Skip to content

Weakest team in BGEE ?

Hello !

According to you, what is the weakest team you can make in BGEE ? It could be a funny challenge

For me =>

Charname as a bard or thief
Safana
Xan
Quayle
Tiax
Alora

Most of them are thieves yeah but all other characters can be good/balanced (Montaron/Yeslick/Eldoth etc... not very popular, they look weak but they can rock)

Comments

• NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    No Garrick?
    Blackraven
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    For starters, I will pick Monk as weakest class, and Rasaad as weakest npc (for BGEE, Monks are a different proposition in BG2EE) so let's take a Dark Moon Monk PC, and Rasaad as erstwhile companion.

Then let's consider what we should eliminate to make a weak party. Here we will diverge considerably, as I think a party entirely devoid of thieves has trouble - certainly with traps, and maybe with locks. If we can eliminate mages and bards entirely, then there is no Knock spell either, but locks can still be bashed. Eliminating thieves and bards also kills a lot of wand use.

It is also worth noting that thieves and druids get to hit level 10 within the game's xp cap, so will consistently have high levels. Likewise, single-class mages get to level 9 and 5th level spells.

On the other hand, if we allow mages, let's be sure to pick ones with low con and bad opposing schools, so that they can be easily picked off by a start magic missile or similar.

So Party A: No thieves, allow mages/bards - but no clerical healing:
    PC - Dark Moon Monk
    Rasaad
    Garrick
    Xan
    Eldoth
    Neera

Neera is a bit of a wild card, but with only 14 con and unreliable magic, gets the nod over Xzar (low con and opposed to illusion)

Most of this party can be found early with the exception of Eldoth, where I would like to substitute Xzar, if we could part him from Monty. Otherwise, we either allow Viconia on board, despite the no-clerics rule, until we hit Cloakwood, as another low-con, no front-line character, or take Kagain as a no-dex, no-str fighter, although he will have sufficient HP (and natural healing) to act as a front line.

So plan B outlaws all magery and barding, but implies a stronger front line and healing from clerics:
    PC - Dark Moon Monk
    Rasaad
    Viconia
    Kagain
    Faldorn
    Branwen

Faldorn is probably strongest of this bunch when she gets going, but again we need a substitute until we hit Cloakwood, which would be Jaheira if I could lose her other half, as exchange druids mid-way seems appropriate, and the druid fast-levelling bonus is tempered at the early low levels, doubly so as a multi-class. If I cannot separate, I will take Khalid in exchange for Kagain and swap the pair in Cloakwood.

Plan B are more durable, so will make some early success, but still lack big hitters, and have a horrid time with traps and locks. I think they will struggle more as the game progresses.

Party A are most squishy, especially early in the game, but pack sufficient magic that they should make it through the end game on items alone.
    JuliusBorisovDanacm
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    Charname and ctrl+q Noober.
    sarevok57badbromancejackjack
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Solo pure thief that can't level up past level 1.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    zupsky said:

Charname and ctrl+q Noober.

But isn't Noober's special ability to annoy the CHARNAME to permanent Berzerker Rage?

Soren_The_Wildjackjack
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    doesn't Noober fight with Jaheira? she always seems to entangle him in my game. :)
    sarevok57lolien
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    My two cents:

Charname as a monk
    Rasaad
    Gerrick
    Safana
    Alora
    Skie

Explanation: Monks are just bad, thieves are bad in quantity, and Gerrick is just personally awful. In particular, I expect this party to die to a single Battle Horror, as ranged damage (and therefore traps) are useless against them. A pack of skeletons might also kill them.
    jackjack
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    To be honest, you can rock any party in BG, even if you might have an Intelligence of 13 or a Wisdom of 10 (you know who you are). It just depends on how good you are at the game.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Of course, that monk heavy party is going to ROCK in the sequel. ;-)
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    edited November 2014
    I don't see how a PC Bard, an Enchanter, cleric/mage (shorty saves) or a thief/cleric (shorty saves) would be considered weak. Add a front liner or 2 and you would have very few problems.

Edit: The biggest problem would likely be splitting spell scrolls between 3 characters
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There's just no "weakest" party in BG. With every party, taking into account right gear and right spells, you can become quite powerful.

