Skip to content

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Just started playing, Im going human mage and Im having a blast so far. Be advised that I found Mass Effect 3 to be a good game (mainly due to story, didnt think the ending was great though). Clunky controls on PC, but Im getting the hang of them slowly buy surely.

Mass effect was great once they redid the ending, although I'm still annoyed about the prothean dlc being separate to the game.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I think I'm one of the few people that think that ME3's ending, even with the DLC, is still pure crap. However, this isn't the thread to talk about that.

DA: I how I want to play you some more. >:D
    elminsterChildofBhaal599jackjack
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

I think I'm one of the few people that think that ME3's ending, even with the DLC, is still pure crap. However, this isn't the thread to talk about that.

DA: I how I want to play you some more. >:D

If u see me in any thread with relevance to modern bioware, u would know u are not alone about that on this forum. Most people who hate it have at least moved on, though, so u don't see them that much. But yes, we shouldn't discuss that right now. At least DAI is a decent enough game and potentially a comeback.

@BelgarthMTH I am sorry you feel that way, but this game is just an action RPG, something we even have PC exclusives of. It is just different from what you want, but many PC players still enjoy the genre. It isn't that it is consolized, it is just not the type of game you are looking for.

BTW, I've long gotten over the loss of healing. It may actually be more fun preventing health loss tactically. It doesn't entirely feel right when you look at it, but it's grown on me a bit (except for the moments you run out in a mission and it is a while before you find a resupply)
    AristilliusBelgarathMTHTJ_Hooker
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @BelgarathMTH‌
    Fair points. I am looking forward to Pillars of Eternity.
    I must say that the story and characters feel very mature in DA:I. Even more than BG. Although I love IWD:EE, I am more into the story in DA:I right now.

I think some of the critique we are seeing is rooted in the crazy-hype that comes before the game, resulting in overblown expectations. Im glad I didnt read too much about the game before playing and just found out for myself.
    BelgarathMTH
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I've played the game for about 20 hours so far. My thoughts so far are:

The Good

- There's a huge amount of content. Some of the maps, like hinterlands, will take many hours to complete. And that's because there's a lot of interesting stuff to do on the - it's not just a large empty area.

- I'm enjoying the plot so far. Started off as a big mystery but parts of it are slowly being revealed. That said the ME3 experience was great until the end, so I can't comment definitively until I've finished it.

- Looks great. Voice acting is good too.

- Levelling speed seems about right - it's very possible to run into areas where you need to go elsewhere to level up a bit more before coming back.

The Bad

- Tactical view seems awful - unless I'm missing something there's no way to zoom out, meaning you can only see about 10 feet worth of battlefield. That said, companion AI seems fairly good so I'm playing just fine without using tactical view.

- The inventory screen is very fiddly. Separate menus for weapons, armor and accessories seems unnecessarily clunky. Similarly with creating/upgrading armor and weapons.

- Occasional crash so I need to save regularly. And I had to turn off crossfire which was causing it to crash very frequently.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. Seems like a great game - most of my bad points are fairly minor irritants rather than game breaking issues (although the crashing was pretty game breaking till I found a way to mostly fix it).
    jackjack
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2014
    Allow me to add a few tidbits; first of all, I'm running on a fairly old pc (intel quadcore q9550, 8gb DDR2 ram) but I bought Rx270 ati gpu.

And voilá, game offered me to choose mantle and I was like omg wtf...so I'm able to play on mostly high setting with occasional stutter here and there. And I must say I didn't expect it to be playable at all...they really did a good job optimising this game.

It is also first game on frostbite (3?) engine I bought and it looks just great, I'm sold. Lots to do, gather, upgrade, just looking around at landscape.

Controlling is a bit wonky, but well, this is a multiplatform game, so me with keyboard and mouse have to bend over and take it;) Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised, played already over 40 hours and still no crash.

BioWare really delivered this time.

