Skip to content

A bunch of neat baldur.ini options in BG2EE 1.3 that I've noticed (carry overs from IWDEE)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
The line

'Game Options', 'Maximum HP', '1',

Lets you always get max HP regardless of the difficulty level. 0 means you don't always get max HP, a 1 means that you do. Default setting is 1.

'Game Options', 'Show Character HP', '1',

Determines whether or not the HP appears on your characters portrait. A 0 value means it doesn't, 1 means it does. Default setting is 1.

'Game Options', 'Nightmare Mode', '0',

Activates a Heart of Winter styled mode for the game (0 means its not active, 1 means it is). I don't know if it is exactly a copy of Heart of Fury from Icewind Dale, but I do know I just did probably around 300 damage to Illasera before she was killed (and in normal BG2 she has only 98 health). Also when I did finally kill her I got 21,000xp instead of her usual 10,000. Default setting is 0.

Edit: Apparently Nightmare Mode is untested and also benefits your joinable NPC's. Still might be an option for soloers.

'Game Options', '3E Thief Sneak Attack', '0',

Sneak Attack. Like the others 0 means its not active, 1 means it is. Presumably they follow the IWDEE's progression, though no progression for the ability is listed in any of the class/kit descriptions in game. An in-game option would have been nicer, since you could more easily switch on the fly then, but its still a welcome addition. Default setting is 0.

Edit: Apparently the sneak attack tables aren't in the game yet. So this option won't work at the moment unless you use a fix smeagolheart posted below

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/590168/#Comment_590168

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

If you want to have is so that you get all (or nearly all) of the druid spells then you can turn this to a 0. Its default is 1 (meaning you only get up to level 3 druid spells).
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Is the max hp roll an option you can turn on and off in game, without messing with the .ini file?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its default is 1, so you automatically get it without messing with the ini file. There isn't any in-game option to change it.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Those are indeed pretty great options to have!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Can't change the ini file on ipad I don't think?
    Not sure :(
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    What does 3rd edition style sneak attacks do?
    edited December 2014
    Wakukee said:

What does 3rd edition style sneak attacks do?

You can read more about it in the IWDEE 2nd manual here.

http://cdn.icewinddale.com/files/IWDEE_Manual_2_-_Mastering_Melee_&_Magic.pdf

Presumably it works the same.

Basically it replaces backstab. Instead when you have this enabled you can move your thief behind a target and hit them with a sneak attack (unlike backstab your thief does not have to be hidden for it to work). The attack does extra damage and can cause things like the enemy suffering from a Thac0 increase/damage decrease (as a result of getting a "critical strike"). It will only work once on an enemy however.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited December 2014
    From IWDEE Manual:
    Sneak Attacks and Crippling Strikes
    If “3E Sneak Attack” is enabled in the Gameplay Options menu, backstabs (see below)
    are replaced with sneak attacks and crippling strikes.
    When sneak attacks are in effect, any time a Thief or Stalker attacks an opponent from a
    flank or rear position, they can do additional damage once (and only once) to that
    opponent. A sneak attack does not require the attacker to be hidden or moving silently in
    order to work (although these skills can help them get into position). Critical hits do not
    double sneak attack damage.
    Successful sneak attacks also cripple opponents, reducing their to-hit and damage rolls.
    Creatures affected by these crippling strikes regain their normal to-hit and damage rolls
    one turn after being struck.
    Sneak attacks and crippling strikes improve based on level and kit. See the kit descriptions
    for more details
    EDIT
    Elminster beat me to it >.<
    Also, I can't seem to get the Ranger one to do anything.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited December 2014
    The first thing I noticed is that all the low end sound effects in the intro movies sound great. They used to sound like ass so this is an improvement that I appreciate very much. One of my complaints about the original EE was the crackling every time some base would come into the soundscape.

I do think the sneak attack option is interesting. It will make the backstab benefits more useful to those that don't like to use sneak during combat and it keeps you from exploiting the backstab by only allowing it to work once per a target.

