Skip to content

Why is the last fight in IWDale 1 so Horrificly unfair?

13»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    While mods/admin are free to act as they see fit, and I won't continue my previous discussion, I do not appreciate mods accusing me of fighting when I feel I have neither insulted nor been rude. I do however totally accept that the preceding discussion had moved well out of the scope of the thread, and on that level is not entirely appropriate regardless of how polite or impolite it may be.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    ugh stop it guys
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I think one of the big problems with this fight is that Thieves are fairly useless for it: they can't disarm the traps, they have no opportunity to sneak attack, and they can't set their own traps either. A Lower Resistance spell would also be swell, as Mages don't have a big part to play in events either save for buffings and kiting around Golems while everyone else does some hurt.

I don't think this is the toughest final battle, however. Probably the least enjoyable, due to the stringent strategy limitations that it imposes upon a 6-person group, but not the toughest. IWD2's final battle is much tougher, while also allowing you to use your party however you know best to come out the victor.
  • CershenCershen Member Posts: 27
    edited February 2015
    Did anybody use a strategy which relies heavily on Shield of Lathander? When I got to this fight, I only had three characters left (the others died permanently during the course of the game): an elven cleric, an undead hunter, and a dwarven fighter. Despite them being high level after finishing the HOW content, I found the fight difficult and was forced to get creative.

Since iron golems could easily disrupt my cleric by belching out their poisonous fog, I had my fighters make a beeline for them right away, causing them to blow their load early (so to speak). Everyone then retreated to the steps from which Everard had descended and buffed as much as possible while Belhiphet and his minions approached. My fighters had a much easier time of it in this bottleneck and my cleric, protected at the back as she was, could comfortably cast Greater Shield/ Shield of Lathander, Heal, as needed. My fighter was cornered and died during the fight but my Undead Hunter and Cleric were able to take Belhiphet down with liberal Shield of Lathander spam and Elixir of healing quaffing once all the minions had been cleared.

It was quite exciting that my cleric and undead hunter managed to cut Belhiphet down with the last Shield of Lathander on my Undead Hunter having just petered out ( a quite tense moment for me I must say), as Belhiphet cuts characters to ribbons within moments of them losing their protections. It gave the game an appropriately dramatic finish.
    Post edited by Cershen on
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Shield of Lathander is a great spell I also used it in the battle against B. The real fun was when my 11th level wild mage cast Absolute Immunity with a Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (Chaos Shield active ofc) with both Iron Golems uselessly pounding on her :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Ash: Well, it's an interesting combination of elements making him a... tough little son-of-a-b!+ch.

You admire it...
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100

I think one of the big problems with this fight is that Thieves are fairly useless for it: they can't disarm the traps, they have no opportunity to sneak attack, and they can't set their own traps either. A Lower Resistance spell would also be swell, as Mages don't have a big part to play in events either save for buffings and kiting around Golems while everyone else does some hurt.

I don't think this is the toughest final battle, however. Probably the least enjoyable, due to the stringent strategy limitations that it imposes upon a 6-person group, but not the toughest. IWD2's final battle is much tougher, while also allowing you to use your party however you know best to come out the victor.

This. Also, mages are all but useless due to the dispel traps and magic immunity of Belhifet and his golems. These things together essentially condemned half of my six-person party to death from the beginning. The most help my thief, mage, and dragon disciple could offer is to run around in circles to distract the golems and set off traps (that would otherwise harm my confused party members as they wandered about) while my fighters hacked away at the boss man. This fight gave me the most difficulty out of any of the Enhanced Editions. Oh, and there is no way to save after the dialogue, which means you have to watch the same conversation/actions after every reload. GREEEAAAAT . . .