Skip to content

Original Item Icons?

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
So, if this was a feature to be implemented in the future to the game, would you prefer the original BG2 mace or plate mail icon as opposed to the BG ones?

EDIT: Poll 'original' meaning 'original BG2 icons'.

EDIT: Images for comparison, courtesy of Mike's RPG Center.

Mace BG icon (currently used in BG2EE)

Mace BG2 icon

Plate Mail BG icon (currently used in BG2EE)

Plate Mail BG2 icon

But, strangely, some repeat items' icons are overridden by the BG2 versions; for example, chainmail and split mail.

Chainmail BG1 icon

Chainmail BG2 icon (currently used in BG2EE)

Split Mail BG1 icon

Split Mail BG2 icon (currently used in BG2EE)
  1. Original Item Icons?43 votes
    1. Yes. I would prefer the original item icons.
      39.53%
    2. No. It's fine the way it is.
      60.47%
Post edited by dockaboomski on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    pics or it didn't happen
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Nah. The original icon have a bunch of random shit that doesn't make any sense. The BG1 icons actually look like the thing they're supposed to represent.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm confused original means bg1 right?
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited December 2014
    @wubble‌ No, the icons from BG2. Sorry for that, I'll change the poll descriptor.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

@wubble‌ No, the icons from BG2. Sorry for that, I'll change the poll descriptor.

no problem, Everybody ignore my vote I meant bg1 icons.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    It's alright like it is. That is interesting though, that the devs mixed them up.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I'm fine with as it's now.

The only thing that maybe could be changed is bringing back some consistency: it's strange indeed to see the BG2 versions for a Chainmail and the BG version for a Plate Mail.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I sooo don't care.
    bengoshi said:

I'm fine with as it's now.

The only thing that maybe could be changed is bringing back some consistency: it's strange indeed to see the BG2 versions for a Chainmail and the BG version for a Plate Mail.

I have a feeling it's done for consistency with the magical versions of the armor. Maybe the BG Plate Mail icon stays relevant when compared to magical plate mail?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I would vote for anything that gets rid of those ridiculous BG2 shields.
    @dunbar‌ Then you probably should have voted against them. The 'original' in this case means the 'original' BG2 icons. Sorry.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    that Split Mail BG1 icon, i can't stand it.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Yeah I prefer the bg2 icons and paperdolls. It gives the authentic feeling of the first time I played bg2. There is a mod for that called improved bams it gives bg2 icons to all items. Including subtle stuff like wands and mage robes,

I also happen to prefer bg2 paperdolls, I made up a mini mod from bg2 data and it works well with bg2:ee. Only slight bug is elf paperdolls look a bit goofy as helmets obscure their eyes, wonder if it was like this in the original. See screenshots. (And I play on Ipad no less) You can click on the screenshots to open them, they don't show previews like they used to, weird.
    Post edited by lunar on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think the reason why it covers their eyes is because the devs kind of revamped the helmet animation a little bit, and that may be the reason why they don't fit your dolls correctly because they are made to fit the dolls that they made?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    sarevok57 said:

I think the reason why it covers their eyes is because the devs kind of revamped the helmet animation a little bit, and that may be the reason why they don't fit your dolls correctly because they are made to fit the dolls that they made?

Yeah, maybe, but I like to imagine a nervous Aerie trying to peek out from under her badass war helmet that is far too large for her pretty little head. :-)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2014
    I think this was caused by the inclusion of the One Pixel Productions mod into BG2:EE?

Anyway I like most of the changes, but I also think some of them looked better in vBG2 (such as the Rune Hammer).

This comes with a caveat however. 1PP did seriously screw up many of the glow effects of BG2 weapons and armor. I strongly disapprove of this.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • tazartazar Member Posts: 3
    I'm a stickler for design consistency so I strongly prefer the original BG2 icons. Right now (BG2 EE 2.5) it's an inconsistent mix of styles and the BG1 style icons look clearly out of place.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    This is something that's been bugging me since release. I voted to go back to the original BG2 icons but honestly for me I just want consistency. Pick BG1 style or BG2 and stick with it all the way.

Another thing that bothered me is that some item icons are way off. Like the Mace +3 and the Runehammer, among others. They are not centered. Also, as someone else mentioned, several Throne of Bhaal items were changed but others weren't. The runehammer was changed to a generic warhammer icon but the axe of the unyielding remained unchanged.

Also I hate the TOB wands that look like Star Trek phasers, but that's always been that way. BG2 is all over the place with style and it's always bugged me.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    I'm happy with the current mix of "old" BG2 and BG1 icons - it's quite a pleasant balance, and it's good that it's not completely BG1.

Some of the original BG2 icons were very ugly (e.g. maces, battle axes, warhammers) as indeed were the paper-doll avatars on the inventory screen, so I'm glad that Beamdog were selective in the icons they chose.