EDIT: changed formatting, so it does not look like wall of text anymore. I hope.
    AristilliusFinneousPJjackjack
    so I found something a bit strange as I looked around everywhere in the western approach. I have no clue as to it's purpose, but there is this trophy hidden in a small crevice:

imageimageimage

i doubt anyone else would have any idea why it is there, but it seemed like an interesting find. might just be some collectible they got rid of before release.
    edited November 2014
    @ChildofBhaal599 Maybe a future dlc. But in all seriousness, collecting all the shards is frustrating enough for me. Poor horse should have been dead zillion times already;) Those places they put them, some are really wtf style.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @bengoshi That's great. I think people should give new school Bioware a chance, and if they don't like it, the old games aren't going anywhere.
    kaguanaAristillius
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am no blaming bioware or EA for that matter about Inquisition's state on the PC and the promises they made about it.

Consoles is where the money is AND to help drive the new consoles on the market before the holiday season, more resources needed to be funneled into them.

Most new titles for the next gen have been disappointments so it wouldn't surprise me that Microsoft and Sony went to EA to make sure the best experience can be found on thier systems.

Things will be patched and up to par in the new year and Bioware will funnel more resourses into the PC version then.
    Aristillius
    edited November 2014
    Made dwarf two-handed fighter, cried afterwards. Them swords and mauls look just ridiculous when wielded by a dwarf. Also impossible for me to make a good looking female human. I managed to make somewhat decent qunari female, elf, but the elven model is way too thin for me and dwarven lasses can have beards:O

ChildofBhaal599jackjack

Made dwarf two-handed fighter, cried afterwards. Them swords and mauls look just ridiculous when wielded by dwarf. Also impossible for me to make good looking female human. I managed to make decent qunari female, elf, but elven model is way too thin for me and dwarven lasses can have beards:O

wait... dwarven females can have beards? in all my time playing I have yet to meet an NPC female dwarf with a beard! i am going into the character creation to see this for myself...
    edited November 2014
    I am sure I saw a stubble in CC, dunno if they can do full beards. But this is better than nothing.
    Can justify this via RP that they are shaving everywhere;)

EDIT: It's under general tab.
    wubble

I am sure I saw a stubble in CC, dunno if they can do full beards. But this is better than nothing.
    Can justify this via RP that they are shaving everywhere;)

EDIT: It's under general tab.

yeah, I went to check earlier and surely enough there it was. just stubble, but oh well. now we got lady dwarves with beards, we can flirt with scout Harding, I forsee DA4 having a dwarf romance option! as unlikely as I would be to actually do it, it would be a first, and it would be good if I ever made a dwarf dude :)
    btw, I just found a way to make my rogue game-breakingly powerful. as it turns out, making me an artificer and having Varric with me (who is automatically an artificer), then getting the skill in that tree for 5% crit chance increase for the entire party, can be extremely OP. this is because of the amount of skills that activate on a crit that you can take advantage of your high chances with. another skill in artificer makes the rogue knock .5 second off cooldown times if anyone in the party crits, and 2 skills in sabatoge make you regain 10 stamina if the rogue crits and the other sunder the enemy on crit. (the first one is the most important) with the huge amount of crits we are doing, especially from my main, he and Varric are constantly capable of using their abilities as the cooldowns are almost non existent at times and they regain stamina super fast. now if my rogue gets to the back/flank of an opponent he can spam twin fangs, which is extremely power so long as you do it from the back/flank. that isn't to forget Varric, who may gain a bit less stamina due to his 28% crit versus my 44%, but he still has the fast cooldowns I have and 28% is still a high chance to regain stamina.

i think I'm going to head back to the hinterlands to fight that dragon now :)
    FinneousPJ
    edited November 2014
    just tested myself on the level 19 dragon in the storm coast. my party is level 16. on my first try, we got it to just above half health. i think i still need some leveling for that one, but i am pretty confident we will destroy the hinterlands dragon. it may be possible already, but I don't want to put the time into it when I can go after the easier one and save this for later. besides, soon I'll get solas the ability to shave half a second off cooldowns for each normal attack, so he can keep the barriers up more often. for now he makes due with the fire passive that removes cooldown time on the next spell after a crit, but that has a cooldown so if I need to put on another barrier too soon (or he doesn't crit before using it) I end up having to wait.
    After approx. 3 hours in CC (all my attempts to make passable human female over the days) I finally did it. She does not look like a harlot or like metrosexual anymore. Yay for me. Now if there was a way to save in the CC and then just load it, that would be awesome.
    wubble
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I wonder if this game is moddable. I don't know anything about the Frostbite game engine. Any how they really do need some hair mods. The hair style I chose for my character makes her look emo. :\
    From what little I know, I don't think so. Nexus Mods have no section about it yet. As to hair, I'm surprised they delivered some that don't look emo;)
    Other than the hair styles, the character faces look good and fleshy.
    edited November 2014
    This is a better close up.