It would be great if they would allow a difficulty option that will increase the HP of enemies without increasing the XP that you receive. I already play on insane and would love to ditch using mods like SCS but I don't want to mess up the balance of character progression by adding a bunch of XP that shouldn't be there. On the flip side you will finally be able to hit that 8 million XP cap with a 6 person party without having to farm so it's not all bad.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
    edited December 2014
    I will proabably enable the sneak attack option this time through the game. Something I may try is playing SOA on insane and then enabling HOF mode for the TOB portion of the game. That way I could reach the XP cap without farming and it would give all of the enemies and boss characters of TOB a heavy dose of HP to add some challenge. At that point your abilities are already peaked and the added XP won't do much to off balance your character. Thanks for pointing out these options BTW. Demigorgan will be a better challenge with his HP pushed through the roof.

I also appreciate the option to turn off the hit point display on the character portraits. I can see why some would like it but the red bar of damage is sufficient for me. The whole screen feels organic and the digital numbers didn't feel right for me. The more options the better. It would be nice to have them in the game menu but the .ini works all the same I suppose.
    Post edited by the_sextein on
    elminster said:

Wakukee said:

Also, I can't seem to get the Ranger one to do anything.

Well, I left it at the default 1 and made a cleric/ranger in tob. I noticed with that that I had access to only up to level 3 druid spells. I changed the value to 0 and made a new character in ToB and found that I could get druid spells levels 1-7.
    I tried the same thing, can only access 3rd level. I'll sort it out after finals.
    In the starting dungeon Imoen did 170 damage to the mephit with the dagger she found in the first room. I would say that the 3E sneak attack option is not ready to be used yet. Also under imoen's stats, instead of saying 3X backstab it gives a huge number that is probably responsible for the massive damage she is dealing out. Oh well, someday maybe. I probably won't mess with the HOF mode either. Not unless beamdog publicly states that it is ready and can be used with BG.
    edited December 2014

In the starting dungeon Imoen did 170 damage to the mephit with the dagger she found in the first room. I would say that the 3E sneak attack option is not ready to be used yet. Also under imoen's stats, instead of saying 3X backstab it gives a huge number that is probably responsible for the massive damage she is dealing out. Oh well, someday maybe. I probably won't mess with the HOF mode either. Not unless beamdog publicly states that it is ready and can be used with BG.

Funny I had it active and she did 3 damage (no mention of a sneak attack either). So yea, either way it doesn't look like it is ready.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I was thinking "It's fantastic", but I realized I use an iPad.... and you can't edit the .ini.....
    :(
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    So let me get this straight, I am going to use the Android version, so i am required to have max HP rolls on every level up? Am I the only one that is disappointed by this?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @CField17‌ Once it's installed you can edit baldur.ini to disable it, although if you're like me and don't want to fiddle with files from within your device, you'll want to USB-connect your device to your desktop and edit the file there.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    wait, I didn't realize that before. default is now max hp? guess I am going to have to change that. I am a bit of a gambler (lol I am not even 21 to gamble irl and I am saying that) and like the randomness of it. i usually don't start going for max until I realize I've had a few very unsuccessful level ups that if I don't get some good ones to offset I will be at a severe disadvantage.

i guess I'll have to see. i already now play on insane with both SCS and ascension, so it seems I have more than enough difficulty to offset a bit of hp. if I ever did a playthrough without the mods however I wouldn't be wanting the extra help.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2014
    @bengoshi‌ I've been using my level-adder mod and SCS to get the same result--higher level opponents (without insane XP bonus (instead, since I play solo I prefer enemies to give less XP) and with a manageable amount of HP, because imagine a SCS Dragon with it's HP multilied by 3 gets the HoF bonus O_o) and a harder game.

Edit: posted the comment begore having finished writing it. Stupid phone.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    CrevsDaak said:

imagine a SCS Dragon with it's HP multilied by 3

I know it's winter and supposed to be snowing, but I feel a typhoon brewing in the south.

Can't wait to try this, damn you work and your damnable paycheck!
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    elminster said:

The line

'Game Options', 'Maximum HP', '1',

Lets you always get max HP regardless of the difficulty level. 0 means you don't always get max HP, a 1 means that you do. Default setting is 1.

Haven't had time to play yet and I'm bit confused about this option. Does this mean that unless you edit your ini your characters will always get max hp on level ups now?