Skip to content

Never Seen Star Wars

CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
So, stealing from a BBC show which most people here will have probably never heard of, the idea here is to make a list of things you have never seen/read/partook in, even though they are really popular and everyone else always talks about them. Any kind of pop-cultural phenomenon that for whatever reason you've stayed out of.

So, there are two really big game franchises that I have never played.

The first is Final Fantasy. Years ago I saw my friend playing one the SNES/Famicom, but I've just never been interested in them. I have played several other JRPG's, like the Tales Of series and even Star Ocean because someone gave it to me when I got my Xbox 360... but yeah, I don't know why but the Final Fantasy games just never appealed to me. I've seen pictures, and maybe it's just that the character designs don't appeal to me.

The second is Tomb Raider. Never even seen the movies. Since the original game was released there was a lot of fuss about Lara's polygons and how 'hawt' they are, but honestly... I just don't think she's that attractive, and that and all the other hype surrounding actually just buts me off ever wanting to play them. I might possibly give the new one a try since it's written by Rhianna Pratchett and maybe I'll finally be able to take Lara seriously as an actual tomb raider.

For movies... it's hard to think of any major ones I've never seen. But probably the biggest in it's day that I haven't watched, at least not all the way through, is The Blair Witch Project. And the reason is actually quite silly and petty. See, back in the day, I edited several films. I packed that in because I never got paid anything I was promised by the people I worked with (and if you want to know what happened to any of those films... well, you'd have more chance of finding The Day the Clown Cried than any of those). But anyway, I had the revolutionary idea of making an alien invasion/war of the worlds type of movie, but, all told through found camcorder footage after the event and you would mostly just see alien war machines in the distance blowing stuff up while our characters are running away. But, while my idea was pooh-poohed, what should come out shortly after? The Blair Witch Project. And since then a string of found footage movies that I've grown to hate. I mean, this was back when camcorders were becoming more affordable and so it was probably natural that many people around the world were thinking along those lines. So I was bitter at the time. Now I think I probably should watch it, and maybe I'll even enjoy it.

For books... well I've never read Harry Potter. Being older when they came out and not having kids of my own, I've never felt that I was the target audience for them. I have seen the films though.

And TV... well there are lots of shows I've never watched. Never seen Big Brother, or X-Factor or Pop Idol or whatever... reality TV never really appeals to me. These days I mostly watch comedies or documentaries on TV, and there are a lot of much hyped shows I've never watched. Dexter, Breaking Bad, Lost, Deadwood, Supernatural, Arrow... to name a few. The reason is that when I start getting into something I can't stop, I have to see it all the way through, so particularly if I'm coming in late to something I need to set aside a lot of time to do it.
Post edited by Tresset on
booinyoureyesJuliusBorisovSmilingSwordBaldursCatTeflon

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2015
    Fixed. Good.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
    I don't want anyone misled by the title here... I have actually seen Star Wars. All six movies to date, and the christmas special. Never watched any of the animated series though, or the made for TV Ewok films.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
    Drugar said:

Coutelier said:

I don't want anyone misled by the title here... I have actually seen Star Wars. All six movies to date, and the christmas special. Never watched any of the animated series though, or the made for TV Ewok films.

For a moment there I was worried about your wellbeing. Not having seen Star Wars, perish the thought!
    It's why the BBC chose that as the title for their show... it's such a huge part of pop-culture that you assume everyone must have seen it. I'm sure there are probably some people who haven't who aren't necessarily from some lost human colony in another star system or something.

Although if we were to actually follow the format of that TV/radio show, I would then have to go and try all the things I've said I've never done and then talk about what I thought having experienced them for the first time... I really don't have time to play Final Fantasy right now though.

Although probably more shocking on this forum... I've never played KotoR.
    wubble said:

I haven't played Planescape:Torment.

That is even more shocking.
    CrevsDaak
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Coutelier said:

wubble said:

Sorry.
    CrevsDaak
    wubble said:

Coutelier said:

wubble said:

Sorry.
    It's probably just as well, since if you believe all the praise it gets, you'll play it and then never want to play another RPG because you'll see that the genre has just peaked with that game and there'll never be anything that can follow it ever.

And I've played it and I do think it's really good and well written.
    CrevsDaak
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    wubble said:

I haven't either. I own it though. It's just sitting in my bedroom somewhere, waiting to be played...

I never got around to reading Harry Potter because I had a seriously disturbing ego problem when I was a little writer doodling in journals. "Why is this Harry Potter so darn popular!? I could write something WAY better than that!"

Oh how I wish I could travel back in time and slap myself around a little.

I haven't read the Twilight books for obvious reasons, but the boyfriend loves it (!!) and I made a promise to him long ago that I'd read the first one... I don't know how much longer I can put that off.

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and never will because of all the god-awful things I've heard about it.

