Skip to content

I found a tweak to play hardest without increased damage.

Hello there!

Those who have played IWD or IWDEE on hardest (not talking about HoF) may have noticed that pushing the slider forward may increase the number of enemies per area. You will fight 4 ogres at the orc cave, instead of one. Another case I remember is that there will be several extra trolls in dragon's eye.

I've always seen it as a another example of how considerate the developers were when it came to tactics (even more than on BG1, I must say) , because fighting those extra enemies did not make the game insanely difficult, it has actually made certain battles more fun and rewarding.

But there was the matter of double damage. A single hit from the orc archer could cause 15 damage and send your level 1 party to death's halls in a single round.

So , by investigating certain area and monster scripts , I found out the script that added these extra monsters , and edited it so I could play it on Core Rules and still get the extra challenge.

So I'm making these .bcs files available for those who may be interested in extra challenge but no extra damage, just save them on your override folder.. If you also know other tweaks that make the game more interesting/challenging, please tell us.

JuliusBorisovPibaroronaldobob_vengKerthalReticentkensailunarjackjackreivisionCrevsDaaklolienCluasproccoTEMNOZORANIrbisRAM021

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Please make a mod that removes the extra XP. That's the real problem with HoF mode.
    jackjackCrevsDaaklolien
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I haven' come around to start tweaking/modding the game yet, but I gotta say this is damn interesting. It removes the double experience which make you level (too) fast but keep much of the fun with increased number of enemies. I personally kinda like the challenge of double damage, though, since a single misplaced fireball can wipe out my frontliners, hehe.. It's not uncommon to get 30 dmg in one hit from a decent enemy, which I offset by cheesing out with "max HP on level up".

Next playthrough I will probably mod the game somewhat, and this may be one of the things I add.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2015
    @bengoshi , the files I've uploaded don't appear in the post anymore , is it normal? I mean, does the moderation block files , and if they do, how can I legitimate them?

Nevertheless, here is the dropbox link to them:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/48sb0p9zby44m62/iwd scripts.rar?dl=0
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @DJKajuru‌ I can see the file normally. Can you confirm if you still can't?
    JuliusBorisovPibarojackjackCrevsDaak
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Does this also remove the double xp on non-HoF games while playing on insane? So we get:

-increased enemy spawns
    -normal enemy damage
    -normal xp rewards?
    FinneousPJ
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Kerthal said:

lunar said:

Does this also remove the double xp on non-HoF games while playing on insane? So we get:

-increased enemy spawns
    -normal enemy damage
    -normal xp rewards?

I think this tweak will allow you to play on CORE difficulty with the increased enemy spawns. So this should cover all the points you listed ^^
    Oh, okay then. Misunderstood.
    Cool!
    JuliusBorisov
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    This is fantastic. Thank you @DJKajuru !
    DJKajurulunarJuliusBorisov
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I can't tell from the comments here if this lets you play with INSANE spanws on Core, or HoF spawns, all with normal damage and XP? As I understand it, HoF mode is INSANE + 1 in terms of spawns.
    agris said:

I can't tell from the comments here if this lets you play with INSANE spanws on Core, or HoF spawns, all with normal damage and XP? As I understand it, HoF mode is INSANE + 1 in terms of spawns.

It lets you play with INSANE spawns on Core.

TEMNOZORANJuliusBorisovagris
  • TEMNOZORANTEMNOZORAN Member Posts: 54
    THANK YOU DJKAJURU !

I wanted this for years, I played the original IWD when it was released and I always had this difficulty problem:

How to get more monsters without making them stronger and without earning more experience points?

Now the game will be a real challenge

thank you again
    JuliusBorisovreivisionDJKajuru
    Now if only there was a compatible version of Ding0's Experience Fixer to cut down monster/quest XP by X%, we could preserve the progression curve of the party.
    edited February 2015
    I edit my characters at each chapter with EEkeeper to remove some experience points, it works very well
    agris said:

Now if only there was a compatible version of Ding0's Experience Fixer to cut down monster/quest XP by X%, we could preserve the progression curve of the party.

Ding0's experience fixer seems to be working with BG2EE, have tried it on IWDEE?
    It would be great to get such a mod for IWDEE , leveling too fast ruin the game
    DJKajuru
    edited March 2015
    DJKajuru said:

agris said:

Ding0's experience fixer seems to be working with BG2EE, have tried it on IWDEE?
    I haven't, but the readme says:

Section II: Installation
    ------------------------
    BGII and ToB are required.

edit: after looking in the PPG forums, I found this from Angel, the curator:

"The creature-, mage/thief- and quest XP fixers should theoretically work on BG(2)EE (or any IE game for that matter) since they are written as patches, unless the EE games introduce new ways of gaining XP that these patches don't cover. The mod covers creature XP, the xpbonus.2da table, the xplist.2da table, dialogs and scripts that use the AddexperienceParty() or AddXPObject() actions and spells that use opcode 104. (Come to think of it, items could use opcode 104 too. Perhaps I should look into that. Does any game or mod implement something like the Libram of Silver Magic or the Tome of Exalted Deeds?)"
    Varwulf