Skip to content

A guide to new magic items in IWD:EE *SPOILERS*

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Can somebody please tell me that there are some new Druid 1-handers? New scimitar, dagger or even a club?

The main game has such limited choices.

jackjack
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    Not sure if new but my Fighter/Druid dual wielding +4 Scimitars.

Not sure if new but my Fighter/Druid dual wielding +4 Scimitars.

I've found Talon of the Gloomfrost and Wind of Heaven, are these the two that you mean?

The gloomfrost weapon is okay but is chosen at the expense of every other example of a gloomfrost weapon. Wind of Heaven is just a +4 weapon effectively.

I'm more referring to the lack of any defender, stunning or action weapon that a Druid can use.

There is the valiant scimitar for APR almost at the end of the main campaign to finally get my Druid to 5 APR but it's otherwise a vanilla +2 scimitar (fast flail is in the same boat stats wise but both of them are accessible early game rather than late).

I'd go after the club that does additional damage vs extra planar creatures and golems I think but apparently there's a bug on ipad at the moment preventing returning to the main campaign when you complete HoW and the PoNR is before you can access it.

Someone suggested GM in daggers and I thought that would be a great idea without actually considering the list of available daggers (as there are some cool daggers in BG1 and 2). However, that person should pinch themselves!

My conclusion is that I should have gone for GM in Scimitars and then clubs or clubs and then scimitars (as there is an easy to access +5 club when things like THAC0 still matter and bludgeoning is always useful).
    I read a post where someone was lamenting not pulling the shocking +4 flail and another poster was pointing out that it was removed in HoW. However, I pulled it in the crypt in ToL so my kencler is stunning trash left and center.

Also pulled Incinerator +3 in the same area which is another weapon missing in HoW but apparently added back into ToL. My kensage loves it as an offhand! (Maybe even mainhand it once I have GM in bswords).

I just feel this is worth mentioning as it seems the only decent reference for loot is DSimpsons faq but there is no mention of these drops there.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Wowo said:

my kencler

<3

I feel the lack of good druid weapons (MH particularly) is really holding them back against already unfavorable comparisons to competing alternatives :( Druid weapon restrictions are a major pain even with a decent selection at endgame, but they really don't have any amazing weapon at all do they... :(
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Druids can spell themselves decient weapons.
    jackjackelminsterReticent
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    And who said druids needed good weapons? Druids are druids, not fighters. Just be glad that in IWD they actually have a lot of good spells.

That being said, I really like Wind of Heaven. It's not just a +4 scimitar; it also makes you immune to all the cloud effects.
    elminster

Wowo said:

my kencler

<3

I feel the lack of good druid weapons (MH particularly) is really holding them back against already unfavorable comparisons to competing alternatives :( Druid weapon restrictions are a major pain even with a decent selection at endgame, but they really don't have any amazing weapon at all do they... :(</p>
    Maybe there's something hiding in ToL?
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    the +4 Hammer bow is awesome, but outside of that, IWD seems to lag behind BG - no Carsomyr, no Firetooth, no Crom Faeyr, Flail of Ages, etc
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    There are already so many good weapons in the game, do you really expect iwdee to add that many more?
    Wandering_MinstrelShikaojackjack
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    lroumen said:

There are already so many good weapons in the game, do you really expect iwdee to add that many more?

That's one aspect. Another, do we want 2 games with identical weapon selection? I find it nice to be on lookout for different weapons in comparison to BG series.

jackjacklolien
    I more meant by comparison that bg weapons seemed stronger, not looking for those specific weapons.
    lolien
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    schreier said:

I more meant by comparison that bg weapons seemed stronger, not looking for those specific weapons.

BG2 was more "epic" with ToB included. Just think Dragons for example.... Those weapons were necessary. Not so much in IWD. It's more of a fun hack n slash, not an epic story per se.

Shikaojackjack
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Even without ToB, BG2 is designed to go up to a higher level than IWD.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think this is fancy play syndrome... like you feel the need to have good weapons to enable you to breeze through the game. In iwd(ee) you do not.
    I cannot blame people for wishing cool weapons though. I like the uniqueness too ;)
    Shikaololien
    I find his take on the ideal party (all triple-classed characters) very interesting ... and honestly, I kind of agree with him on the missile weapons. I love my archers - I am running 2, but the arrows are a pain in the butt ... if they added a quiver of plenty, it would be a different story obviously.