As for movies, there are plenty I've never seen, but the biggest ones the boyfriend won't stop hammering me on are The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. Really need to set a stay-at-home movie date at some point...
    elminsterCoutelierwubbleJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    umm... breaking bad & game of thrones, off the top of my head. Also most popular console games (Halo, whatever)
    Coutelier

wubble said:

I haven't either. I own it though. It's just sitting in my bedroom somewhere, waiting to be played...

I never got around to reading Harry Potter because I had a seriously disturbing ego problem when I was a little writer doodling in journals. "Why is this Harry Potter so darn popular!? I could write something WAY better than that!"

Oh how I wish I could travel back in time and slap myself around a little.
    Yeah, I went through a phase like that. Like I mentioned in my first post, I really wanted to get into making films and TV, and turned my nose up at just about anything that got made or that I had decided was stolen from one of my ideas. Still gutted that Alan Moore actually travelled through time to steal Watchmen from me. What a git.
    I haven't read the Twilight books for obvious reasons, but the boyfriend loves it (!!) and I made a promise to him long ago that I'd read the first one... I don't know how much longer I can put that off.

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and never will because of all the god-awful things I've heard about it.
    I've never read those either, but I have seen the Twilight films, but only with Rifftrax. I'm one of about a dozen people outside North America who liked MST3K and the like, and I've also always enjoyed and had a soft spot for B-Movies.

That said, I've never watched The Human Centipede.

Nonnahswriter
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Oooooh, a thread that opposes popular movements! What nice opportunity to just come and make a post like this saying that people should be reading J. A. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, H. Ibsen's A Doll's House and The Enemy of the People and W. Goethe's Faust instead of bonknovels featuring rape and the author considering them a tragedy or drama because the protagonist's GF dies (that always bothers me. That's not a tragedy, it's just a dramatic author, or stupid reviewers/editors, that's pretty common these days too). Real tragedies haz ppl tearing out their eyes of their sockets in regret!

OK... Enough bashing I think. And actually regarding the topic... I never get what's up with people going after other people (hypothetically, alright?) and everyone doing the same. That's why I don't get the point of facebook... I mean, you can send emails, there are newgroups, there was/is/what? the Usenet... I think it's totally pointless (besides it's creator hoarding money like no other, that makes up a point, and the NDA putting everything on their network, too). That's why I criticize a lot people when they say things like "Some think it's cool" "Somebody say that isn't cool" I mean... I prefer people telling me their thoughts (if any) instead of telling them to stop following everything blindly as a sheep. Also calling people and massive moments sheep hoarding (actually a friend had the idea for the term, when I told him I was looking for one for that) is sort of a hobby of mine already.
    really, I should leave this thread before people want to kill me.
    CoutelierJuliusBorisovskinnydragon
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    wubble said:

Niether have I.

My wife has also never watched Star Wars.

She promised me we could watch it together, after I, we, watched the female equivalent first.

Dirty Dancing.

I'd never watched it before... Plus it sounded kinda kinky, and I thought... Wow! This is going to be the best weekend ever!

Dirty Dancing was not even slightly mucky...

No worries. This all happened on the planet Alderran and would soon be blown away from my memory banks.

Wife needed her beauty sleep or some such. Watched it on my own.

She who can't be named has tricked me into watching crap on the promise of then watching Star Wars. Great sounding films Ghost, (Busting makes me feel good, I think not.) Footloose (screw it back on...) Twins (take it back... that was epic cinematography!)

Still... No Star Wars. She can also fall asleep during the first two seconds of Lord of the rings...
    CoutelierJuliusBorisovSmilingSword
    edited February 2015
    Anduin said:

She can also fall asleep during the first two seconds of Lord of the rings...

That's a remarkable skill. My mum does that when we watch things as a family, she falls asleep part way through then right at the really tense moment...

She wakes up and tries to get us to explain what went on for the last hour.
    CoutelierAnduin
    I do have a facebook account, I think... I seem to recall having to sign up for it at some point for some reason. But... yeah, suffice to say I never really use it.
    Nimran
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I have never read anything written by Tolstoy. And I've never seen Citizen Kane. Not sure I want to either tbh, it's all black and white and I already know that it was his sled.
    Ah... Citizen Kane. Often regarded by film makers as one of, if not the greatest film of all time. And yet, it has a pretty enormous plot hole in it, right at the beginning...

It's all about a reporter trying to decipher the meaning of the title character's last words... only when we see him die at the beginning and speak those words, there is no-one else around who could have heard them.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Man, I was gonna come with my usual line for those who have not yet seen Star Wars: "You MUST WATCH IT IN THIS ORDER AND NO OTHER: 4,5,1,2,3,6" but you actually saw Star Wars....

My list is long (as are most) but one big one is Citizen Kane as well.

I have not seen any Dr. Who (though I really have no interest) yet people keep telling me I am a crazy person for this.

Never read the Song of Ice and Fire books because I *gasp* don't want to spoil the show. Go ahead, judge me.

