Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    bengoshi said:

Pecca said:

Based on what I read here, delaying seems to be a good choice. But delaying also costs money and they don't have much for spare (personal guess). I don't think they can afford to ship it "out only when it's ready", I think they have a limit.

In fact, they don't.

Feargus Urquhart, CEO Obsidian: "Since the very beginning of this project we promised our fans and ourselves that we would release this game only when we knew it would be absolutely ready for the best experience possible. We're very close to that point, but not quite there yet. The feedback we have received through our playtest process has been invaluable to us. We are coming into the home stretch but are pushing the release out just a bit to make sure we honor that promise we made originally. Thanks for your patience and support, it will be worth the wait."

As a side note, the announcement has already recieved 75 likes (!) on their forum - these figures say people, in general, support this decision.

And it's quite understandable, just check this list complied by Sensuki, one of the most active forumite...

Areas that need an improvement:

Performance
    Pathfinding - nuff said
    AI - nuff said
    Fog of War
    Persistence / Save Load
    Combat Feedback - is a mess / lacking
    Melee Engagement - is a mess
    User Interface Screens (most of them, excluding dialogue and scripted interaction)
    UI Options (things need to be toggleable, extra granularity, sliders implemented)
    More & Better Animations
    Spell FX - too flashy most of the time
    Attribute System (design/balancing)
    Recovery Time - needs a look
    Combat Speed & Pacing - too much pausing at the moment
    Health System - need to get adventuring day right in relation to game difficulty
    Movement Speed - too fast
    Weapon Balance - low dmg weapons suck unless you're a rogue
    Weapon Style balance - shields are bad on most classes, two weapon fighting is broken
    Ability & Spell Balance - some abilities and spells are garbage, some are OP
    Class Balance
    Creature Balance
    Area Navmesh issues - Dyrford Crossing has several navmesh issues
    Player Race Character Art - proportions, quality, visual recognition needs work
    Player Race Armor & Proportions - no uniformity yet
    Player Race Heads - a lot of them are unfinished
    Character Portraits - need more
    Sound Design - missing a lot of sounds
    Area Design (Mostly related to Dyrford Crossing, I have not spent time in Stormwall Gorge yet - one at a time)
    Controls - control schemes need work, functions need addition / splitting
    Graphical Issues - occlusion and sorting are big problems at the moment
    Environment and Character Colors - too washed out
    Talent System
    Character Creation / Leveling Up - need more stuff, change UI, change order
    Looting - not all characters drop their gear
    bengoshi , that is what a game is. Just a tl;dr , "they need to start over".
    edited November 2014
    Imitating is unhealthy if you are producing something. There is still BG , IWD , ... I really felt restless when I knew they were going to recreate that environments. Why ? Where is uniqueness ? What happened to " I have this scenario , this game , and I don't care about adjusting it to what I "think" people will like " ??

I really don't want to buy the game if it comes out like they are telling it to be. I don't want to spend money on something I know I can do better IF I had the money to produce it. I want a game , a story that I haven't thought of it , or I can say that I couldn't have thought of it , so I'll rest easy , I don't want to waste my time upon fury and dreaming , that when I play I will be haunted by "I could've done better , I could've done better...." It is confusing you know ? Is this game going to be fun like it's supposed to be , or just a mothery motivation attempt that we should earn more money so we could do better ?

I really would love to see some thoughts about this. I couldn't be the only one that feel like it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Well, if you analyse the recent development of PoE (after their decision to postpone the release) more closely, you'll see that Obsidian are working their socks off.

They're constantly trying to improve the build, they are listening to the support and to the critique, they are changing small things and sometimes not even small.

From what I see they're doing well. Even if it won't be BG or IWD, it's going to become quite an RPG! I like what I see and what I hear. I like the progress. I like the desire to improve.
    @bengoshi well I followed the forums a little much ago , true , and I have to admit I was checking it quite often along with Kung Fury. I lost the interest to it when I saw it looked like IE games much.

But , positivity , why not ? Let's see what they're going to do after finishing. I bought the last Divinity "after" I looked to the reviews. Because the second one was just too sloppy. Same could be done here. I'm not going to look to the forums now. At least reserving some factor of surprise. I really like that.

