Skip to content

What are your pet peeves ?

ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
For the people who don't know what pet peeves are "An irritating experience caused by others in which you cannot control". So basically small things that annoy you. The "little things that annoy you" thread inspired me for this one. Only this one is for things in RL not in BG. Mine are:

-when I pay in cash and I get my change and the person giving it to me puts the coins on top of the bills and I have to seperate it before I can put it in my wallet and in the meanwhile I'm holding up the whole queue in the store and everybody's giving me dirty looks and going "pfffffff" "
-when I'm walking in a hallway and there are only two people ( me and the other person ) and when we pass eachother they act like they don't see me. And I'm just like at least nod or something.
-when I wash my hands in public and there is a hand dryer but it's like the weakest ever
-when people use too long hashtags, like please do not write a Harry Potter novel in your hashtag.
-the little skin at your nail and you try to rip it off or peel it off and it just keeps coming back and it hurts like hell
-when you're telling a story and someone interrupts you and goes " ow sorry sorry " and then they continue their story . That's so rude.
-when people wear sunglasses inside
-I hate when someone bumps into you and don't apologize, they just look at you like you've punched them in the face
-when I miss your call and I call you right back and you don't pick up.
- when you hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you

So I'm just curious what are your pet peeves ?
Post edited by ShadowHunter on
wubbleNonnahswriterlolienMusignykcwiseJuliusBorisovNimranDJKajuru

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    O_Bruce said:

- People smoking in public...
    - ...Especially in places when it is clearly forbidden

^ THIS. Bus station. With "No Smoking" signs plastered EVERYWHERE. Bonus irritation if there's a child in a stroller nearby.

Along with...

-When I just open my till at the cash register, and the first customer tries to pay with a hundred dollar bill. Bonus irritation if they're buying something super trivial like a piece of candy.

-When my hair gets super greasy and gross after one day of cleanliness.

-When you're walking in the rain and your face is all cold and damp, but the rest of you tucked inside your rain coat is super hot and sweaty.

-When you're on a climactic point in a video game and the power goes out. Or your laptop battery dies without warning you. Bonus rage if your last save was from two hours ago.

-When you're playing an online game and you get super massive lag and connection issues that kill you. Again. And again. And again.
    lolienMusignykcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    wubble said:

Not intending to offend people for whom English is not their first language as this doesn't apply to them, but I have an uncontrollable rage toward poor use of the English language. It's mainly directed at people who should know better, basically anyone that primarily speaks English. I hate it when people dont pronounce the H in words like Herb, I hate it even more when people say AN HISTORIAN even if you miss the h when you say it, the word AN is only used to avoid two vowels being together, the correct way is A HISTORIAN. Another one is ALUMINUM, does anyone ever say pottassum or sodum? NO! but they do say aluminum and it drives me CRAZY! :angry: Feel free to point out any spelling/grammar mistakes in my future posts :)

- when you hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you

This really gets me as I'm one of those few (where i grew up at least) that actually holds a door open for people and sometimes they don't just "forget" to say thanks but they scowl at you as they pass.
    Linguisticly, the H is very complicated... have you noticed you pretty much have to aspirate, IE breath out? In Attic Greek, the H means just that... a strong aspiration more than an H (try saying just 'a H'... it sounds atrocious). In English, pronunciations have in fact changed immensely over time, and aspirating or dropping an H, or adding one in front of vowels is more an anachronism than truly wrong.

The door thing is kinda 'meh' for me. Its polite to say thank you, or otherwise acknowledge, bit it can be awkward. I usually just say 'thanks', but I also say excuse me more than most.

On the whole, I generally take the angle that unless its really egregious, most annoyances aren't worth caring about. Life can be complicated enough without worrying about the way people hand you your change... if you live in the US, how much is chsnge even worth? Just accept quarters, I know few people other than me thst are comfortable paying exact change for anything anyways!

Perhaps I don't get annoyed often because I am the annoying one? I have spent +15$ in chsnge on many occasions... I have even bought a few pitchers of beer with nickels... but only on slow nights. ;)
    lolienMusignykcwise
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2015
    ^ I agree with practically all of this.
    CrevsDaakelminsterlolienkcwise
    I agree Firewine deserves a special mention... one big, massive prank by the devs imho. I will not be bringing a party through that Dungeon ever again... at least you can bypass it, or just never go in. A place that cool looking inside and out, with ghosts, with tons of very deadly traps, Kobold Commandos, and pathfinding issues, it MUST be a joke.

The guy with the Lightning Bolt scroll is usually the punchline, unless you can drop him before he starts casting.
    CrevsDaaklolienMusignykcwise
    @Tresset Turtle soup is pretty tasty actually, was this the end goal?
    wubbleCrevsDaaklolienkcwise
    @DreadKhan I certainly don't harm them or eat them or anything. I am an animal lover even more than I am a BG lover and I enjoy catching them to learn about them and marvel at their coolness. I release the vast majority of the ones I catch before I go home, but some of them I keep as pets if I find them unique.
    lolienkcwiseNonnahswriterBlackraven
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I can only hope you do care about and treat them well :).
    wubblelolienkcwiseJuliusBorisov
    O_Bruce said:

I can only hope you do care about and treat them well :).

I love them and I do my best to take good care of them.
    wubblelolienkcwise
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ronaldo said:

My #1 pet peeve: People who won't walk the extra few feet to put their shopping cart in the cart corral! No it's too far they would rather leave it stranded in the parking lot blocking a parking spot and potentially rolling into someone's car.

Yea this is an annoying one. I have a parent who will go around and put them all back.
    kcwiselolienMoradinthe_spyder
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    kcwise said:

Lots of fun points. I have nothing to add really, but I do want to name a cat or dog Peeves at some point. Just for the giggles.

Wasn't peeves the poltergeist in Harry Potter, I can't remember properly as he was never in the films and it's been at least 7 years since I last read the books.
    kcwiselolienCrevsDaak
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    That's weird. Book was the first thing I thought of when I read the title.
    Also, people who simply talk over you as soon as something pops into their heads.
    -People who give five minute long directions to get anywhere. Just give me the address plz, I can look it up.
    kcwiselolienCrevsDaak
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    -Obnoxious loud people who pretend to know more than they do.

I don't mind a little cockiness if you can back it up, but idiocy + arrogance (is that ignorance?) is infuriating.

- Ignorant haters.

This category includes all sorts of people like racists, religious fanatics, political extremists (of all varieties) etc... It's okay to have an opinion, but if you really care about something, you should understand the opposing views too.
    lolienCrevsDaakkcwiseJuliusBorisov
    @Heindrich Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge. It is independent of arrogance.
    lolienCrevsDaakkcwiseJuliusBorisov