I'm a HUGE fan of westerns but I never saw The Wild Bunch, which is something I will have to correct. Also a huge noir fan but have yet to see Double Indemnity and The Third Man.

I have a ton in gaming. Never played any Final Fantasy games. Never played any Dragon Age Games. Never played any Mass Effect. Never played any Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or Halo or whatever shooting games. Never played Grand Theft Auto. Never played any Warcraft things. Never played any Skyrim or whatever games. I'm sure there are a lot more but I have to go now, but will check in on this interesting thread.
    meagloth said:

umm... breaking bad & game of thrones, off the top of my head. Also most popular console games (Halo, whatever)

Well, @meagloth , this is a sign of good parenting. You are not old enough to watch those yet!
    CrevsDaakCoutelierJuliusBorisovAnduin
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I've never seen The Blair Witch project. I just don't have an interest in those types of films. I LOVE horror, I just hate pseudo "real" ghost stories.

I've never read Harry Potter, though I have seen all of the movies.

I've never read The Foundation Trillogy by Asimov. Don't kill me.

I've never seen "Into the Mouth of Madness" despite being a HUGE John Carpenter fan. Nor have I seen Darkstar, so.....

I unfortunately HAVE seen all of the Twilight movies. Boy was that painful.
    CoutelierJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Movies: The Matrix (until I finally did last year) I use to work in a movie theater so I am well versed in feature length films. However, there are a lot of newer movies I haven't seen but I don't think there is anything ground breaking or pop culturally important to be seen.

TV: Two and Half Men, Big Bang Theory, American Idol/Canadian Idol (there is actually a lot of TV I dont watch)

Books: I am not a big novel reader, so any big name book I probably never read it nor plan to, Fire and Ice or whatever Game of Thrones is based off of I never plan on reading. Same with the Walking Dead comics.

Games: World of Warcraft, Ultima etc...
    CoutelierJuliusBorisov

I have not seen any Dr. Who (though I really have no interest) yet people keep telling me I am a crazy person for this.

In the UK you have no choice. But personally I much preferred the classic Who, when you would have scenes like an actor obviously pulling an inflatable chair over his own head to try and make it look like it was attacking him, or there was dinosaur story I remember where the dinosaurs were crappy rubber things like you find in a cereal packet superimposed on the screen.
    I have a ton in gaming. Never played any Final Fantasy games. Never played any Dragon Age Games. Never played any Mass Effect. Never played any Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or Halo or whatever shooting games. Never played Grand Theft Auto. Never played any Warcraft things. Never played any Skyrim or whatever games. I'm sure there are a lot more but I have to go now, but will check in on this interesting thread.
    No I'm not into shooting games either so haven't played most of those. I have played all the other things you mention, but not World of Warcraft... MMO's just don't appeal to me. People are annoying enough in real life, and I shudder to think of having to deal with those same people inside a virtual world.

I've never read The Foundation Trillogy by Asimov. Don't kill me.

I'm a big fan of sci-fi, but I've never read anything by Philip K. Dick, even though I'm sure I've seen every movie based on his work.

booinyoureyesthe_spyder
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Where would I even start watching Dr. Who?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

The hardcore fans might crucify me, but I think you can start from the beginning of the modern series (9th Doctor), in fact I started at the start of the Matt Smith (11th Doctor) and then went back and watched all of the David Tennant (10th Doctor) too. Doctor Who has a ridiculous amount of lore and history, but you don't need to go back to the very beginning to understand what's happening most of the time.

As for the topic of this thread, until fairly recently (last year), I ACTUALLY hadn't seen Star Wars Episodes 4, 5 and 6, but had seen 1, 2 and 3.

I also haven't watched The Walking Dead, Prison Break, Lost, or Breaking Bad.
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

The David Tennant episodes.

Or the Tom Baker episodes. Those two tend to be the must-sees of the community.
    HeindrichwubbleJuliusBorisov
    It would be impossible to watch all of Dr Who from the very beginning anyway, even if you had that amount of time, since the BBC 'lost' a lot of the early episodes.

But the premise of the show is he has a machine that can travel anywhere in time and space, so one week it'll be a sci-fi set in another galaxy, then it will be a period drama where he meets Jane Austen or something but there's a polymorphing alien around as well... there are 'arcs' in the new seasons, but the mostly the stories aren't connected.
    wubble
    You're pretty safe starting at the start of any doctor, so long as you don't come in mid storyline everythings fine, storylines aren't generally carried between doctors and if they are they're recapped in a friendly way.
    JuliusBorisovBaldursCat
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Hmm.. let's see... I've never...

seen a single episode of Friends
    watched or read Game of Thrones
    seen The Walking Dead or read the comic
    finished Planescape Torment
    danced with the devil in the pale moonlight
    danced on the head of a pin as well
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]NonnahswriterCrevsDaak
    kcwise said:

seen a single episode of Friends

How could you not?

You've never experienced Bing humour.
    You've never been confused by Phoebe's logic.
    You've never learnt the Joey method of seduction!
    kcwise