For improvement , however , I really don't like to participate. Because for me , a reformat is necessary. Mixing Diablo , IE , Dungeon Siege , Two Worlds all in a bunch is not that interesting for me.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    edited November 2014
    Yes the scripted interactions are awesome. The story is very interesting. I have a deep respect for Obsidians work. My only gripe right now is combat, but I am certain it will be improved (as I am not the only one)...
    @Sylvus_Moonbow‌ Ok , let's see the end work. A little less conversation...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2014
    as much as I want to love this game i'm going to leave it for a sale I think, i've seen so much over the last few months that has completely rained on the parade for me. Think ill grab witcher and dragon age instead and leave this abit. Feel free to laugh at me when invariably come back saying how great it is
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    I'm still really looking forward to this releasing and understand what we have access to currently has issues but wow the forums are pretty terrible.

Maybe it's just me being used to these forums or temporarily forgetting that yes I'm still on the internet...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

mm. The forums are a bit of a dogpile. I went there, threw down my opinions, then kinda saw everything get swept up and didn't follow. They definitely have a lot more people there. (Obsidian's made more games.)

Although I bet if Beamdog ever did a kickstarter game, lots of donators would be here clambering to make sure the devs did everything they wanted.

Yes. I tried to get involved in those forums but it seemed like most of the thread where either already well-worn 20+ pages and there was no point in commenting or they just didn't matter. The forums are also (I found) more convoluted and difficult to navigate.
    Also a lot of the threads seemed to be about other games and not PoE, but maybe that was the obsidian forums instead of the PoE forums. It was a while ago.
    edited December 2014
    Oh and the Elves still look too sad and miserable....
    But I gave it another try. I have spend like 10 hours in the beta, so I'm not an expert. I was really enjoying the atmosphere. The dialogues. Actually I like EVERYTHING, except... Yes, the COMBAT. The combat feels more like DA:O or some MMO, than the IE feel-- What a shame ... I still got my hopes up, that they will improve it somehow, but how? (getting rid of engagement is not gonna happen)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2014
    Seems like they are starting to ramp up promotion on both GOG and Steam at this point, wouldn't be surprised to see this within 3 or 4 months. Regardless of what is being said about the combat, I'm gonna support this game when it comes out. For one thing it seems like the system requirements are pretty lax (as I can't support "Divinity: Original Sin" on my laptop). For another, I feel like the spirit of the game and the developers is in the right place. It really does seem like a combination of all the Infinity Engine games put into a blender.

Lastly, even if the combat isn't as good, I'll get over it. I bought "Inquisitor" over the weekend and the combat is pretty much atrocious (not as bad as most have said but still awful) yet the game's atmosphere and ambition impressed me. In reality, really solid fluid gameplay is hard as hell to accomplish. Blizzard is a master of it, whatever you think of their games. The Infinity Engine games had it. But for whatever reason it is just very hard to accomplish without a world-class team. I bought a myriad of classic RPGs on GOG this weekend and very few of them have really solid gameplay mechanics. It's just a very rare imo.
    ^well about the system requirements @jjstraka34‌ : They said the game can run on an average machine. Now I know it's the beta, and the game will be polished and optimized, but it's really lagging, load times are very very tiresome. I'll admit my pc isn't state of the art, but it was brand-new when I bought PoE :smile:
    So I really hope that they will do something about that. Someone said that optimizations are the last thing to do. I have my fingers crossed...
    @Cluas‌ what are the specs on your computer?
    @meagloth‌ : AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz - Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Is there any hint of a release date besides "next year" that I have missed?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @badbromance‌

According to the game Developer, it's "early next year". http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68878-pillars-of-eternity-early-2015-beta-feedback-and-game-polish/

There's no more accurate date yet.
    Ok cheers.

Well hopefully them mean real damn early 2015 :/

Ok cheers.

Well hopefully them mean real damn early 2015 :/

like July?
    Yeah, some big game got it's release moved to May. So I hope April...
    By the way, I switched my monitor to a smaller one, now there is less lag. It is beyond my comprehension really, but I'll have to get a new computer soon I guess....
    News are news, no matter what color they are written in - Next time I will post in purple, just for you, my friend : p
    edited December 2014
    So as promised in purple:
    Beta v 392 is LIVE

No patch notes as of yet - Will update : )

Important Changes
    *You will notice quite a few combat balance changes in this build. Be on the lookout and let us know what you think.
    *You will notice many UI polish changes. Some screens may even be entirely new (loot screen, I'm looking at you).
    *Most of the icons are now in the game. There are still a few that are missing, but those should be few and far between.
    *Some final VO is in the game. You will also notice sound sets are in and hooked up.
    *Skill system has changed back to a point-buy system.
    *Talents are now organized during level up.