Skip to content

#10734 Bonus spells from the Staff of Arundel should not be lost if attack is selected while paused

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
edited November 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
During my totemic druid solo run I've encountered this small bug.

After Staff of Arundel is equipped the character is given bonus spells at the 5th and the 6th levels. Meanwhile, if after resting and thus making these spells available to use, the character decides to attack with this stuff (without any switching to another weapon), he loses the bonus spells. So that to use them again the character must again choose the appropriate spells and rest.

It's not an intended behaviour. I attach the save.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi @bengoshi‌ just got round to looking at this. I think it is working as expected, he needs to be using the staff permanently to retain the bonus and switching to the sling will see them lost. In your save he has the sling equipped, swapping to the staff sees the extra spell slots made available again but emptied.

Other items, e.g. Dakkon's Zerth Blade, also operate in this way.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2014
    @Gate70‌

Don't look at the sling and don't use it. Of this I don't doubt it is working as intended. The thing not working is attacking with the staff.

-switch weapon to the staff
    - choose additional spells the staff provides
    - rest
    - make sure the spells are there
    - attack something with the staff (without any weapon switching)
    - check the bonus spells - they will be lost
    Tresset said:

selecting the staff to force attack something will unmemorize the bonus spells. Like if you have the staff equipped and click on the staff again in its quick slot to highlight it and select something to attack you loose your spells. I would definitely think this behavior qualifies as a bug and something should be done about it if possible.

-exactly!
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited November 2014
    @Gate70‌ I believe what @bengoshi is saying is that selecting the staff to force attack something will unmemorize the bonus spells. Like if you have the staff equipped and click on the staff again in its quick slot to highlight it and select something to attack you loose your spells. I would definitely think this behavior qualifies as a bug and something should be done about it if possible (and I am not entirely sure it is possible).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I just realized why this happens... If you select an active weapon for force attack it will have the side effect of re-applying all effects of that weapon. For example: when you do this with the Staff of the Magi it will re-apply all effects, but most noticeably the prot. from evil and the invisibility. As such I am not sure much can be done about this (and not sure if anything should be done about it (to avoid screwing up other things)).
    Fair enough but I could have sworn the save came with the sling selected.
    @bengoshi‌ I've tried your save with a hostile wolf and a a neutral Edwin, neither reproduced this for me and the bonus spells remained. Also tried a script (normal attack) and casting a spell before attacking, so any advice on what I'm missing would be appreciated.

The character can't shapeshift and no mention of using a magical weapon such as Flame Blade, both of which are known to currently exhibit loss of bonus spells.
    Thanks
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2014
    @Gate70‌

Use the new save attached to the OP.
    Check there're additional spells in the book.
    -PAUSE the game-
    Select the staff to force attack.
    Try to open the locked door right next to the character with your attack (DUHM doesn't play any role here, it just helps to be successful with the lock each time).
    Check the spellbook again and discover the additional spells have been erased.

As @Gate70‌ has rightfully pointed out, the bug happens only with using the Pause before the Force Attack, without pausing the spells don't disappear.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    @bengoshi‌
    It doesn't do it every time, took a little while but think there is a pattern. Could you confirm whether you get the same please, if you're not pausing there might be something else too.
    - Pause > Force Attack > Unpause: Spells lost.
    - Force Attack: Spells retained.

Tried on both the cutpurse and the door.