For e.g., @Seldar‌ thinks that party of a bard or thief, Safana, Xan, Quayle, Tiax amd Alora is the weakest. But to me, Tiax and Quayle are both very solid characters, full of magic. I would welcome them in any party. Safana can be dualled into a mage, Alora can invest points into set traps and Xan can use very useful crowd-control spells. A bard as the main character is very interesting too: he can shoot, he can cast, he can use wands.
    Blackraven
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2014
    well my actual BGEE party is with a Bard as main charachter... he is not bad, but compared to a more classic character, like a dual-classed or a pure class, he sucks... yes I can cast some spells, it helped a lot at the begining but now at high level, he is weakest than a mage, than a thief (I use bow)or than a dual-classed fighter/mage. With a long bow he is usefull to the team, but as soon as he is attacked at short range.... dead in 4 or 5 hits

Safana cant be dualled into a mage except if you give her one more point in Intelligence with the book...

Yes, Alora can invest in set traps... like all other thieves, Montaron can, Imoen and all of them. She has a good Dexterity, but strenght at 8 => totally useless with all weapons, very low damage

Same thing for Quayle, but ok, he is a caster so it shouldn't be a problem.

And Tiax too has a low strenght, only 9. As he is dual classed cleric/thief, he can't use bows or crossbows. Useless to the team once all his spells used

For the mage, Magic Missiles are very powerfull in BG1. But (if I'm not mystaken), Xan cant cast this spell, but Larloch's Minor Drain which really sucks according to me. Very low damage, maybe 3 or 5 points when Magic Missiles does around 15-20 points. He can't learn offensive spells like Xzar, Edwin or Dynaheir

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Not to dredge up the past, but I'm going to dredge up the past. We've had this discussion before: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22701/assembling-the-c-team#latest

Point of interest, I have actually started a game of BG:EE where I have been living the dream of the C Team (the same one I suggested in the thread), my charname is a Fighter/Mage/Thief for the sake of ridiculousness and effectiveness. It has been a little bit of a challenge (especially getting Garrick and Eldoth to learn spells), but as I keep getting better at the game stepping up the challenge has been rewarding to me for replay value. Heck, I even assembled the team without using any other NPCs, it was just me, Garrick and Rasaad for the early game. Also, I'm hoping to hear some of the Garrick/Eldoth/Skie banters because I've almost never used Eldoth and Skie in my party. Eldoth has the bracers of Dex, Garrick is using Deadshot, and I managed to rush to Cloakwood fast enough that I got Eldoth as a level 3 character (which surprised the heck out of me) so he is using Spider Bane +2 proficiently when he isn't shooting people with poisoned arrows. Rasaad was a better offtank than I gave him credit for, kicking the dust out of skeletons and now he is starting to become formidable as I reach the mid-levels. Tiax really does suck as a thief but combined with his clerical powers he does well enough (and in ankheg armor he can tank a bit), and Skie is perfectly competent as thieves go, I have no complaints about her skill with thievery or a bow (I am going to have to gain another level before we're ready for Durlag's Tower though).

Anyway, they aren't the most powergame-y team you'll find, but unplayable? Utterly ineffective? Nah, you can still win the game with them. As others here have said, all of the characters are useable. I leaned on some wands early on, but now the characters are genuine threats unto themselves (Eldoth, for instance, can tank effectively between solid AC from gear and a preemptive casting of Mirror Image).

Probably the fun aspect of this challenge is making yourself use NPCs you normally never would, and getting a different game experience because of it.
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    If we try to use a realistic structure for the party (meaning, fighter/mage/priest/thief combo), then IMO, the weakest party would probably be,

dark moon monk charname ("fighter")
    Rasaad ("fighter")
    Safana (thief)
    Xan (mage)
    Faldorn (priest)
    Garrick (bard)
    jackjack
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Tiax is a beast when you get his stealth up and get him backstabbing with the +3 staff or the Staff of Striking. He featured in an SCS no-reload run I did with everyone as a short character (fighter/illusionist main, Quayle, Kagain, Montaron, Tiax and Yeslick).

Really amazing team and absolutely capable. Not sure about conflicts, possibly my protagonist had a high charisma.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Illiterated Mage charname (illegal Intelligence set to 8 or lower = no ward or scroll use)
    Garrick ("tank")
    Imoen ("melee fighter")
    Kagain ("sniper")
    Minsc ("healer")
    Eldoth ("arcane firepower")
    jackjackJuliusBorisov