Rules—try looking to see if it's checked on.
    SharGuidesMyHandJuliusBorisov
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Thanks to @TheCoffeeGod‌ and @jackjack‌ - that is indeed the issue.

While we're on the subject, would either of you happen to know why my berserker started out with 12 HPs, when it appears that she should've had only 11? (10 for her class, +1 for having 15 con).

JuliusBorisov
    The only reason I can think of is that Rhodanna is too hot... too hot for ice of IWD so the games gives her 1 additional HP.

Seriously, it looks like a bug. Did you use any mods? Plus, I remember in BGEE it used to be the case that if you are in the character creation screen and you go forward and backwards in particular areas (so from "appearances" back to "skills" or something around those lines) the game can end up stacking bonuses. From the sounds of things this could have been what happened this time too, if it's not because of a mod.
    kaja8
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    Hi folks, is it possible to multiclass a dwarfen fighter / priest of lathander? or only unkited combos?
    edited November 2014
    alaundo said:

Hi folks, is it possible to multiclass a dwarfen fighter / priest of lathander? or only unkited combos?

@alaundo‌ No kits in multi/dualclass. though i believe you can assign a kit in EEKeeper
    Edit: with dual class first class can be a kit
    Shikao
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    But Dwarves can't dual class.
    jackjack
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Fardragon said:

But Dwarves can't dual class.

'Fixable' with a 2da file
    jackjack
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2014
    I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I'd ask it here in case there's another option I haven't found yet.

Basically it just bugs me when I use my thief to scout out an area and traps that I keep getting caught out with him attacking enemies at just the wrong time.

If I turn scripts off I risk the rest of the party not reacting to attacks while I'm focusing on the thief.

So is going through the toolbar-customise-scripts the only way to change scripts?

It's a bit of a pain going through it each time to change the thief's script back and forth but more than that it just takes me out of the game and I try to use those menus as little as possible while in dungeons.

So I suppose I'm just asking is there any option I've missed, a hotkey or mod or anything that allows either quicker script changes or the ability to turn scripts off for just one character rather than the whole party?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the simplest way is to enable auto-pause when enemies are spotted and toggle scripts for the whole party ("A").
    your party shouldn't be exposed to attacks while the thief is scouting. the enemies aren't that mobile as to enter the screen where the remainder of the party is if they just stand and wait, so you won't have any problems there.
    jackjackCluasatcDave
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    people usually use ai to speed things up because issuing orders while paused often takes a lot of time.

using scripts is also a great way to maintain formation and have your front row strike at the oncoming enemy at the right time (if your press-A is well-timed :)). in my experience, manual attacking often brings "reach weapon" wielding characters too close to the target and squanders that advantage in the first round.
    jackjack
  • JaseaceJaseace Member Posts: 44
    Does the create item and add gold etc work on this? I'm on a Mac and always find that hard to set-up? It usually says below the "game options" insert.......
    But I have rows and rows of "game options", so not sure where!!!lol

the ini file also says Baldur???? In the IWD Folder?

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Fonts', 'ko_KR', 'UNBOM',
    'Fonts', 'zh_CN', 'SIMSUN',
    'Fonts', 'ja_JP', 'MSGOTHIC',
    'Fonts', 'ru_RU', 'PERMIAN',
    'Fonts', 'uk_UA', 'PERMIAN',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'Graphics', 'version', '2.1 ATI-1.28.29 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'AMD Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'ATI Technologies Inc.',
    'Window', 'Maximized', '0',
    'MOVIES', 'LOGO', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Multiplayer', 'Last Protocol Used', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    stu-k
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    It does indeed.
    Though you have to add this line in and save it before it can work.

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1'

Just stick it somewhere, doesn't really matter when.
    JuliusBorisov