Have to say the inventory system sucks. I prefer everyone to have their own inventory and not grouped all together. Especially when it comes to potions and the quantity being capped off.
    elminsterkaguanajackjack
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    From what I've heard, Frostbite is very...mod unfriendly. It isn't stopping people from trying, though. I just can't find the thread atm.
    i'm at least hoping they can manage a female to male animation conversion. in all my time playing it just doesn't feel right with Cassandra's personality that she walks like that, and if I made a female Inquisitor I don't think it would fit her either. and yeah, could use some hairstyles. as is, all we have are very generic hairs that fit both genders, as you get the same hairstyle choices with both genders. would be nice to have some made just for men/women
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Haven't played yet.

From what i see and hear, it's good, but, not if you're after a BG exact type game. Still solid as an experience though.

Some things to point out:

- Get a controller. Mouse and Keyboard have some problems. Like, you can't WALK, because they forgot to put a toggle for it. With a controller, depending on how you push the stick, you walk, jog or run which is more responsive. It's not just about immersion. When you push W to run, you RUN. And build momentum. Animations and physics are pretty realistic, so you are bound to move considerably if you try to build up running. So if you're in a tight space and try to manuever around without walking or jogging, but straight running, you might bang against walls and columns several times.

- The tactical camera uses WASD to move around, instead of mouse. Basically because it was designed to move around with a controller, not a mouse.

- An optimisation patch or newer drivers from AMD and Nvidia should come at some point soon. The game is not performing as it should FPS wise, and if your machine is NASA level, you're fine, but if it's not, well, you get it.

- Some of the side content, is just filler. But in general, the game feels solid, and at times the writing is actually really really good.(several friends i have that play it, have said this same thing, probably not a coincidence, take with a grain of salt).

- Some bugs, need to be sorted out. Nothing too game breaking, but some are annoying.

Anyway, i think it's a solid game, much better than DA2 from what i see so far, on par with Origins, except the combat.

I personally like what i see there, but i definetely see people getting alienated with suddenly healing tied to only one Mage specialization(the cleric-jedi like one, which is the melee Mage actually).

Also, what BelgarathMTH said is, sadly, true. BG-like tactical play with mouse only capable playthrough days are over, or almost over for Bioware.

I like controllers, because i can set the pace of run speed for example, but it feels different, and certainly a tacticaly game could use a mouse for faster commands. A stick, or WASD to move camera around, with clunky commands, will certainly make people wonder if this game was designed with PC in mind.

It wasn't. It was console first, and you know it. Nothing wrong with it, imo, not against consoles, but the advertisement was a bit... lame.

It was obvious though. Look at console sales. And PC ones, for a lot of games.

Consoles sell more. And if you make something, that needs to play on both consoles and PC, you have to make 2 UIs for combat and inventory. Right, fat chance of that. They will cut corners and port the console commands to the PC.

Oh well, that said, it's still a solid game, and i will play it when i have the chance, too much work now >.>

It's hell till around 17 December :/
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    honestly i still don't find myself hating the PC controls other than the tactical camera. it feels just like I am playing a faster paced Origins when not in the tactical camera. the tactical camera is where I feel like it is a bad port of a console game.

also I'll agree that I want a toggle walk button after having done the Winter Palace mission. it was a bit immersion breaking for me to run all over the party. i actually thought of plugging in my controller for that, but most games I need to restart to switch to controller and I wanted the KB+M for combat sections. i still greatly enjoyed that mission, though. it is easily the best one in the game so far. kind of reminds me of the prison section of DAO because it is more about dialogue and saying the right things to get the best outcome.
    Aristillius
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I don't think I'm going to bother with this game. I don't own a console or even a tv, and I'm not going to in the future.
    oops in the above post i didn't mean to say hating lol. i hate the tactical camera, not the rest