I am trying to decide between Morning Star of Defense and Argent Shield vs. two morning stars of defense ... give up a little AC, and a little magic resistance, but gain an attack and gain better slash/pierce resist
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    schreier said:

I find his take on the ideal party (all triple-classed characters) very interesting ... and honestly, I kind of agree with him on the missile weapons. I love my archers - I am running 2, but the arrows are a pain in the butt ... if they added a quiver of plenty, it would be a different story obviously.

I am trying to decide between Morning Star of Defense and Argent Shield vs. two morning stars of defense ... give up a little AC, and a little magic resistance, but gain an attack and gain better slash/pierce resist

Check this for quivers of plenty http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36827/mod-convenient-ammunition-for-iwd-ee#latest
    jackjack
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    The game could use a couple more daggers and scimitars I suppose.

What it absolutely needs at least for HOF is magical unlimited ammo.

My archer can go through 3K-5K arrows in 1 dungeon even early game. When I had 1.5 ranged longbow men early it was even worst. Lucky a mod was created to at least do unlimited normal ammo.

But the BG series has a lot of ranged equipment with its own created magical ammo. I would like that in IWD EE. In HOF there isn't enough magical arrows to buy or probably gold.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Pibaro said:

I know that guide, well I know the non ee version.
    It's really accurate, full of details and lists of spells, kit and whatever.
    So I'm sure it's going to be a great source for EE new items.
    BUT his advice about party creation (5 half elves multiclass fighter/cleric/mage and 1 half elf multiclass fighter/thief/mage) is inrcredibly astonishing.
    Not to mention that he plays the game 5 times on core, before going into HoF :D

Yes, his opinion on classes and party composition aren't spot on. Triple-classes are slow to level up hence just boring. One is enough.
    He discards the Sorcerer which is an amazing addition to the game. The Dwarven Defender too since there are several resistance items to get.
    ShikaoPibarojackjackJuliusBorisov
    I am trying the tri-levels now to see if I like it. I was surprised how quickly he dismissed the druids and bards ... Druids are fluffy and have some good summons, and bards have darth vader's song, as well as free id.

jackjacksemiticgoddess
    So wasn't there some 60 odd items added to IWDee? And yet the current guide only has some 20.

33% completion?

Surely we can do better than that ...
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/580752#Comment_580752
    My above thread was posted one day before this thread.. Was it an inspiration into doing your list @artificial_sunlight ?
    edited November 2014
    @artificial_sunlight may you please be as so kind as to elaborate in your Original Post about the 'unique values' of the weapons and armour. Such as: light weight (25 lbs), +X 'special value', sells for a huge amount etc.
    Edit: Also please additionally include this List for the 'Original Icewind Dale Item list':
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/icewind/index.html
    (I found the lists here extremely useful and well crafted, and it is a 'shame' that it is not mentioned in the Original Post for I think that some players are 'missing out'.)
    sunset00 said:

I wonder if there will be the legendary 'Night Club' again... was a good one in the previous EE! ... kuddos to the creator :)

Maybe it will be the 'epic': "Fight Club" this time..

@artificial_sunlight may you please be as so kind as to elaborate in your Original Post about the 'unique values' of the weapons and armour. Such as: light weight (25 lbs), +X 'special value', sells for a huge amount etc.
    Edit: Also please additionally include this List for the 'Original Icewind Dale Item list':
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/icewind/index.html
    (I found the lists here extremely useful and well crafted, and it is a 'shame' that it is not mentioned in the Original Post for I think that some players are 'missing out'.)

Mikes RPG index of icewind dale items is unfortunately very incomplete. I think the only decent resource that exists is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/faqs/55628

Just take the party he suggests with a pitcher of salt.
    Shikaoelminsterjackjack
  • @WithinAmnesia‌ I will look to update the op. There where many questions about new bags and katanas, thats why I started this.
    JuliusBorisov

@WithinAmnesia‌ I will look to update the op. There where many questions about new bags and katanas, thats why I started this.

I see, thank you very much! (I am going to bed now:-P)