Skip to content

"We're All Doomed". Blackraven's No-Reload SCS runs, latest CHARNAME: Streg, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lolienBlackraven
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Gotural, wow 5% is pretty serious in a no-reload run. You're saying a roll of 1 is always a failed save, but @Jalily's comment here suggests otherwise. Your Spirit Armor example is pretty clear though. I'll keep it in mind.

@Sergio, haha, I'm a bit prolific these days that's true. Am very enthusiastic about the Wizard Slayer so I try to play when I can :) But by all means get that Berserker of yours on the road my friend, and his or her tale with us!
    Sergio said:

But a berserker would have just to go away and wait. Kinda cheesy.

Don't go away and wait, let them pesky spellcasters waste their spells on you while you're enraged and pretty much invulnerable, and settle things with your blade or axe or hammer etc. Good times :)
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    From time to time, different people here or there say they have encountered a situation where even with a negative saving throw the effect still has not been saved against which could lead to an assumption that there's always a 5% chance to fail a ST:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53760
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19334

But we have a strong evidence from here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/232366/#Comment_232366
    that a negative saving throw (if it's negative after all applied penalties) prevents the effect.
    lolienBlackravenCrevsDaak
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I would do the Sphere before risking the prison, but Sphere has those nasty illegal Halfling casters to deal with. Ras and your Simulacrum might be a nice to eat up some of their casts. They FoD you before iirc, so you would need some caution obviously, but those summons wouldn't hurt.

If you also had Spectral Brand... ;) kinda rough getting through Watchers alone though. Staff of Air is cool, but yeah, scary.
    lolienJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    To me, the Astral prison is one of the hardest places with SCS. The final boss there is simply OP-ed.

The Prison Warden sees through invisibility via script, has both mage and cleric HLAs (i.e. when I ran into him with my 6-man party I used to test SCS before continuing a totemic druid run, he both casted Blade Barrier and dropped a Dark Planetar on my head. A Dark Planetar moves fast and regenerate quickly as well.

Even with Tolgerias and those halflings, the Planar Sphere is a better place to go first.
    lolienBlackravenDreadKhanCrevsDaak
  • EA1EA1 Member Posts: 31
    What progress... A solo SCS wizardslayer... amazing man!
    BlackravenCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Thanks so much @EA1, I'm quite pleased myself, and becoming increasingly nervous... Don't want to screw up hehe. I think I'm going to stall this playthrough and do another run to get to know a number of encounters a bit better.
    CrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Hey @CrevsDaak, awesome, I didn't know any of the things you just said. Thanks heaps :)
    CrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Be careful if you fight an unnecessary beholder, they are cheeseballs with eyes they shoot spray cheese.

No offense, @KidCarnival‌ !
    BlackravenlolienGoturalJuliusBorisov
    Personally, I don't think that keepering in a Bag of Holding is against any rules. It's on par with including Hexxat into your party and completing several tasks together.

Also, I haven't had any crashes with SCS improved Vampires component installed during my totemic druid run.
    lolien
    Hey @bengoshi, I'm surprised about your Improved Vampires. @CrevsDaak said it gets automatically skipped for BG2EE to prevent those apparent crashes, which would explain why it didn't get installed in my game. Are you sure you did get that component installed? In your pics I see no clouds of bats or summoned wolves.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
    I erroneously assumed I had installed it, since every other AI improvement is working well...

lolienCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    bengoshi said:

I erroneously assumed I had installed it, since every other AI improvement is working well...

Don't you mean 'facepaw'?
    lolienCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    Nimran said:

bengoshi said:

Don't you mean 'facepaw'?
    Or @Southpaw?

By the way,same here @bengoshi. I wasn't aware that Improved Vampires didn't get installed until I met the vanilla vampires...
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited November 2014
    This is going to be Thani's final update unless you guys convince me that a bug has been at work in my game :(

Thani decided to explore parts of Watcher's Keep, before she would set sail to Spellhold. She cleared the entire first floor. The level draining mists were harmless as she equipped the Improved Mace of Disruption, and she survived the statues thanks to good positioning and some luck. Thani retreated to the room left of the altar. There she would deal with the statues one or two at a time. Later she would do the same in the library.
    Her 37 Magic Resistance sufficed to keep her from being Mazed and Symbol:Stunned (this was the luck factor). Maybe it would have been less frustrating if one of those spells had killed her.

She survived two Timestops, and - thanks to the aforementioned MR and her excellent saves (0/0/3/3/0) - various nasty spells such as Chaos, Slow, ADHW, and Sphere of Chaos.

The warrior/rogue/monster statues were Greater Whirlwinded into oblivion. The only statue to really form a threat was the Archer, but nothing that potions of extra/superior healing couldn't remedy.

On the second level doom befell her. She got cursed. I didn't see any stat changes or afflictions mentioned in the character record, but the SCS readme mentions a "Cursed Wounds" that Clay Golems may inflict upon hit (she had just fought one or two on the second level). What the readme doesn't mention is what the curse exactly does, nor how long it lasts or how it can be removed. The Helmite priestess by the Watcher's Keep entrance wasn't able to remove it, as the following image demonstrates:

She rested, woke up and saw that the curse was still there, so it seemed the curse wouldn't wear off of its own accord... However, as it didn't seem to do anything, Thani continued her exploration of the Keep. She had cleared the acid, electricity, and ice libraries on the second level, and would have done the same with the fire library, if it weren't for the curse: turns out that it keeps the character from healing. The following is the last screenshot I have of her, moments before she fruitlessly tried to heal herself with a potion of superior healing and got killed by the Fire Giants that would soon block her way to the exit portal.

My own thoughts: once again my limited SCS knowledge for BG2 showed. This Cursed Wounds issue wasn't something I'd forgotten by the way, but rather something I never knew. I must say that a permanent curse that keeps one from healing, that cannot be removed, and - I just tested this with 4 consecutive rests - that does not seem to wear off, is overly severe imo, up to the point where I'm wondering whether this has been some kind of bug. So anyone who reads this, is this really how this curse is supposed to work? How did you deal with it? Power Word: Reload, or no more healing for the rest of the game?

Edit: Interestingly Thani hadn't noticed the effect of the curse when she rested because DUHM + 20 CON gives fast natural regeneration, which was not affected by the curse. So she woke up fully recovered.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    GoturallolienJuliusBorisovRavenslight
    Gotural said:

Ah this bug again ! It happened to Proesis aswell, maybe you remember it. I followed your advice back in time and I asked in the SCS thread if someone knew how to cure it, alas, it's working perfectly fine for everyone except us. Normally if can be cured with a simple Remove Curse spell, but for us it's impossible.

We have been afflicted with the very special solo no-reload SCS version of the curse, and the only remedy ... is death.

Jokes apart, get it off with EEKeeper, I think it's the only way.

Ah Proesis yes!! You're right. I had forgotten about her curse, but I do remember now... Hmm maybe I'll Keeper it away then...
    BTW any new no-reload adventures you're going to post on the forums? Be it IWD or BG... You're a really good player, so I'd love to read about them.
    GoturalCrevsDaaklolienJuliusBorisov
    Btw @Gotural, do you remember how you removed the Cursed status effect in EEKeeper?
    I'm looking at it right now, and I notice that EEKeeper (unlike its predecessor ShadowKeeper) has no "State Flags" tab, where one may check or uncheck any bugged status effects. I checked under the Affects and Global Variables tabs, but I didn't find any reference to the curse effect.
    lolien
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Thank you @Blackraven‌ I really appreciate it.
    I don't have any games running at the moment, but I still have a few ideas.

Concerning the curse, well, Proesis died before it became too much of a problem so I don't know either. Maybe we could ask the help of @DavidW‌ ?
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    Should be under the effects tab. I don't know the actual effect but I would try looking for an effect in the box that seems abnormal, like a series of numbers, or a code. That's how I got a number of effects to work how I wanted them to. Just make sure to keep the original save just in case you delete the wrong effect. That's all the advice I can give.
    Post edited by Nimran on
    BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @Nimran, you're right. I looked in the wrong save (from before Thani got cursed).
    There's a string of (eleven) DW#CURSE affects. I'll eliminate them, and everything should work again. Thanks :)
    NimranlolienJuliusBorisov
    @Blackraven‌ no problem.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    *curses

This is going to be Thani's final update

This is the moment of a heartbreak...
    Gotural said:

Ah this bug again

What a relief!

Thani should continue, no questions about that! You can RP it as a horror dream in which Thani didn't know how to remove the curse. After waking up, Thani discovered her curse is over.
    BlackravenGoturallolien
  • EA1EA1 Member Posts: 31
    Great progress. To answer your last question: I dont think so... I think you should venture forth to the big boys (TOB, Watchers Keep)!
    Blackraven